• Latest reply 11 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I'm really not crazy about this caricature artwork. The artwork is just ok for me.
I was expecting something cooler. Like the LE version having a better of master of puppets
cabinet in more detail. A maching Master of Puppets back glass. Original band members on
the playfield and not cartoons. The chair should be from ride the lightning, not a toy. I love
the Premium cabinet but it still comes with that bad backglass and all other graffiti cartoon
figures. I'm not knocking the band and I hope this game is really fun and better looking
in person. I'm not feeling the Saturday morning cartoon look of it. That's all.

#2 11 years ago

I think you should go back to bed or take another cup of coffee to wake up your senses. Lol. Kidding... But I just think it was time stern went back to artwork vs. Photographs on the playfield.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from barakawins:

I'm not feeling the Saturday morning cartoon look of it. That's all.

What channel runs Saturday morning cartoons that look like this? I want to watch!

#4 11 years ago

Sounds like its not the pin for you . I recommend you pass on buying an LE based on your impressions.

#5 11 years ago

I think it looks great that way. Remember the way pinball use to look. It's better than real life pics just pasted on a playfield. It's real art work. I hope they see the way this sell's and start to do it more.

#6 11 years ago

I'm watching them right now. Johnny Quest on Cartoon Network. LOL!

#7 11 years ago

Having original band members would make the playfield have that Photoshop look that everyone hates....cartooning it has more of a classic pinball look.

#8 11 years ago

art simply rules

#9 11 years ago

I'm not a fan of the theme at all, but I do actually like the playfield artwork compared to Stern's usual!

#10 11 years ago

Look at the ACDC cabinet and artwork in comparison. I think ACDC looks 100% better with the
band members. It captures the pure ACDC rock vibe. I guess that's what I'm comparing it too. I hope the game plays great though. I love the music.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from barakawins:

I'm watching them right now. Johnny Quest on Cartoon Network. LOL!

Its Johnny Test not Quest... OMG I need help!

#12 11 years ago

Hahah! That's funny!

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from barakawins:

I'm really not crazy about this caricature artwork. The artwork is just ok for me.
I was expecting something cooler. Like the LE version having a better of master of puppets
cabinet in more detail. A maching Master of Puppets back glass. Original band members on
the playfield and not cartoons. The chair should be from ride the lightning, not a toy. I love
the Premium cabinet but it still comes with that bad backglass and all other graffiti cartoon
figures. I'm not knocking the band and I hope this game is really fun and better looking
in person. I'm not feeling the Saturday morning cartoon look of it. That's all.

Robert Trujillo is a member of Metallica, people need to get over the fact that Dave Mustaine was booted out early on, Cliff Burton was killed and Jason Newstead chose to leave to make his own album. Why would they even consider putting original band members on this machine leaving out the current intact members. As far as the artwork, best thing that Stern, and Metallica, could have done.... Not using photos. Great move!

#14 11 years ago

I do not care for ACDC or Metallica. If Metallica plays great I will buy one over ACDC because of art on the pin. I just can't spend $6000 on ACDC because the graphics. The cartoony art on the Metallica is light years better than the ACDC art package IMHO.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from barakawins:

Look at the ACDC cabinet and artwork in comparison. I think ACDC looks 100% better with the band members.

Wow. I love my AC/DC and probably won't buy Metallica but I could not disagree more with this. The art package on AC/DC is the only thing I'd change. Different strokes...

#16 11 years ago

The Dirty Donny art is what pushes this over the top. I'm a bigger fan of him than I am of Metallica.

The LE looks totally insane, and the pro looks cool too.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from pinhacker71:

I do not care for ACDC or Metallica. If Metallica plays great I will buy one over ACDC because of art on the pin. I just can't spend $6000 on ACDC because the graphics. The cartoony art on the Metallica is light years better than the ACDC art package IMHO.

Agree completely

#18 11 years ago

Except for the Prem backglass, everything about this game looks awesome.. especially the caricature art IMO.
Sorry you don't like it.

#19 11 years ago

I think the artwork is great. But people need to realize that it's not custom for the pin. Metallica has been using this artwork for years. If they went the non caricature artwork, the game would look more like the premium; and well, need I say more...?

#20 11 years ago

The art is the best part and the music of course.

Did you not read the 456 posts about people hating the premium translite.

People don't want photoshopped clipart crap

#21 11 years ago

cartoony art and all the great looking toys is the best thing gary ever did.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I think the artwork is great. But people need to realize that it's not custom for the pin. Metallica has been using this artwork for years. If they went the non caricature artwork, the game would look more like the premium; and well, need I say more...?

They didn't just take Dirty Donny stuff and slap it on the game. He actually worked on the game.

#23 11 years ago

To me, its the best artwork Stern has probably ever done, end of story. To each his own I guess.

#24 11 years ago

Hmmmmm. The more I look at the artwork, it's starting to grow on me a little. I do like
the premium cabinet better though.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

Except for the Prem backglass, everything about this game looks awesome.. especially the caricature art IMO.
Sorry you don't like it.

