(Topic ID: 137169)

Metallica fuse

By Gremlin818

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

I replaced this fuse and now it looks like it has a fire inside the fuse but when I turn it off it not their.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Your fuse will blow. Is it the correct value? Your underlining issue from the shaker is still going on in my opinion

#3 8 years ago

Oh the other fuse was a lf.4a/250vp i put a new one on that just a 4a and 250v

#4 8 years ago

F11 is supposed to be a 4A fuse. That fuse is for the 5VDC logic power (Bridge 5).

#5 8 years ago

Just a 4a

#6 8 years ago

Has to be Slow blow fuse ?

#7 8 years ago

Yeah send a picture of the package of the fuses. Your in a risk of doing additional damage something is not right or your shutting it down really quick

#8 8 years ago

You'd probably get more and better information if you kept everything in a single thread.

#9 8 years ago

Also do you have a meter? Wild ass guess but your BR5 is blown. youtube - how to test a bridge - simple to do. Logically it would be a good place to start you sent voltage in odd directions could short out a diode rather easy. If you can verify that its bad then send out for repair based on your questions do not attempt to do this yourself.

#11 8 years ago

Ok thanks

#12 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#13 8 years ago

Well you did purchase the correct fuse. 4AMP Slow Blow… Hmmmmmm So its time for complete speculation on my side. 1) the fuse is defective, try another its going to blow. The overage is slight and it will last for up to 4 hours - like your at 110% of the voltage not enough to make an instant fail but out of spec enough to eventually burn it out.

Also how long are you letting it glow before shutting it down? I have seen this on my games with an issue before. you had the problem your replacing the fuse, you see it look funky you shut it off before it blows. This is possible if the voltage is higher then what it should be but not crazy to cause instant failure.

#14 8 years ago

Also with the others please try to keep one post - I see now in your other thread you do have a issue with you DMD as well. I am assuming you made the same dumb mistake I made on my game with regards to the shaker (and from thread 7 you mentioned that). It will have blown out the display, the only fix was a new display…… but your blowing fuses - the glow will blow. So and this is outside of my knowledge of the S.A.M because its the logic part of the board, if you unplug the display does the fuse stop glowing?

#15 8 years ago

Thanks for the idea

#16 8 years ago

do i need a new dmd screen?

#17 8 years ago

i put a new fuse in same thing nothing worked

#18 8 years ago

Unplug the dmd does it change

#19 8 years ago

Oh ok let me see

#20 8 years ago

No the fuse is fine now when I unplugged the dmd

#21 8 years ago

Do I need a new dmd

#22 8 years ago

I'm going to say, yes. New is about $250, but you can find used ones for $150ish.

Before doing that, remove the shaker. Then play many games without the DMD to make sure there isn't other damage in the game.

When you get the DMD. Install but don't hook up the shaker. Play test the machine with the DMD to make sure things are still ok.

DO NOT INSTALL THE SHAKER UNTIL YOU ARE CERTAIN IT'S THE CORRECT ONE AND CONNECTED CORRECTLY.

I'm sure you are learning this has been an expensive mistake.

#23 8 years ago

Ok thank you for the help I'm looking to maybe get a color dmd

#24 8 years ago

If you get a new dmd remember that's it's a led one not a plasma type but color dmd would work just fine

#25 8 years ago

Ok thank you for the help I appreciate it

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-fuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.