View topic image gallery

20190916_194926 (resized).jpg
20190916_202604 (resized).jpg
20190916_190843 (resized).jpg
DSC00690 (resized).JPG
DSC00317b (resized).jpg
20190914_170740 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

The magnet processor board get so hot at the 5W ceramic resistor that the solder melts and the resistor falls off to the bottom of the cabinet. What is this all about?

#2 7 years ago

edit:
I was corrected. this is a known issue with some earlier games and bad magnet boards. I would contact stern (1.800.542.5377) or your local distributor about this

ps
are you running the latest firmware (1.70) on your machine? stern will probably ask which version you're running

#3 7 years ago

Is this an original game or from a newer run? The original run had issues with the magnet board. The boards would develop a bad transistor that would then allow that resistor to heat up and fall off the board. Stern should replace the magnet board for you. Chaz and Pat @ Stern have been very helpful trying to sort out the issue. I have an early original run premium. I have gone through several magnet boards with this issue. At this time I seem to have gotten one that works. It will still however sometimes just randomly blow the magnet fuse. Doesn't happen very often...just every once in awhile.

Phoebe

#4 7 years ago

I called and Stern they are not aware of the hammer magnet processor board issue. I was instructed to ohm the hammer magnet to see if faulty. It read 5.5 Ohms. I don't remember what value he said was acceptable.
I did resolder the 5W 160R back in and plug board in but did not plug hammer cable in. Got very hot immediately. I turned off game to remove that processor board. So I guess that rules out the hammer as the problem since it is not connected and resistor heats up.
I put new code in 2 months ago. I can't recall the version until I get to it check in the machine in an hour and report back.

Phoebe.... you mention a bad run. How would I know what boards are part of the bad run?
And I can't find the links to discussion on this issue. Can you supply?
Thanks!

#5 7 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magnet-board-old-and-new-w-pics-metallica-le

Here is a link to the thread, and there is also discussion about it in the MET owners thread, but it might take awhile to find it (that thread is pretty long!)

Phoebe

#6 7 years ago

There's some issues with the magnet board that Stern has not figured out. I've had two different games with the new magnet board blow fuses. I've probably spoken to Chaz half a dozen times and I've never gotten an answer. I've basically given up. The games I'm going to describe are on location, so the issues we are seeing are with the game powered on for multiple hours during the day. You may not see issues if your game is at home and played then turned off.

The first game kept blowing the fuse, this was with the revised board. After multiple calls the owner bought a new board as it was out of warranty. The new board worked fine but also blew the fuse after a few days. Basically the same issue as the first one. The owner got tired of the issues and eventually sold the game.

The second game had the old version of the magnet board. It never blew the fuse in over two years of continuous use on location. Not once. The only problem was occasional false hits. I finally called Stern and had a new board shipped to me to replace the old version (this was covered as a warranty replacement). The new board stopped the false hits, but the next day the fuse was blown. So, the old board never blew a fuse in over two years but the new board blows the fuse in a day? Something isn't right here. I put the old board back in the game and it has run for a couple months and never blown the fuse again. I'd rather have occasional false hammer strikes than a blown fuse every day.

I called Stern again and described my experience with both of these games. They were no help. So I've resigned myself to running the old board and deal with the false hits.

#7 7 years ago

So my code update is 1.7 from ActionPinball.

I just ordered a new magnet processor board from Marco and let's see what happens.
3rd board.

I love the game but not the hammer problem.

#8 7 years ago

I just called Stern on this issue. I had a replacement board about 6 weeks old that blew Fuse F7. Pat at Stern told me they are sending a new board.

#9 7 years ago

Got a new board from Marco. Working now.
Stern just informed me they would replace the board.
Good News!

1 month later
#10 7 years ago
Quoted from GameVault:

I called and Stern they are not aware of the hammer magnet processor board issue. I was instructed to ohm the hammer magnet to see if faulty. It read 5.5 Ohms. I don't remember what value he said was acceptable.

Magnet coil is supposed to be in the 3-4ohm range.

Did anyone figure out what the deal is with the new magnet boards failing? I'm on the second replacement now (third board counting the one it shipped with). It only seems to last about two months before the fuses blow. Also, the replacement boards make a high pitched sound when the magnet sensor is triggered. Super-high-pitched, like a bad arcade tube monitor "singing".

2 years later
#11 4 years ago

My MetLE magnet board failed today.
It is new version, replacing the original (defective version) by distributor when game was new.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magnet-board-old-and-new-w-pics-metallica-le

Game has been flawless until today when a puff of smoke and bad smell emanated from playfield

Coincidentally I only installed new Stern carbon balls from my Maiden LE, I was previously running ninjas until they became magnetized.
This game is very low play with only 140 games in last 5 years.

The 15P10PL Mosfet has shorted out causing the 5W ceramic resistor to cook.

Question ? Can I just replace Mosfet ?

Anyone else been down this path ?

Thanks

20190914_170740 (resized).jpg20190914_170740 (resized).jpg
#12 4 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

My MetLE magnet board failed today.
It is new version, replacing the original (defective version) by distributor when game was new.
Game has been flawless until today when a puff of smoke and bad smell emanated from playfield
Coincidentally I only installed new Stern carbon balls from my Maiden LE, I was previously running ninjas until they became magnetized.
This game is very low play with only 140 games in last 5 years.
The 15P10PL Mosfet has shorted out causing the 5W ceramic resistor to cook.
Question ? Can I just replace Mosfet ?
Anyone else been down this path ?
Thanks[quoted image]

Did you check the resistance at the coil to make sure it didn't short out and take out the board?

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Did you check the resistance at the coil to make sure it didn't short out and take out the board?

Yeah all good thanks Vic, All 3 mag coils are at 5-6 ohms

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Yeah all good thanks Vic, All 3 magnets are at 5-6 ohms

Probably a one-time mosfet event, then.

BUT, IF it happens more, then have a look at your SAM board. Stern replaced 3 or 4 magnet boards and a few coils under warranty because the boards kept blowing within about 3 months on route before Stern decided the problem might be the SAM driver board. Changed that out and never had another problem again. It was a weird one.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

BUT, IF it happens more, then have a look at your SAM board. Stern replaced 3 or 4 magnet boards and a few coils under warranty because the boards kept blowing within about 3 months on route before Stern decided the problem might be the SAM driver board. Changed that out and never had another problem again. It was a weird one.

Thanks for the heads up

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Does this actually happen? ... a coil is nothing more than a solid wire wrapped X number of times around a spool; without the entire coil melting into a blob of copper, it's actually physically impossible for the inner coil winding to contact the outer winding.

That being said ... the magnet board is designed in such a way that the resistor will draw close to 8 watts of power if the mangnet windings are open or the connection between the magnet board and magnet is broken. The original REV A magnet board had a 10W magnet board resistor that wouldn't burn under these circumstances but for some reason Stern changed this (I assume for cost) to a 5W resistor; however, the original 10W connection is still in place as well as the 10W resistor silk screen on the top side.

How do I know all this?

This happened to me as well.

DSC00317b (resized).jpgDSC00317b (resized).jpg

My replacement board from Stern now has the appropriate 10W resistor installed as I modified this before installing the board. Please note that this resistor is also elevated off the board so that in the rare event it burns, it cannot take the board with it.

DSC00690 (resized).JPGDSC00690 (resized).JPG

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Does this actually happen? ... a coil is nothing more than a solid wire wrapped X number of times around a spool; without the entire coil melting into a blob of copper, it's actually physically impossible for the inner coil winding to contact the outer winding.

I've definitely had coils short out in the middle and take out transistors, so it happens for sure.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, that is really weird, So it appears the SAM board only drives the Sparky and Graveyard magnets.
The separate driver board under the PF is for Hammer lock magnet only.
I re-checked impedance of all Mag coils and they measured the same about 5 ohms.

I have replaced Mosfet and upsized resistor,

This has got coffin lock working perfect again Such a cool mech

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

20190916_190843 (resized).jpg20190916_190843 (resized).jpg20190916_202604 (resized).jpg20190916_202604 (resized).jpg20190916_194926 (resized).jpg20190916_194926 (resized).jpg
#19 4 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Yeah, that is really weird, So it appears the SAM board only drives the Sparky and Graveyard magnets.
The separate driver board under the PF is for Hammer lock magnet only.

I think that's because the magnet for the coffin lock senses resistance change when the ball goes over the magnet post to know when to grab the ball, and the sparky and graveyard don't. That logic is what goes back to the SAM board and may be why replacing the SAM board fixed our magnet board issues when replacing one board after another and the magnet didn't.

5 months later
#20 4 years ago

If anyone could tell me where to source the resistor 10W 160R J and the Mosfet 15P10PL, I'd really appreciate it. My web searches have turned up nothing....

Thanks in Advance

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from John-from-PA:

If anyone could tell me where to source the resistor 10W 160R J and the Mosfet 15P10PL, I'd really appreciate it. My web searches have turned up nothing....
Thanks in Advance

Mouser has the mosfet:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Infineon-Technologies/SPP15P10PL-H?qs=sGAEpiMZZMshyDBzk1%2FWi5ISJmYFIFJTSWc4jjkDnbo%3D

I'm sure they have the resistor or a sub, too.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'm sure they have the resistor or a sub, too.

They do:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/603-SQP10AJB-160R

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'm glad you mentioned this as I just lost another board, this one is an odd failure though as all I have to do is power cycle the machine and it starts working again, but fails after a couple of locks. I'm starting to suspect that there is an issue with either the +5V power or the communications with the driver board. I may have to swap in my driver from Star trek and see if it fixes it.

#24 4 years ago

Thank you both very much!

#25 4 years ago

Even with my less than perfect soldering skills Metallica is now back up and running - thanks for the help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 25.50
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-hammer-magnet-board-melts-resistor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.