Topic Stats

• 144 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by mechslave
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“If you've seen BOTH the Metallica DMD animations and the WoZ LCD animations, which did you like better?”

• WoZ 116 votes
    55%
  • Metallica 94 votes
    45%

(210 votes)

There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 10 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I have no interest in seeing film clips on a pinball display, even if it's Blu-ray quality.

You're totally missing my point. I didn't mean it would be great if movie clips were used but given that Stern and SkitB are using movie clips on a DMD which look awful, at least they would look better on a HD colour display.

I'm sure you're not the only one who doesn't want to see film clips and that includes me and of course many here would like to see more original themes but it's not going to happen or if it does it's still going to be a minority. But repeating my original point, having a HD colour display doesn't mean you *have* to use film clips but if the designers decide to use them at least they will look good. Ultimately the LCD means more choice for game designers.

Saying no to a new tool because someone MIGHT use it in a way that you don't like doesn't make the tool bad. Blame the user.

#102 10 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

You do realize that there are essentially zero stock WOZ clips being used?

I wasn't talking about WOZ. I was replying to the guy who said the main plus of an LCD screen is using film clips. Which is why I quoted him in my reply.

Although I do appreciate the irony of a WOZ defender using a straw man argument.

#103 10 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

Saying no to a new tool because someone MIGHT use it in a way that you don't like doesn't make the tool bad.

The tool's application in pinball doesn't interest me. Maybe someone will do something amazing enough with an LCD backbox to change my mind. I'm not holding my breath.

I'm more optimistic about P3-like uses of LCD screens, even if what I've seen so far is more of a novelty than a gameplay innovation.

#104 10 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

Remember when phones were just phones? When they said you could listen to music on your phone, I thought that was stupid. "I have a massive stereo", I thought. Watch movies on a little phone screen? Why would I do that? "I have a flat screen at home", I thought. Yet, it exists. Well, not exactly. It does not just exist, they are prolific and have taken over the whole world now. Who knows what the display or pinball machine will become?

Exactly!,,..... I have a phone for all that,can even play pinball on it

#105 10 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

The tool's application in pinball doesn't interest me. Maybe someone will do something amazing enough with an LCD backbox to change my mind. I'm not holding my breath.
I'm more optimistic about P3-like uses of LCD screens, even if what I've seen so far is more of a novelty than a gameplay innovation.

It sounds like you are anti display in general. I do relate to that and it should be about the playfield action first and foremost but a display is needed in some form or other to keep scores and help guide your game. Is it just the animations you are against or the messages and info too? Like I said an LCD can be used purely to display the score simply, staticly in whatever form you choose. Designer's choice. Why would you use anything else?

#106 10 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I wasn't talking about WOZ. I was replying to the guy who said the main plus of an LCD screen is using film clips. Which is why I quoted him in my reply.

Mmm, I guess I was thinking more of Fatsquash's words when I responded ("I really dig the creativity that's involved with a DOT package, and am more impressed with that than full-motion video clips and whatnot."), and he was talking more about WOZ. I've ammended my post to remove your quote.

#107 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

1.4 is whats prod now.

A bit off topic but continuing to ask from another thread. So where does a WOZ owner that got a game last week with earlier code download 1.4?

#108 10 years ago

Just for the fun of it... here's a few JJP animations converted to dots.

#109 10 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

Just for the fun of it... here's a few JJP animations converted to dots.
» YouTube video

That's pretty rough to watch. Looks a lot like Stern's movie clips on the dots.

Next to creating a smaller dot DMD to compensate, this will always be a problem when converting video to dots.

#110 10 years ago

Toto escapes is the only dot that turned out well IMO. The others just look blurry.
Glad it comes with an LCD screen.

#111 10 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

That's pretty rough to watch. Looks a lot like Stern's movie clips on the dots.
Next to creating a smaller dot DMD to compensate, this will always be a problem when coverting video to dots.

Well, exactly! There's only so much you can do with 128x32 resolution and 16 shades monochrome (although real-world, it's said only 12 or so shades are useful with Stern's system, and of course WMS only had 4). Plus, obviously, animations intended for such a screen need to be designed with that in mind in terms of size of elements and contrast.

My conversion is purely for the entertainment value. Kind of a... here's an approximation of what WOZ buyers might be looking forward to getting in the coming months if JJP hadn't decided to go for a display with 2,560% more pixels and 1,048,576% more colors than the existing standard.

#112 10 years ago

They both look terrible. Somebody bring back score reels. Stat!

#113 10 years ago

An LCD would have been great in my SM. The DMD is the weak link.

#114 10 years ago

Sunfox and I agree that video doesn't work well on DMD, which is why I was really happy to see NO video on Metallica. I think the dot animations look awesome. But as I said on the "Display Poll" thread, I think the best approach is custom animation on a DMD-sized HD-LCD display.

#115 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Sunfox and I agree that video doesn't work well on DMD, which is why I was really happy to see NO video on Metallica. I think the dot animations look awesome. But as I said on the "Display Poll" thread, I think the best approach is custom animation on a DMD-sized HD-LCD display.

I think you'd want it bigger than that. I like the size of the LCD on WOZ to eaily see progress on objectives. Having that in a DMD sized display would make it hard to read? Why not use as much of the backglass area as possible? I'd rather have a larger display that just see a translite. Just my 2 cents...

#116 10 years ago

The mini-game possibilities on LCD backglasses have an almost endless amount of potential.

#117 10 years ago

The dots on Metallica are amazing having seen them firsthand. But the potential on the lcd from WOZ is limitless. However I do not like the content on the woz display as I do not care for the theme at all. BUT what I have seen from the tech side of the lcd ie: test screens it looks even better than p2k as far as techy stuff. I also am in the camp that the lcd is to big. To each there own.

#118 10 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

LCD displays will be the future but the WOZ LCD animations did not seem as dazzling as the technology should provide. It is not bad, but it almost already screams first generation.
The flat white fonts look especially dull. In time the LCD it will reach its stride. But today it reminds me of the cutting edge technology of Dragon's Lair circa 1983.
Forgetting theme, MET better adapts old tech than WOZ does with new tech. Give it time and that will change.

I couldn't have said it any better. +1

#119 10 years ago

Blah, blah blah.... dots are on their way out, the end. Loooong overdue. One, maybe two more machines then they'll be put out to pasture...

The days of me getting excited about new DOTS ended a long time ago, before the internet... New Dots is a pinball oxymoron...

#120 10 years ago

Haven't seen a finished WOZ yet. Some of the animations I really liked...last time I played it it must have been "updated" to a newer version with a the witch slowly moving back and forth...looked horrible. Probably been fixed by now.

#121 10 years ago

I love the "lcd is too big" comments. The *only* thing you give up with the LCD is a static image on the backbox. Sheesh. And you get so many more options with a larger display--more real estate to display scores plus mode progress plus animations plus setup plus tutorial plus.... And many things can be displayed simultaneously. Yes, bigger is better.And if a blank screen is *that* bothersome, just turn the damn game on when you're in the room. I bet there will be a 'screensaver' mode added at some point, with just the lcd display showing one or more backbox images. (Hey, you're not stuck with a single image! Or a static one!)

#122 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Haven't seen a finished WOZ yet. Some of the animations I really liked...last time I played it it must have been "updated" to a newer version with a the witch slowly moving back and forth...looked horrible. Probably been fixed by now.

If the witch was slowing moving if I understand your comment it was likely on a prototype game with the old motherboard. It has trouble dealing with new animation stacking. Runs like cheap quite frankly and that's why we beefed it up to the hilt to future proof it.

#123 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I love the "lcd is too big" comments. The *only* thing you give up with the LCD is a static image on the backbox. Sheesh.

"Static" backglass artwork is important to a lot of us collectors, especially those of us who have 80's pins and EMs. The WoZ backglass reminds me of EBD-LE (made from old hyperball cabinets). It looks wrong to me, whether the game is on or off. I know I'm not alone in thinking this, and the "Display Poll" thread proves this.

I think display size will be the next big religious debate, replacing "bulbs vs. LEDs". It's all good, we just need to respect each others' opinions.

#124 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

It looks wrong to me, whether the game is on or off.

Yeah, I'd rather see a full backbox LCD than a semi-large one awkwardly framed by a mostly wasted backglass. To be fair, they're just now shipping game 1 of the LCD era. Early days.

#125 10 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Yeah, I'd rather see a full backbox LCD than a semi-large one awkwardly framed by a mostly wasted backglass. To be fair, they're just now shipping game 1 of the LCD era. Early days.

have you seen it in person?

#126 10 years ago

We need to get some pinsiders the book 'Who moved my cheese'. LCD is the future and it started with WOZ. We can debate the size and location of it in the pin, like the OP and others are, but it will replace the dots eventually. Who doesn't think Stern will have an LCD in their pins by next year?

#127 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

have you seen it in person?

Many times.

#128 10 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

Who doesn't think Stern will have an LCD in their pins by next year?

I don't think they will. It is a pretty massive undertaking and unless they have it well underway, it is going to take awhile. They are also probably comforted by MOPLE buyers trying to protect their investment by saying "how great the dots are" and "I don't play the backglass" and "I am old school and would rather have a static translite".

#129 10 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

It is a pretty massive undertaking and unless they have it well underway, it is going to take awhile.

I bet they do.

#130 10 years ago
Quoted from scooter:

I bet they do.

You might be right, but Stern has never struck me as a "progressive" pinball company. They have not really advanced the games too much technology-wise over the past 12 years IMHO. They haven't even come out with stereo sound for their music-themed pins let alone any types of new displays.

#131 10 years ago

They have to keep with the Jack's

#132 10 years ago

They are also probably comforted by MOPLE buyers trying to protect their investment by saying "how great the dots are" and "I don't play the backglass" and "I am old school and would rather have a static translite".

I know it sounds far-fetched on Pinside, but it's still possible to have actual aesthetic preferences, regardless of perceived financial implications.

#133 10 years ago

They haven't even come out with stereo sound for their music-themed pins

The crazy part of that is Stern actually regressed - SAM is mono period, Whitestar was mono but *designed* to be stereo (all thay had to do is install the right components - you can see the empty channel on any Whitestar board)... and even sadder, if you go back far enough Data East was actually the first pinball company to even come out with stereo sound on Laser War in 1987.

A quarter century later... sigh.

#134 10 years ago
Quoted from scooter:

They have to keep with the Jack's

I am going to go out on a limb and say that I don't think Gary cares one bit about what JJP does. I think Stern sees JJP as a boutique shop that will put out a different game every couple of years. If Stern keeps pumping out titles, regardless of features, themed around middle-aged males they will continue to do well with the LE/Premium/Pro model. If Stern were to announce a Led Zeppelin or Monty Python pin, it could have one flipper and a basic display and sell in advance like no tomorrow.

#135 10 years ago

I am going to go out on a limb and say that I don't think Gary cares one bit about what JJP does. I think Stern sees JJP as a boutique shop that will put out a different game every couple of years.

I disagree! Ithink Stern hiring Steve and bringing back Lyman was directly related to JJP'S start up.And I am glad they did,Steve is my favorite!!!

#136 10 years ago

Yeah lets compare guys just saying
JJP design team is JOE BALCER
vs
STERNS design team
Steve Ritchie aka THE KING
John Borg
George Gomez
and
John Trudeau

#137 10 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Yeah lets compare guys just saying
JJP design team is JOE BALCER
vs
STERNS design team
Steve Ritchie aka THE KING
John Borg
George Gomez
and
John Trudeau

Stern 4 games per year, JJP... well, definitely less than one. Seems an appropriate number of designers so far.

Quoted from musketd:

Gomez vs balcer I am taking gomez anyday of the week

Quoted from musketd:

Not the same team at all you had george gomez doing LOTR he did such games as JM, MB, Sopranos, Corvette and RFM. Joe Balcer will design the hobbit he has done baywath, godzilla, Star Wars triology, and striker extreme; last time I checked no one is really trying to own any of those titles

Quoted from musketd:

I highly doubt the le will sell out at 1500 units
my money will be with steve ritchie and stern and not joe balcer

Quoted from musketd:

Besides who would you rather have designing your games. John Borg, George Gomez, and The King of flow Steve Ritchie or Joe Blacer. Hmm now doesnt that sound like a dumb ?

But jeez man, you have a real hate-on for Joe Balcer - this is far from the first time you've brought him up for no particular reason. What did the poor guy ever do to you?

#138 10 years ago
Quoted from scooter:

I disagree! Ithink Stern hiring Steve and bringing back Lyman was directly related to JJP'S start up.And I am glad they did,Steve is my favorite!!!

I am glad they did as well. I am not a Stern hater. I have two HUO versions in my collection right now and plan on getting an AC/DC premium in the near future. I just think there are two different "models" out there in terms of the business between Stern and JJP. One will put out a game every couple of years that will push technology boundaries while the other will crank out three titles annually which do not.

#139 10 years ago

There's an advantage to being a "fast follower" in business. If I were Stern, I'd wait and see what the public's response is to LCDs once they are more widely deployed. Think about how logical the Pin2K platform seemed at the time - it was a technical triumph, but a marketing failure (admittedly this is very debatable; WMS may have killed the golden goose).

#140 10 years ago

They are also probably comforted by MOPLE buyers trying to protect their investment by saying "how great the dots are" and "I don't play the backglass" and "I am old school and would rather have a static translite".

I don't get this attitude. Why are MOPLE buyers "trying to protect their investment" instead of genuinely being happy with their purchase? People can have likes and dislikes without having an agenda.

Personally I prefer P3's approach to the modern pinball display. And I have no investment in P3 to protect.

#141 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

If the witch was slowing moving if I understand your comment it

Yeah I could tell something wasn't quite right.

#142 10 years ago

That big ol' LCD does NOTHING for the advancement of the game of pinball. You WOZ/Jack worshippers need to get over that.

#143 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

There's an advantage to being a "fast follower" in business. If I were Stern, I'd wait and see what the public's response is to LCDs once they are more widely deployed.

That has worked for them in the past. Maybe that is his plan now.

#144 10 years ago

You might be right, but Stern has never struck me as a "progressive" pinball company. They have not really advanced the games too much technology-wise over the past 12 years IMHO. They haven't even come out with stereo sound for their music-themed pins let alone any types of new displays.

You are correct. Gary is a follow-the-leader type. Always. The only time his companies have pushed the envelope was with Kaminkow. Otherwise, it's wait, do nothing, same-old-same-old unless someone shows him otherwise.

Gary will finally change his display and follow Jack's lead into color displays, but he will sit back and be cautious about it. And as long as he can raise the prices with each release and everyone keeps pre-ordering, then he's in no rush at all. My guess would be Stern stays with monochrome dots into next year...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 29.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.50
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 149.00
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-dots-vs-woz-video/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.