(Topic ID: 286003)

Metallica Coffin has a Ghost. Help!

By DurangoMeesh

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hi! Our Metallica (Pro) premium is having an ongoing issue. The coffin will light and creak like the Newton block has been triggered when it has not. Also, a random ball will launch for no reason here and there while another is in play. I have temporarily repaired this before, only for it to keep happening a few days later.
This game was purchased from it's original owner, who did not know how to get the balls out besides shaking the playfield to death. I think this is part of the issue. I have hot glued a few connectors under the playfield to prevent them from falling out, as the clips are broken on a few. I have been successful with preventing this issue for a while by cleaning the optos and plugging/replugging connections on the boards under the PF that have anything to do with the coffin. Any other suggestions are welcome! I have scoured the web. Thank you.

#2 3 years ago

Are the connections that you hot glued still coming apart even just a little? If so I would just bite the bullet and rewire new connectors with working clips. Eh, you might wanna do that anyway to be safe.

Do any of the pins look corroded?

What do you have to do to temporarily fix the random ball launch issue? Is it starting a MB or literally just an extra ball being launched? Does that ball end when one of the balls drain?

Let's start troubleshooting!

#3 3 years ago

Nope! They did once, but I reglued them. Pins look good, boards look good. Trying to avoid replacing everything. Maybe it will help if I attach some pics. I'm not sure why the clips are broken off, honestly, unless Mr Shakey pulled the connectors out for some reason.

I am assuming cleaning the optos in both the coffin and the trough are helping with the extra ball issue. Maybe it is the wiring, however? It just launches a single ball. The game does not end if a ball drains, and once in a while it even offers a ball save if you drain one. It's a nice ghost, anyways.

Thank you!

#4 3 years ago

I'm gonna go with cold solder joints or pinched wiring. Resolder any lose connections, and then hand inspect the wiring. Let us know.

4 months later
#5 2 years ago

So, if this helps anyone, I ended up getting new boards from Stern and the problem seems to be corrected. Opto board 2 and 3.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 29.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 25.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
$ 29.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-coffin-has-a-ghost-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.