(Topic ID: 46644)

Metallica - Am I the only one not excited about another music pin?

By pindome

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 144 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by krupa
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Creep.jpg
1976f1.jpg
thread.jpg

There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

First off I'm a big fan and have been to a few concerts BUT to listen to Metallica music in mono through what are probably five dollar speakers with next to no EQ is Metallica sacrilege IMO.

Maybe because I have a very high end audio system which cost more than a Metallica LE - it's hard for me to spend 7K for a music pin that will sound like shit.

Am I the only one in this club?

#2 6 years ago

If the pin is great, I'll buy it. I HATE--really hate--the music. Pure noise to me. Then again, I used to look down my nose at ACDC until I got the pin.

Preordering won't be necessary unless you just HAVE to have the top of the line. I'm OK with all the game features, and if they don't powdercoat the armor, I will. You can still buy ACDC Premiums.

#3 6 years ago

No, not at all but most people are not like you (or me) As a drummer and a huge fan of many genres of music I have been completely miserable in my car. It has a horrible system and every time I get in and listen to something it's frustrating. That said most people who do listen most likely have crap systems and the machine might even sound better. Seriously being serious.

#4 6 years ago

oh boy! here we go.... pop corn anyone?

#5 6 years ago

It'll be just like listening to them on the old tape deck boom box back in the 80's... That's how their music spread, kids swapping crappy old tapes back in the day. That's how I first heard them too... It's not sacrilege, it's HISTORY!

#6 6 years ago

Oh yay another Metallica thread

thread.jpg

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from pindome:

First off I'm a big fan and have been to a few concerts BUT to listen to Metallica music in mono through what are probably five dollar speakers with next to no EQ is Metallica sacrilege IMO.

I don't know. I think their first 4 albums were made to be listened to on 5 dollar speakers. They really didn't get a robust production until the black album.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Oh yay another Metallica thread

Based on the arcade I play in with tons of ReRave type stuff or other music oriented games I think the sound issue is a good question. We have 9 games lined up in that arcade and all you hear is that stupid DJ game.

#9 6 years ago

I am stoked, dumped Hobbit preorder for Metallica LE.

AC/DC sounds pretty good to me, so I'm sure Metallica will be more than fine...

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from pindome:

Maybe because I have a very high end audio system which cost more than a Metallica LE - it's hard for me to spend 7K for a music pin that will sound like shit.

I agree with you, but most people won't notice/care.

When the AC/DC premium/LE 12" woofer was released, most folks proclaimed how awesome it sounded. Hard for me to believe. The inefficiency of the 12" speaker sucked all the life out of the tiny amplifier. I installed all new drivers in my AC/DC...it improved the sound significantly, but there is only so much you can do with the dreadful mono samples.

Note that in general, I don't have high expectations for pinball audio...I'm typically happy with stock speakers.

#11 6 years ago

Metallica sucks. They haven't been relevant in 20 years. Popular, maybe, relevant, no.

The game looks standard issue with a few bells and whistles. Even if it was the best game ever, I still wouldn't buy one because it's Metallica. Sell out hacks.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from pindome:

Am I the only one not excited about another music pin?

Nope. Snoozefest.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from pindome:

Take solace in knowing that the next title is not super hero based.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from treborlicec:

Take solace in knowing that the next title is not super hero based.

Kirk and Spock may as well be comic book superheroes. They do all the same types of impossible things in a fictional setting.

I'm not stoked for another pin dedicated to an old white rock band.

#15 6 years ago

Um... this makes a grand total of two music pins Stern has released.

Now if you're talking superhero burnout... I'm in.

#16 6 years ago

Why did everybody forget Rolling Stones so quickly?

If we want to talk all Sterns we include Elvis too.

#17 6 years ago

AC/DC, Rolling Stones, and soon to be Metallica. I was not excited for any of them accept Metallica. But AC/DC really proved itself!

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from ChadTower:

Both fun games! Also DE Tommy & Guns 'n Roses. Rock + Pinball is like peanut butter & chocolate...it's a great combination!

#19 6 years ago

Is it too much to ask for a completely original theme for a change? Apparently so.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from ChadTower:

Yikes! You're right... I forgot about RS.

#21 6 years ago

I'm sure any original theme they do would be about a fictional old white rock band.

"See this bonus... this one is special... it goes to eleven."

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Jeremecium:

Is it too much to ask for a completely original theme for a change? Apparently so.

Go play Al G's Garage Band, then. If your theme is "music", how is a license bad!? It adds so much legitimacy to the game!

This is pretty damn original. All original art, all original toys....think of it as an original theme w/ Metallica music! Party Zone was an original theme but featured real licensed music tracks.

#23 6 years ago

Yes you are.

Smart money is dumping all jjp preorders.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

This is pretty damn original. All original art, all original toys....think of it as an original theme w/ Metallica music! Party Zone was an original theme but featured real licensed music tracks.

Some would argue that Party Zone hasn't exactly stood the test of time, lol...

I can at least get into AC/DC's music even though I'm not a "fan", but Metallica? Bleargh. I wouldn't buy this pin if I had the money just based on how these guys have acted for the last 10 years. I'll be happy to give it a spin if it shows up on location, but given that my primary locations in Dallas are a movie theatre and a nickel arcade/FEC.... LOL, GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

If your theme is "music"

The theme isn't music, it's Metallica.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from pindome:

Nope, I'm in it....a music pin sounding "ok" is not good enough, that's why I'm going to upgrade every way I can the sound on AC/DC...

And secondly, the theme has no appeal to me with my three kids (a little too far), might as well add Megadeath and Anthrax to the mix

Thirdly, James and Lars are d*cks....

#27 6 years ago

Beggars can't be choosers. We have ONE manufacturer of pinballs at the moment (Yes I know about JJP, Heighway, Spooky, Retro etc - but those will need to grow/mature and increas number of titles per year. Fingers Crossed).

Stern has to do what is best for the company. They have just had great success with AC/DC so from a business perspective, I get it - great hopes for repeating that success.

IN THE PERFECT WORLD (with more than one manufacturer) - Yes, ideally, I would have liked to see Metallica 1-2 years from now to give some variety of themes in between.

I feel somewaht similarly about the repetitiveness of Cartoon themes recently (Transformers, X-Men etc) - so it's not just music - but I'd love more diversity in theming including non-licensed original themes.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Both fun games! Also DE Tommy & Guns 'n Roses. Rock + Pinball is like peanut butter & chocolate...it's a great combination!

Wow really, nobody mentioned ELVIS?

#29 6 years ago

I am not a fan of the band at all but the pics look like it will be a fun game.

I am glad a couple of friends are getting one so I can play it

As far as owning one I don't so.

#30 6 years ago

I get excited about pretty much any new pin, because come on, it's a new pin! But I'm not extra pumped about this one because of the theme. I think what AC/DC taught us was that being a fan of the band wasn't a pre-requisite to being a fan of the game. Which is what I'm hoping Metallica will show us as well.

Plenty of those AC/DC tunes are still played in sports arenas and are out there in other places in pop culture. Metallica not so much, though I think I head Enter Sandman at an NBA or NFL game, I forget. So the playfield and rules might have to make up with the general populations lack of familiarity with the music on this one.

Or none of that and it's 10k by turkey day.

#31 6 years ago

Enough with the rock bands. Its Zombie time!

#32 6 years ago

Rob Zombie??

#33 6 years ago

It ultimately is about the pin. I am on the pre-order list for Hobbit, but did not really enjoy the movie much. However, if JJP can make the Wizard of Oz (a stupid movie in my opinion) into an apparent world class pin (I know it is premature), then anything can happen. If the flow is good and the software is there, then I could even put up with ACDC for a while. Metallica ... I am not sure. Where oh where is Led Zeppelin or Rush or Pink Floyd when you need them.

#34 6 years ago

My dick could not be softer for the announcement of Metallica. If it was a good band, I might have been excited.

#35 6 years ago

I have never really liked any of Sterns music titles, and this probably won't change that.
As always I'll give it a fair shot, and if it's a great player I'll just wear headphones and listen to something else.

#36 6 years ago

Maybe you can talk Stern into shipping a bottle of blue pills with your Metallica LE to take care of that 'little' problem

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

My dick could not be softer for the announcement of Metallica. If it was a good band, I might have been excited.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

Plenty of those AC/DC tunes are still played in sports arenas and are out there in other places in pop culture.

The Patriots play AC/DC nearly nonstop at Gillette Stadium. It gets pretty old after a while. It's so repetitive that I unconsciously associate For Those About to Rock with the NFL and not AC/DC.

We should probably leave Guns N Roses out of this. It won't help anyone. Talk about an old white rock band pin that has crappy sound and digitized fake music... holy hell that game is crap.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Maybe you can talk Stern into shipping a bottle of blue pills with your Metallica LE to take care of that 'little' problem

Even a crane couldn't get it up at that point. Especially when I would think about pissing away 7k on anything Metallica related. I'd buy the Bee Gee's pin way before this.

Tho, I do not like Metallica and never have. I do acknowledge the talent in song writting, performance and playing from the early years. And know why the people that like them, do. Least they have real talent. Not like this hip hop crap of today, where you program out a beat on their Casio keyboard, throw down some words and it's considered a song. yet they can't play an instrument or sing a tune. I'd take any Metallica song over todays Rap and hiphop crap any day.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

I head Enter Sandman at an NBA or NFL game

Mariano Rivera has it as his entrance music. Trevor Hoffman had Hell's Bells as his.

#40 6 years ago

One of my favorite pinball games is LOTR. I had never read the stories, I had never seen the movies, and I really could not have cared less about it when it was announced.

Turned out I could not stop playing it. It captivated me. It took me a long time to figure out what everything actually meant and why it was significant. As I learned more, I found the game/story integration was very well done. (I still haven't read the books; I compromised with my family who are big fans and watched the movies with them.)

I can't get into the WOZ theme. (Dead horses are still dead). But I can appreciate that WOZ might be a great game.

So, I can understand not liking a theme or in this case the band. However that does not mean it will be a bad pin. I am sure there are several people who started out with the "Oh, brother, an ACDC pin?" reaction and have come around because the game is very good. (pinlawyer above-case in point)

Same thing with Metallica.

I haven't been a "fan" of Metallica in a long time-my peak interest was almost 25 years ago (that is a different story), but I can see this game package looks very intriguing.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I'd buy the Bee Gee's pin way before this.

I'll kick that one off with the Stayin' Alive ballsaver.

#42 6 years ago

but sometimes the theme kills it. You can have a great designed pin, with great rules, and if the theme is so horrible you can't look past it. It's a deal breaker.

For you LOTR, you were neutral. DIdn't know anything about it. Didn't hate it, nor like it. That's different than something that irritates you for years and shows up in a pin.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from ChadTower:

I'll kick that one off with the Stayin' Alive ballsaver.

I guess you'd have it designed like DW or IM than, so you'd get full use out of that ball saver.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

but sometimes the theme kills it. You can have a great designed pin, with great rules, and if the theme is so horrible you can't look past it. It's a deal breaker.

FAMILY GUY.

Hate that game because I consider the show to be everything wrong with modern entertainment.

#45 6 years ago

I'm just messing with ya.

This hobby would REALLY suck if everyone liked..and disliked the same pins. Price points would be 10k to 1k with very little in between.

Did anyone just hear Avengers sales coming to a squealing halt? If they haven't already that is...

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Even a crane couldn't get it up at that point. Especially when I would think about pissing away 7k on anything Metallica related. I'd buy the Bee Gee's pin way before this.
Tho, I do not like Metallica and never have. I do acknowledge the talent in song writting, performance and playing from the early years. And know why the people that like them, do. Least they have real talent. Not like this hip hop crap of today, where you program out a beat on their Casio keyboard, throw down some words and it's considered a song. yet they can't play an instrument or sing a tune. I'd take any Metallica song over todays Rap and hiphop crap any day.

#46 6 years ago

I'm excited for it because it has two custom molded toys that actually do something. if the shots are good and the toys well incorporated, that will be a great thing, regardless of the theme.

And as far as the sound system goes. it will be just fine for its intended purpose.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Metallica sucks. They haven't been relevant in 20 years. Popular, maybe, relevant, no.

The game looks standard issue with a few bells and whistles. Even if it was the best game ever, I still wouldn't buy one because it's Metallica. Sell out hacks.

And AC/DC is relavant? or Rolling Stones?

#48 6 years ago

Like I said before, I am not a Metallica fan. I don't know who is a bigger idiot - Lars or Axel Rose. However, if the game is good and the music doesn't get under my skin, I will give it a fair shake.

I am not a huge AC/DC fan, but I think the game plays well now with the newest updates.

#49 6 years ago

No tempation to buy here either. I went online last night to to listen to some Metallica songs to see if I recognize any. Just not my taste in music. The pin looks interesting and hope it is a success for Stern. People are canceling JJP pre-orders maybe because they are confident that they will actually get a game from Stern in under 3 years. My guess is that the majority of Metallica sales will be overseas.

#50 6 years ago

Not a fan, so I'm not interested. OTOH, it is good to learn that there are other audiophiles on Pinside. My main stereo includes Martin Logan Summits paired with a Descent i, a McIntosh 402 amp, a BAT VK-32SE pre, and a VPI Scoutmaster table, among other things. 'Just sold a Martin Logan Stage to free up a little cash for the next pin. I have a lot of extra gear a step below that that I need to unload eventually. Like pins, audio equipment has a way of piling up! I've often wondered if someone would like to trade a good pin for some good stereo equipment, eliminating the need to sell the stuff piece by piece, which I tend to put off.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Escondido, CA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy
There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside