Topic Stats

• 144 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by mechslave
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“If you've seen BOTH the Metallica DMD animations and the WoZ LCD animations, which did you like better?”

• WoZ 116 votes
    55%
  • Metallica 94 votes
    45%

(210 votes)

There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 10 years ago

Simple poll...I will not color the outcome with my opinion yet.

#2 10 years ago

Okay, I'll come clean now. I thought the Metallica dots were a great return to the classic B/W dots we all know and love. Loved the snake grabbing the ball, and Sparky's eyeballs flying out of their sockets. I voted for MET.

#3 10 years ago

My game on WOZ was so short I didn't get to see much. But it looks like the effort is there; hats off to those guys for trying something new. On the other hand, the Met dots really speak to me and seem to fit the theme perfectly so far. As a metalhead I gotta go Metallica!

#4 10 years ago

All tied up!!!

#5 10 years ago

No video of production WOZ exists... Wonder why?

So because of this we cannot say Metallica or WOZ is better yet

LCD with HD clips/text is far better than a DMD in my book but so far I'd rather play/own Metallica.

Remind me to check this thread in a year

#6 10 years ago

I prefer the classic look of the dots.

#7 10 years ago

WOZ and it's not even close. Look at the test menu and operator options. Tons of things you can do with a full LCD display that you can't do with a tiny DMD. The animations that I've seen are fine and the software will likely be updated many times. The display seems overwhelming at first but I'm sure that once you get familiar with the rules of the game you'll know where to look on the monitor.

The fact is that most newer games use both the DMD and the playfield inserts to tell you your progress. With WOZ from what I've seen you don't need to go into status report to see your progress. You just glance at the screen and the information is there.

Metallica looks nice for sure, but I'd rather have seen Stern put an LCD on Metallica with concert and music video footage.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I thought the Metallica dots were a great return to the classic B/W dots we all know and love.

B/W's had some games with some good dots (they had some games with some not so good dots too). But lets not kid ourselves . . . Stern's dots have been better than B/W's dots for a long time and Stern has been using more of them . . . I guess the modern games jut have more memory to pack with dots.

XMen's dots were out of this world good. I have heard from some of the better players that Avengers has even better dots than XMen (you just have to be a pin god to see them).

#9 10 years ago

I get the feeling that the themes of these two games are too polarizing for this poll to ever be answered impartially (and yes, that goes both ways).

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

I get the feeling that the themes of these two games are too polarizing for this poll to ever be answered impartially (and yes, that goes both ways).

+ 1000

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

Could not agree more. I think long term the LCD is clearly going to win out but we need more than one game to see it and judge it.

I think there are going to be some LCD's on the playfield soon in some future games and maybe even the magnificent clear LCD glass that the IGT and WMS use for slot machines . . . if that stuff starts making it into pins then WoW!!!!

#12 10 years ago

Dots are way outdated.

#13 10 years ago

Although these are the two "most current" machines so it seems logical on the outset to compare them, it probably would've been better to pair up more compatible family-oriented themes that aren't going to get the knee-jerk "that's a girly game" or "I hate their music" votes.

We're kinda stuck with WOZ, so on the Stern side, Tron or Avatar or Shrek would've been best. Even X-Men, Avengers or Transformers would've been less polarizing.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

Probably true. Puking snakes and ruby red slippers are about as polarizing as you can get.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

No video of production WOZ exists... Wonder why?So because of this we cannot say Metallica or WOZ is better yetLCD with HD clips/text is far better than a DMD in my book but so far I'd rather play/own Metallica.Remind me to check this thread in a year

Yes it does. There's a full thread of pictures and videos from the owner of ECLE #12

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

B/W's had some games with some good dots (they had some games with some not so good dots too). But lets not kid ourselves . . . Stern's dots have been better than B/W's dots for a long time and Stern has been using more of them . . . I guess the modern games jut have more memory to pack with dots.
XMen's dots were out of this world good. I have heard from some of the better players that Avengers has even better dots than XMen (you just have to be a pin god to see them).

Yeah man, I agree.

Xmen has awesome dots. Avengers is really cool too, the VS. modes have really good dots.

rd.

#17 10 years ago

Sterns current dots are really good. They must have taken some notes from there DE days =S

I cannot compare apples and oranges. DMD cannot compare directly to LCD?

Which is better NES or PS4?

#18 10 years ago

I haven't seen the Metallica dots in person so not voting but I did play WOZ yesterday and the integration of the monitor is beyond anything I expected. I personally don't see how an LCD vs DMD poll is even worth the finger strokes though, it really is apples and oranges.

#19 10 years ago

Like comparing apples and oranges. I still would rather have the LCD. Just makes more sense too me. The dots look great on Metallica and Mark Galvez does an awesome job on all his games but I feel it's time for new technology. I prefer the LCD on WOZ.

#20 10 years ago

Personally, I prefer a horse-n-buggy to that new fangled automobile.

Seriously, did this come up when they moved from scoring reels to electronic scoring to DMDs?

Wait a second, the internet wasn't available then ... Perhaps they debated this via teletype.

#21 10 years ago

When Stern converts to LCD there can be a meaningful poll. It will be a game specific poll then.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

When Stern converts to LCD there can be a meaningful poll. It will be a game specific poll then.

I don't think they will come out with a LCD.

#23 10 years ago

From what I have seen, WOZ has not used the LCD even close to it's potential. The LCD will be an amazing addition to pinball when integrated correctly. The new Captain Nemo pinball with it integrated into playfield has the right idea IMO.

Quoted from TomGWI:

I don't think they will come out with a LCD.

Stern will 100% switch to LCD at some point. But, when you can sell 500 $7500 LE's in a few hours, it won't be anytime soon. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

From what I have seen, WOZ has not used the LCD even close to it's potential. The LCD will be an amazing addition to pinball when integrated correctly.

Stern will 100% switch to LCD at some point. But, when you can sell 500 $7500 LE's in a few hours, it won't be anytime soon. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Exactly.

#25 10 years ago

Dots are so 1990's

It almost feels they are retro now. I like the Metallica dots but they are only dots!!

#26 10 years ago

LCD is the future of pinball..

#27 10 years ago

When you play woz and see the LCD....that's when you will say I get it. This fing thing is amazing

#28 10 years ago

I think it will be hard to compete with a high definition display, when comparing to a dmd. At least when that is the only feature of the game you are comparing. I hope HD displays become the standard (not necessarily large or small) with current technology it is definately easily attainable and likely to be less expensive long term.

I voted for WOZ on this poll, though its no indication of game play or game preference. I still haven't played Metallica

#29 10 years ago

It probably is the future. That said, I think I'd like a smaller one. Baby steps! I do like how Pachinko already integrates a small screen.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

When you play woz and see the LCD....that's when you will say I get it. This fing thing is amazing

Spot on.

The monitor was well integrated and really was not overwhelming. Seemed to be scaled well to the backbox. I was not sure how I would like the monitor, but after ACTUALLY PLAYING ONE, I think that JJP has absolutely evolved pinball. I was very impressed.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from scooter:

LCD is the future of pinball..

Yeah with rising prices that comes with it to drive potential buyers and distributors away Or we will have to pay 7$ a game in arcades...

collectors keep crying about prices raise yet they want LCD, colored leds, chrome and custom toys... Dots all the way. If I want super cool grafics I will play ps3

#32 10 years ago

Stern will likely go with a "layered" LCD like IGT did with their ReelDepth™ system four years ago. Maybe on the playfield too. It has been licensed to others already by IGT.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from JackSlater:

Yeah with rising prices that comes with it to drive potential buyers and distributors away Or we will have to pay 7$ a game in arcades...

I think the point you make is important. As innovative as the LCD screen is and as helpful it might be in playing/operating a pin, the cost/benefit of its inclusion is yet to be seen. I don't doubt that pin costs will go up with adoption of an LCD ...

but then again I am sure pin prices went up when they switched from EM to SS. I think our mutual hope is that long-term the benefits outweigh the costs.

#34 10 years ago

If DMDs are "dated", then what about flippers, ramps, pop bumpers and drop targets?

I agree that the poll is not about technology, it's a specific comparison between Stern's latest and JJP's latest. Just curious to see where I am on the bell curve.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

No video of production WOZ exists... Wonder why?
So because of this we cannot say Metallica or WOZ is better yet
LCD with HD clips/text is far better than a DMD in my book but so far I'd rather play/own Metallica.
Remind me to check this thread in a year

Quite frankly it's because of guys like you that no video exist. I spoke with a few owners who received their games already and have them setup and playing but they absolutely won't post about it because they have to deal with the trite and nasty commentary from the usual suspects.

I can't blame them. They are enjoying their games without having to deal with abuse and unwarranted ridicule.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Quite frankly it's because of guys like you that no video exist. I spoke with a few owners who received their games already and have them setup and playing but they absolutely won't post about it because they have to deal with the trite and nasty commentary from the usual suspects.
I can't blame them. They are enjoying their games without having to deal with abuse and unwarranted ridicule.

You are exactly right. How can I give 2 thumbs up?

#37 10 years ago

It's not at all clear to me that a DMD is cheaper than an LCD screen: LCDs are made by the billion, DMDs not so much. Similarly, an awful lot of art is made to be displayed on a computer screen these days, while the DMD artists at Stern are using literal 20 year old programs to do their work on. I think the cost of switching technologies for Stern will be fairly high and contributes to their resistance to change, but the per-unit costs for LCDs vs. DMDs are, I bet, tilted in the LCD's favour.

Retail prices these days are comparable for the display only, with the ease of addressing an LCD being a bit of a tie-breaker; things will only get worse from here for the DMD.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Next time don't get on a high horse proclaiming how you will lay down in front of the truck before releasing a game with completed code... then release a video of yourself doing a cartwheel as the first game ships with incomplete code.

I know this wasn't you, but as the self appointed WoZ defender this might serve as a FYI why some people find the code issue a bit galling.

#39 10 years ago

That's all well and good but if that was the bulk of the complaints about woz I would understand but that's less than 5% of the people. Also the production game at the show had the latest code with modes and people were going insane over it.

BTW.. You proved my point with your post.

#40 10 years ago

The problem with pinside is that no one says how they really feel about things.

#41 10 years ago

Man, some WoZ fans have really thin skin.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Man, WoZ fans have really thin skin.

quite the opposite actually.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Man, WoZ fans have really thin skin.

...and certain people have agendas

#45 10 years ago

Did you come to the A-Town show Chip? If so did I meet you? I met so many people I feel horrible i can't remember them all.

#46 10 years ago

This is really a stupid poll. Because it's really a poll about theme, WOZ vs. Metallica. Not about the video.

Would anybody in their right mind want an old 1982 green monochrome monitor at home to replace their 27" LCD monitor? Because that's essentially the comparison. Monochrome dots vs. Hi-def color display, really?

#47 10 years ago

Alex- good meeting you and thanks for the walk through. I thought the game was exceptional.
This shows some interaction of the LCD

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

That's all well and good but if that was the bulk of the complaints about woz I would understand but that's less than 5% of the people. Also the production game at the show had the latest code with modes and people were going insane over it.
BTW.. You proved my point with your post.

Actually I just got finished playing a few games in my room with my not yet two year old daughter... and looked up at my signed JJP t-shirt hung up on the wall.

I will forgive whatever crusade you feel you are on (watching you attempting to smash anybody who says anything slightly negative about WoZ with a hammer is as tiring as the insanely negative JJP posts, which are as tiring as the insane JJP supporter posts (already sent my money in for game #4! Wooot!).

Most of us are not in any of these extremes, it is actually okay that things are a bit grey.

Stern releasing fake LE's for $7500 coasting on old technology and milking pinball noobs for all they are worth is a bit old (even though I 100% understand it, I would simultaneously love and hate to be in that position myself).

JJP? He "unearned" most of the goodwill he had built up from me personally by grabbing money for game #2 before game #1 was released. Way to set off alarm bells from those on the "interested but cautious" camp.

I hope WoZ earns my money and a spot in my collection, but at this point it is wait and see.

If you find that offensive, that's too bad for you.

#49 10 years ago

I sincerely hope the "DMD is lame" viewpoint takes hold. There are some "A" titles I'd love to own once the DMD sell-off starts.

#50 10 years ago

Really? What's my agenda? Show me one post where I said anything bad about WoZ.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 29.95
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-dots-vs-woz-video and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.