553281_10201082865252565_1040461589_n..jpg
561792_10151540423654244_2097539566_n..jpg
metallica_LE.jpg
metallica_pro.jpg
images.jpeg
images-1.jpeg
metal.jpg
13.jpg
There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 11 years ago

I wanted to offer a bit of advice as I can see this as being about as misleading as the transforming Optimus Prime toy in TF.

The attached pic is in the teaser video for Metallica.. this particular concept toy is carved out of silicone rubber (I'm guessing Smooth-On OOMO 30 by its color). It's activated by a coil behind it which shakes the whole rubber piece. It's clearly a very early concept for a toy that inevitably got scrapped for the much cheaper bobble-head toy option. A shame.. the rubber toy idea would've been pretty awesome looking. Much better than the standard dashboard bobble-head look.

13.jpg13.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Yeah, I was tempted to start a "hold your horses" thread, thank you for actually doing it.

Remember:
- The transforming optimus that never was?
- All the metal ramps that were not on X-Men LE
- The "coils" mounted under the feet of the amp suit on Avatar LE?
- The spinning all spark cube on Transformers LE?
- The sheer amount of play testing the most recent games (X-Men and Avengers, I'm looking at you) have received prior to release (damn near zero, apparently)

etc, etc....

A new game comes out and people's minds geek out so bad they suddenly forget everything most people have been bitching about for the last 3 months.

I have a similar reaction (must... preorder... LE... sight... unseen) then I suddenly remember how many times this has happened. Oh, and an LE would probably cost me close to $9K delivered at this point in Canada. There's always the "heinous amount of money" issue holding me back

#3 11 years ago

yeah, nothing seen in the vid has been promised to anyone, so "hold your horses" indeed.

#4 11 years ago

The Hammer Ball Grab Thingy looks pretty cool though...

#5 11 years ago

Thanks for pointing that out. I think sometimes in the new pin jubilance that ensues, we tend to be blinded from history. That's why its wiser to wait for the final game images/videos to be released before dumping 7k on something. I nearly made that mistake with X-men and am glad I decided to hold back in the end. We have to stop doing this to ourselves. The biggest thing I'm going to have to do is maintain discipline with STLE, so you may be calling me a hypocrite in about 6 months.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

so you may be calling me a hypocrite in about 6 months.

I feel safe calling you that NOW! (er, and myself)

#7 11 years ago

STERN- the Worlds most misleading pinball company.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

STERN- the Worlds most misleading pinball company.

Heh, that should be the T-Shirt the send out with almost every LE purchase

That is when they can actually be bothered to send them out ( I understand some people weirdly never received their Tron shirts after numerous calls and promises... maybe all that got sorted out but after a year + it seemed really unlikely).

#10 11 years ago

If you look at the other one in the video - the more "final" looking one...it still appears to me made of multiple pieces/joints for some fun jiggly movement. The head is one piece, the body is another...there seems to be movement on the arms...they might also be separate or part of the body & fitted into the hands which would be part of the chair. In any case, there's move movement than just "bobblehead"

#11 11 years ago

Now now... this

metal.jpgmetal.jpg

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

In any case, there's move movement than just "bobblehead"

... we hope.

#13 11 years ago

All concept drawings and mockups you see. I'd be very surprised if the final product looks anything like these do, toy wise.

#14 11 years ago

I imagine it'll work like the green goblin on Spiderman. makes sense to reuse that mechanism.

#15 11 years ago

The first mod ought to be putting Lars's dumbass in that electric chair.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

All concept drawings and mockups you see. I'd be very surprised if the final product looks anything like these do, toy wise.

We'll see tomorrow! ...but, pretty sure the one Ted just posted is a final mold. With a spring in his neck and one behind his head, there are lots of possibilities for fun movement. It will definitely be more than the "click click" coil movement of recent toys like Hulk, Optimus, or AMP suit.

#17 11 years ago

Gotta use all those left-over WOF bobblehead springs!!

PS - re-used IJ4 captive ball also?

#18 11 years ago

Yeah, it looks like the body could move as well as the head. Legs are solid.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Gotta use all those left-over WOF bobblehead springs!!
PS - re-used IJ4 captive ball also?

Don't think so. IJ's captive ball was also a scoop that rose up and down. This is just a standard one. The Snake scoop looks pretty unique!

#20 11 years ago

I might be crazy but the imagery of the chair in this doesn't say metallica to me... but that might just be how I choose to think of metallica, for all I know an exact image of that chair might be in one of the albums. Anyways, seems more Megadeth to me. Basically, I wish they would throw that stupid chair away, and replace it with 4 horses, and then put in the 4 horseman track. Or maybe re-theme the whole thing to be like those EM horse racing games and just make it the 4 horseman pinball!

Yes, that is a dumb idea, I realize.

-ben

#21 11 years ago

What is that thing to the right of the captive ball? How do you guys make any sense of this by looking at these images?

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from monsterbaldy:

I might be crazy but the imagery of the chair in this doesn't say metallica to me... but that might just be how I choose to think of metallica, for all I know an exact image of that chair might be in one of the albums. -ben

Monster, are you joking? Have you heard of Ride the Lightning?

...I really hope that's a bad joke...

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

What is that thing to the right of the captive ball? How do you guys make any sense of this by looking at these images?

If you look at other pictures of the same area, it looks to be a scoop with a snakehead..

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

This is how stern gets a bad wrap. ALL SPECULATION. Then the final product is released and people are like, where's this and that, etc... Then after they receive their game, they feel robbed out of toys and features.

#25 11 years ago

I might be crazy but the imagery of the chair in this doesn't say metallica to me...

Stone cold crazy-o!

images-1.jpegimages-1.jpeg images.jpegimages.jpeg

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Anidor:

...I really hope that's a bad joke...

EDIT: KRUPA beat me to it.

That chair imagery, with a dude being electrocuted, is from RTL tour. One of the shirts had a guy getting shocked, and the back of the shirt had the chair with the spike on it that said 'Metal Up Your A**". Just a fresh take on that 30 year old imagery. I like it and think it fits perfectly.

#27 11 years ago

I think that the bobble head is on the pro and a head with a coil on the LE

you can see the LE whitewood and the pro withwood in the movie.
the pro has a non-moving cross with no drops, no hammer with magnet and the guy in the chair has (I think) no coil behind it but just a bobble head

metallica_pro.jpgmetallica_pro.jpg metallica_LE.jpgmetallica_LE.jpg

#28 11 years ago

I am not much of a fan of the band, but the game shows some promise IMHO. I am interested in what stays and what gets cut for the final production game.

I can remember that the inline drops were supposed to be in front of the treasure chest in POTC and they were cut. Hope the same doesn't happen here.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from Anidor:

Yeah, totally not joking. Ride the Lightning I picture more like Marv from Sin City... not a muppet. The lyrics to Ride the Lightning by that toy would be more like:

"Mana mana"
"Doo doooo do do doo"
"Mana mana"
Doo doooo dooo dooooooooo"

Yes I am being too picky.

Quoted from jk2171:

EDIT: KRUPA beat me to it.
That chair imagery, with a dude being electrocuted, is from RTL tour. One of the shirts had a guy getting shocked, and the back of the shirt had the chair with the spike on it that said 'Metal Up Your A**". Just a fresh take on that 30 year old imagery. I like it and think it fits perfectly.

Yeah, ok guess I am clearly off base here (not sarcastic).

-ben

#30 11 years ago

Yet ride the lightning is not a song features in the game.

#31 11 years ago

The mouth on the snake opens and closes to make that scoop shot more challenging.

Being able to see balls locked under the playfield through an insert is really awesome - has this ever been done before?

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from jk2171:

One of the shirts had a guy getting shocked, and the back of the shirt had the chair with the spike on it that said 'Metal Up Your A**"

I actually had that T back in the day. The guy glowed in the dark, it was pretty cool.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

I think that the bobble head is on the pro and a head with a coil on the LE
you can see the LE whitewood and the pro withwood in the movie.
the pro has a non-moving cross with no drops, no hammer with magnet and the guy in the chair has (I think) no coil behind it but just a bobble head

Those two pics are WAY too different to be a Pro vs. LE comparison.. one has a spinner, the other doesn't. One has 2 magnets, the other is missing them completely. My guess would be that the one with the all-white prototype toys is a more recent version of whitewood.

#34 11 years ago

Just realized the inline drops. So we are now speculating the Premium has Inline Drops, magnet and hammer at the captive ball area, and fancier muppet in the back?

-Wes

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I actually had that T back in the day. The guy glowed in the dark, it was pretty cool.

Yes sir, I had it too. Saw them open for WASP in '84 with Armored Saint. Sheesh that was a LONG time ago.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Yet ride the lightning is not a song features in the game.

Its a MB

#37 11 years ago

Why do you think there will be a premium?

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from copperpot:

So we are now speculating the Premium has Inline Drops, magnet and hammer at the captive ball area, and fancier muppet in the back?

But sir - you are really cheapening it by calling the guy in the back a muppet.
Anyway, yes my gut tells me the pro is going to be tripe and the LE is going to have all the features everyone is hoping for. Hopefully I'm wrong.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

Those two pics are WAY too different to be a Pro vs. LE comparison.. one has a spinner, the other doesn't. One has 2 magnets, the other is missing them completely. My guess would be that the one with the all-white prototype toys is a more recent version of whitewood.

Good call!

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Why do you think there will be a premium?

Cuz a game this awesome will sell, and many people will want the full featured version after the LEs sell out. Why would Stern not want to make money?

#41 11 years ago

BUT, Tron PRO and LE and XMEN PRO and LE.
Its all conjecture of course at this moment, but I think the PRO and LE will sell enough to the fans.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Cuz a game this awesome will sell, and many people will want the full featured version after the LEs sell out. Why would Stern not want to make money?

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

BUT, Tron PRO and LE and XMEN PRO and LE.
Its all conjecture of course at this moment, but I think the PRO and LE will sell enough to the fans.

Tron was one of the first LEs back from the era where they weren't selling many games. They had no idea it would blow up. X-Men, who knows....but AC/DC Premium has made them tons of $$$$ ...Music+Lyman=MONEY.

Anyway, enough speculation...answers tomorrow.

#43 11 years ago

I really hope there is a premium. Some people want the full featured pin without paying a premium for the collector rareness of the limited run.

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from monsterbaldy:

I really hope there is a premium. Some people want the full featured pin without paying a premium for the collector rareness of the limited run.

I'm one of them, if there is no Premium done with all the features, they won't get any monies from me. Leaving any money on the table from customers, bad business model, so I am fairly positive they will run the Premo's on this one.

#45 11 years ago

those metal ramps look promising, unless they will be plastic.

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

those metal ramps look promising, unless they will be plastic.

Xmen had the metal ramps in teaser too so never know. Maybe the wireforms metal but the ramps plastic?

#47 11 years ago

It doesn't make much sense to announce a "premium" model until all of the LE units are sold out. If people know they can pick-up a fully featured game at a discount price in the future there isn't much urgency created into why they need to buy in now before even getting a chance to play it. If the game is a hit like I think it will be, Stern will likely produce a premium model within a few months time. If not, they are leaving a lot of money on the table....

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Xmen had the metal ramps in teaser too so never know. Maybe the wireforms metal but the ramps plastic?

They wouldn't waste money laser cutting a Metallica logo into a ramp if they weren't planning on doing that for the actual production. They will be metal.

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

They will be metal.

Heavy Metal!

#50 11 years ago

what they should have is Lady justice in the center and everytime you hit it, a chunk falls out, or rocks back and forth, and then breaks apart like a MM tower. Have the pieces fit together like slide blocks attached to cable lines. Once retracted they zip back into place, completing the statue. Either way I wouldn't be buying the game, but if I was designing it, I would try and use some of the effects from the Tours from, And Justice for all....ect.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.50
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,600 (OBO)
$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 149.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-electric-chair-toy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.