(Topic ID: 160012)

Metallica Flipper Coil - Can I Use Diode Version?

By mrgregb123

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by merccat
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Metallica uses flipper coils 090-5020-30-ND but neither PB Life or Marco sell this specific part. They only sell the diode version. Can I buy this one and then I guess clip off the diode? Is that what I should do or do I need to seek out the one specifically without the diode?

#2 7 years ago

Don't cut them off, the diodes are simply protection devices for the coils. It hurts nothing to leave them there.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Don't cut them off, the diodes are simply protection devices for the coils. It hurts nothing to leave them there.

On Metallica, there is a diode on the power driver PCB, so one on the coil is redundant. You can remove it, or leave it on there; it really doesn't make any difference. Just make sure that if you do leave it on there that you hook up the wires the right way. The 50V wire needs to be connected to the cathode (end with the band). If not, you'll burn up something (likely the flipper transistor) right quick.

#4 7 years ago

If the game has DOTS(diode on terminal strip), I would always cut the diode off if it comes with one. Whether it will cause a malfunction or not, it would certainly add confusion on a future repair and it's good to keep things as they were intended.

#5 7 years ago

You learn something every day, I had not realized that they moved the diode to the board. Great idea since that is what it protects anyway. Should make service that much easier not having to make sure you wire the coil properly. Not that its hard but one less thing to think about while repairing on route can be a good thing. The only drawback is that where before you always got a new diode installed at the same time as coils, now it will be quite a bit harder to replace... But away from the harsh coil they probably won't need replacement nearly as frequently.

Also, the purpose of the diode is not to protect the coil which electricly isn't much more than a long piece of thin wire tightly wound together and does not care which way the current flows. The diode is there because when the coil's magnetic field collapses it produces an electric current that without the diode would be free to travel back up to the driver boards electronics thereby frying them. The job of the diode is to block that.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#6 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

You learn something every day, I had not realized that they moved the diode to the board.

Actually, I misspoke earlier when I said that. LOTR_breath is more accurate in saying it's DOTS. The important thing, however, is that the diode is not directly on the coil, and if you turn it the wrong way, bad things will happen.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Actually, I misspoke earlier when I said that. LOTR_breath is more accurate in saying it's DOTS. The important thing, however, is that the diode is not directly on the coil, and if you turn it the wrong way, bad things will happen.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replaced-stern-flipper-coil-blows-fuse-each-time

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Also, the purpose of the diode is not to protect the coil

This is correct. Typing fingers not attached to brain that day.

#10 7 years ago

Hate it when that happens... Even worse is when my car suddenly decides to go somewhere other than my intended destination.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z
Interactive
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-flipper-coil-can-i-use-diode-version and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.