image-569.jpg
image-571.jpg
image-223.jpg
image-699.jpg
image.jpg
Met_DMD_idea.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
There are 224 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 10 years ago
Quoted from Engine09:

Didn't want to start a new thread, this issue has been happening with the new code as well as old.
May have missed it but is anyone else having a problem with the ball not rolling into the coffin after getting hammered down? Seems like maybe once in every 20 games, ball gets hammered down then sits off center on the magnet and does not roll into the coffin, gets jammed between the magnet and bottom of the playfield. I added some plastic shims on the v shaped metal tabs to narrow the path, still jams up.

I would take your balls out one by one and stick each into a box of paper clips. If any balls stick to the paper clips then toss that ball as magnetized.

#152 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I would take your balls out one by one and stick each into a box of paper clips. If any balls stick to the paper clips then toss that ball as magnetized.

I would concur. I've never owned silverjets or other balls that are known to become magnetic, bit I've had one ball on Metallica go partly magnetized and it stuck to magnet cores and the under trough mechanisms all the time before i realized what was wrong.

#153 10 years ago
Quoted from Engine09:

Didn't want to start a new thread, this issue has been happening with the new code as well as old.
May have missed it but is anyone else having a problem with the ball not rolling into the coffin after getting hammered down? Seems like maybe once in every 20 games, ball gets hammered down then sits off center on the magnet and does not roll into the coffin, gets jammed between the magnet and bottom of the playfield. I added some plastic shims on the v shaped metal tabs to narrow the path, still jams up.

Like this? Happened once and I increased the angle of the game and it's never happened again although I grit my teeth every time it grabs the ball

image.jpgimage.jpg

#154 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Can you de-magnetize them?

One of my balls got stuck on the sparky magnet.......just stayed there while game did ball search. Was it magnetized?

#155 10 years ago

Sonofa.......I never considered the possibility of a ball becoming magnetized. The current set of balls have been in for almost 6 months, going to throw them away and load in a brand new set. Will report back.

Thanks guys!

#156 10 years ago
Quoted from Engine09:

Sonofa.......I never considered the possibility of a ball becoming magnetized. The current set of balls have been in for almost 6 months, going to throw them away and load in a brand new set. Will report back.
Thanks guys!

Get the Pinball Life glossies, they're magnet friendly.

#157 10 years ago

This may explain some odd movements I have been getting on slow rolls. Didn't know this could happen!

#158 10 years ago
Quoted from Spartanmcdoodle:

This may explain some odd movements I have been getting on slow rolls. Didn't know this could happen!

The reason why you will see people recommend the Pinball Life glossies

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1325

is that they have a carbon core, and aren't as susceptible to being magnetized. They're good balls, I use them even in games without magnets, but IMHO they're a must have if you have any magnets in your game. Metallica is an obvious example.

#159 10 years ago

The Pinball Life ultra-glossies are my first choice when buying, but all I have right now are silverjets.

This is weird, few days ago I was getting phantom hammer locks & the ball getting stuck when the hammer smashed it down. Now I'm trying to test the lock and after the 5 captive ball/block hits it says lock is lit as expected then nothing happens when I nail it again. Nailing it again and again, coffin/hammer magnet will not grab the ball.

Just restored factory settings in case I changed something by mistake but no.

I see that this magnet is not controlled by the high current coils in group 1 but off a magnet processor board. Might have another issue now.

#160 10 years ago

Do paperclips or the like stick to your balls? Easy to test if they're magnetized.

#161 10 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

One of my balls got stuck on the sparky magnet.......just stayed there while game did ball search. Was it magnetized?

This was what clued me into my one ball being magnetized.

Seeing if they are magnetic is easy (use paperclips, silverware, etc...) or simply replace them all for like 5 bucks and enjoy worry free shiny new balls

#162 10 years ago

Perhaps but it wil just get magnetized again. You need balls impervious to magnetization.

#163 10 years ago
Quoted from Engine09:

Did you get the adjustment for this? Stern sent me a diagram of the hammer lock plate with an adjustment to keep,the ball rolling down . Let me know if you don't have it yet and I can try to find it and post it from my email

#164 10 years ago

Perhaps some are still having issues with the ball getting stuck in the hammer lock plate? Here is the response I received from Stern:

http://www.sternpinball.com/downloads/MTLA_SGM/MTLAB1.PDF

Please look at page B13 item #12 ( ball guide shrink wrap ). This piece may be missing or out of alignment and causing the ball to get jammed.

I still did not fix anything on mine yet as it has only gotten stuck very very infrequently and not at all in the last 50 or so plays. However perhaps this will help some others?

#165 10 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Perhaps some are still having issues with the ball getting stuck in the hammer lock plate? Here is the response I received from Stern:
http://www.sternpinball.com/downloads/MTLA_SGM/MTLAB1.PDF
Please look at page B13 item #12 ( ball guide shrink wrap ). This piece may be missing or out of alignment and causing the ball to get jammed.
I still did not fix anything on mine yet as it has only gotten stuck very very infrequently and not at all in the last 50 or so plays. However perhaps this will help some others?

This piece was missing on a couple games early on and can also result in the possibility of balls falling into the cabinet.

I still say check balls for magnetism. One magnetized ball caused problems with every magnet mech in my game until it was thrown out.

#166 10 years ago

I just had that justice bug happen. Cashed out fade to black CIU, then hit all the arrows. In the process started lady justice. Hit the scoop for my second CIU and it kicked it out and awarded me a completion total without ever even selecting a CIU mode. Then hit the arrows again and it was lit a 3rd time. Drained and it was not lit at the start of the next ball.

#167 10 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I just had that justice bug happen. Cashed out fade to black CIU, then hit all the arrows. In the process started lady justice. Hit the scoop for my second CIU and it kicked it out and awarded me a completion total without ever even selecting a CIU mode. Then hit the arrows again and it was lit a 3rd time. Drained and it was not lit at the start of the next ball.

So what's the bug? Sounds like you got your victory lap bonus.

#168 10 years ago

Anyone else still feel the hammer timing is a little off? Its way cooler in 1.5 but I still dont think you should be able to see the ball drop into the playfield. The hammer hits then seems to do another little drop.

Perfect visual would be hammer smash then when it rises the ball is already in casket and magnet back up flush with playfield?

#169 10 years ago
Quoted from Hashman:

Anyone else still feel the hammer timing is a little off? Its way cooler in 1.5 but I still dont think you should be able to see the ball drop into the playfield. The hammer hits then seems to do another little drop.
Perfect visual would be hammer smash then when it rises the ball is already in casket and magnet back up flush with playfield?

Yes in a perfect world. We live in an imperfect world, deal with a slight delay. Or blame Newton..

#170 10 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

So what's the bug? Sounds like you got your victory lap bonus.

Well I'm not sure. I hadn't ever gotten 2 CIU in one game yet before. I had heard the bug was where Lady Justice mode stops you from playing CIU. It didn't even let me choose a CIU song the second time it was lit. Is that normal and not a bug?

#171 10 years ago

Well I'm not sure. I hadn't ever gotten 2 CIU in one game yet before. I had heard the bug was where Lady Justice mode stops you from playing CIU. It didn't even let me choose a CIU song the second time it was lit. Is that normal and not a bug?

Once you complete a CIU mode you enter a 'victory lap' mode for the remainder of the ball where all the lanes light orange (on premium) and if you extinguish the arrows by shooting the shots, CIU lights for a jackpot collect (I think its 1/4 the points you pulled out of CIU mode) In short: It's not lit for starting a CIU mode - it's a different finale mode for CIU altogether, that can be stacked with various other features in the game (unlike while you are in CIU)

To relight it for a mode you have to complete 20 of the cross, chair, coffin, snake collects again. I've never done this all on one ball so I don't know if it stacks on victory laps or what happens exactly. I'm sure KME can elaborate on what happens if you succeed in playing the living hell out of the game all on one ball

#172 10 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Once you complete a CIU mode you enter a 'victory lap' mode for the remainder of the ball where all the lanes light orange (on premium) and if you extinguish the arrows by shooting the shots, CIU lights for a jackpot collect (I think its 1/4 the points you pulled out of CIU mode) In short: It's not lit for starting a CIU mode - it's a different finale mode for CIU altogether, that can be stacked with various other features in the game (unlike while you are in CIU)
To relight it for a mode you have to complete 20 of the cross, chair, coffin, snake collects again. I've never done this all on one ball so I don't know if it stacks on victory laps or what happens exactly. I'm sure KME can elaborate on what happens if you succeed in playing the living hell out of the game all on one ball

Wow that is really nice,i did not know this,i hope that rules gets writen soon!

#173 10 years ago

Still having major damn issues with the hammer magnet jamming the ball under the playfield. Seems like it's getting worse and I'm really losing my patience. After someone mentioned balls becoming magnetized I installed 4 brand new Silverjets, still jamming up. I then tried no less than 3 other sets of balls from other pins, still jamming up.

Pitch is fine, in fact set a tad bit steeper than 6 degrees.

A fellow Pinside member from Edmonton was at the location tonight playing, later brought to my attention that there was a recall on the magnet board. Going to search for that thread now. I guess my next step is to wait for the next ball to get jammed and then test with a metal object to see if the magnet is still slightly energized. Will check voltage also.

It was probably always this bad but I'm only noticing now because I'm actually playing the pin after the code was updated.

#174 10 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Yes in a perfect world. We live in an imperfect world, deal with a slight delay. Or blame Newton..

I'm dealing with it. Wasnt a complaint. Just an observation.

#175 10 years ago
Quoted from Engine09:

Still having major damn issues with the hammer magnet jamming the ball under the playfield. Seems like it's getting worse and I'm really losing my patience. After someone mentioned balls becoming magnetized I installed 4 brand new Silverjets, still jamming up. I then tried no less than 3 other sets of balls from other pins, still jamming up.
A fellow Pinside member from Edmonton was at the location tonight playing, later brought to my attention that there was a recall on the magnet board. Going to search for that thread now. I guess my next step is to wait for the next ball to get jammed and then test with a metal object to see if the magnet is still slightly energized. Will check voltage also.
It was probably always this bad but I'm only noticing now because I'm actually playing the pin after the code was updated.

What's your pitch exactly? Should be 6.5-6.7 or so.

#177 10 years ago

Ah, that makes sense. I thought I read you can relight CIU scoop for a mode quicker by hitting the arrows before the ball ended. Now I understand it is a victory lap. Sweet.

#178 10 years ago

if you complete all the red arrows and cash it in, it allows you to do it again (completion #2 now lit or words to that effect). If you start another CIU it kills the victory laps/instrument bonus for the preceding CIU.

#179 10 years ago

Stern Facebook pg reads 1.51 but I can not find on Stern sight

#180 10 years ago

It will drop tonight I know this because I am out of town.

#181 10 years ago
Quoted from Engine09:

After someone mentioned balls becoming magnetized I installed 4 brand new Silverjets

You really should stop doing that, Silverjets are a bad choice for games with magnets. Even if they fixed the problem it would be temporary since they'll just remagnetize. You really want carbon core balls.

#182 10 years ago
Quoted from Engine09:

Don't put silverjets in magnet games. I'm betting even new ones can cause problems in short order.

If you don't have the new magnet board you will also have problems - theres an adjustment in the code to revert to the old board but that will bring back phantom hammering and whatnot I think. If you have an LE or a very early Premium you need a new magnet board I believe. The magnet board under the PF should have a short ceramic resistor and a red dot on the center chip. If you have a long resistor and no dot, you have to get that addressed.

#183 10 years ago

For those that bet against Rarehero.... pay up.

1.51 just dropped....
"- Added (adjustable, may be turned off) ball saver to the modes. The
default is 10 seconds."

#184 10 years ago

I dont see the code?

#185 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You really should stop doing that, Silverjets are a bad choice for games with magnets. Even if they fixed the problem it would be temporary since they'll just remagnetize. You really want carbon core balls.

I mentioned a few posts up, Pinball Life UltraGlossies are my first choice, but all I have in the toolbox right now are brand new Silverjets. Must have been forced to buy from Marco a few months ago and added these to the order Have to have new balls ready to install when maintaining 15 pins. I'm trying to troubleshoot, using what I have on hand, placing a Pinball Life order tonight and will get UltraGlossies.

It's a Master of Puppets LE #106. Old magnet board, exchanging emails with Patrick Powers right now trying to get a replacement.

What's your pitch exactly? Should be 6.5-6.7 or so.

A bit steeper than 6.5.

#186 10 years ago

Played 1.51 in league play last night. Nice addition of sound and flashing lights to warn of the scoop kick out. Also like playing with Blackened in the background. That song brings back memories! Also nice to have a ball saver now at the beginning of the Crank It Up modes, although I didn't actually start one!

#187 10 years ago
Quoted from Iamdarras:

I'm not sure if is a bug or I might just need to check my connections in the ball trough. Every grate ounce in a while when I do the super skill shot, just after the ball hits a target or what ever it kicks me out another ball. Two ball multi ball? There is no indications that this is supposed to happen. Any one have a similar issue?

You figure anything out on this one yet?? My METPRO is behaving in the same manner....every once in awhile it kicks out a second ball after launching the first one off of a skill shot try. It happened to me both times when I had selected BLACKENED as my song....doubt that has anything to do with it though.

Also not sure if this is normal but when I hold in the left flipper to get the skill shot....I get a buzzing noise that dies down. I know this is how EM's sound off flipper holds but the right flipper doesn't do this?! It's loud enough to be quite noticeable.

#188 10 years ago

Played a ton of 1.51 today. Got my all time high score on the first game! 239m. I know others have higher scores on regular basis reported here, but it was a really fun game. I still have only completed a CIU mode 1 time back in 1.50. If i finally get through a couple of those ill have much better scores.

This makes the game WAAAAY better! Good job stern!

#189 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

You figure anything out on this one yet?? My METPRO is behaving in the same manner....every once in awhile it kicks out a second ball after launching the first one off of a skill shot try. It happened to me both times when I had selected BLACKENED as my song....doubt that has anything to do with it though.
Also not sure if this is normal but when I hold in the left flipper to get the skill shot....I get a buzzing noise that dies down. I know this is how EM's sound off flipper holds but the right flipper doesn't do this?! It's loud enough to be quite noticeable.

Nothing yet but still having this issue as well.
I am also having the same exact issue with the left flipper.....
Hmmmmm

#190 10 years ago

One of my Metallica flippers has the buzz. I assume it's because Stern duty cycles for hold power, instead of dual-wound coils. Some mechs vibrate more loudly than others.

#191 10 years ago

In the middle of a game my sound cut out and became very low. Banging on the cab seems to make it return to normal for a short amount of time. Grrr. I was doing so well with not having issues on this NIB purchase.

#192 10 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

One of my Metallica flippers has the buzz. I assume it's because Stern duty cycles for hold power, instead of dual-wound coils. Some mechs vibrate more loudly than others.

My left flipper buzzes, but not my right one. Seems to be plenty powerful.

Also, do you guys sense a cutting out Blackened? I had started a game and let the game sit after sinking the 1st ball. So it was ready to shoot the second ball, but I had to check some emails. The song was cutting out and getting scratchy, so i turned off the external sub and played, thinking the volume, as well as the shaker had vibrated the alligator clips off. Finished the game no problem. Selected another song and tried the sub again, no problems. Then when playing another game with Blackened selected, I heard it while actually playing.

#193 10 years ago
Quoted from Iamdarras:

Nothing yet but still having this issue as well.
I am also having the same exact issue with the left flipper.....
Hmmmmm

These are completely unrelated issues. Buzzing flippers are normal on sterns. Your other issue is probably related to the ball trough opto boards.

#194 10 years ago

In the middle of a game my sound cut out and became very low. Banging on the cab seems to make it return to normal for a short amount of time. Grrr. I was doing so well with not having issues on this NIB purchase.

I had this problem too. Some pinside peeps suggested that i reseat a connector in the backbox and that problem went away for me. I think it was J10. Its on the top of the computer board on the right in the back box. Heres the link

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-pro-subwoofer-cutting-out#post-1196909

#195 10 years ago

One of my balls got stuck on the sparky magnet.......

How'd you get them up there? Are you a gymnast?

rd.

#196 10 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

I had this problem too. Some pinside peeps suggested that i reseat a connector in the backbox and that problem went away for me. I think it was J10. Its on the top of the computer board on the right in the back box. Heres the link
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-pro-subwoofer-cutting-out#post-1196909

Thanks, I'll reseat later tonight and hopefully that will help.

#197 10 years ago

I have a question about the different scoring displays. There is the normal display that has always been on the DMD, but now it sometimes changes to another font and is surrounded by what appears to be snake skin or something. the score seems to match up from the different fonts, any idea what that is??

#198 10 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I have a question about the different scoring displays. There is the normal display that has always been on the DMD, but now it sometimes changes to another font and is surrounded by what appears to be snake skin or something. the score seems to match up from the different fonts, any idea what that is??

Are you referring to a premium when the spinner is hit? It now switches to a bunker/sandbag image and a weird font for the score. Seems to tie into a 'One' war theme with the spinner having a soldier on it. It seems unfinished and semi-pointless for the most part at this time. Where it's going I have no guess.

#199 10 years ago

Are you referring to a premium when the spinner is hit? It now switches to a bunker/sandbag image and a weird font for the score. Seems to tie into a 'One' war theme with the spinner having a soldier on it. It seems unfinished and semi-pointless for the most part at this time. Where it's going I have no guess.

Yep, that's it. As good an explanation I suppose. Thanks!!

#200 10 years ago

I had wondered about that, too. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 29.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 149.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

There are 224 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-150-comments-bugs-thread/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.