Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by arcademojo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_6210 (resized).JPG

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

Question for all of you, especially those who have owned these games... If you had to pick one, MET Pro or LOTR Standard, what game would you go with and why?

#2 2 years ago

Theme integration on LotR is like no other, and the super deep rules make it a great pin to have at home.

#3 2 years ago

Depends on which theme you like more. They're both great in their own ways.

#4 2 years ago

Say that the criteria was good ball times, lots of things to do, toys, and a difficult but completable wizard mode.

#5 2 years ago

MET is a great game... but LOTR is the greatest game of all time. It is special. It can only really be experienced by owning it. Everything in it is built to make you want more. The sub wizard modes (DTR and TABA) are fantastic. DTR breaks your heart when you miss the shot and drain, and thrills you when you do it. Even though I don't play it as much anymore, I still rate it as the best ever.

#6 2 years ago

both

when friends come over LOTR is always a one player game while the other guys play 2-3 player games on MET.

#7 2 years ago

Both are awesome. I had Met pro before lotr and still have Met pro

#8 2 years ago

I just got a met pro and likely will own it for a long time but LOTR is next on my list

#9 2 years ago

They sit next to each other in my basement, and I love going back and forth from one to the other.

But based on your criteria, I'd say you need a LOTR.

#10 2 years ago

Bought a LoTR NIB..... sold it. Have another LoTR that I am second owner. Its also sold now. Just too many multiballs all the time

Had a MoPLe and sold it to get a PRO where its still sits today as a staple of my collection.

MET PRO all the way.

#11 2 years ago

Both are life long keepers for me. They play on exact opposite ends of the scale. Hard to say which one best. Based on what you stated I'd go with LOTR. And as others said, When my league friends are over LOTR is that deep one-two player game and MET is the fast 4 player game. Or you could look at it this way. MET is the scrolling shooter video game and LOTR is the roll playing video game. You decide.

#12 2 years ago

I loved LOTR for a couple years but it just got to be such a slog through all the multiballs to get to anything fun.

I've never owned Metallica but these newer games really seem to have the best of both quick game ability as well as deep rules that keep you coming back.

#13 2 years ago

LOTR all the way. As has been said, it's got that magic that makes it unique and possibly the greatest Stern ever. Definitely not a game for quickies with buddies though. But if you want an awesome 1 player experience, it's hard to beat!!!!

#14 2 years ago

I have both in my collection now, and you really can't compare the two. My LOTR is an LE, but is essentially the same game as the standard. I can say without a doubt that the Metallica is fast, full of energy, fun shots, great call outs, and is a really, really fun pin to play. Everyone smiles when your electrocute sparky My kids jump between MET, Hobbit, and the WOZ. The LOTR is more of a complex game, full of great challenging shots, and has a very deep set of rules, and is almost impossible to beat (Valinor). So much so that the kids have a hard time appreciating the game, but most adults can't get enough. My advice is to buy both

Hope this helps

#15 2 years ago

LOTR is the best stern ever made and probably the best machine ever period. and I've owned nearly every stern and played em tons.
if you set it up hard, you wont have complaints of "it plays to long" yada yada yada.

#16 2 years ago

Both are so different, and it depends on what you refer to as a "Good" ball time.

Metallica is quick, short and mean. Everything feels doable, but it's super hard to get there.

LOTR is deliberate, long, and epic. Keeping the ball in play is easier, but it's really difficult to progress too far into it.

For me, LOTR does not align with what I like in my games. At all. I like a pinball machine where I can play for five minutes and feel like I had an amazing game, not one that a 20 minute game didn't get me through too much. I personally don't mind shallow wizard modes, so long as I can set the game up so mean that I can't get there regularly. I don't like when LOTR is set up really hard, as then it makes an already nearly impossible task even more impossible.

I can completely appreciate that LOTR is one of the best games ever made and there is a reason that so many people say it is. I agree with that, it just doesn't fit me as a player.

Metallica on the other hand fits me perfectly. I like the Pro *much* more than the Premium model too.

If you're between those two, what typoe of player are you?

#17 2 years ago

Lots of the standard 'LOTR plays too long' comments in here. As silver_spinner said, it's all about how you set the machine up.

Metallica is actually a long playing game as well with many multiballs. It's not too hard to put up a few hundred million on MET, and that takes a while.

Both are fantastic games, two of the best ever.

#18 2 years ago

I own both and I like Metallica more because the game is harder, quicker, and I like the theme more than Lord of the rings.
I also like owning Metallica more as I see it in competitions more than Lord of the rings.

#19 2 years ago

Own lotr and it's not leaving. That said, one game can make me feel satisfied for the day. I've had hour long games and just barely got to taba. It's better complimented by a simpler game too.

My nib met pro should be arriving today so I hope that's a keeper for a while

#20 2 years ago

both can have long ball times, lotr even more so, the difference being that lotr holds your interest and is much better than met. No contest unless you hate lotr theme and love metallica.

#21 2 years ago

Both are Sterns best modern pins. I have LOTR and MET premium. They are both incredible. If I had to just have one, it would be LOTR.

#22 2 years ago

Metallica all day long, in my opinion.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from mesmashu:

both
when friends come over LOTR is always a one player game while the other guys play 2-3 player games on MET.

Same

#24 2 years ago

I have owned both for extended periods of time. I love them both for so many different reasons. Too tough to call in my book...

#25 2 years ago

I have both as well (METLE instead of Pro). I probably play MET more because its more accessible. Its fast, fun, feels more modern and makes for a good quickie. Having said all that, LOTR is epic. The code is stunning and surprises me even after owning it for years. Its perfectly suited for the home environment as there is so much to do... there are parts you may never see. Parts I haven't seen. Yet, knowing there is something out there i've never seen keeps the thrill alive for every single game. Do I get to Destroy the Ring? There And Back Again? Valinor this time??? Nope. Maybe tomorrow. Classic. LOTR will be the last game to leave my collection... no question.

#26 2 years ago

LotR probably a little better but Met pro could be more fun to play. It's all subjective but you picked two masterpieces and both are amazing.

I think Met has better lighting and sound, LotR can be clunky but may have better rules, not saying Met has bad rules.

#27 2 years ago

U need to play both, buy one now and when ur done with get the other, I just do understand these vs threads when the answer is clear, both.

#28 2 years ago

both are great. Here's the jist of it.

LOTR- great to play by yourself. Awesome longevity.

MET- Great to play when you have people over, or for league/tournaments. Good party game.

#29 2 years ago

Tough to decide and it will come down to personal preference. What I will say is that I very much doubt you will be disappointed whichever one you choose.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from silver_spinner:

LOTR is the best stern ever made and probably the best machine ever period. and I've owned nearly every stern and played em tons.
if you set it up hard, you wont have complaints of "it plays to long" yada yada yada.

But then what's the point?

If you set it up hard, a game would still take a very long game to see all the cool stuff. The difference is you're less likely to see it.

I completely loved LOTR for many years, but I eventually got tired of the long games. I now own a Met Pro.

#31 2 years ago

LOTR is a weird game in the fact that if you're trying to reach Valinor, extra balls become essentially worthless at some point because of the difficulty in re qualifying the multiballs. You've basically got 2 shots at each one, and if you don't make it you're pretty much done. Extra balls can help with TABA, but for the most part it seems like you're either a good enough player to beat them in two shots or your not, and if you're not then requalifying the 3rd time is going to be very difficult for you.

#32 2 years ago

Voted in the poll

#33 2 years ago

I miss every pin I've ever sold--well, except Monopoly-- but if I were to choose MET or LOTR again, it'd be LOTR.

It's an epic 1-player game. MET is a difficult multiplayer game. Non-pinheads will never reach any CIU mode.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Non-pinheads will never reach any CIU mode.

That I will disagree with. CIU is not hard to get to eXpecially if you juts tell them a thing or two (complete the items in MB). Hell my wife did it once.

#35 2 years ago

Tough call for me. Metallica has that push the button one more time feel to it and I get more of a rush from playing it than most other pins. LOTR is just an epic pin, great themed pin with an amazing and deep rule set, but ball times can be very long. I've had both, sold met, still have LOTR, but somewhat regret selling met. I'd say buy whichever theme you like best, can't go wrong either way.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

That I will disagree with. CIU is not hard to get to eXpecially if you juts tell them a thing or two (complete the items in MB). Hell my wife did it once.

Fixed my quote

Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Non-pinheads will only reach any CIU mode once.

#37 2 years ago

Ooph..hmmm....I'll say LOTR only cuz it's against Met Pro. If it was Met Prem/LE, I'd be stumped. Both. lol

#38 2 years ago

Lots of great input here, thanks all for chiming in.

I love LOTR, but hearing that the main wizard mode is virtually impossible to reach, makes me think it's pointless. I want a game that challenges me, but one where I can one day see myself finishing. I had MM for 5-6, played it a few times every week, and just recently finished BFTK. Still a challenge to get to, and definitely a blast!

Not sure how tough the wizard is to reach in MET, so would like to hear from you guys.

Also, I like games with a good amount of Multiballs!

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Not sure how tough the wizard is to reach in MET, so would like to hear from you guys.

For someone of your skills pretty impossible.

Shotgunning through (as tough as it was) Crank it Up modes in Met I never got to whatever it is....end of the taco ?

EDIT: Without getting all weird, LOTR will probably make you happier trying to get there. It's more of a story aspect and jazz like that. Met is straight cash homie.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

but hearing that the main wizard mode is virtually impossible to reach, makes me think it's pointless.

False. Well, yes, Valinor is virtually impossible to reach (unless you cheat)... but there is so much on the journey. You want a challenge? Start trying to actually finish those multiballs! They all have different objectives, and they each lead to a gift from the elves. Modes time out, OR you can try to finish them leading to higher scores in TABA. There are bits and pieces all over the place. It isn't just "get to Valinor". There are things you will b able to do, and things you simply won't be good enough to do (good luck completing Return of the King multiball). The super jackpot in Two Towers (which is the completion before victory laps) is the best callouts in all of pinball. It's greatness comes from each of these achievements along the way. Go ahead, earn 4 gifts in a game (complete multiballs or modes). There are some modes that are easy, and others that will require all your skill. It's different from MET because finishing things gets you something needed for your journey.

Don't get me wrong, I love MET too. CIU is a blast. I just disagreed with your thinking a game is pointless if you can't finish it. I don't know many people that can finish MET either.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Say that the criteria was good ball times, lots of things to do, toys, and a difficult but completable wizard mode.

Under this criteria, you just defined LOTR to the tee.

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

For someone of your skills pretty impossible.

Hahahaha... What?!?!?

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Hahahaha... What?!?!?

ha nothing personal at all but The final Wizard mode on Metallica is extremely extremely hard to get to. Probably not as hard as LOTR buy you're probably splitting hairs at that point.

#44 2 years ago

I do love this thread - I think we're pitting two of the best game ever made against one another...

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

ha nothing personal at all but The final Wizard mode on Metallica is extremely extremely hard to get to. Probably not as hard as LOTR buy you're probably splitting hairs at that point.

IMO the final wizard mode on Metallica is far easier to reach that Valinor. I've reached Metallica twice, and have played hour long games on my LOTR, destroyed the ring three times, and still didn't reach Valinor....maybe because I suck

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

IMO the final wizard mode on Metallica is far easier to reach that Valinor. I've reached Metallica twice, and have played hour long games on my LOTR, destroyed the ring three times, and still didn't reach Valinor....maybe because I suck

Agreed. You do suck. No I'm just kidding! I agree Final wizard mode is way easier to reach. I've also destroyed th ring multiple times AND have gotten all the gifts AND have reached each multiball AND completed two of the three multiballs but not all three. So close! LOTR is spectacular. Metallica - I bought and sold. Music grates on me after a while. But also a special game in terms of code.

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

Agreed. You do suck. No I'm just kidding! I agree Final wizard mode is way easier to reach. I've also destroyed th ring multiple times AND have gotten all the gifts AND have reached each multiball AND completed two of the three multiballs but not all three. So close! LOTR is spectacular. Metallica - I bought and sold. Music grates on me after a while. But also a special game in terms of code.

I suck too! Damn I wish I could get to that wizard mode.

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I love LOTR, but hearing that the main wizard mode is virtually impossible to reach, makes me think it's pointless.

Well, for me that would be both games. I've made it to TABA and DTR only a hand full of times in the 3 years I owned LOTR.
I don't even dream of getting to Valinor. But I know my skill level and it's not the greatest so just getting to the mini wizard modes are very satisfying. To be honest I'd thought about setting everything to easy and tightening up the outlanes just so I could get there but have too much fun trying.

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

LOTR is just an entirely a different animal, and frankly u can't compare the two. If I want to get a quick pinball fix then the Metallica, MMR LE, Hobbit, WOZ, AFM LE are my go to games. The family always gravitates towards those as well. My LOTR LE is a long, fun, complex game thats incredibly fun, rewarding, yet frustrating.....I scored over 800 M one night on my LOTR and still didn't reach Valinor....although I was only a couple shots away....someday I will make it

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I love LOTR, but hearing that the main wizard mode is virtually impossible to reach, makes me think it's pointless. I want a game that challenges me, but one where I can one day see myself finishing. I had MM for 5-6, played it a few times every week, and just recently finished BFTK. Still a challenge to get to, and definitely a blast!
Also, I like games with a good amount of Multiballs!

I've never made it to Valinor, but I was like 1 or 2 shots away...but that never makes me feel the game is pointless. Every mode and multiball in LOTR is so perfect, and there are plenty of mini-wiz modes along the way (Destroy the Ring, There and Back Again) that you always feel like you've accomplished something, even if you don't make it all the way to the end.

I've made it to End of the Line twice, I think.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 219.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside