(Topic ID: 119376)

Metallica sinks to 14th... Where do you rate it?

By pinchamp

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 258 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Where does MET rate for your top list”

• Top 1 12 votes
    4%
  • Top 5 63 votes
    24%
  • Top 10 51 votes
    19%
  • Top 20 57 votes
    21%
  • Top 50 84 votes
    31%

(267 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

100_0185.JPG
beerrr.jpg
image.jpg

There are 258 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 5 years ago

Edit: this post was celebrating MET reaching top 10 on Pinside rankings. It was said that by bringing this up haters would drop it down and funny that it has happened. Nothing else went up but MET has dropped down.

It has made it. MET is now officially a top 10 game. No one can dispute that as the Pinside top 10 rankings now prove it.

Just kidding. I know this is a subjective matter but I do believe it is a top 10 game. Having owned since NIB it is still the game I play the most and look forward to playing each and every time.

IMO it should be a bit higher... Actually a top 5 game for me personally. What do you think? Where does MET sit with regards to your own top list?

image.jpg

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Where does MET sit with regards to your own top list?

Seems to be 10 on my list.

#3 5 years ago

I guess I'm in the tiny minority. I just didn't like it. I tried to, at last year's SFGE, played it quite a few times but just didn't like it. I think I'm just tired of the "center bash" design. Bleh.

Not for me.

#4 5 years ago

It's a good game....but not top 10. Would probably make my top 20 though.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

I think I'm just tired of the "center bash" design.

I hear that...but to be fair there isn't really a ton of center bashing going on.

Quoted from Astropin:

It's a good game....but not top 10. Would probably make my top 20 though.

I might be right there with you

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I hear that...but to be fair there isn't really a ton of center bashing going on.

Yeah, lot more to it than "hit Sparky over and over", though I guess that's probably the valid tournament strategy if you're looking to maximize points over risk.

I just still love this game, it's like the honeymoon didn't stop for me. It helps that I like the band's old catalog, and the game leans on it pretty heavily.

But really, there's so much to like. Hand drawn art instead of PR collage photoshoppery. Original callouts from the band (which are super cheesy, but they're really grown on me) plus voice acting from one of animation's greats. Cool original toys, now that I've shrunk the hammer I really like it, and Sparky might be a bash toy, but he's got a ton of personality and a great interactive feature. Never get tired of frying the little bastard.

The interactive GI color features on the Prem/Pro are great. Really adds to the mood of the game.

I enjoy how it's not a linear, mode-based game, you can approach it in lots of ways, and there's always a lot to shoot for at any time, you're never trapped or stuck. And that's because it has code from Lyman, one of the all time great pinball programmers.

Has IMHO the best dots to ever grace a DMD game. I'm so stoked on the ColorDMD coming for it. I haven't seen any sneak peeks, but Chris has been teasing me about how good it's going to look. I don't doubt it!

Definitely in my all time top 10.

#7 5 years ago

I haven't played mine in over a month. I'm taking a long break from it, and coming back to it in maybe another month so see if I have a change of heart. If I don't, it'll be gone by summer.

It's a huge bash-festival. It's got the orbits, that all too rarely don't orbit and either hit the diverter pin and get rejected back or end up in the pop bumpers. On the rare occasion it's lit to orbit, it's fun to shoot. It's got two really nice metal ramps that are nice to shoot - and the rest of the lanes are dead-end bash targets:

Piston.
Fuel.
Grave Marker.
Sparky.
Captive Ball.
Snake.

It's a whole lot of the ball not really going anywhere.

The art is great. Best Stern has ever come up with. The game isn't in my top 20 as of now, for sure.

#8 5 years ago

You can disable the orbit post if it bothers you that much.

#9 5 years ago

Probably a top 5 game for me. Certainly takes the most of my money as far as location play goes, and I'd love to own one.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You can disable the orbit post if it bothers you that much.

I bought the metal replacement that's supposed to deaden the kickbacks. I'll put that in before playing it again.

It's only one of the things about the game that bothers me. I had it disabled for a little while, but I think you need the pop hits in order to qualify the piston target, right?

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I bought the metal replacement that's supposed to deaden the kickbacks. I'll put that in before playing it again.
It's only one of the things about the game that bothers me. I had it disabled for a little while, but I think you need the pop hits in order to qualify the piston target, right?

You could play the whole game without worrying about pop hits or the piston target though. It's really a minor thing if you prefer the full orbit shot. I prefer it with the post, but it's right there in the menu, so it's not even a hack.

#12 5 years ago

I rerated it last week (my first rating was based on pre-CIU software). Went from mid-7s to upper 9s. Looks like I helped push it over the top

Awesome game. Don't get the hate on the layout; it's pretty similar to Medieval, just faster and harder (snake and cross return right back to flipper instead of being spit to side and dribbling down an orbit). Not every shot has to "flow" ... it's fun (and challenging) to nail shots to bash toys or captive balls and deal with the rebounds. Kinda like EMs, just faster. You also get nice shots like LR flipper to fuel bar to captive ball and hopefully back to the LR flipper and control. Also can be used to hammerlock balls if needed...

#13 5 years ago

It was a top 10 DMD game for about the first two of the three months I owned it, but it had no staying power. Such is the way of many "new" things with a bygone theme.

#14 5 years ago

this thread is pointless yet. Metallica is still in the honeymoon stage. Need at least 5 years before it can be truly rated.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I heard this is a huge help. That piss poor design with the plastic post irritates me. Still a good game, but time will tell if it's a top 30 or not for me.

#16 5 years ago

I definitely wasn't a big fan of it either. I ended up selling mine as NIB after getting to play it in Portland.

#17 5 years ago

I've only played it a couple of times so I'll refrain from offering an opinion.

However, it's #35 on IPDB which I consider a more comprehensive historical rating.

We'll have to wait a bit before we crown it a top 10 pin.

#18 5 years ago

Its my favorite Stern to date. But I've only had it for a few weeks. I'll come back and rate again in a month or two. But right now, this Met Prem, which plays 14 Rush songs, is #1

#19 5 years ago

I'd say it would be a top 20 for me. I had really high expectations for this game and when I finally had an opportunity to play it, I found it somewhat disappointing. Not bad, just well short of my lofty expectations.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, lot more to it than "hit Sparky over and over", though I guess that's probably the valid tournament strategy if you're looking to maximize points over risk.

There really is no incentive to continually bash sparky...it's kind of what "not" to do actually.

I'll never understand why people claim to have such a limited mindset on games they like, even though it's usually not even true. But diff'rent strokes as they say.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I haven't played mine in over a month. I'm taking a long break from it, and coming back to it in maybe another month so see if I have a change of heart. If I don't, it'll be gone by summer.
It's a huge bash-festival. It's got the orbits, that all too rarely don't orbit and either hit the diverter pin and get rejected back or end up in the pop bumpers. On the rare occasion it's lit to orbit, it's fun to shoot. It's got two really nice metal ramps that are nice to shoot - and the rest of the lanes are dead-end bash targets:
Piston.
Fuel.
Grave Marker.
Sparky.
Captive Ball.
Snake.
It's a whole lot of the ball not really going anywhere.
The art is great. Best Stern has ever come up with. The game isn't in my top 20 as of now, for sure.

+1 tamoore. It is about 25th on my list.

#22 5 years ago

I have only played 6 of the games in the top 10 list, so I don't really feel qualified to rate. It is the only pin I ever played that made me consider buying something brand new. Love it!

#23 5 years ago

Still too early to tell, but maybe 25ish is a good estimate for me.

#24 5 years ago

It is still #1 for me. I like other games, but this one is quite a bit ahead of the rest of them.

#25 5 years ago

Top 20 and a damn good stern but know near top tier. Don't miss the LE a bit other then the art and theme and music, the shots and sparky got old fast.

Code was early so don't hang me but shots were not changing.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Code was early so don't hang me but shots were not changing.

It's such a better game with the final code. Stern is so stupid to release their game all gimped like they do. Just dumb all around.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Stern is so stupid to release their game all gimped like they do.

Not when they're counting the monies all day

#28 5 years ago

Very good pin, lasted a year here, then it was like a light bulb went on (or burnt out) and I was really "done" with the pin. It's like out of nowhere it felt like too much bashing. Bash Sparky, bash the snake, bash the hammer, bash the inline targets. At the end it suddenly seemed really for me until getting to the CIU modes. And that just wasn't enough to keep me interested any longer. Definitely not a Top 10 for me in the long run.

#29 5 years ago

*flamesuit activate*
Owned met prem for about 4 mos or so.big fan of the band and enjoyed it (and still do) playing on location. But in a huo collection, the game is a drug; you get super high off it at first but after a little time your left in a gutter and can't seem to find anymore highs.

It's a fun game and has a mix of Lyman's worst programming, yet best creativity at the same time. Starting modes and progressing through the game is an absolute grind; if you look up the overrated term 'wood chopping' in websters dictionary, you'll probably get a clear picture of metallica pinball. That said, the creative portion of Lyman's rules are amazing which unfortunately land a little flat in this simple fan layout pin. Seek and destroy, sparky mb, coffin mb, cross mb, piston lane, ciu's, the skill shots, all of the rules to each mode is genius! Unfortunately, they don't mesh well together in this layout and when the honeymoon is over it becomes such a gut wrenching grind.

Still a fun pin and enjoy playing it on location, but it's one of the very few pins i don't miss.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

It has made it. MET is now officially a top 10 game.

This thread is like a dinner bell for the downvoters. I wouldn't expect it to last.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

This thread is like a dinner bell for the downvoters. I wouldn't expect it to last.

Thats actually part of the problem with the list... As much as I'm not into Star Trek, I think STTNG is a masterpiece of pinball that really deserves a spot in the top 10.

#32 5 years ago

On further reflection, I think the theme alone will keep it from being a top 10 pin.

It just doesn't have universal appeal. Players may think otherwise but many will disregard it simply for what it is, a Metallica pin.

To me it's similar to the Shadow in that regard. It's a great players game and I love the theme but it'll never be in the top 10.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

Thats actually part of the problem with the list... As much as I'm not into Star Trek, I think STTNG is a masterpiece of pinball that really deserves a spot in the top 10.

It was up there for a while about a year ago......then the haters jumped in.

It's #3 on the IPDB.....which I'm starting to think is a little more accurate overall......maybe.

#34 5 years ago

Maybe a Top 10 Stern... Top 10 of All Time... Hell No!

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

I guess I'm in the tiny minority. I just didn't like it. I tried to, at last year's SFGE, played it quite a few times but just didn't like it. I think I'm just tired of the "center bash" design. Bleh.
Not for me.

If you think it is a "centering bashing" game, then you're doing it wrong and probably having really low scoring , boring games

#36 5 years ago

Biggest Pinside Top 10 Omission: Cirqus Voltaire

Biggest Pinside Top 100 Omissions (WTF): Farfalla, Class of 1812

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

But in a huo collection, the game is a drug; you get super high off it at first but after a little time your left in a gutter and can't seem to find anymore highs.

That's some creative writing right there, and it conveys your meaning perfectly (at least to me).

#38 5 years ago

The morning I woke up at 4:30 AM in the recliner with Seek and Destroy stuck in a loop with the game still on, I knew it was over.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

That's not surprising to me, I know a lot of people who don't care for that game, it's pretty polarizing. Bombed when it came out and took a while for people to warm to it too. It's definitely not a top 10 for me either, though I don't dislike it.

Quoted from Strange:

Biggest Pinside Top 100 Omissions (WTF): Farfalla, Class of 1812

Those are titles that are somewhat more obscure, it's hard to get games in the ratings if few people have had a chance to play them. Plus the truth is after all this time there are a lot of great games, 100 isn't enough to encompass them all. That's a good thing!

Ultimately I couldn't care less. I don't rate games, I don't care where they're rated, it's a silly popularity contest. But there is value in sharing good games so people can enjoy them, so I'm down with that part. If you haven't had a chance to play Metallica with the new code, and think it's just a bash Sparky game I'd say give it another chance when you can, there's a lot more to it.

#40 5 years ago

I do agree the layout is not that creative. However it really is the strategies that can be applied that wins me over. There are just so many different ways to approach the game. Stacking Multiballs can be satisfying and rewarding but to make it to the End of Line you have to time the multiball modes so you get one at the end of each Crank It Up. Then you can utilize the mutiball to move quickly into the next CIU. Once you understand the rules it is nothing close to a bash the middle game. On my machine the snake is a tough shot and so is Sparky. With the latest code hitting Sparky can throw the ball SDTM so not sure that boring strategy is even applicable anymore... Tournament play or otherwise.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

Metallica is O.K. I would need more time on this machine. It did not grab me the 15 time's I have played it. Cirqus Voltaire with the home rom is great.

#42 5 years ago

Owned this game for some time now and feel it's become my favorite all time pin. ACDC premium is a very close runner up and possibly just as good. MET has that perfect combo of deep rules, awesome toys, flow, dots and great lights +art package. Just such a blast to play. No doubt this pin deserves to be a top 5 overall.

#43 5 years ago

It's a great game but I don't find myself wanting to play it repeatedly back to back. The game is kind of grindy--hit Sparky 10 times, hit the grave marker area 5 times (risky), bash the coffin a billion times, hit the snake 25 times (because 20 of those will brick and fall back out), etc. It's a game that requires planning and patience to score big and Crank it Up is a must if you plan on doing that, and don't get me wrong, it feels very rewarding when you do it. Personally though I prefer games that get me into to the action faster (Tron, AC\DC, etc.) and that's what keeps Metallica from being a Top 10 or Top 20 for me.

#44 5 years ago

If it is set up hard, it's one of the best. I sort of have tiers, and Metallica isn't in my top tier (IM, VND, JP), but it would be in my second tier, which has probably 5 more machines in it. So... top 8?

Having said that, I'm not a fan of the Premium one at all. It isn't about cost, it just plays better than the pro to me.

I also do find the top rankings a little weird with the different trim packages up there, but that's neither here nor there. To me, Metallica is top 10, just not the Premium.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

For me the biggest omission to top 10 is SM. I do love me some MET though such a fun pin!

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from akm:

It's a great game but I don't find myself wanting to play it repeatedly back to back. The game is kind of grindy--hit Sparky 10 times, hit the grave marker area 5 times (risky), bash the coffin a billion times, hit the snake 25 times (because 20 of those will brick and fall back out), etc. It's a game that requires planning and patience to score big and Crank it Up is a must if you plan on doing that, and don't get me wrong, it feels very rewarding when you do it. Personally though I prefer games that get me into to the action faster (Tron, AC\DC, etc.) and that's what keeps Metallica from being a Top 10 or Top 20 for me.

Hmm, where are you playing? That's not normal snake behavior at all, at least on the games I've played including mine.

I'd suggest that if you're not enjoying the "bash" stuff as much to mix it up more with lighting the seek and destroy inserts, let those rack up the items you need towards crank it up (though you will have to hit the captive ball, and if you have a Prem/LE I definitely recommend switching the block for the ball).

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'd suggest that if you're not enjoying the "bash" stuff as much to mix it up more with lighting the seek and destroy inserts, let those rack up the items you need towards crank it up.

Lighting the Seek and Destroy inserts is crucial in progressing towards Crank it Up (how else are you going to collect the items you need?), so it's something I do already, thanks.

#48 5 years ago

I love how you can progress towards any of the modes in Metallica at any given time and you are not trapped into one mode like in Star Trek. Star Trek is so linear, you have to complete whatever mode you chose, then hit the Start Mission/Away Team, before you can continue on. Sure you can do a Vengence Battle, Locks or Warp, but if you finished a mode, your most likely want to start another mode and hit that stuff while in a mode, not sit there in between modes.
In Metallica I can advance towards Seek n Destroy, Crank it Up, Lady Justice, Blackened, Fuel, or any of the 4 available multiball modes at any given time.
Also I think its great that they got the Band members to do call outs, most of them are decent and keeps with the theme of the game. Lastly kick ass artwork and music!

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from akm:

hit the snake 25 times (because 20 of those will brick and fall back out)

Is the shot not registering in the snakes mouth? I had that happen on mine, would shoot it in and the snake would spit it out but not properly register a capture. It was a simple switch adjustment to fix that problem.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from Hudson:

Is the shot not registering in the snakes mouth? I had that happen on mine, would shoot it in and the snake would spit it out but not properly register a capture. It was a simple switch adjustment to fix that problem.

No, it's just that it's a tight shot and the ball much of the time won't go all the way in. It will go halfway then jiggle out.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
8,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
There are 258 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside