• Now: TWD Pro 21 votes
    29%
  • Now: MET Pro 41 votes
    57%
  • Wait: GB Premium 10 votes
    14%

(72 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 2 years ago

MET license ends soon... makes me think I should get one now if I'm ever going to. I don't love the music but I dig the whole package.

TWD... can't stand the show or the grating music at the start of every ball. But sonnabitch I sure enjoy playing it. Maybe I will swap the sound for some White Zombie?

In the end I'm gonna do what I'm gonna do. Not gonna lie maybe flip a coin to decide or be so indecisive for so long I buy nothing until GB Premium is sorted out.

But I'd like to bullshit & hear opinions from fellow pinheads. I've played both a few hundred times by now. The easy answer is "get all 3" & someday I might but space is limited & I dislike churning games.

I did a search & found several identical threads but they appear to have been before the most recent code drops.

On a side note it seems wise to wait at least 90 days after the Stern PF issues are resolved & request an accurate manufacturing date from my distro as well?

#2 2 years ago

I'd vote Met pro

#4 2 years ago

Walking dead

#5 2 years ago

Walking Dead by a mile

#6 2 years ago

Met pro... by a mile and a half...

#7 2 years ago

I have a Met pro. My friend has a TWD pro. I thought I wanted one until I played his. Met pro all the way.

#8 2 years ago

Met pro now, sell it for gb later, sell gb once the hype wears out, buy met again.

#9 2 years ago

One thing about Metallica music, I was only aware of their Black album and later music as well as 'One', was kind of meh at this point but I bought their first 4 albums and really got into a lot of their older songs much more and got to like the music in the pin. Still think there are a few songs that need to be changed for my taste. But initially I didn't like some songs because I had not really listened to the earlier albums.

I think a few of the songs are too slow for my taste and better songs are available from their catalog.

#10 2 years ago

I'm happy with Met pro, with TWD I'm torn between the pro and premium.

#11 2 years ago

Had both, sold both.

Miss TWD. Don't miss MetPro at all.

MetPro is going to have the curb appeal/social aspect. Everyone knows Metallica, and the layout is far more friendly to new players than TWD.

TWD is a "thinking man's" pin (not to be an insult to MetPro lovers, just hang on and read some more...).

MBs in TWD will get you points, but the modes is where the real points are, and with the "X" multiplier, there is some real strategy to how you stacks modes with certain multiballs and utilize the "X" at just the right time. Keith Elwin's video of him utilizing the "X" during Horde and dropping the "X" on his last "walker bomb" so he immediately got the "bomb drop animation" with the "X" multipler and the add a ball to keep hording going is a quick-reference example of strategic gameplay in TWD.

MetPro - it just didn't click with me. Bash the snake, bash sparky, bash the gravestone, bash the captive ball - 4 bash toys, limited stackage of multiballs (Sparky and Snake if I recall correctly), some mode stackage (Fuel/Justice/S&D/4 Horsemen combos) - there was some fun there, but TWD was a surperb rush - especially the light show/music on Horde.

My knowledge of MetPro is limited, so if I have mistaken in my casual talk, my bad. I remember TWD better, that's all :/...

#12 2 years ago

That is not quite correct regarding MB stacks, but your point is understood. There is more strategy in TWD as to setting up the modes/multipliers and using it in conjunction with the playfield multiplier.

They both shoot very differently as far as the shot patterns, returns and playfield geometry.

#13 2 years ago

TWD by a hair. However, MET is a great game as well. So there is no bad choice here. Grab one and enjoy the crap out of it. Both of those games (TWD and MET) are way better than your 3rd option (GB).

#14 2 years ago

F'n NPO... making sense n shit.

Good reply mang. I'm a pinball player, not collector. I need something more than a bash game with my small 4-6 game lineup.

Maybe MET is best suited for my monthly visits to CP since it's simpler while TWD is better suited for my basement since it's got more "meat" to it.

DaveH makes me think I should get both lol

#15 2 years ago

Have a Met pro and TWD prem. Love both but would give the edge to TWD,

#16 2 years ago

Well twd is Imo a much better game playwise Id normally recommend it, but since you "can't stand the show or the grating music" and met is still a fun game Id say you should go that way.

One of the biggest reasons I sold my tspp a while back is the hurry up music drove me nuts, sometimes its the minor anoyances that keep you from enjoying a game.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Well twd is Imo a much better game playwise Id normally recommend it, but since you "can't stand the show or the grating music" and met is still a fun game Id say you should go that way.
One of the biggest reasons I sold my tspp a while back is the hurry up music drove me nuts, sometimes its the minor anoyances that keep you from enjoying a game.

I should maybe clarify that outside of pinball I don't particularly like Metallica or The Walking Dead. I like the games tho

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Have a Met pro and TWD prem. Love both but would give the edge to TWD,

Same here and agree

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

DaveH makes me think I should get both lol

If you have the cash and the space, do it. They are two of the great Stern games. Fun to play, and they don't lose much value.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

If you have the cash and the space, do it. They are two of the great Stern games. Fun to play, and they don't lose much value.

I have the money/space for 2 NIB games.

But I'd feel like a total asshole for buying 2 NIB games... A glorious magnificent asshole with 2 NIB games tho

You're quite the enabler DaveH. I'm almost convinced to make that plunge. Gonna have to put you on ignore soon lol

#21 2 years ago

Look at it like this, you'd be supporting the US economy, American jobs/workers and the pinball industry all at once.

I'm borderline on buying TWD but can't decide pro or premium. GB premium looks good also.

#22 2 years ago

Metallica is great but gets stale after a somewhat long time of playing it and becomes more work than anything.

TWD is Lyman (and sterns) best coded game ever. The layout is tough and unique which gives it a much better last ability in a home enironment over the simple fan layout of Metallica.

Both are great, but TWD gets my vote and it's not even close. So much more to do with a wide range of breadth and depth.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

But I'd feel like a total asshole for buying 2 NIB games... A glorious magnificent asshole with 2 NIB games tho
You're quite the enabler DaveH. I'm almost convinced to make that plunge. Gonna have to put you on ignore soon lol

Nice thing about TWD also is there are about 5 different, very well-done audio packages that guys over here have put up for DL so you should be able to find one you like. I didn't mind the original but some of the others are fantastic... I'm using KPG's effort right now and am quite "enruptured" by it.

Can you name the old classic show where the main character routinely mangled words like these? Just want to see who I'm dealing with out there

#24 2 years ago

I just read more of the Stern insert thread.

Yikes! Maybe I should avoid NIB for a long time.

Figures. When I have money & space Stern has PF issues. I'm sure my furnace & AC will break once Stern fixes everything tho.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Hmmmm... I must be a 3/4 or 7/8 asshole since I have a new Metallica Pro to open next Saturday and on Wednesday I'm picking up a used Walking Dead Pro.

Did research and IMHO I gave the edge to Metallica... then things just worked out and TWD happened.

Can't wait for Saturday.

Either way or both ways I don't think you can go wrong. Have fun.

#26 2 years ago

I have both. Twd is just more fun with practice. Non pinball enthusiasts always like met pro more.

#27 2 years ago

Yes, I have and like them both. TWD is super tough as it kicks you're nuts over and over but can be rewarding on good gameplay.
MET is great, great callouts, music, layout, just a fun game, if you like the music it's even better.

Good luck.

#28 2 years ago

I remember TWD not being well received when it came out. Now it's well regarded. Maybe it's because of software updates but I still don't get it. Nothing about it really appeals to me but if you enjoy it then go for it. MET did it for me and I didn't even care for the music. It's just a load of fun to play and I am enjoying it even more now that I own one. Really like how it plays and the balance of the rules/difficulty. Not sure I am ready to call it best game ever but having a lot more fun with it than my other pins.

#29 2 years ago

you don't like either theme or sounds?, I would be getting a,MMR, IMVE, WOZ or get that Rob Zombie creation, Find something you like and love to play, Pabst Can Crusher!

#30 2 years ago

Looking at your collection, i say twd short ball time and great code like tspp and lotr.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I remember TWD not being well received when it came out. Now it's well regarded. Maybe it's because of software updates but I still don't get it.

I really disliked it right when it came out. I was a big fan of the show, so I was very disappointed. But I gave it another chance after a bunch of updates. It still took a while to click for me, but eventually it did. It ended up being a great game. The rules fit the brutal nature of the gameplay and the theme. It's good stuff.

On a side note, I hate that some games can take so long to reach their potential.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from oropuro:

you don't like either theme or sounds?, I would be getting a,MMR, IMVE, WOZ or get that Rob Zombie creation, Find something you like and love to play, Pabst Can Crusher!

JJP misled me once & handled things poorly IMO. I'm done w/them until they sell out or get bought.

Played MM to death. Done w/old games.

Pabst is neat but lacks what I'm after.

Rob Zombie is a pricy botique low run game. Not my thing there.

As you can see I'm a picky prick. Maybe I'm just jaded. Perhaps I'm becoming a grumpy old man as I age.

I appreciate the feedback tho.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.50
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside