Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by herg
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 8.00.08 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 7.59.50 AM (resized).png
4CA96340-E329-4578-909E-599F88CC61FF (resized).jpeg
A0D78A61-AB36-467B-887D-5A4C7B884B4A (resized).jpeg

#1 2 years ago

A friend of mine just got a Metallica pro, his first pin and one of the lamp columns is stuck on.

Lamp Column #8
YEL-GRY
J13-P1/U10

My initial thought was a transistor, but it seems like they are only on the rows. I read in another thread about Diode on terminal switches (DOTS) terminals, but don’t know how they play into this mix. I don’t want to shotgun replace the IC unless I’m fairly certain that’s the issue. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

4CA96340-E329-4578-909E-599F88CC61FF (resized).jpegA0D78A61-AB36-467B-887D-5A4C7B884B4A (resized).jpeg

#2 2 years ago

Any ideas bump?

#3 2 years ago

Have you done any testing to determine whether it is wiring or boards?

2 months later
#4 1 year ago

In all lamp test, I pulled J13 (lamp columns) and ran a jumper wire from pin 1 of the harness (which is column 8 ) to the other header pins and the lights work fine. Alternatively, running a jumper from pin 1 of the header to any of the other pins in the harness they similarly lock on. I believe this isolates it to the board.

I also used a DMM in diode mode and attempted to find locked on transistors, but all of the tested fine. I know this is not always reliable, and also don't know if these lamp columns even use transistors.

#5 1 year ago

I would agree that your jumper tests indicate a harness problem rather than a board problem.

You can also measure DC voltage on each column. If it's working, you'll see about 3V. If it's shorted, you'll see about 18V.

Edit: Actually, after thinking about this overnight, Stern games cycle through the rows, so you can have multiple columns on at once. This means the voltage will depend on how many lamps in that column are on. The same DC voltage test applies, but the "good" voltage can vary between 0 and 18V, while a shorted column will stay 18V.

A tool I really like is the Siegecraft lamp matrix tester. It's inexpensive and let's you test the board with the harness disconnected very quickly.

#6 1 year ago

The only SAM manual I could find this in was the POTC manual, I think it's correct for this board.. so I'm putting it here for easy finding again..

Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 7.59.50 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-09-09 at 8.00.08 AM (resized).png
#7 1 year ago

Thanks herg that's a really neat and inexpensive tester, I see that it's compatible with SAM machines but I only see System 3-7, System 9-11, and WPC wiring harnesses available from the dropdown. I sent them a note asking about how to ensure I have the correct harness for SAM machines.

http://www.siegecraft.us/presta/index.php?id_product=11&controller=product&id_lang=1

#8 1 year ago

They don't sell a SAM harness since it's only an 8x8 tester, and you would need a 8x10 to do Stern "right". I sent them information to let them know I use it with my Stern stuff. I built my own harness for Stern, Capcom, and even WPC GI.

For Stern, I left it unkeyed on the row connector so that I could shift it over for the extra 2 rows. You're welcome to borrow mine if you need it now. I could also help you build harnesses for other systems.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside