Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FB_IMG_1454375875719_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hello all, getting my MET Premium tomorrow. Already ordered and have in hand a brand new ColorDMD that I am excited to install.

Looking on some threads, it seems some people are running a "clear bezel and standoff kit". To my knowledge, this is not included in the kit. I noticed this verbiage on the ColorDMD website located here: http://shop.colordmd.com/colordmd-replacement-display-for-metallica-pinball-machine/

In red letters it says "** Metallica Pro LED model requires a clear shield and hex standoffs, available separately from the ACCESSORIES page of our store. **"

Notice it says Metallica Pro LED. My game is the Monsters Premium. So obviously I wouldn't think that my game requires it. I really hope I don't need this hardware as I don't want to pay for shipping again, and now this extra piece of hardware makes the thing even more expensive.

I know its a great mod, but - do I need this bezel + standoff kit? Is the ColorDMD site showing wrong information by making it sound like only the Pro version needs this extra hardware to install it?

Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

Bezel, standoffs only needed on late run MET. With metal speaker panel. If you have wood panel from original style it will attach direct.

#3 8 years ago

Once you put this in you'll love it! One of the best color jobs they've done.

#4 8 years ago

What do u mean by late run? As in the latest made? Mine's going to be brand new in box shipped from Game Room Guys- do u think I need the kit then?

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Notice it says Metallica Pro LED. My game is the Monsters Premium. So obviously I wouldn't think that my game requires it. I really hope I don't need this hardware as I don't want to pay for shipping again, and now this extra piece of hardware makes the thing even more expensive.
I know its a great mod, but - do I need this bezel + standoff kit? Is the ColorDMD site showing wrong information by making it sound like only the Pro version needs this extra hardware to install it?

Yes, you need them.

When they wrote that there was only the Metallica Pro LED model in the new cabinet style. Since then Stern has added the Premium. All that matters is that you need that kit for every single game that has the angled metal speaker panel that they've been using since Mustang.

Anything new from the factory has that now, no more wooden speaker panels.

#6 8 years ago

Damn. Sucks they don't mention this and someone from the company doesn't email u to make sure to order it. For that price it should be included IMO.

#7 8 years ago

The guy from ColorDMD emailed me back and offered to ship the parts free of charge which was cool. Hopefully they update the site with more specific info which machines u need the kit for.

Either way I can't wait to see the color screen- I can't believe in 2015 they aren't standard yet. There's no way I can deal with the orange dots after seeing this thing in action- it would be like going back to standard def TV.. Or better yet, B&W TV

#8 8 years ago

Randy at colorDMD is a great guy so it doesn't surprise me. I made the same mistake but figured it was my screwup so I just sucked it up. It's cool that Randy would do that on the shipping. Like you I do wish it was a lot more in your face that you need it when ordering that you may need it. In my excitement I was ordering from my phone in line at magic kingdom which made it worse.

In that case I ordered the kit from pinbits which is different from Randy's. I did remember for my IM so I have Randy's kit in that game. Both are excellent but I prefer Randy's. Sorry pinbits I still love you. . In both cases you will get a pinbits clear dmd cover which you also need and is also excellent.

Congrats on the game and the wise choice of the colordmd. It's really hard to imagine it without it.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from ddebuss:

Randy at colorDMD is a great guy so it doesn't surprise me. I made the same mistake but figured it was my screwup so I just sucked it up. It's cool that Randy would do that on the shipping. Like you I do wish it was a lot more in your face that you need it when ordering that you may need it. In my excitement I was ordering from my phone in line at magic kingdom which made it worse.
In that case I ordered the kit from pinbits which is different from Randy's. I did remember for my IM so I have Randy's kit in that game. Both are excellent but I prefer Randy's. Sorry pinbits I still love you. . In both cases you will get a pinbits clear dmd cover which you also need and is also excellent.
Congrats on the game and the wise choice of the colordmd. It's really hard to imagine it without it.

There's no way I can have a regular DMD when color is available. For a $7K game, you would think Stern would make this a standard feature on the "Premium" versions of their games. Either way, I had to order this as I saw the videos of the color DMD and once I saw that is available theres absolutely no way I would be happy with the game without it now.

#10 8 years ago

Will likely be an after xmas / bday present for myself as I don't think I can resist not having a ColorDmd for my Met Pro LED.

1 month later
#11 8 years ago

I recently bought a nib Metallica le. I also ordered a color dmd for it. I tried to install the new dmd and it seems the mounting screws are not long enough. Also there is a 1/2 space between the dmd and the frame need help!! Thx

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_rookie:

I recently bought a nib Metallica le. I also ordered a color dmd for it. I tried to install the new dmd and it seems the mounting screws are not long enough. Also there is a 1/2 space between the dmd and the frame need help!! Thx

If it's PRO LED or new-run Premium with the angled DMD panel, you need the standoff kit + clear shield on the colorDMD website (http://shop.colordmd.com/pinbits-clear-shield-and-mounting-standoffs-for-new-stern-cabinets/). Just follow the instructions. The install isn't quite as perfect as on the old style backboxes; there will be a slight gap. It doesn't bother me at all but some people have done things like put in black weather stripping to seal the gap.

If you really have an LE, though...I think those would all be from the original run and have the old-style backbox? In that case you wouldn't need the extra standoffs.

#13 8 years ago

[duplicate]

#14 8 years ago

Thx, just ordered the parts.

#15 8 years ago

Guys a quick one, do colordmd support the new Spike Stern system or not yet ?

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Guys a quick one, do colordmd support the new Spike Stern system or not yet ?

Sorry, not supporting SPIKE yet.

#17 8 years ago

Did you need the Sam/Whitestar cable kit too? or is that included with the display purchase.
I'm gonna pull the trigger soon, just checking.
Thanks in advance.

#18 8 years ago

Cable installation kit is included with the display.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Sorry, not supporting SPIKE yet.

I like that "yet"

#20 8 years ago

No worries....POTC is not spike

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

No worries....POTC is not spike

Neither is Stern Indiana Jones.

#22 8 years ago

Niether is Spiderman!!!!!

#23 8 years ago

So I've been thinking of buying some for my games. Problem is that I flip through my games quick. Can these be switched over from one game to the next. For example, could I switch from a Metallica to and IronMan or do I have to buy a new one ever time I sell a game?

#25 8 years ago

If you are installing any other type of speaker mods including sound LED mounts, replaced speakers of different sizes, or anything else, additional modifications are required to the ColorDMD mounting board beyond the clear bezel kit if you have the updated Stern "metal" backbox.
Longer standoffs to provide additional depth clearance are needed, but will not affect visibility of the display.

If this is the only thing you are doing to upgrade the speaker panel area, the clear bezel and standoffs suffice for the Stern updated "metal" backbox from ColorDMD.

You can alternatively buy the acrylic clear bezel from PinBits, if you have the standoffs in your parts inventory.
The clear bezel is this most critical component, for obvious reasons.
Do not over tighten the bezel and use proper spacers to distribute stress to prevent cracking!

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

The guy from ColorDMD emailed me back and offered to ship the parts free of charge which was cool. Hopefully they update the site with more specific info which machines u need the kit for.
Either way I can't wait to see the color screen- I can't believe in 2015 they aren't standard yet. There's no way I can deal with the orange dots after seeing this thing in action- it would be like going back to standard def TV.. Or better yet, B&W TV

FB_IMG_1454375875719_(resized).jpgFB_IMG_1454375875719_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 25.50
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 12.95
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 29.95
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-colordmd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.