Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Murphdom
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C6939673-1742-4AD9-8363-21DF622B8D25 (resized).jpeg
    A35D15F6-9635-4545-8C38-FDA9A5936614 (resized).jpeg
    15D5EE37-EC8E-428A-8225-A187BFE031F2 (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 years ago

I know it’s probably on the site somewhere but the search feature isn’t that great. How do I remove metal oxidation? I have a manual ball loading rod from the 1960’s that I want to shine up. Simple polishing compounds don’t work.

15D5EE37-EC8E-428A-8225-A187BFE031F2 (resized).jpeg15D5EE37-EC8E-428A-8225-A187BFE031F2 (resized).jpegA35D15F6-9635-4545-8C38-FDA9A5936614 (resized).jpegA35D15F6-9635-4545-8C38-FDA9A5936614 (resized).jpegC6939673-1742-4AD9-8363-21DF622B8D25 (resized).jpegC6939673-1742-4AD9-8363-21DF622B8D25 (resized).jpeg
    #2 4 years ago
    Quoted from Murphdom:

I know it’s probably on the site somewhere but the search feature isn’t that great. How do I remove metal oxidation? I have a manual ball loading rod from the 1960’s that I want to shine up. Simple polishing compounds don’t work.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Probably need an abrasive first, then finer polish after. Have you tried a polishing wheel and the black (abrasive) rouge? I'd put this in a cordless drill running against the rotation of the polishing wheel and use a bunch of black rouge on the polishing wheel to grind off the oxidation.

If that doesn't work, fine grit sandpaper by hand, then the wheel with black rouge, then red, then white.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Probably need an abrasive first, then finer polish after. Have you tried a polishing wheel and the black (abrasive) rouge? I'd put this in a coreless drill running against the rotation of the polishing wheel and use a bunch of black rouge to grind off the oxidation.
    If that doesn't work, fine grit sandpaper by hand, then the wheel with black rouge, then red, then white.

A dremel and a polishing wheel work great. You could also just buy another one. Marco usually has them.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

A dremel and a polishing wheel work great. You could also just buy another one. Marco usually has them.

I like the big polishing wheels because it covers more area faster. The Dremel wheels are so small...

#5 4 years ago

Vibratory tumbler should take care of the oxidation but that won't do anything for the pitting. Walnut shell media does a good job with polishing compound but there are other media available.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I would just buy a new one but I couldn’t find them anywhere. I can’t find them on Marco’s site. I know PBR doesn’t have the Gottlieb ones at least either. Although this is a Williams so I suppose I could check.

#7 4 years ago

Chuck it in a drill press (or hand drill) and spin it between progressively finer grit paper. Then polish the same way.

-Paul

#8 4 years ago

Have u tried evaporust? Hft cheapest

#9 4 years ago

I found an old horseshoe on the farm, prob 80 to 100 yrs old, put in evaporust for 2 days, all rust pretty much gone. Still needed to be brushed hard, but was amazing what it takes off. Filtered it, and reusing

#10 4 years ago

48 hours in evaporust didn’t do much on the handle end. It did help on the shooter tip end. It polished up pretty decent which you can’t tell in the pictures. Wherever this machine was kept made the door skin and the shooter rod and ball lift rod rust heavily but oddly enough nothing else. Inside of the door and machine are fine. I think they painted the front of the machine to match the rust? The whole front is painted an even maroon/red color

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pablito350:

Chuck it in a drill press (or hand drill) and spin it between progressively finer grit paper. Then polish the same way.
    -Paul

Took your suggestion and it worked great. Thanks

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Murphdom:

Took your suggestion and it worked great. Thanks

Pictures? All we have is the ugly "before" ones.

#13 4 years ago

I’m going to regrain them one more time. I need to pick up some finer grit paper. I think I used 220 because that’s what I had laying around. I’m only doing again because I’m picky about things. I’ll post some pictures when I get a chance.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metal-oxidation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.