• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

185510932 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_7908 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hello, tried searching for this issue but didn't find anything. I have a NIB MET Pro LED with about 50 plays on it. Everything had been working fine. Haven't played it in a month or so, went to play a game last night and had issues.

The ball will automatically plunge from the shooter lane, once it does, the Sparky shakes and lights up once it leaves that first switch in the shooter lane. It then fires Sparky again when it goes into that upper switch coming out of the shooter lane onto the playfield. It also lights Sparky when the ball goes into the snake's mouth. Basically I'm getting Sparky multi ball non stop and the magnet is always powering on when doing so.

Any ideas on why Sparky lights up with all these switches and why the ball auto plunges all the time? I have no idea where to start.

Switch tests and coil tests seem normal and there are no tech errors.

Thanks

#2 2 years ago

Check the switches on sparky. Sounds like something is constantly triggering.

#3 2 years ago

When I test the shooter lane switch, it registers, but then a 1/4 second after I test the switch, it auto plunges and says sparky opto on the test....?

When I go up to the actual optos near sparky and put an object between them, it doesn't register. Snake test also sets off the sparky chair opto.

#4 2 years ago

So seems like you need to investigate the optos in front of sparky. You will need to check to make sure the wires are correct, and that the optos themselves are aligned.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Apex:

So seems like you need to investigate the optos in front of sparky. You will need to check to make sure the wires are correct, and that the optos themselves are aligned.

I had reseated them. They should be correct since they worked up until last night. Not sure how to align them. I'll look up on YouTube. If the alignment was the issue, why would it set Sparky off from the shooter lane and snake scoop?

#6 2 years ago

Optos detect a switch opening due to the breaking of a beam. If the alignment is off it can be just off enough that the vibration from other things can cause it to go from open to close to open again. The reason I am guessing it is auto launching is that the switch is registering while the ball is in the shooter lane and the game thinks the ball should be in play. Does it give you the ball save animation too?

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Apex:

Optos detect a switch opening due to the breaking of a beam. If the alignment is off it can be just off enough that the vibration from other things can cause it to go from open to close to open again. The reason I am guessing it is auto launching is that the switch is registering while the ball is in the shooter lane and the game thinks the ball should be in play. Does it give you the ball save animation too?

Do you have Powerbladez ? Mine was doing a similar thing, and they were interfering with the opto in front of sparky , whenever Sparky was hit, the machine went haywire in different areas . I finally had to remove the Powerbladez and put the pinblades in , with pinball refinery creeping death lighting rails ,, haven’t had another issue ,,,,

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from BigalzPinz:

Do you have Powerbladez ? Mine was doing a similar thing, and they were interfering with the opto in front of sparky , whenever Sparky was hit, the machine went haywire in different areas . I finally had to remove the Powerbladez and put the pinblades in , with pinball refinery creeping death lighting rails ,, haven’t had another issue ,,,,

Nope, totally out of the box stock.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Apex:

No ball save animation that I saw. I can double check next time I screw with it. This is why I got out of the hobby in the first place. I can't fix these things!

#10 2 years ago

It may be vibration that is triggering the switch. Put the game into switch edges test, then pound on the playfield with your fist.

If you've already reseated the connectors on the opto board, there may be a connection issue at one of the optos. Also possibly a problem with the opto board. I'm guessing even the pro has more than one opto board. If so, swap one with Sparky board and see if the problem moves.

#11 2 years ago

Your autoplunge is activating because the game thinks a ball is in play so it is related to the sparky issue most likely. Your optos at sparky are misaligned and/or the target switch needs to be regapped. Go into switch test mode and see what’s active. It should be an easy fix.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Your autoplunge is activating because the game thinks a ball is in play so it is related to the sparky issue most likely. Your optos at sparky are misaligned and/or the target switch needs to be regapped. Go into switch test mode and see what’s active. It should be an easy fix.

Electric chair opto doesn't register in test. Nothing is an easy fix for me. . Thanks

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from tidalwdave:

Electric chair opto doesn't register in test. Nothing is an easy fix for me. . Thanks

They may just not be aligned. There is one on each side, not hard to get to.

#14 2 years ago

The grave marker switch (optos), at the back of the drop targets, is connected to the same opto board as the electric chair optos. Is that switch working?

The opto board used for both of those switches should have two red LEDs lit when the nothing is blocking the optos. Are you seeing those two LEDs lit?

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

The grave marker switch (optos), at the back of the drop targets, is connected to the same opto board as the electric chair optos. Is that switch working?
The opto board used for both of those switches should have two red LEDs lit when the nothing is blocking the optos. Are you seeing those two LEDs lit?

Grave optos work. The two LEDs are both lit. Electric chair opto doesn't register in test, but grave one does.

#16 2 years ago

With the power off, carefully swap the four small connectors on the board. Swap J1 with J3 and swap J2 with J4. Then power up and test each switch again.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

With the power off, carefully swap the four small connectors on the board. Swap J1 with J3 and swap J2 with J4. Then power up and test each switch again.

Okay, I think we are making progress. I swapped them, then the grave and chair optos worked in test. Then I put them back to normal and both still tested okay. Started a game and after that, the chair opto stopped registering. Put the game back into switch test and chair optos still didn't register, but when I hit the direct center of the apron, the chair opto activated. I hit the apron on the right and left sides, it didn't set the opto off, only if I hit the apron directly in the center would it set it off. I looked, but don't even see any optos or switched directly in the middle of the apron, unless I am overlooking something?

Thanks

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from tidalwdave:

Okay, I think we are making progress. I swapped them, then the grave and chair optos worked in test. Then I put them back to normal and both still tested okay. Started a game and after that, the chair opto stopped registering. Put the game back into switch test and chair optos still didn't register, but when I hit the direct center of the apron, the chair opto activated. I hit the apron on the right and left sides, it didn't set the opto off, only if I hit the apron directly in the center would it set it off. I looked, but don't even see any optos or switched directly in the middle of the apron, unless I am overlooking something?
Thanks

The vibration from hitting the apron is moving the optos at the chair. You need to take a look at how they are mounted and make sure they are aligned and secured at the chair location.

#19 2 years ago

Okay. I'm getting close. When I wiggle the wires going to the receiver opto, it sets of the switch in test mode. So, loose wire? How do I access that opto? Do I need to remove Sparky?

#20 2 years ago

No idea if you need to remove Sparky, but you should probably go ahead and order an opto. They come with the wire and connector attached. No soldering. Get a spare for later.

It could just be a bad solder connection on the board, but it could also be a cracked leg on the LED, which isn't easily fixable. Metallica uses transceivers, so same part number on both sides. Part number is in the manual.

#21 2 years ago

Okay, thanks. Just ordered two.

#22 2 years ago

I think they are pretty far forward, i would start with just the plastics and see if you can get to them.

10 months later
#23 2 years ago

Same Exact issue of Sparky/Electric Chair Optos acting all haywire - thinks it's getting hit all the time which is causing auto plunging and loads of points!! I just installed PowerBlades and didn't change anything else so that must be it. Does anyone know a fix or using Metallica Creeping Death Powerblades without an issue? Thanks! Jay

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from PumpkinKing:

Same Exact issue of Sparky/Electric Chair Optos acting all haywire - thinks it's getting hit all the time which is causing auto plunging and loads of points!! I just installed PowerBlades and didn't change anything else so that must be it. Does anyone know a fix or using Metallica Creeping Death Powerblades without an issue? Thanks! Jay

I had the same issue many moons ago after installing the powerbladez, could never quite find a fix, adjusting the optos helped for a while but issue always came back. Finally decided to take out the powerbladez,as it was ruining the game I loved playing so much. Installed the Creeping Death regular side blades, and installed the Pinball Refinery Creeping Death Lighting Rails, which, have basically the same effect, and I am very happy with and have had no issues of setting off Sparky.

185510932 (resized).jpg185510932 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_7908 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_7908 (resized).jpg
#25 2 years ago
Quoted from PumpkinKing:

I was thinking of getting the powerblades last May when I picked up my Metallica. I read about the problem,and it seemed to be hit or miss that you were going to have problems with the powerblades. I didn’t like the odds,so I opted out. I really like the looks of them,and it’s a shame they never sorted out the problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 29.95
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.95
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 149.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/met-pro-sparky-and-auto-plunger-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.