3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by heatwave
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Mech_4.png

#1 3 years ago

Just picked up a 1967 Bally World Cup Soccer. Pretty complete and it works but the kicking mechanism (push down on the joystick to make the player kick) is somewhat sluggish for a few of the players.

Question is what type of lubricant would you suggest for this metal to metal mechanism (shown below)? I'm wondering if people would recommend some of the teflon superlube? Light Machine oil? White lithium grease?

Mech 4.png

It looks like there was some sort of lubrication used at some point. Machine has not been played in probably 10-15 years.

FYI - the black specs in the picture are not carbon dust but rubber from the belt that spins the shaft that ultimately drives the players forward and backward. Very ingenious mechanism.

Thanks-

#2 3 years ago

see my reply to your first post...

#3 3 years ago

I would go with the Teflon Superlube.

White grease is thicker, slows down mechanical devices that dont have much "horsepower" behind them. Also it dries up and turns harder over time.

#4 3 years ago

Right or wrong I use finishline dry lube for bicycles. I use it on bicycles all the time and started using it on pins when I got into them.

It is teflon based, doesn't attract dirt, and doesn't gum up.

http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/chain-lubricants/dry-lube

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ven:

finishline dry lube for bicycles. I use it on bicycles all the time and started using it on pins

That sounds like some cool s#!t. I would use that here. with the belt jis, its better to be dry.
    I need some of that.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

That sounds like some cool s#!t. I would use that here. with the belt jis, its better to be dry.
    I need some of that.

It goes on wet but quickly dries, and leaves a white dry film on the surface.

#7 3 years ago

Also if you use the finish line you have to make sure you clean off all the old caked on gunk before you apply it for the first time.

#8 3 years ago

I use Finish Line on rollers and shafts that are nylon on metal where the metal was once Teflon coated and the Teflon is now worn off. Light oil can work but attracts dust too easily which builds up and causes drag. Lube, even the Super Lube, is too sticky for my particular application.

To answer the original poster, if the metal on metal is a pivot point or sleeve bearing, I would use light oil since the super lube may be too thick to allow quick return action. If its a rubbing point metal on metal, I would use the super lube.

#9 3 years ago

I use Tri-Flow Teflon lube with great results on metal to metal pivot points.

Be sure to get the squeeze bottle. You'll be most likely to find it at a bike shop.

#10 3 years ago

I ended up using the suber-lube oil on the pivot piece (original photo) and some of the suber-lube gel on a sliding track for the goalies.

I still need to investigate a few sluggish players that might be gummed up slightly at the pivot point under the player itself (waiting for the game manual to see if it is shows a better look).

With the lubrication I have used the game does work much better than before and is a blast to play. It is even more fun with 2-player teams on each side. Plays a lot like the Super Chexx hockey games but the forward and back motion is motorized, controlled by a joystick.

Thanks to all for the input

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 22.50
    $ 89.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 20.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 89.99
    $ 15.00
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    £ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 6,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet Parts
    SECRET SANTA SALE Out of stock
    Flashinstinct
    $ 20.00
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 46.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Latenight Weeknight Mods
    Lighting - Backbox
    Lermods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside