You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

target_spring_after_mod.jpg
target_spring_touching.jpg
target_original_spring.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I thought I'd share my experience with the Metallica drop targets. Initially when I got the game they seemed to work great for perhaps 50 games, and then targets 2 and 3 (the back 2) would only sporadically drop, sometimes staying up with a dead-on hit.

I received a rebuild kit from Stern which contains targets and stiffer springs, but after taking it apart and putting it back together I noticed there are 3 more thin washers on my original than the instructions account for. I followed the instructions and the targets behaved the same, with the second two still sticking. One thing I noticed was the lip of the drop target was hanging over the edge of the metal more on the second two than the first, so I decided to use 4 washers on the two sticky targets to have less target sitting on the lip, which should allow it to drop easier. It did help, but I also noticed the stronger springs were holding it tighter to the lip than the original red springs, so I reverted to the softer springs, and that helps. But it still wasn't 100%.

Examining the difference between the first target and the second two I notice one other difference... the spring on the first target was completely clear, and on the second two the spring rubs the target. This is illustrated in the following pictures. The fix was to make a cut in the steel to mount the spring away from the target, effectively matching the way the first target was done.

target_original_spring.jpgtarget_original_spring.jpg
target_spring_touching.jpgtarget_spring_touching.jpg
target_spring_after_mod.jpgtarget_spring_after_mod.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Interesting....didn't realize the springs rubbed on the back targets.

Parker

#3 10 years ago

Great info, thanks for sharing!

#4 10 years ago

I wonder if this rebuild kit by Stern will fix the AC/DC no-drop, drop target issue?

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I wonder if this rebuild kit by Stern will fix the AC/DC no-drop, drop target issue?

The rebuild kit did not help me. Some people have indicated switching to the stiffer springs did the trick (those are included in the goodie bag), but it didn't help me either. ACDC drops are side by side, so the mech is different enough, but the considering my solution involved tweaking target spacers and spring location that may also apply to the ACDC drops.

1 year later
#6 8 years ago

Favorited - I will try this tonight.

2 years later
#7 6 years ago

Anyone on this thread have an electronic copy of the exploded parts view for the 3-bank? I pickup up a MET that I think is missing some hardware in the 3-bank but it didn't come with a manual and the IPDB manual doesn't have an exploded view. Thanks, PJ

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 149.00
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 12.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,600 (OBO)
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-drop-target-repair-101?hl=pjkools and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.