Heard a rumor that Stern has gotten lots of negative feedback on the Premium BG and are considering changing it to something more inline with the other 2 models. Hope the rumor is accurate...

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Heard a rumor that Stern has gotten lots of negative feedback on the Premium BG and are considering changing it to something more inline with the other 2 models. Hope the rumor is accurate...

I'm actually considering a pro for that reason alone.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Meaning how ugly the premium is.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Not sure how they didn't see that coming. You've got 2 models with the most brilliant and cohesive art package they've ever done...and 1 that looks like it could fit in a lineup with Raven & Gold Wings (AKA games no one wants cuz the translites BLOW).

Part of me wonders if this is is some brilliant marketting bluff. Everyone sees the Premium and goes "FUUUUUUCK NO" and snatches the LE, causing the instant sellout. Then - they change the Premium art before it goes into production, people who missed out on the LE rejoice, and buy tons of Premiums.

Well, they're probably not THAT brilliant....lol....but seriously, I bet the Premium is NOT pre-selling in numbers that make sense considering how fast the LE sold. Hopefully they're going "Well, it's obviously the horrible art" and changing it before any translites are actually printed. Since the Prem wasn't going to be in production till June, fingers crossed on a Premium translite swap before production!!!!

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

nd 1 that looks like it could fit in a lineup with Raven & Gold Wings

OUCH! Too bad you're right

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Not sure how they didn't see that coming. You've got 2 models with the most brilliant and cohesive art package they've ever done...and 1 that looks like it could fit in a lineup with Raven & Gold Wings (AKA games no one wants cuz the translites BLOW).
Part of me wonders if this is is some brilliant marketting bluff. Everyone sees the Premium and goes "FUUUUUUCK NO" and snatches the LE, causing the instant sellout. Then - they change the Premium art before it goes into production, people who missed out on the LE rejoice, and buy tons of Premiums.
Well, they're probably not THAT brilliant....lol....but seriously, I bet the Premium is NOT pre-selling in numbers that make sense considering how fast the LE sold. Hopefully they're going "Well, it's obviously the horrible art" and changing it before any translites are actually printed. Since the Prem wasn't going to be in production till June, fingers crossed on a Premium translite swap before production!!!!

i'm sure something will be different if it's true about another version of the premium, and yes le's probably sold out because of that premium translite.

#31 11 years ago

While I agree the premium BG is terrible, I like the cabinet art on the premium because it is a throwback to the live sh*t box set. With that said, I still like the pro and LE cabinet art more. A pro backglass installed in a premium is the way to go IMO, that way you get to experience all features.

If my wife and I were not expecting our first child in July and preparing to become a one-income household, I would have already placed an order for what would be my first pin. Damn fiscal responsibility! I already have a CD of metallica lullabyes for our kid. Cool toys, great art, and a theme that really resonate with me; even if it fails to live up to the expectations of the masses I am going to be in the market for one of these in a few years.

If anyone in the Atlanta area is picking one of these up, I have a sixer of craft beer for you if you will have me over for a few games. Keep it metal!

#32 11 years ago

I LOVE IT!!! EVERY SQUARE INCH OF IT!

#33 11 years ago

Where is the thread on how bad the Premium art blows? I want to jump in as I agree 100%. The Premium art package blows. I will buy a Premium if Stern changes the art package to match the Dirty Donny art used on the LE and Pro.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

You don't play the cabinet or translite.

Pro looks good, but I sure as hell wouldn't give up some of the cool features that you give up by getting the pro instead of the Premium simply because the cab and translite look better. Plus you can put a pro translite in the Premium.

I personally have no problem with the Premium cabinet. But the translite is really bad.

#35 11 years ago

Dirty Donny Rocks!!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#36 11 years ago

Photoshopping on playfields sucks.
Period.

#37 11 years ago

Just to add my opinion, this pin is getting veryvery close to the piece of art that W/B pins used to be. You guys know I dont like Stern but If I was a Mettalica fan I would be selling shit to buy this one. I just hope for you guys sake that the rules are developed to the point that the gameplay doesnt blow like X-Men.

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Couldn't agree more. Stern saw people talking about how they're not preordering LEs anymore cause of history's past. So what do they do...create a premium that looks uglier than a horses ass; brilliant!!!!

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You don't play the cabinet or translite.
Pro looks good, but I sure as hell wouldn't give up some of the cool features that you give up by getting the pro instead of the Premium simply because the cab and translite look better. Plus you can put a pro translite in the Premium.
I personally have no problem with the Premium cabinet. But the translite is really bad.

Ya, but when I'm playing my other games...those bald guys are gonna be looking right at me!

#40 11 years ago

They have to make the game approachable.....can't have dark scary images on it

#41 11 years ago

Think you're gunna be on the 'losing' end of this one. I think most people are going to enjoy the fact the playfield looks like a pinball playfield.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 149.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-great-looking-pin-but and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.