Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Snurdley
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

images-2.jpeg
374025-i.jpg

#1 5 years ago

All,

Looking to pic up a new game. I originally wanted a Met Prem but they are no longer produced. I hear the rumors of them getting rerun is not true. That being said, I can still get in on the last run for Met Pro with the LEDs. My other choice would be to go with the TWD Prem. I have played Met but not TWD. What are the thoughts from people who have played both games. Thanks

#2 5 years ago

Met Pro by a mile (unless you must have the TWD theme). The Met Pro is almost as good as the premium/LE. Really a well-packed example of a Pro. A much more fun game than TWD—and I REALLY don't like Metallica as a band, so that's saying something.

#3 5 years ago

Glad to hear that about Met Pro - I was concerned about not being able to get the Met Premium

#4 5 years ago

Like the above poster, I'm not wild about Metallica as a band, but the pin is awesome. Zero reason to go Premium/LE with it, the pro is loaded and more than enough.

Love the TWD theme and show/comics, but the pin is a dud. Stern's worst game in a while.

#5 5 years ago

Met Pro but get the Prem/Le it's way better !

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from thunderking50:

That is what I originally wanted but the premium is no longer available so it has to be the pro now. I am glad to hear it is like the premium. I have played the premium but never the pro. Also the only Metallica song I know is unforgiven. I did not grow up listening to them like AC/DC.

#7 5 years ago

We'll see where Walking Dead ends up. It should have been a home run, but to date it is not. If Stern comes out with some killer code updates and maybe a few recommended mechanical tweaks (beyond what is required to make the mechs work out of the box, which they've done for the most part) it could be great. Right now it's not.

Metallica Pro is fantastic and I prefer it over the premiums. The art is solid, which is the biggest difference. You're not missing anything with that terribly executed hammer mech. It looks (and is) cheap and is in a terrible position. The drumroll spinners are pretty sweet and it's a bummer they pulled them from the pro, but it's not enough of a difference to make the premium worthwhile.

I'm also not a Metallica fan and have been a Walking Dead fan since long before the show aired, but when it comes to pinball I'd take MET any day over TWD.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from thunderking50:

More stuff is not necessarily "way better". Is it $1500 better?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Law:

More stuff is not necessarily "way better". Is it $1500 better?

Not for me, and you it would seem. I like the idea of the coffin lock, and the gravemarker mech, those are cool things, but I wouldn't pay $500 more for them. The hammer I have less than zero interest in, and spinners haven't mattered in a game in decades.

I've had some fun playing TWD, but it's not a super exciting game to me. Met I instantly liked and wanted to buy. And as others have said, I don't care for the music.

#10 5 years ago

yes. way better. if you're an OP, the pro is better since there's much less to break and lose you money. homeowner/collector should go premium/LE every time.
I can't stand the way the ball locks work on Pros. I like real ball locks. the raising cross I could live without, but not the ball locks.
Plus the premium translite blows away the pro [except the road case - that's hideous].

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

homeowner/collector should go premium/LE every time.

You're just drinking the Stern Kool-aid. If people didn't buy into this then every machine would have the premium features, and it wouldn't be an extra $1500 for maybe $50 worth of parts and a person-week's worth of code. Art preference you can argue, I do like the Monsters and MoP art over the Pro.

The p3 is proposing to support an ENTIRE GAME add-on for $2000-ish. What is Heighway's price point on swappable games?

#12 5 years ago

Twd is not a great game and Metallica is

#13 5 years ago

MET by a mile for me. Due to great gameplay/layout with fun rule set. TWD layout has done nothing for me. I'll still give it some play to see if that changes but right now I don't find it very much fun to play. I love the series and wanted to like the pin but no luck so far.

#14 5 years ago

met pro

#15 5 years ago

I have a Metallica pro and a walking dead le side by side and the Metallica gets more play. New code could help the walking dead, all the modes are not even there yet.

#16 5 years ago

Met Pro. I walked away from a TWD LE on ball three, and then came back realizing my transgression and finished the game. oof...........

#17 5 years ago

MET pro is outstanding, I personally prefer it over the premium because I find the hammer to be a bit of an annoyance (although the light shows on the premium are friggin' amazing). TWD is fun but doesn't really have staying power. At least not yet, maybe code updates and some minor physical tweaks could make it better.

#18 5 years ago

Thanks for the replies - I am going to order the Met Pro. I am now researching what mods to get. I actually had bought the LED back panel for the backbox a while ago from someone that never used it on here (I forgot that I had that) and just picked up the skull shooter which I thought looked cool.

#19 5 years ago

MET Pro.
I really love The Walking Dead TV Series. I really, really, wanted to like the pin, but every time I played it, I disliked it more and more. I no longer bother feeding it any money.
The first time I played Metallica (I'm not a fan of the band) I instantly loved the game. It's now my go to machine at my local billiard hall (which has ~20 pins). Well, it'd actually be my #2, if I had not purchased a Star Trek Pro for my home...
Also, my father, who's 68, really likes MET too.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

Thanks for the replies - I am going to order the Met Pro. I am now researching what mods to get. I actually had bought the LED back panel for the backbox a while ago from someone that never used it on here (I forgot that I had that) and just picked up the skull shooter which I thought looked cool.

Laseriffic guitars and pics are pretty cool. The lit speaker and acrylic cover are also pretty sweet. Joe at PinGraffix makes some cool side and speaker panel decals.

#21 5 years ago

I'm on my 2nd Met. Pro. My friend bought my first one for exactly what I had in it, and he doesn't even like pinball! I was without one for like 3 days. Immediately went out to buy another pro and started building it up the way I did the first one. I'm just about done with it now after about 2.5 weeks. And to reiterate what others said, I am not crazy about Met. as a band, but I do like Fuel since it was popular when I was in high school. That pin is something special. All versions of it are very rewarding to play.

LOTR, TSPP, SM, TRON, MET

Those are the only Sterns that really bring you back forever. TWD is fun for a game or two but pins take up a too much SPACE to own one. And before the ACDC lovers hate on me, it's fun and has the best sounds of any Stern, but has a couple flaws that I just can't stand.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Laseriffic guitars and pics are pretty cool. The lit speaker and acrylic cover are also pretty sweet. Joe at PinGraffix makes some cool side and speaker panel decals.

I do have a laseriffic guitar on my ac/dc. I will have to add that to the met too. i just don't want to over do it with guitars. The game now comes with a speaker panel decal that looks great. I am checking on if it also comes with the side decals. I definately will get the Metzel speakers, fangs, tounge decal and electrocution sparky wire. I will probably get my sparky painted by my toy painter. He did my monster bash. You can see some pics of his work here...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monster-bash-toys-are-all-done-and-painted

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

That is what I originally wanted but the premium is no longer available so it has to be the pro now. I am glad to hear it is like the premium. I have played the premium but never the pro. Also the only Metallica song I know is unforgiven. I did not grow up listening to them like AC/DC.

I own a pro and I actually prefer it. After playing on my pro for a year, I really can't stand the hammer!! Blah, blah argue that it doesn't block anything but IMO, It's cleaner without. You'll hear that from several I'm sure.

I have played a few LE games since owning mine and I really don't care about the extras. It is one fine game. You won't be disappointed!

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

Mark, when it comes to differences between a pro and premium version, I'd say the differences on MET are about a small as any other pro vs premium Stern out there. MET pro is an excellent bang for the buck.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Mark, when it comes to differences between a pro and premium version, I'd say the differences on MET are about a small as any other pro vs premium Stern out there. MET pro is an excellent bang for the buck.

Thanks Rob - getting excited over the Pro now. Cant wait to get it.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

Thanks for the replies - I am going to order the Met Pro. I am now researching what mods to get. ...

Go with the "Creeping Death" artwork pinblade side artwork panels.
They really add to the theme of the game and look great. Here are some pictures of them on mine with the pin on and what it looks like with the pin turned off.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-metallica-pinblades-and-lighting-effects-taking-orders/page/2#post-1335951

Purchase here:
http://pinballrefinery.com/store#!/Creeping-Death-Metallica-Pinblade-Side-Artwork-Panels/p/30141847/category=7060554

The snake on mine has teeth, I guess the earlier pins came with them from the factory. You can see it in the first photo on the linked thread.

#27 5 years ago

I love Walking Dead the show. I wanted to love the game. It's pretty cool and I will admit that my tastes change. BUT.....Metallica will prob always be better. It is just put together better, better ani, better music, better modes. ROCK ON

#28 5 years ago

I am not dogging Walking Dead, but I was wondering, did you try calling a few vendors to see if someone was sitting on a Metallica Premium somewhere?
Don't give up on your dream pin. Its not that old and its not impossible that they are out there.
Just to name a few to try: (feel free to add to this list if anyone has more)

Game Exchange JJ - 1-303-931-3685
Little Shop of Games - 1-561-248-9628
The Pinball Store - Mike - 1-800-727-8363
K's Arcade - Keith - 1-877-775-5399
Tilt Amusments Trent - 740-803-2276 (Doesn't show sold out on their website).
Betson - Joe- 1-800-274-6326
Lanes and Games - Mike - 1-617-876-5533
Cointaker - Melissa or Chris - 1-570-847-9595

#29 5 years ago

Met.

hand in the air

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

I am not dogging Walking Dead, but I was wondering, did you try calling a few vendors to see if someone was sitting on a Metallica Premium somewhere?
Don't give up on your dream pin. Its not that old and its not impossible that they are out there.
Just to name a few to try: (feel free to add to this list if anyone has more)
Game Exchange JJ - 1-303-931-3685
Little Shop of Games - 1-561-248-9628
The Pinball Store - Mike - 1-800-727-8363
K's Arcade - Keith - 1-877-775-5399
Tilt Amusments Trent - 740-803-2276 (Doesn't show sold out on their website).
Betson - Joe- 1-800-274-6326
Lanes and Games - Mike - 1-617-876-5533
Cointaker - Melissa or Chris - 1-570-847-9595

Talked with Trent @ Tilt a week or so ago...he didn't have any Premiums in stock but thought he had a customer that still had one NIB. May be worth talking with him....

#31 5 years ago

and lighting on metallica prime FABULOUS

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

Talked with Trent @ Tilt a week or so ago...he didn't have any Premiums in stock but thought he had a customer that still had one NIB. May be worth talking with him....

I didn't check the other vendors sites, but I happen to see Tilts real quick while looking for their phone number.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Rocky-Apollo:

and lighting on Metallica prime FABULOUS

I have heard the same, and was looking for a Premium just for the light show.....anyone know if there is a mod for a Pro that can get you close to the light show of the Premium?

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

am not dogging Walking Dead, but I was wondering, did you try calling a few vendors to see if someone was sitting on a Metallica Premium somewhere?

I did call a few of those vendors and some do have the Met Prem but now are selling it at a Premium price that I didn't want to pay.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Rocky-Apollo:

and lighting on Metallica prime FABULOUS

I have a pro, but the multicolored insert lighting is the only thing I feel like I'm missing. The spinners are cool, the hammer is cornball.

#36 5 years ago

MetPro all the way, baby!!!

#37 5 years ago

Easily Met Pro. I bought one of the LED pros a couple months ago, and it's hands down my favorite pin I've played. Walking dead is fun, but you need to like the theme. As far as a pro Met, my pro is modded out like crazy and is simply amazing to play and see. I'm glad I went with a pro nib vs. a used premium. Either way, you can't go wrong with either pin. You need to play each one before spending that kind of money though. Also, the walking dead pro to me is good enough vs the premium. That's my opinion though. Good luck.

#38 5 years ago

I'm considering adding on the spinners to my pro. It's really the only feature in the Pre/LE that I miss. FWIW, I have played all 6 versions of Met.

#39 5 years ago

Add the spinners. They are awesome!

#40 5 years ago

How do you add the spinners?

#41 5 years ago

There is a thread on it. Hooked put them together. They turned out awesome.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-hkd-metallica-pro-with-add-on-spinners

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I have played all 6 versions of Met.

You elitist.

What, no love for IM?

#43 5 years ago

OP: To clarify what people are saying about the "hammer" on MET Prem/LE: One of the best things about the layout is the way you can hit the central toy (Sparky) from either flipper. On the premium, it's still possible, but the hammer makes it a bit harder and visually ruins this clean shot from the right flipper.
The Pro is a very nice example of Stern not skimping on the lesser model: It has drop targets, metal ramps, some nice toys, and very good code. The difference to LE/Premium is much less than, say, ACDC (where Pro is a different game altogether). The features that are missing from Met Pro are not missed, and make the flow and game much faster/smoother in the opinion of many players.
You may want to buy a new translite, though.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

I have heard the same, and was looking for a Premium just for the light show.....anyone know if there is a mod for a Pro that can get you close to the light show of the Premium?

The "light show" really has nothing to do specifically with the color changing inserts. That is much more a "feature" during gameplay. If you are willing, and have some soldering skills, I feel that you can dramatically IMPROVE the lighting and sound of a pro for about $300 and some time. It's really better in my opinion, since you can choose exactly what LEDs and sound options you want.

Here's my MET pro shopping list:

Misc. speaker wire+solder ($5)
8 Blue "directional" coin-taker LEDs in place of the 44/47 bulbs used in the BACK PANEL of the play field. ($6 = $1.50/ea.)
8" "Pyramid" brand woofer from parts express - [flush mount] ($13)
Plate amp from parts express ($59)
4" "Kicker" brand speakers from Wal-Mart - [flush mount] ($44 pair)
12 v LED lit flipper buttons ($5 buttons + $3 LEDs)
Metallica belt buckle ($12 e-bay)
DIY LED white foam board panel ($7+$40 for warm white,blue,red,green LED strips on e-bay)
Cliffys for shooter lane and mystery hole (~$50 shipped)
Snake LED mod ($20 or cheaper if DIY)
2 Spinners and Targets ($37.90)(535-0179-00 $11.00/ea. @ Marco + 515-7088-00 $7.95/ea. @ Marco)
TOTAL, not counting shipping=
$301.90

To stay with your question, if you are even more ambitious, you can daisy chain any currently existing "flasher circuit" on the play field and add some accent lighting wherever you want. Like on the play-field OR flashers in the whiteboard-head-mod thing. Wiring can get a little messy so I would strongly suggest to draw it out before you actually start to wire it all up. I believe that Mezelmods has a kit to accomplish some of these features for those "less accomplished/experienced solderers" as well.

#45 5 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. I am interested in the spinners. I am ordering my game on Monday. My second mod already came in the mail today (Ok, I will admit I sometimes have a shopping problem where I buy some mods before I even decide to buy the game). Here is a pic of my new shooter rod (from kpull photo). I think it looks great. I have custom shooters on all my games. I also remembered that I bought the flipper fidelity back box light panel off someone probably a year ago.

374025-i.jpg
#46 5 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

I am ordering my game on Monday.

You might not want to post that kind of stuff online unless you already have a quote. The distributors, if they're smart, are reading this thread. If I was quoting something that I knew someone had already made their mind up to buy that day I'd jack up the price a bit. I'm not in sales though, so y'know. Be sure to shop around.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from Law:

You might not want to post that kind of stuff online unless you already have a quote. The distributors, if they're smart, are reading this thread. If I was quoting something that I knew someone had already made their mind up to buy that day I'd jack up the price a bit

Thanks for the tip but I already shopped around and have an agreed to price. The distributer told me it is no problem to get back with them on Monday.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I walked away from a TWD LE on ball three

That's just because you suck at pinball.
images-2.jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 199.99
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside