New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 151793)

MET vs AFM

By TKDalumni

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by markmon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“MET vs AFM”

• Metallica Premium 29 votes
    51%
  • Attack From Mars 28 votes
    49%

(57 votes)

#1 4 years ago

I have these two games next to each other and started to notice the layouts are almost exact. Which do you prefer and why? One might have to go, so which is the keeper??

#2 4 years ago

I currently have both and they are both good games. AFM is better. And even if it weren't you can always get another MET (they are rolling off the line still) and it's always gonna be harder to get an original AFM.

#3 4 years ago

They are very different games. I enjoy both.

You're going to find a few similar shots here and there in all sorts of titles.

AFM is probably going to be harder to re-acquire for a reasonable sum.

#4 4 years ago

Very different? Right orbit, left orbit, right/left ramps return to opposite flipper, smash middle...maybe I'm trippin haha, but yes both are so good.

#5 4 years ago

Both excellent games, but I find that the strategic decisions and overall challenge of MET is greater.

Plus, MET is almost half the cost!

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Very different? Right orbit, left orbit, right/left ramps return to opposite flipper, smash middle...maybe I'm trippin haha, but yes both are so good.

Well, if you boil it down to those attributes, a number of games also have them-- MM, TWD, Stern Star Trek, IM, DW, SM...I'm sure I'm missing a few others.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

I agree and think they are very very similar as well !!!
I like afm better as far as theme and call outs but Metallica has a deeper rule set.
Like others have said it will be easier to find another Metallica if you sell

#8 4 years ago

Since I got really into Met Pro and the many ways to score well (especially Crank it UP), AFM just feels limited by comparison. AFM is still one of the best of all time, but the rules on Metallica make it the clear winner for me.

#9 4 years ago

I have both and don't see the comparison, fuel lane, crank it up hole, return to the pops from sparky.......no where to be found on afm lay out. I hate comparisons like this, just because a game has orbit and ramp shots close to another game by no means makes it a copy. The playfield on afm is wide open, on met everything is much tigher making shots more difficult. They play completely different.....imo

#10 4 years ago

afm weighs more

#11 4 years ago

Look I have both and enjoy them a lot..play them back to back and I wouldn't call them "completely different." I feel it's a fair comparison.

#12 4 years ago

Spiderman is more like AFM then Metallica

#13 4 years ago

I thought IM and Met pro are very similar.

Both have the same top roll-over and pop bumper location, two ramps feed the same flipper, roll over lanes tied to the in lane lights, center shot similar.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Look I have both and enjoy them a lot..play them back to back and I wouldn't call them "completely different." I feel is a fair comparison.

Pins don't have to be similar to compare them. Even though the layouts are similar, everything else feels different to me. Like you, I enjoy both. AFM is the total package with B/W fun factor. MET is more of a Stern ball buster...I've completed AFM, and don't expect to complete MET any time soon I think a larger collection can easily accommodate both. In a smaller collection (<6), I'd probably decide to sell one.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

I've never played MET and felt it was anything like AFM. I own MET and my good friend had a AFM for long time.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Yeah I think "you're trippin."

#18 4 years ago

Poll looks dead even, so guess I'll keep both!

#19 4 years ago

Sold AFM. Kept MET. Don't regret it. Both are great, however.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from bdaley6509:

Sold AFM. Kept MET. Don't regret it. Both are great, however.

MET appears to be the ONLY game you haven't sold, if that's not a testament to its greatness I don't know what is

#21 4 years ago

Both are really good fan layouts. Both are Lyman coded games. Afm is one of Lymans first and Metallica shows how his rule sets have matured. Fun factor is there on both of these games though. You can't go wrong with either, but I think it's a lot easier to rule the universe (which is do regularly on my afm and the outlane posts are actually pulled out of the game) than to get to encore (which I've never done).

#22 4 years ago

I have had AFM for about 5 years, and just got a MetPremium 5 months ago. AFM has always been a favorite of mine. We have played the hell out of Met since we got it and never once did I think they were similar games. After playing Met pretty much exclusively for a few months, my AFM felt dark and a little slower/classic feeling to me, but I still love both games. Like someone said above....lots of games have ramps that return to the same flipper and orbit shots, I don't feel much similarity in the feel of these two games at all.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah I think "you're trippin."

Guess I have the right to be trippin since I own both. Thanks for your valuable feedback!

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Guess I have the right to be trippin since I own both. Thanks for your valuable feedback!

Quoted from TKDalumni:

I have these two games next to each other...

Quoted from TKDalumni:

Look I have both and enjoy them a lot

Quoted from TKDalumni:

Poll looks dead even, so guess I'll keep both!

Yes but do you own both of them, and are you really impressed by that fact?

#25 4 years ago

Impressed enough that I feel qualified to ask the question. Anything else to add? No? Good.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Both are really good fan layouts. Both are Lyman coded games. Afm is one of Lymans first and Metallica shows how his rule sets have matured. Fun factor is there on both of these games though. You can't go wrong with either, but I think it's a lot easier to rule the universe (which is do regularly on my afm and the outlane posts are actually pulled out of the game) than to get to encore (which I've never done).

Gonna have a real hard time getting to Encore on Metallica.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Ha...or End of the Line.

#28 4 years ago

I've played hundreds of games on Metallica and never got End of the Line. Now that I own my own I figure it's just a matter of time...

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I've played hundreds of games on Metallica and never got End of the Line. Now that I own my own I figure it's just a matter of time...

I've never made it, but I've never tried to gun for it either. I can't pass up the sweet sweet CIU points and doubling them just to get to EOTL. I actually plan on selling my MET before too long so I guess the clock is counting down now.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I've reached it on Elvis

Since we've moved onto Met..how do you get to EOTL??

#31 4 years ago

I have both and neither is going anywhere.

#34 4 years ago

I sold JM because I thought it was similar to FT. That's a comparison I've never heard anyone else make, but the crossing ramps in both felt very similar to me. My point being, if you feel they are similar then that's all that really matters. If money isn't an object I'd keep the AFM.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

I've reached it on Elvis
Since we've moved onto Met..how do you get to EOTL??

By playing all 4 crank it ups then collect the needed inserts to light End of the Line

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

By playing all 4 crank it ups then collect the needed inserts to light End of the Line

Piece of cake!

#37 4 years ago

I would look at getting rid of street fighter first.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Yea see? It's so hard for me to get to I dont even have the name right.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodcliff Lake, NJ

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside