(Topic ID: 171634)

Metalheads and Punks Unite! Official Club

By Pinball-DOOD

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1283 (resized).PNG
    IMG_1283 (resized).PNG
    IMG_0883 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0908 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0878 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0824 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0793 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0830 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0979 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0142 (resized).PNG
    IMG_0125 (resized).PNG
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    Megadeth-Late-Night-Seth-Meyers (resized).jpg
    file-3 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 7 years ago

I was into metal before punk burst on the scenes in the late 70s. Living in a town that had a huge punk scene, got me involved with that music too.

Here are some of my homies doing what they do best.

#11 7 years ago

Another band from the neighborhood.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-DOOD:

SD live in your neighborhood, man?? Haha that's insane!

Not any more. But we are all the same age and grew up together. I helped set up their first gig when members of the Adolescents were still in SD. They played a song called Amoeba that night.

Once the Adolescents recorded Amoeba, it got quite a bit of radio play and put Fullerton on the map as a punk hotspot. DI and Agent Orange among a few others also hail from this area.

#18 7 years ago

Amoeba

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

D.I (separate shows); hungout drinking and smoking afterwards for hours. Good times!

Did you hang with Casey Royer? He was always a fun loving guy.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Sure did! Love Casey and his music. D.I was/is one of my favorites! He was very cool with us.

Casey's an old friend that lived up the hill from me. Great guy. He was the original drummer for Social D and then the Adolescents. Most of those guys moved down to the beach. Can't blame them as I did too for a long time before moving back. Nobody's left around here it seems.

#82 7 years ago

When I was 12 I spent part of the summer in Fort Lauderdale with some relatives. It was fun cruising around with my cousin Sally and her boyfriend in his new car.

A song came on the radio that changed my musical tastes forever. Looking back it was a little punk, a little metal, but pure rock and roll. It was like nothing I'd ever heard before, that's for sure.

#83 7 years ago

It may have started when mom took us to see this movie when I was six.

#109 7 years ago

#110 7 years ago

MC5

#111 7 years ago

The best metal bands of the 70s didn't always get a lot of radio play.

#115 7 years ago

Hard to say exactly what was the first band to play metal style music, but I'd have to say Cream might have invented it. Loud blues based music with power chords.

#119 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Link Wray was playing loud distorted blues with feedback and power chords a decade before Cream.

Righteous!!

#126 7 years ago
    Quoted from Metalmanmiles:

Whats everyones favorite era/decade of Punk or Metal?

I'd have to go with the 70s and 80s on both. Some after that. Maybe because that's what I listened to back then.

#130 7 years ago

I'll see your Rust In Peace and raise you one!

#132 7 years ago

OK you got me there, I'll have to go with something else for the time being.

#136 7 years ago

#137 7 years ago

#138 7 years ago

#141 7 years ago

Agent Orange

#142 7 years ago

This band was an inspiration. Most of the punk bands from this area give these guys credit. For when they started doing it. And watching them play.

#146 7 years ago

#147 7 years ago

duplicate

#196 7 years ago

Ramones.

#198 7 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

There were many loud heavy bands but for me this is the birth of it all.

A lot of people give Sabbath credit for starting it all, but since Cream was doing it two years earlier I give them the credit. Yardbirds may not have had that heavy sound, but they deserve a lot of credit for inspiring what followed.

#206 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Yardbirds may not have had that heavy sound, but they deserve a lot of credit for inspiring what followed.

Maybe they did have that heavy sound.

#208 7 years ago

Does anybody remember this gem from the band Flipper?

#209 7 years ago

The most thrashenest show I ever went to was put on by a local band called Attaxe. There was a lot of buzz for this band and the night I saw them at Jezebels there were record execs there looking to sign them. However the new singer Sully proceeded to incite a riot and the bouncers got up on stage and took their instruments away. So much for the big record deal.

#212 7 years ago

Let's keep this thread a rockin'.

#219 7 years ago

#226 7 years ago

There came a time when there was no longer time for a twenty minute song.

#227 7 years ago

Before punk, we still needed speed. And it was found here and there.

#228 7 years ago

Can I play DJ for a while? Fading into a Thursday morning.

#260 7 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Also what I wouldn't give to be at this show.

Imagine being at this show(warning terrible audio quality) but yes, I was there.

#265 7 years ago

It was an interesting time as most old school rockers had no respect for punk at the time. Two different worlds. The punks taunted the rockers and in return they got beat up.

I tried to stay neutral, but shortly after I got my hair cropped, some goon that came in my work tried to give me a hard time about it. I just told him he could keep his Journey and his In thru The Out Door, but he best be moving along....

#266 7 years ago

There was so much tension between early punkers and old school rockers it was ridiculous. Our senior year we had a rock and roll day at school and Mike Ness brought this poster and pinned it to a tree in the middle of the quad and lit it on fire.

That is a statement I will never forget.

th (resized).jpgth (resized).jpg

#270 7 years ago

Nick Guilder opened for shit treak, I mean Cheap Trick on new years eve 1979. He had a hot child in the city.

#272 7 years ago

I'm not sure what category this falls under, but it was a staple in my collection. I lent it to my girlfriends 10 year old brother and years later I ran into him and he was a full punk and somewhat of a drunk. A great drummer. He said this is what got him started.

#274 7 years ago

It was a pretty good show. Nielson was getting a little cocky when he was ripping a solo and mentioned it was 10 times better than Ted Nugent.

#276 7 years ago

You have to understand, at the time there was Foghat, Aerosmith, and Ted Nugent. Pick your poison. That's why I had to diversify.

#277 7 years ago

Between all the garbage we heard day after day, once in a while a song comes on that strikes you as memorable without being ground into your head.

#278 7 years ago

This may sound crazy but I thank the punk movement for my health. Like many I was a burnout. After listening to punk I got skinny and fit. I don't know if that's a coincidence or not.

#293 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-DOOD:

Hahah! Choosing punk was a good move my friend

It was a whole new scene...

#297 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

THE PROFESSIONALS - JOIN THE PROFESSIONALS

Do you want to be a professional?

#299 7 years ago

Punk came in all different flavors.

#302 7 years ago

I had that poster on my wall, as many did. But it was time for a change...

#303 7 years ago

I sat next to Ness in an art class before he formed Social D and I looked over and he was drawing this.

th (resized).jpgth (resized).jpg

#304 7 years ago

Dennis Danell was one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet. RIP brother.

l (resized).jpgl (resized).jpg

#309 7 years ago

Be Bop Deluxe

Dance of the Uncle Sam Humanoids

#324 7 years ago

When I was 19... this girl I worked with really liked this song.

#329 7 years ago

I kind of picked up on The Buzzcocks myself.

#331 7 years ago

Seven pages in and has anybody mentioned The Sex Pistols yet?

#333 7 years ago

I never cared for that Homosapien song. It was too repetitious and played to death on the radio. He was better with the Buzzcocks IMO.

Buzzcocks with Howard Devoto

#336 7 years ago

The Jam

#354 7 years ago

We went to see Stiff Little Fingers about then. Some Missing Persons were opening up.

#358 7 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

The first two Stiff Little Fingers albums are among my favorite punk albums of all time.

It was a great show and I think they are still going strong.

Wasn't a big fan of Missing Persons but they had an awesome drummer in Terry Bozio.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metalheads-and-punks-unite-official-club?tu=o-din and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.