(Topic ID: 92524)

Metallica and IJ4 are very similar games...

By shacklersrevenge

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by phishrace
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

metallica pro.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Well, I finally did it. I beat down the Metallica, stock settings and outlanes, loose tilt but it still goes off, believe me. Only rule change is Cross can stack with Coffin..the way it should be imho.

So I get the 4th CIU lit last night and I'm close to the 5th. I drain. I was pissed. I came back a few hours later and just pounded it, end of the line, the whole works, just to be like THERE! teach me will you

Anyways, I noticed I had over 250 captive ball hits, I had 4 extra balls...70 something snake hits, etc. Made me think back to a time I had an IJ4, and my personal quest to beat that game. I never did, and that was with specials to extra balls....that game was a beast and it WAS chopping wood, the same way Metallica makes you.

Metallica gets all the love, and why not. Great theme, toys, art, fun to play. But IJ shares some great toys too...and theme...sounds...hmmm. Like it or not, they are cut from the same mold, and I'm just realizing that but there is hardly any love for IJ4 (I like IJ4 too)

metallica pro.jpgmetallica pro.jpg

#2 9 years ago

fuuuuudge....that's an insane score. I'm nowhere near that.
we've shopped and sold several IJ4 and while it looks killer with LEDs, I think the game is kinda lame. I don't see any similarities to Met myself.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

fuuuuudge....that's an insane score. I'm nowhere near that.
we've shopped and sold several IJ4 and while it looks killer with LEDs, I think the game is kinda lame. I don't see any similarities to Met myself.

think about it- they really are.

Ark magnet- sparky magnet. Ark dumps a crazy multiball, sparky gets you a multiball. Both are ''center type'' shots.

captive ball to hit for modes
dual orbits on both games
scoop on both games
and the code is veryyy similar. Chop this X amount of times, wash, rinse, repeat. Both games have a finale, and I know of NOBODY that has seen the end of IJ4.

#4 9 years ago

I actually do agree to some extent with your thoughts, especially when you get past the 2nd CIU in one game. The amount of shots required to get anything to happen once you've had each MB a few times and need like 25+ shots for each CIU item feels really woodchoppy, and if you start and end Seen N Destroy, good lord have fun relighting everything.

I still think that the comparison is a bit extreme as I lose interest in IJ4 on location after one or two games, and Metallica keeps me coming back for more in my own home. The music, the sounds, the art, the lighting, the toys (speaking premium here for lighting and hammer toy- pro i guess would be closer and more fair a comparison?) all add up to much more than IJ4 for me, and there are alot of nuances to Metallica's rules that IJ4 has nothing like it (CIU, SnD being the obvious ones, but Fuel mode, snake lock, and the various MB rules have their own goals that distract you while progressing things)

AND one last thing to keep in mind, Metallica isn't done yet. I have no doubts that the Fuel lane lights, band member modes, and probably overall balance and challenge is still in a state where it could change in weeks, months, or maybe in a year (see: Tron).

#5 9 years ago

Sorry I don't see it. One is a very fun kick ass game and the other is IJ4.

#6 9 years ago

I don't see the similarity at all. IJ 4 has almost zero mode stacking, no strategy at all. Everything is stop and go. Only one ramp. Metallica has some nice stacking rules and lots of flow. The ball is not stopped often. Ij4 feels like a chore to play to me. Metallica does not.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Ij4 feels like a chore to play to me. Metallica does not.

My long story short from above is that Metallica does start to feel like a chore to me past the 2nd and especially 3rd CIU. Especially the captive ball. Ugh so many hits...

It's not nearly to the extent of IJ4 mind you but I think there is some similarity between the games if you play purely to get to the end game. The difference with Metallica is theres more strategy and variety if you want to score points and forgo the mode progression in favor of properly stacking things and shooting for points vs wizard mode progression.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I don't see the similarity at all. IJ4 has almost zero mode stacking, no strategy at all. Everything is stop and go. Only one ramp. Metallica has some nice stacking rules and lots of flow. The ball is not stopped often. Ij4 feels like a chore to play to me. Metallica does not.

Both games are hit hit hit hit hit hit x100 (250+?) 4 major shots. How do you not see the similarity- at all?

No strategy? Did YOU beat IJ4? Nope. I almost did and there was most certainly the same mentality and strategy as I used in doing so in Metallica. What is your strategy in Metallica?, what is your best score?

Metallica has nice stacking options IF you enable such options in settings. Otherwise, Electric does not stack with cross, or vice versa. Same with cross and coffin.

My point is, both games are built using the same gameplay code, Metallica is tweaked more. VERY few people can complete such a game.

Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

I still think that the comparison is a bit extreme as I lose interest in IJ4 on location after one or two games, blockquote>

IJ4 is one of the worst games to play on location, as most things are either not working correctly or broken all together.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

My long story short from above is that Metallica does start to feel like a chore to me past the 2nd and especially 3rd CIU. Not nearly to the extent of IJ4 mind you but I think there could be some lessening of the woodchopping to get into CIU late game.

There is no way possible that Markmon is playing along the same lines we are. If you know what it takes to keep that ball in play past just 2 CIU, you would agree the rules are INSANE in the same way IJ4 is.

There is a difference between one persons ''strategy'' being flipping the ball around and having a grand old time, and actually being able to get 3, 4 or even the 5th CIU-end of line. It is something that very few people are going to be able to do, just like IJ4.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

IJ4 is one of the worst games to play on location, as most things are either not working correctly or broken all together.

IJ4 is not unique in this regard.

My experience with IJ4 has always been on well maintained machines actually, and I've actually progressed fairly far in the game but it's ultimately boring as hell after you hit Ark multiball a few times and wow onlookers.

#11 9 years ago

There is no way possible that Markmon is playing along the same lines we are. If you know what it takes to keep that ball in play past just 2 CIU, you would agree the rules are INSANE in the same way IJ4 is.
There is a difference between one persons ''strategy'' being flipping the ball around and having a grand old time, and actually being able to get 3, 4 or even the 5th CIU-end of line. It is something that very few people are going to be able to do, just like IJ4.

If you play for score, progressing to EoL in Metallica isn't really the goal, and all the woodchopping kind evaporates. This is what IJ4 is missing.

My best Metallica score is 450 Million and that was with only 1 or 2 CIU modes played which is probably 30% of the game you played to reach EoL. There was little to no woodchopping to do that, just skilled (or lucky ) play.

#12 9 years ago

^agreed. For score, I would not go for eol, but maybe just a couple crank it ups, but mostly just chair and cross multiball, with a side of coffin thrown in.

#13 9 years ago

No strategy? Did YOU beat IJ4? Nope.

Don't assume. Its been a very long time but I completed each of the 4 features. I don't remember if there was a wizard mode or what.

What is your strategy in Metallica?, what is your best score?
Metallica has nice stacking options IF you enable such options in settings. Otherwise, Electric does not stack with cross, or vice versa. Same with cross and coffin.

Metallica had decent stacking without the multiball stacking. You can use the mb to complete requirements and enable CIU, for example. You can stack CIU and seek and destroy, fuel and everything. I've gotten to 4 CIU in one game. I never felt it was a chore.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Don't assume. Its been a very long time but I completed each of the 4 features. I don't remember if there was a wizard mode or what.

l have to assume! l have not heard of anyone beating that game.

#15 9 years ago

Uhh not even close to being the same in the fun category. I disagree.

Get mb and work on seek/destroy progression and thus CIU progression.
You can always turn down CIU hit requirements if you own the game.

I turned up my IJ4 requirements when I had the game...yuck!

#16 9 years ago

Both games are hit hit hit hit hit hit x100 (250+?) 4 major shots. How do you not see the similarity- at all?

I think you're reaching big time. IJ4 has typical Lonnie Ropp rules. There are only two ways to play it. For high score, the only viable strategy is to start multiballs to pound on the captive ball for bonus multiplier. Using this strategy, your bonus is often 10x more than what you earned while actually playing the ball. I think the highest I've ever gotten is 48x bonus on one ball. When bonus is the only strategy, that's not good. And if you want to reach the wiz mode, you have to chop wood for an hour or more to get close. Fatigue and/or boredom usually sets in long before that. No mini wiz modes (like CIU) along the way to keep you interested.

MET is Lyman Sheats' best game ever IMO. I thought that about AC/DC, but MET's code is even better. AC/DC is deep in a way that scares non-players. MET is also stupid deep, but far more approachable to lesser players than AC/DC. IJ4 is a casual players only game. Shallower than a kiddie pool. No disrespect to Lonnie, but MET vs IJ4 ain't even close.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Machine - For Sale
Plainfield, IL
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 149.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-and-ij4-are-very-similar-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.