Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180201_144638 (resized).jpg
20180220_164536 (resized).jpg
20180220_164654 (resized).jpg
20180220_164637 (resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hello,

I have an issue withe the inline drop target bank of my Metallica. During the game, the drop targets will reset spontaneous three times straight, without any reason.
I detect that one opto from the drop target bank is not working. So I ordered a new opto board from Stern, but the issue is still there.
I checked for any loose connection under the playfield and in the backbox - but it seems everything ok.

Is there anyone with the same issue?

Thank you,
Frank

#2 8 years ago

I have the same problem

#3 8 years ago

Is it 3 times and then done? Is it per ball? does it continuously do it?

I would check the switch and coil wire back to the head for continuity. Maybe a wire got pinched and is freaking it out.

#4 8 years ago

Mine does the reset any time I hit the either ramp or outer loop. every time it will try and reset 3 times

#5 8 years ago

Have you seen the coil matrix to see if those are on the same string? I think it should be in the manual/

#6 8 years ago

check the power connection under the playfield. I was replacing the newton and bumped it and it was doing that .

#7 8 years ago

I have the solution since 1 hour.
I wrote with Patrick Powers from Stern and figured out where the problem is.
Please check at first if the left upper bumper switch and the right loop switch also
not working.
If they not working, the tan-blue wire, which will present at all the 3 switches ( opto, bumper and roll-over ), will have no connection to the CPU, connector J12.

#8 8 years ago

Wasn't there an issue with this when the game first came out, and they added those little light blocking tubes to the opto board for the drops?

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

check the power connection under the playfield. I was replacing the newton and bumped it and it was doing that .

I had the same issue in mine, what ShlockDoc mentioned, re-seat the power connectors under the playfield that go to the boards in the back-box. That fixed my issue.

#10 8 years ago

where are these connectors located?

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Frankies:

where are these connectors located?

the connectors I reseated were in the cabinet, near the speaker. 4-5 connectors? Big connectors that attach the playfield to the wiring in the backbox. If you are looking at the machine the connectors are to the left on the bottom of the cabinet right under where the drop down targets would be but in the bottom of the cabinet.

#12 8 years ago

at my Metallica it was a broken cable. The tan - blue wire was broken on the way to the backbox.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Frankies:

at my Metallica it was a broken cable. The tan - blue wire was broken on the way to the backbox.

Awesome, glad you figured it out.

2 years later
#14 6 years ago

Looking for advice/ experience please

My first/front drop target was flakey registering drop.

So I removed and inspected inline drop PCB,
Nothing obvious so I decided to order a new PCB from our local distro
I quoted part # in manual 5206791-01
Distro indicated they had 1 left of part # quoted but ended up sending me 5206791-00

As per pics 6 pin vs 5 pin pro ?

Also as per pic in manual the drop ass'y has a part "23" Reflective opto isolater.
My bank ass'y does not have this installed, never has, not sure how it even worked from the start ?

Is anyone going under the hood of there LE or Premo able to see if there is this "Isolater" fitted ? I guess its just a piece of plastic ?

Anyone had to change the PCB before ?

Appreciate any help

Cheers,
Ando

20180220_164637 (resized).jpg20180220_164637 (resized).jpg

20180220_164654 (resized).jpg20180220_164654 (resized).jpg

20180220_164536 (resized).jpg20180220_164536 (resized).jpg

20180201_144638 (resized).jpg20180201_144638 (resized).jpg

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from twista22:

I have the same problem
» YouTube video

I had problem like this when my game was new in 2013. In my case one of the lights/flashers under the play field was “blinding” one of the opto sensors. Game interprets that as a dropped target and keeps trying to reset the targets to up position.

I inadvertently fixed my issue when switching to leds. As part of the led install I bent/adjusted some of the bulb brackets to make the led be closer to the insert. I think doing this stopped the opto from getting “blinded” and the reset issue went away.

As others have mentioned stern modified the design and put tubes around the opto so only more direct light from the other side of the opto would trigger it.

As a test you could put a piece of cardboard or something temporarily in the way to see if that helps.

3 weeks later
#16 6 years ago

Problem solved

Correct PCB provided
Distributor kindly provided part #23 opto isolator at no charge.

All good now
METLE plays as it should, Awesome !

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 29.95
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

7,600 (OBO)
$ 25.50
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-drop-target-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.