Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by arcademojo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

94ac144cc614f8525acfac931e6e79252b6033f6 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I know this has been covered alot as far as the differences go, but I found 2 nib Metallica's. One pro and one pro led. There is a 300 dollar difference. Is it worth saving the money and buying original and installing my own leds?

Also, what is the build quality between the two? Are both Playfields made by the same company? Thanks in advance.

#2 1 year ago

Any input?

#3 1 year ago

The regular pro had a wood back box right?

If so I'd go with that one. Just personal preference

#4 1 year ago

I have the pro led with metal backbox and clear starting to chip in shooter lane if that helps. Wife and I compete with each other on this one so it gets played.
-Mike

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from timtim:

The regular pro had a wood back box right?
If so I'd go with that one. Just personal preference

I had the original edition and besides shit coil stops (the 'gold dust' prospectors used to call it), it was solid. It also allowed me to only LED the inserts and it looked great.

Let's face it, you pretty much have to get a color DMD for it right off that bat so there's 4 hundy.

#6 1 year ago

Original run has the better playfield, before they changed their clear formula. You can color match the inserts. No shit cabinets or decal peeling.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I had the original edition and besides shit coil stops (the 'gold dust' prospectors used to call it), it was solid. It also allowed me to only LED the inserts and it looked great.
Let's face it, you pretty much have to get a color DMD for it right off that bat so there's 4 hundy.

Ya I figured the color dmd is a must. There is also a used original run one with some mods for another 300 less than that. Figured it's worth getting the nib original and adding my own leds.

Also, do the LEDs ghost or flicker in the original?

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

Original run has the better playfield, before they changed their clear formula. You can color match the inserts. No shit cabinets or decal peeling.

Agreed. I own an original and other than coil stops, great machine.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Also, do the LEDs ghost or flicker in the original?

Not much that I could tell. I think there was one or two inserts were if you really looked you might see a faint light...but well within parameters for me.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Not much that I could tell. I think there was one or two inserts were if you really looked you might see a faint light...but well within parameters for me.

Sounds like the original is worth it. I was mostly just concerned with the quality of Stern's new machines.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Sounds like the original is worth it. I was mostly just concerned with the quality of Stern's new machines.

Quite frankly I'd be buying old over new for that reason alone...throw in $300 on top and for me it's an easy decision.
Good luck.

#12 1 year ago

Has anyone every weighed these, I have the AC/DC pro and played the new AC/DC at a show earlier this year it felt lighter. Maybe it was just the surface it was sitting on but the new ones seem to weigh less?

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

Original run has the better playfield, before they changed their clear formula.

Find out the year of the MET Pro LED. I have one and the clear and cabinet are perfect. But it is 2015 before the problems started.

Freaking playfield is not drilled for the playfield support brackets (like previous Pro games) so I would go original if it has the holes for the supports. Glad Stern saved 50 cents on that one.

#14 1 year ago

From everything I'm reading lately about stern's issues, I'm affraid to buy a new one. My met pro was built in 2013 and is solid

#15 1 year ago

My buddy had an original Met Pro and it was pretty solid. What a great game!

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from KJL:

Freaking playfield is not drilled for the playfield support brackets (like previous Pro games) so I would go original if it has the holes for the supports. Glad Stern saved 50 cents on that one.

It was? Shit. i drilled my own pilot holes....HA!

#17 1 year ago

Just confirmed with distributor and all I need to do is send in the dough. Going with original. Thanks for everyones input. Don't need the stress of worrying about cracked clear coat.

#18 1 year ago

Congrats! Welcome to the club.

#19 1 year ago

Great choice... I miss those in line drops!!

#20 1 year ago

Depends on the year of the new one? I actually perfer the led pro as it had all the fixes applied and has the tilted back speaker panal with artwork. 2015 and prior were usually ok. I had both at the same time and the original had some insert wear with 500 plays and the led one with 1200 plays looks new. Regardless its a,great pin so enjoy....

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Depends on the year of the new one? I actually perfer the led pro as it had all the fixes applied and has the tilted back speaker panal with artwork. 2015 and prior were usually ok. I had both at the same time and the original had some insert wear with 500 plays and the led one with 1200 plays looks new. Regardless its a,great pin so enjoy....

Idk the year. I was surprised that I found someone who still had an original nib for sale. Figured the only ones I would see were the pro led, and MSRP of 6k. Worth it to shop around

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Idk the year. I was surprised that I found someone who still had an original nib for sale. Figured the only ones I would see were the pro led, and MSRP of 6k. Worth it to shop around

6k? Sld be able to get one at 5k or little less .

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

6k? Sld be able to get one at 5k or little less .

For an led pro?

#24 1 year ago

Yep... for sure

#25 1 year ago

New pins with the lcd are 5300 -5400 . A older pin like met sld b around 5 k. I paid 4500 for mine 2 years ago.

#26 1 year ago

What about 5400 shipped pro led? Are you guys including shipping?

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Depends on when the LED game was made... Metallicas have been being made nearly continuously for years.

The earlier LED models should really have no quality difference to the original pros. Some had issues with the head decals peeling but that was a short period and all those games should be fixed by now.. so it's a non issue.

It boils down to which backbox you want... and if you want the game LED'd up front or not. A custom Metallica LED run from cointaker should run you about $110 bucks if you don't buy non-ghosting. See https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/an-improved-stern-metallica-pro-led-map-and-list#post-3175974

If they were within $100 of each other, I'd probably buy the LED.

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

What about 5400 shipped pro led? Are you guys including shipping?

Yea sterns always include shipping. Thats crazy if they are charging 5400 for a pin that sold for 4200 when it first came out. .....

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Yea sterns always include shipping. Thats crazy if they are charging 5400 for a pin that sold for 4200 when it first came out. .....

I just don't understand where you find these sub 5000 Metallicas. Used ones are 5k maybe less. Led ones on pinside are low 5s used.

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

I just don't understand where you find these sub 5000 Metallicas. Used ones are 5k maybe less. Led ones on pinside are low 5s used.

4 yrs ago they were cheaper. The LEs sold for what the new premiums are now...

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from robotronjohn:

4 yrs ago they were cheaper. The LEs sold for what the new premiums are now...

So the distributors just went up in their prices too even though it's an earlier stern?

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

So the distributors just went up in their prices too even though it's an earlier stern?

Yep

#33 1 year ago

$5100 shipped to your front door for Met Pro LED. Call some of the distributors mentioned all the time here.

For what it's worth, I have a Met Pro LED made in May (I believe) of this year. After over 300 plays the clear looks really good, I have a minor chip in the shooter lane, and the cabinet is perfect. I bought the Williams leg brackets, but haven't installed them, because the cabinet has no issues.

#34 1 year ago

Well I guess I gotta pay to play! It's easier if I don't think about the money and just enjoy the game. I will probably be keeping this a while so it's worth the few hundred dollars loss.

When I bought my first machine I thought it was 3500 dollars that I will never get back until it dawned on me that you can usually sell a game in a few weeks or days If it's priced Right. I love pinball

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from Monk:

$5100 shipped to your front door for Met Pro LED. Call some of the distributors mentioned all the time here.
For what it's worth, I have a Met Pro LED made in May (I believe) of this year. After over 300 plays the clear looks really good, I have a minor chip in the shooter lane, and the cabinet is perfect. I bought the Williams leg brackets, but haven't installed them, because the cabinet has no issues.

So I messed up. I found one for 5100 and thought that was original run since it didn't say led pro on website. So the one I'm ordering for 5100 is not an original run but an led.

Thanks to you I called around and found another for 5100 and that led me to finding out that there never was an original met pro to be had. Haha this whole thread about compareing the two was a waste. O well, can't wait to play!!

#36 1 year ago

It's the perfect compliment to your LOTR, enjoy! Highly recommend picking up a color DMD and selling your red one

#37 1 year ago

I bought a new in box regular Pro a few years ago and it's played flawlessly ever since. Other than one broken rubber (D'oh!), I've never had any issues. The playfield is perfect. I just installed LED bulbs myself. It's actually a very easy machine to LED. Not much to remove to get to if memory serves. You can easily access everything from under the playfield.

#38 1 year ago

Met Pro LED and loving it.
LED OCD'd so less epilepsy, colordmd'd so I can actually make out what those fantastic dots are supposed to be, and a shaker as icing on the cake.

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Met Pro LED and loving it.
LED OCD'd so less epilepsy, colordmd'd so I can actually make out what those fantastic dots are supposed to be, and a shaker as icing on the cake.

How is Playfield quality? Any ghosting or crackling inserts? Probably going to get cliffys day 1

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

How is Playfield quality? Any ghosting or crackling inserts? Probably going to get cliffys day 1

Cliffys are awesome and he's a cool dude. Everything I own has cliffys on it. Even made me a custom part for an lotr that I had once.

#41 1 year ago

I'd stick with the original. We play the crap out of my original and 0 issues besides the coil stop dust. No wear on playfield. Besides it looks great next to a LOTR.

94ac144cc614f8525acfac931e6e79252b6033f6 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 93.00
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St Jacob, IL
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 150.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fruitland Park, FL
4,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Portland, OR
$ 35.00
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Des Moines, IA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 64.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 199.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside