Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Rob_G
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

964fe44f85ab975e536bec0014bf35f440d8aed6 (resized).jpg
15521717338151389475860 (resized).jpg
Square (resized).jpg
20190223_151134 (resized).jpg
20190223_151118 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I'm working on this Metallica vault (was the metal speaker panel version technically a vault?) And the playfield is not sitting in the cabinet squarely. I can only assume the cabinet is out of square. Any suggestions?

I already bent the one hook so it would fit in better, and that helped, but it's still really tight to raise and lower the playfield. Also tight on the left side to slide in the art protector. If I pull the back of the playfield to the right, it helps.

20190223_151118 (resized).jpg20190223_151134 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

This is the style cabinet where the corners split...

#3 1 year ago

Looks like the cabinet has a diamond shape .Hold it square with clamps and install the heavy duty style leg bolt inserts ( the kind that get screwed to both sides of inner cabinet)

#5 1 year ago

Could be the PF or PF hardware?

My AS is similar. Thought it was the cabinet too. Stern replaced the cabinet for an unrelated issue (splitting) but the snug PF remained. Maybe I have 2 flawed cabinets?

I’ve yet to dig into the why or how. It doesn’t seem warped or lopsided. I almost wonder if it’s the hooks, apron or the hardware near the back of the PF.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Astill:

leg levellers adjust?

How so? It's level.

Quoted from PW79:

Could be the PF or PF hardware?
My AS is similar. Thought it was the cabinet too. Stern replaced the cabinet for an unrelated issue (splitting) but the snug PF remained. Maybe I have 2 flawed cabinets?
I’ve yet to dig into the why or how. It doesn’t seem warped or lopsided. I almost wonder if it’s the hooks, apron or the hardware near the back of the PF.

It's weird because the back left is tight, but the front right.

Quoted from trilogybeer:

Looks like the cabinet has a diamond shape .Hold it square with clamps and install the heavy duty style leg bolt inserts ( the kind that get screwed to both sides of inner cabinet)

Thanks... I do need to put a square on it and see how bad it is. Those plates would help, I'm sure.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Astill:

leg levellers adjust?

Quoted from aobrien5:

How so? It's level

Often the cabinet will actually twist if not level.

Also, cabinets can go out of square - quite common in the furniture business. If the old sofa factory I had, if a frame wasn’t quite square it’d get a good whack on the opposite corner until it was. Industry standard practice.

Put a big square on the corners and see what’s up.

rd

#9 1 year ago

Updates...

#10 1 year ago

The top image; The front panel looks bowed.

Square (resized).jpg
#11 1 year ago
Quoted from RockfordReplay:

The top image; The front panel looks bowed.[quoted image]

That's what I was going to say. Is it possible it got hit and the lockdown bar piece is causing it to keep the bowed shape?

#12 1 year ago

Interesting...

Sorry, game not at my house so updates are slow in coming.

#13 1 year ago

Alright, so it is a little out of square. How would you use clamps to pull it back into shape?

#14 1 year ago

Ratchet strap diagonally. Cardboard under corners. I'm doing one currently. I'll send a picture when I'm back in shop later.

#15 1 year ago

Pull it a little farther than necessary, and leave it for 4 or 5 days.

15521717338151389475860 (resized).jpg
#16 1 year ago

Great pic, thank you.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from RockfordReplay:

The top image; The front panel looks bowed.[quoted image]

I see that bowed front, as well.

Looks like it is pushing the receiver bar too far back.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from dangerranger96:

That's what I was going to say. Is it possible it got hit and the lockdown bar piece is causing it to keep the bowed shape?

I think the wood has just warped and is pushing the receiver forward. I have an old cab I restored with a bowed faceplate.
When I first checked cab with a square it thought I was out of square but the bowed faceplate was deceiving me.

There is a way to fix it but the cab finish will not survive the fix.

#19 1 year ago

loosen the lockbar hold down plate and the coin door bezel and see if the wood is still warped/out of square. Metal can easily move wood if not square when bolted tightly.

Could have been hit or a faulty coin door etc...

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

loosen the lockbar hold down plate and the coin door bezel and see if the wood is still warped/out of square. Metal can easily move wood if not square when bolted tightly.
Could have been hit or a faulty coin door etc...

If the front is bowed, you could drill a heap of holes in the lock bar receiver and use some good chunky thread wood screws to pull the timber straight. The screws will pull it back, and the metal frame will keep it straight.

Firstly though, you want to put the square on all 4 corners, see if the back corners are out as well. If they’re ok, then it’s the bowing front that’s the issue.

rd

#21 1 year ago

Foil hat Alex Jones time...

What if one side of the cabinet is shorter (front to back) than the other?

Ya ain’t fix’n shit if so

This cabinet issue is similar to TWO of my AS cabs so ya gotta wonder if a CNC robot cut a thousand panels 1/4” off.

If you take peyote & speak into the palintir you can interface with inter dimensional beings who can view the past/present at once & offer insight to the issue.

#22 1 year ago

It is a little hard to tell with your pic on the position of the lockdown strap on the left hand side; It looks like it is sitting past the slot in the receiver but I cannot see if it is sitting as far past as the nearest strap that is "one slot" out of alignment. I would think if it is out of square then at least one of the lockdown straps would be hanging in the slot cockeyed. If it is out of square that web pulling trick looks good.

If it turns out the face plate is bowed, there two options.

The first option is rather drastic. You would have to make a series of kerf cuts.

Something like these guys are doing before they put up dry wall.

The 2nd option will not be so drastic but you would have to remove some wood. You will need some wood working skills.

1) You would have to raise your play field and mark a pencil line along the bottom edge of the receiver bar.

2) Remove the receiver bar.

3) Depending on how neat you want the job to be you will need some clamps and a 2 x 4 and clamp the 2 x4 under the line you marked at the lower edge of the receiver.

4) You will need and angle sander and will need to sand away the pushed in area of the face plate until your receiver will sit flush. The clamped 2 x 4 will keep you somewhat along a straight line.

5) It will not be noticeable when the lock down bar in installed.

If it was a solid piece of wood you could clamp it and steam it into submission. But it is plywood.

964fe44f85ab975e536bec0014bf35f440d8aed6 (resized).jpg
#23 1 year ago

Or even easier yet, remove the apron and remove the right hook bracket. Slot the hook mounting holes a bit so it can mount a bit further forward. Tighten the screws with the playfield down and the hooks in the receiver. I had to do this on my Metallica Premium because it had the same exact problem (plus a warped playfield which was replaced.

Rob

#24 1 year ago

I'm not capable of the major wood working that some of you are suggesting, but there are definitely a lot of good ideas in here that bear further investigation. I'm particularly relieved to hear I'm not the only one who had this problem with this same game.

#25 1 year ago

My Metallica Premium (metal grille) has similar issues and when it finally sits down in the slots, the left hook is about 1/2 inch raised above the bracket (doesn't seat completely). I can push it down on the left side to where they both sit, but it bounces back up. I've tried setting weights on the left side and leaving it for a day, but it doesn't seem to help. Mine was NIB in Jan. I'm also from Indiana. Could it be a quality control thing with a certain batch? How old is that one?

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from Joniano:

My Metallica Premium (metal grille) has similar issues and when it finally sits down in the slots, the left hook is about 1/2 inch raised above the bracket (doesn't seat completely). I can push it down on the left side to where they both sit, but it bounces back up. I've tried setting weights on the left side and leaving it for a day, but it doesn't seem to help. Mine was NIB in Jan. I'm also from Indiana. Could it be a quality control thing with a certain batch? How old is that one?

Play fields are made of wood. Wood warps. Yours sounds like warped (twisted) play field. Does the lockdown bar push the left side down and hold the hook in position? That is the design. There will be some sort of bumper up at the back to apply pressure to your play field and the lock down bar presses on those hooks to push them into position and straighten out a warped board.

Take your glass off and put on the lock down bar and see if it doing what I just described.

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from Joniano:

Not sure. Was not purchased NIB.

#28 1 year ago

I know this was mentioned before, but are you absolutely sure the floor is level and the cabinet is not in a twist? That little bow in the wood shouldn't cause this kind of issue, and I know from experience putting a cabinet in an uneven floor will cause all kinds of fit issues that you wouldn't expect. Cabinets will flex some...no matter what corner protectors you have in place. Just make sure you aren't trying to fix something that isn't necessarily broken. The easy way to tell is to move the machine to a different part of the floor to see if the gap changes.

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from Manimal:

I know this was mentioned before, but are you absolutely sure the floor is level and the cabinet is not in a twist? That little bow in the wood shouldn't cause this kind of issue, and I know from experience putting a cabinet in an uneven floor will cause all kinds of fit issues that you wouldn't expect. Cabinets will flex some...no matter what corner protectors you have in place. Just make sure you aren't trying to fix something that isn't necessarily broken. The easy way to tell is to move the machine to a different part of the floor to see if the gap changes.

Easier said than done, but definitely easier than some other solutions, so will look into it.

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from Joniano:

This possibly indicates a warped playfield and it can significantly affect the ability to level the game. I had the exact same problem and had the playfield on my game replaced by Stern in 2015.

https://vimeo.com/122073327

I tried for many hours and had friends help me trying to level the game. It was impossible to level with the front and back of the playfield being the same. The ball would roll easily to a stop on the right flipper, but not the left.

You will need to measure with a straight edge across the playfield (with pictures) to prove it is warped and then go through your distributor. The playfield wobble in my video wasn't enough to convince Stern it was warped.

Rob

#31 1 year ago

I had a very similar issue a while back. The playfield was pitched at whatever angle and the back of the game was level side to side, but I always keep my front leg levelers screwed all the way in so I never bothered looking at the front level. I noticed the playfield tabs weren't sitting flush and one was harder to get seated, so on a hunch I checked the front of game level and it was off. Once I leveled the front of the game the issue went away.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from Joniano:

I've got an issue logged with Stern for this same issue on a IMDN playfield. They haven't responded in a month.... Not looking good.

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from Maken:

I've got an issue logged with Stern for this same issue on a IMDN playfield. They haven't responded in a month.... Not looking good.

Did you go through your distributor? Check your playfield with a straightedge.

Rob

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
North Mankato, MN
$ 15.00
Lighting - Led
3D MODS
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside