Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GOPR0109_1422241558713_high.JPG
image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I just installed the Newton ball in my Metallica LE since then it plays awesome but I am getting some air balls off of the Newton ball Mostly shooting it over the grave marker targets I even had one land on the left ramp wire form (which I must admit was kind of cool LOL) I think what is causing it is that my magnet core is very very slightly above the playfield not enough to really notice but if I run my hand over it I can feel it and what I'm wondering is if it is catching air just enough to make contact with the upper side of the Newton ball causing it to ricochet up and over the grave markers, from looking at the magnet mechanism it looks like there are four bolts that could add just the leveling of the plate on the side of the mechanism itself or would it make more sense to adjust the magnet core by loosening the big but on the threaded portion of the core and pressing it more firmly down onto the magnet plate itself has anyone adjusted the level of the magnet core on Metallica LE or premium any info would be much appreciated

image.jpgimage.jpg
#2 9 years ago

My game has the same problem so I put the block back in place rather than messing with the magnet level. The issue with my game is that the magnet core is slightly crooked. If I level 1 side, the other side might not be as level. Besides it might be a PITA to adjust anyhow so I won't attempt.

Rob

I would like a new block, but one that has a slight down angle on the face to it to keep it from airballing into the back of the hammer.

GOPR0109_1422241558713_high.JPGGOPR0109_1422241558713_high.JPG

#3 9 years ago

Really leaning towards loosening the magnet core nut tapping the magnet core on the top down more flush with the plate on the magnet itself and then retightening the bolt

#4 9 years ago

I have the newton ball & Cliffy's protector around the mag hole. Hasn't been a problem on my LE.

#5 9 years ago

you don't want to level this magnet, it pushes down when the ball rolls over it. Do you have some sort of cliffy there? if so that's the problem.

#6 9 years ago

Thought about placing a small washer under the Newton ball (between the ball and the plate) and between the bracket posts and the plate to raise the ball up a bit and see if it helps reduce the air ball issue last night one flew against my mirror blade and dented it yikes lol

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

I have the newton ball & Cliffy's protector around the mag hole. Hasn't been a problem on my LE.

Interesting. I had the same setup and was getting tons of airballs. I removed the Cliffy and all is good!

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

Thought about placing a small washer under the Newton ball (between the ball and the plate) and between the bracket posts and the plate to raise the ball up a bit and see if it helps reduce the air ball issue last night one flew against my mirror blade and dented it yikes lol

I tried that and it didn't help.

Rob

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from dgposter:

Interesting. I had the same setup and was getting tons of airballs. I removed the Cliffy and all is good!

How about posting a picture of how level your coffin magnet is? If you put a flat edge across the playfield, does it push the magnet down even slightly?

Rob

#10 9 years ago

Rob...when I put a flat edge across the magnet it does go down very slightly. I'd say about 1/32 of an inch.

#11 9 years ago

Okay so I think I found the problem and a temporary or possibly permanent solution for the magnet not being level it looks like the threads of the magnet core where it meets the stop plate is where The level issue is coming from my magnet core is slightly angled even though it is tightened down flush with the plate my father a retired machinist took a look at the whole assembly last night and while we could adjust the level with the bolts on the side of the mechanism that seemed like a giant pain in the butt and I would worry that it would cause more problems than it would help so what we did was to make a small split washer out of a sheet of brass we punched out the ID and the OD cut the washer and fit it around the shaft above the existing washer that stops the plunger coil which lowered it about a sheet of paper thickness and made the core perfectly level with the playfield I played about 15 games last night with not a single airball whereas before I would have one at least once or twice per game I will try to post some pictures when I get home this evening so far so good

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

12,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 26.50
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Lenticular Designs

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.