(Topic ID: 119376)

Metallica sinks to 14th... Where do you rate it?

By pinchamp

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 258 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Where does MET rate for your top list”

• Top 1 12 votes
    4%
  • Top 5 63 votes
    24%
  • Top 10 51 votes
    19%
  • Top 20 57 votes
    21%
  • Top 50 84 votes
    31%

(267 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0185.JPG
beerrr.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 9 years ago

*flamesuit activate*
Owned met prem for about 4 mos or so.big fan of the band and enjoyed it (and still do) playing on location. But in a huo collection, the game is a drug; you get super high off it at first but after a little time your left in a gutter and can't seem to find anymore highs.

It's a fun game and has a mix of Lyman's worst programming, yet best creativity at the same time. Starting modes and progressing through the game is an absolute grind; if you look up the overrated term 'wood chopping' in websters dictionary, you'll probably get a clear picture of metallica pinball. That said, the creative portion of Lyman's rules are amazing which unfortunately land a little flat in this simple fan layout pin. Seek and destroy, sparky mb, coffin mb, cross mb, piston lane, ciu's, the skill shots, all of the rules to each mode is genius! Unfortunately, they don't mesh well together in this layout and when the honeymoon is over it becomes such a gut wrenching grind.

Still a fun pin and enjoy playing it on location, but it's one of the very few pins i don't miss.

#149 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yes, yes. I like mode based games, but not when it's pointless to play if you're not in a mode. I prefer games with multiple approaches. Like Shadow is a mode based game, but you have other things to shoot for if you're not in a mode. If you couldn't do anything in that game unless you kept making that saucer shot it would be annoying.

But that's my problem with Metallica; there really isn't many different approaches to it and there's a ton in ST. I can go for the destroy the Drill scoring method which relies on going for Nero 3 and PD then lighting DTR up. Or I can go for depth and get my KB3 and STE3 ready for multiballs and get a double 3 in a row ready for double scoring - this strat ends up in e.amok on good games. Or I can go the conservative boring route and play the missions linear getting Kobayashi mb and going for amok. Or I can play out the GAT missions for diversity. Or I can go for the KB3 exploit. Not to mention the intensity of playing the multiballs and vengeance 2 is always adrenalin filled playing for an EB. That's not to say there aren't bug flaws with ST cause there are. Update incoming sooooon?

Metallica is limited on strategies. CIU; talk about being stuck in a mode - granted it's easy (yet dangerous) to get out of CIU. Blackened; hell ya great mode but holy crap what a grind to open it up, those pick targets aren't very satisfying. Sparky; awesome mb rules but gets boring and repetitive. Seek and destroy; another kick ass mode that's a grind to get started. I can go on but you get the idea, Metallica has great rules on its modes, but strategies and opening modes are very grindy.

bottom line both games has pros and cons just so happens my pros in ST are other people's cons and vice versa for metallica

#154 9 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

You know I love you SKB, but I couldn't disagree more on these two games, at least at the current state of code. Here are my thoughts. When I am playing Met, I am having fun at whatever I am progressing, and in the mode that I am playing. Even as you state - Blackened = fun, CIUs = fun, SnD = fun, even Fuel and Justice = fun. All 4 multiballs are varied but more importantly fun. But in addition, the beauty of Met's rules is that there is choice in what to shoot for and stacking which does not close you off from progress in the game.
Key difference for me with ST is that the modes just aren't diverse or more importantly fun. Level 1's are an absolute joke. You are stuck in the same mode for 30 seconds regardless of how well you shoot. And each mode feels the same. Bland and boring. And God help you if you start a MB before stating a mode. You are locked out from progress. Now I have to keep hearing "Klingon Jackpot!" over and over when I just want to progress in other parts of the game. But I can't. Because there is no stacking. So keep grinding on a MB, waiting to drain so that I can get on to other parts of the game.
And who the hell cares about the galactic "modes". These aren't modes.
After playing ST a few times, I feel like I don't need to play again for months. I just don't find it fun at all.

I love you too man!
Ya the level 1 missions are an issue according to the masses. I don't find them that big a deal as I use that time to build my warps and prepare for a double scoring stack. Or I'll do galaxtic ramps and have FUN going left ramp - right ramp to mix things up. Getting 30-50 mil in a galactic mode is no joke but it does prolong progression towards kobayashi or amok.

The argument about Klingon mb is interesting. First, if you start Klingon mb from the mission start your guaranteed to have a mission running. If you start it from vengeance without starting a mission, that's your own fault and many many games have something similar that's just as punishing. It's strategy and thinking about your shot matrix prior to doing things. That's why I love ST, much more thought involved whereas Metallica it's just hitting the ball around grinding away and unlocking features. and as cool as 'jack fucking pot' is....nothing beats the two main jackpot call outs in Klingon MB (DOOUUUBBBLE JAAAACKPOT and Double SOUUUUPPER jackpot) they are honestly on par with gimilis super jp call outs. It's just that they are more rare because harder to achieve which makes it even better to get

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanted
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 64.99
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-finally-in-the-top-10-where-do-you-rate-it?tu=eskaybee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.