Topic Stats

• 91 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Aurich
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago

Met pro is my first modern Stern purchase. I think I lucked out!

#52 4 years ago

In my short 2 years in the hobby I've purchased 3 NIB machines:

Metallica Premium (Roadcase)
AC/DC Premium (Luci)
Star Trek Premium

I'm very satisfied with all of my choices. Metallica is still my favorite though.

#53 4 years ago

In my 24 years in the hobby I've purchased one NIB.Metallica Monsters.Should be here next week.Can't wait

#54 4 years ago

I owned met for a while. Huge fan of the band but the code was meh for me. It felt like a bunch of awesome ideas thrown into one pin that weren't integrated well together. This is all of course my opinion. I just wish you were required to do more to get to wizard mode. Multi balls seemed pointless. Am I missing something? I will say that the game plays amazing and the shots are awesome!

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from vintage4life:

I owned met for a while. Huge fan of the band but the code was meh for me. It felt like a bunch of awesome ideas thrown into one pin that weren't integrated well together. This is all of course my opinion. I just wish you were required to do more to get to wizard mode. Multi balls seemed pointless. Am I missing something? I will say that the game plays amazing and the shots are awesome!

Yes, you missed something.

#56 4 years ago

Uh, I'm going with you missed a lot, yeah, but maybe you didn't keep it until the code was done? You didn't even mention crank it up, which makes me thing you didn't.

#57 4 years ago

Never cared much for Metallica when it came out.
But after the rules became as stellar as they are, combined with the awesome shots, artwork and dots, I find myself saving up to purchase one soon.
Oh and thanks to Pinball Browser, I can fix the only bad part of the game. The music.

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I've come to the conclusion that this whole chore (chopping wood) effect is solely based upon each individual's feelings about that particular game.
There are (or where before the big update) a lot of people who feel like playing ST is like chopping wood with all of the repetitive modes. I have never felt that way when playing ST (nor have many others). I have felt that way playing MET (sometimes). To me it starts to feel like "bash this 100x and then bash that 100x.
So really it just boils down to how "you" feel about a particular game. If the rules jive with you and you just "get it" then you'll never have that chopping wood feeling. If the theme or especially the rules don't jive with you then it will start to feel like chopping wood.

Well of course, that's what makes pinball pinball. It's why I've never gotten into that "discussion" on Pinside about one game being "better" then another. It just makes no sense arguing about such a subject. Different people like different things about different games....that's why there are sooooo many different games out there. The whole discussion about one game being "better" then another is just stupid. All it does is create bad feelings between us and I wish Pinsiders would stop doing it. End of rant.

#59 4 years ago

I should be receiving my MET PRO in about 2 weeks. I'm having it all pimped out with color DMD, purple powder coated, shaker ect....I reading about the premium and wondering if I made the right choice but it seems the pro all modded out can hold its own against the premium, at least that's what I'm hoping. I have an AC/DC prem and couldn't be happier. I would have gotten the prem MET but at the time when I ordered people were swearing the hammer was an issue. Now I hear different. In any case this may be the one game where the margins between pro and prem are the closest so far.

#60 4 years ago

Lay out wise i agree totaly, with fantastic and very different shots (are you reading Smaug?). The main toy, Sparky is fantastic too. But it is also one of the few things i dont like. Cause sparky and Met? I dont get it. Makes no sense.

But Met pro is still number 1 on my 'wish i could have/afford it list'.

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

Lay out wise i agree totaly, with fantastic and very different shots (are you reading Smaug?). The main toy, Sparky is fantastic too. But it is also one of the few things i dont like. Cause sparky and Met? I dont get it. Makes no sense.
But Met pro is still number 1 on my 'wish i could have/afford it list'.

Ride the lightning...

#62 4 years ago

Yeah well, if sparky would have been replaced by a Gary Stern muppit, the ride the lightning connection would still be as clear as it is now.

Just a minor thing though. Does not interfere with gameplay.

#63 4 years ago

No I had the updated code. Liked it less and less the more updates that came out. Wizard mode = 4 ciu completions? Never got that far.

#64 4 years ago

No I had the updated code. Liked it less and less the more updates that came out. Wizard mode = 4 ciu completions? Never got that far.

Wait, I'm confused, you never got there, but you're complaining that you didn't have to do enough to get to the wizard mode?

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Wait, I'm confused, you never got there, but you're complaining that you didn't have to do enough to get to the wizard mode?

Haha no. Ciu was tough to get to and do from what I remember. What I was trying to say is I was hoping that the multi balls would have been tied into actually getting to wizard mode. Like I said it's been a while since I've owned it but what's the point of grave, sparky, snake and coffin multi ball? Besides it being fun and points. Is there a strategy I'm missing?

#66 4 years ago

nailed it when I locked down #89 LE... someone after me in my family will have to deal with this one.

loved the band since circa '83 ,, when kill'em all was TABOO to listen to. "what is that crap music" is what everyone said. BOOOO YAAAA

many say the band sold out.. yeah yeah, the timed the sell out perfectly when the realized that metal music was on the "outs" and grunge (Nirvana) was changing the music landscape. Frankly they are the only band of that music genera that stood the test of time. call it a sell out? whatever.

who woulda thunk it that a band that had a album cover with an hammer, hand, and blood stains in 1983 has a pinball machine in 2015.

Best Stern ever? One of the best pins ever? debate away... my vote is yes on both!

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

I should be receiving my MET PRO in about 2 weeks. I'm having it all pimped out with color DMD, purple powder coated, shaker ect....I reading about the premium and wondering if I made the right choice but it seems the pro all modded out can hold its own against the premium, at least that's what I'm hoping. I have an AC/DC prem and couldn't be happier. I would have gotten the prem MET but at the time when I ordered people were swearing the hammer was an issue. Now I hear different. In any case this may be the one game where the margins between pro and prem are the closest so far.

You chose wisely and you're going to love it. I speak from personal experience.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

I reading about the premium and wondering if I made the right choice but it seems the pro all modded out can hold its own against the premium, at least that's what I'm hoping.

Sorry bro - wrong choice

#69 4 years ago

Haha no. Ciu was tough to get to and do from what I remember. What I was trying to say is I was hoping that the multi balls would have been tied into actually getting to wizard mode. Like I said it's been a while since I've owned it but what's the point of grave, sparky, snake and coffin multi ball? Besides it being fun and points. Is there a strategy I'm missing?

So yeah, you can use your multiballs to help your CIU progression by hitting the locked in shots (like what you're doing to progress towards Seek and Destroy) to collect the items. You're going to have a pretty tough time qualifying all those CIU modes without doing that.

Anyone who's on the fence: get a Premium, you won't regret it.

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

So yeah, you can use your multiballs to help your CIU progression by hitting the locked in shots (like what you're doing to progress towards Seek and Destroy) to collect the items. You're going to have a pretty tough time qualifying all those CIU modes without doing that.
Anyone who's on the fence: get a Premium, you won't regret it.

Well maybe I'll give it another shot and pickup a premium this time. Still think it would of been more well rounded if you had to say pull the switch on sparky. defeat the snake. Get super jackpot on grave & coffin. Then complete a few ciu modes to get to wizard mode. Hey if your going to have that many shots/multiballs/modes you might as well take the rules to lotr status!

#71 4 years ago

Stern has put a lot of great pins out "lately". Metallica is just one of them.

#72 4 years ago

Well maybe I'll give it another shot and pickup a premium this time. Still think it would of been more well rounded if you had to say pull the switch on sparky. defeat the snake. Get super jackpot on grave & coffin. Then complete a few ciu modes to get to wizard mode. Hey if your going to have that many shots/multiballs/modes you might as well take the rules to lotr status!

I still haven't come close, please don't make it harder!

It's truly one of my all time favorite games, Borg and Lyman really managed to take a somewhat rough and slow start and turn it into one hell of a game. And it has pretty much my all time favorite dots too. From any era/company.

#73 4 years ago

Multi balls seemed pointless. Am I missing something? I will say that the game plays amazing and the shots are awesome!

Multiballs are pretty meaningless & pretty much only used as a way to get to the crank it up modes. There are some points available but only if you have something more lucrative stacked with it (S&D or Fuel).

#74 4 years ago

Multiballs get you towards Blackened way quicker. Be smashin' up on those pick targets in multiball.

#75 4 years ago

wow, this topic is becoming the best "Stern MET free commercial"
Gary is happy (and let's admit we're too !)

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

I should be receiving my MET PRO

dont worry, as OK, the PREM is better if you get no bug with the snake lock (is this OK now ?), which is a real cool toy
but the PRO is a killer too for sure

#77 4 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Multiballs get you towards Blackened way quicker. Be smashin' up on those pick targets in multiball.

Another point that the actual multiballs are only good for advancing other things. Scoring is quite meaningless in the actual multiballs.

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Another point that the actual multiballs are only good for advancing other things. Scoring is quite meaningless in the actual multiballs.

True. There's no sense of having to "complete" the multiballs. Although, like in LOTR say, I always feel a multiball is a much more satisfying device when you ARE using it to get to something else more efficiently/safely/quickly.

#79 4 years ago

I love Metallica, I agree it is one of the best Stern's in a while, I would also include AC/DC to the list of great recent offerings, and not just because of the theme, it plays great, I love the canon jackpot gimmick as well.

#80 4 years ago

Thanks to all who replied. Again it seems down the middle about the prem and the pro, 1 person said good choice another said bad and yet another was in the middle !

#81 4 years ago

The one at The Waterfront in San Diego, all modded out, is one of the most beautiful pins I've ever played.

Gameplay wise, it's growing on me. Still would rather play AC/DC though.

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

Thanks to all who replied. Again it seems down the middle about the prem and the pro, 1 person said good choice another said bad and yet another was in the middle !

If you can afford it get the Premium. No question. If you can't the Pro is a great game.

But the extra toys and the light show are awesome, and make an awesome game even better. My guess is this will be the last time you can buy a Premium, doubt they'll run them again after this given how long they were not making them before.

#83 4 years ago

it's a fu*&ing kick ass game, bruh

#84 4 years ago

I've got the decision pro vs premium to make this week. I had a premium early on and sold it quick because of the hammer issues and clunkiness of it. Maybe it was that machine and the lack of code. The multiball intro to the coffin multiball was sweet. Lighting was awesome too. I'm sure its only gotten better. Is there anything code wise that only pertains to the premium/ le that you can't get on the pro?

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

Is there anything code wise that only pertains to the premium/ le that you can't get on the pro?

Not really, but they do play a little differently. Physical ball locks mean you get more chances at the skill shot. The opening and closing snake mouth means it's both a switch and a scoop, which plays better IMHO. I like hitting all the picks during multiball and opening the snake's mouth for instance. The color changing inserts are a big help with seeing the modes and shots and multipliers etc.

But really it's the same game. I think the Premium/LE is better. But nothing at all wrong with the Pro.

Biggest difference is the GI light show is killer now, once I saw that I knew I couldn't get a Pro.

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Biggest difference is the GI light show is killer now, once I saw that I knew I couldn't get a Pro.

And apologies again for self promotion, but a reminder that this will be available very shortly as a mod for the pro.

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

And apologies again for self promotion, but a reminder that this will be available very shortly as a mod for the pro.

Please send me info or a link to where I can learn more. Would like to add this to my Pro...

#89 4 years ago

Just stumbled on this a few minutes ago.
Pretty cool version of Metallica's One.

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

My wallet lies in wait. Stop teasing me...

#91 4 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

No apologies necessary man, what you're doing is killer. I actually forgot about it. I'm still a fan of the Premium, but if you do get a Pro make sure you check out this guy's product (coming to market soon). He's got a way to do the same awesome dynamic GI on the Pro. However you do it make sure you get the light show, it makes the game so much better.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 50.00
There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside