Topic Stats

• 137 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 23 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

333CA520-68BF-4559-9EB6-ADE9C7E06F06 (resized).jpeg
20171203_200057 (resized).jpg
pinball playfield wood (resized).JPG
D44BDF4D-9B04-494B-B777-904A3029D6F0 (resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_20160305_180325_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_8586_(resized).JPG
MetPremRtsling_(resized).jpg
Mysteryholesplitting_(resized).jpg
Mysteryholeunderplayfield_(resized).jpg
IMG_0476_(resized).JPG

There are 137 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Please stop stating your opinion as fact.

Everybody here does this, every day, every post.

Are we really supposed to preface every opinion with "in my opinion...?"

That seems strange. It's up to the reader to decipher a fact from a value judgement.

#102 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

They should come up without damaging the playfield as long as you wax before installing them.

This is key with any protector or mylar you wish to place down.

#104 3 years ago

Happy to report I received the same fast turn around time as ita47 did for my replacement playfield from Stern. It was delivered on Monday.
This replacement playfield looks good with the exception of some chipping around the pop up post hole behind Sparky.
Im going to try touching it up and probably put a piece of mylar on it.
Hopefully that will prevent any further chipping.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

1 week later
#105 3 years ago

Mmmmm I don't play my met pro enough to bang the pf up but it has the same build.

1 week later
#106 3 years ago

Just an update on my Met Pro debacle. I sent my playfield in and received my replacement. Upon installing the new playfield I noticed I was missing the wire harness that connects to the transformer. So I contacted my distributor and they said they emailed Stern. This was over two weeks ago and I am still waiting for an answer. My game has been down for over a month because of the playfield issue and now I can't put everything back together because I am missing a wire harness. My head decals are completely off (peeled off after one month of owning the game) and I have new ones yet to be installed (which is intimidating). I am happy that Stern has made things right so far but it seems to be one thing after another and at times can take awhile to get it ironed out. It's less than a year old game and it's just sits there out of commission, looking all ghetto without decals and not working waiting for a wire harness that I have no idea IF and WHEN it will show up. Not exactly the experience I wanted with buying my first new in box pin. Frustrating to say the least.

#107 3 years ago
Quoted from RefugeNate:

Just an update on my Met Pro debacle. I sent my playfield in and received my replacement. Upon installing the new playfield I noticed I was missing the wire harness that connects to the transformer. So I contacted my distributor and they said they emailed Stern. This was over two weeks ago and I am still waiting for an answer. My game has been down for over a month because of the playfield issue and now I can't put everything back together because I am missing a wire harness. My head decals are completely off (peeled off after one month of owning the game) and I have new ones yet to be installed (which is intimidating). I am happy that Stern has made things right so far but it seems to be one thing after another and at times can take awhile to get it ironed out. It's less than a year old game and it's just sits there out of commission, looking all ghetto without decals and not working waiting for a wire harness that I have no idea IF and WHEN it will show up. Not exactly the experience I wanted with buying my first new in box pin. Frustrating to say the least.

Who is your distributor? I would be all up in his grill to get that wire harness.

Cmon man, intimidating to slap some decals on the backbox? Just clean the backbox side surface real nice and spray a little windex on the back of the decals and have at it. Throw some pics up for us, you can do IT!

#108 3 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Cmon man, intimidating to slap some decals on the backbox? Just clean the backbox side surface real nice and spray a little windex on the back of the decals and have at it. Throw some pics up for us, you can do IT!

gotta agree...if you yanked and replaced that PF, head decals will be a walk in the park. I just did my BOP. Was as nervous as a whore in church....when I got it done, I had realized I had convinced myself it was harder than it was. Take your time, line things up and lay it down. A ton of videos on youtube. Even if you can just get your decals replaced while waiting for your harness will make you feel better about your machine.

#109 3 years ago

I decided to cover up the chipped area behind Sparky with an imitation Carbon fiber "Cliffy" I made from some left over 3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber vinyl wrap I had in my shop.

It looks pretty decent and seems to be holding up pretty well so far.

image_(resized).jpeg

3 weeks later
#110 3 years ago
Quoted from S3G:

Happy to report I received the same fast turn around time as ita47 did for my replacement playfield from Stern. It was delivered on Monday.

Wish I could say the same. My playfield has been at the Stern facility since the first week in March (its been 6 weeks). Just called and was told that production games are the priority, then they would do my PF.

2 weeks later
#111 3 years ago

Hello Fellow pinheads ,just noticed two chips on my Metallica playfield. The date on it is April 8 2015. Was there a recall type thing .
I didn't buy it from a dealer but it is HUO . and the head decals are falling off too. WTF

#112 3 years ago

Mine too April 7th build. Chipping around magnets and head decal peeling off. Contacted distributor and waiting for answer. Hopping things get corrected. Only 1626 plays HUO. I have no other issues with my other Sterns. This truly sucks.

#113 3 years ago

April 7th build date, 1626 plays, do you play pinball for a living???

#114 3 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

April 7th build date, 1626 plays, do you play pinball for a living???

#115 3 years ago
Quoted from trimoto:

I didn't buy it from a dealer but it is HUO

It's difficult dealing with Stern directly trying to get a playfield replaced. I did it, but it took months. From start to finish it was 5 months to get my warped playfield replaced. I documented the process for posterity here on pinside. If I had to do it over, I would go through my distributor.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/met-playfield-twisted

Someone posted pictures where the playfield on their MET sunk in around the Sparky magnet. It looked pretty bad and they said Stern wouldn't replace it.

Rob

#116 3 years ago

It seems like there was a week or two in April '15 where the playfields and the backbox decals where defective. Contact your distributor and they should be able have Stern send you a new populated playfield and new decals. It took a while but Stern eventually made it right. Stern will send you a box to ship your old playfield, once they receive it, they will ship the new one to you. Kind of a pain having to remove the playfield and send it back but glad they made it right.

image_(resized).jpeg

1 month later
#117 3 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

My head decals are also peeling off

I received my MET backbox replacement decals but they have a border on it with square corners so they obviously have not been trimmed. They don't even fit with being trimmed first. The old decals are rounded at the corners and don't have any border line. Did you have to trim any off the new decals to make them fit? If so, how did you trim them to look factory rather than a bad cut job with scissors?

#118 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi: Are we really supposed to preface every opinion with "in my opinion...?"

Only one dude seems to insist on doing that.

1 year later
#119 1 year ago

If a guy bought one used and it was out of warranty, would Stern still replace the playfield if it started to chip? The game I am looking at is April 14, 2015 build date. Playfield looks fine with no chipping apparent but the decals have fallen/are falling off.

#120 1 year ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

If a guy bought one used and it was out of warranty, would Stern still replace the playfield if it started to chip? The game I am looking at is April 14, 2015 build date. Playfield looks fine with no chipping apparent but the decals have fallen/are falling off.

Any ideas on number of plays?

Mine had under 100, looked great. Once I started hosting pinball league this fall, went over 250 and boom the paint was chipping around the magnet. Before that I had clear chipping at the shooter lane and drain. Honestly unless you got a super deal I’d skip it or See if the current owners distributor can cover it for you.

#121 1 year ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Any ideas on number of plays?
Mine had under 100, looked great. Once I started hosting pinball league this fall, went over 250 and boom the paint was chipping around the magnet. Before that I had clear chipping at the shooter lane and drain. Honestly unless you got a super deal I’d skip it or See if the current owners distributor can cover it for you.

Are you the original owner? Is there a time limit to how long Stern will honor a fix for this defect? What would you consider a super deal?

#122 1 year ago

Most likely if it hasnt chipped yet then u will be fine. Im guessing a game that old has at least few hundred plays but probably more?

#123 1 year ago

I bought mine second hand and it had April 14 2015 build date. Had less than 100 plays and decals where peeling off the head. A couple weeks after I got it home and put another 100 plays on it the playfield started chipping everywhere. I have no doubt the original owner new that build date was defective because I got it cheap. So I just played the crap out of it for last 2 years. Called stern a month ago and they sent me new head decals and a new populated playfield. Got everything installed Friday and I basically have a brand new game. My old playfield was wrecked. I would stay away from April 2015 build date unless you know 100% stern will warranty it or you get it super cheap. Stern took care of me but who knows, every case might be different.

#124 1 year ago
Quoted from woody76:

I bought mine second hand and it had April 14 2015 build date. Had less than 100 plays and decals where peeling off the head. A couple weeks after I got it home and put another 100 plays on it the playfield started chipping everywhere. I have no doubt the original owner new that build date was defective because I got it cheap. So I just played the crap out of it for last 2 years. Called stern a month ago and they sent me new head decals and a new populated playfield. Got everything installed Friday and I basically have a brand new game. My old playfield was wrecked. I would stay away from April 2015 build date unless you know 100% stern will warranty it or you get it super cheap. Stern took care of me but who knows, every case might be different.

I called STERN and talked to Chas . I asked for a person or department to verbally talk to about the issues with my playfield . Chas told me to take photos and email them to parts.service@sternpinball.com . I told Chas I have been buying STERN LE and STERN pinballs for 17 years and I wanted to talk to someone in the decision making process . I had no luck with Chas getting a name . Who did you speak with please ? Name of person and there email . Send me a PM if you do not want to disclose info public . Thank you.

#125 1 year ago

Are you the original owner? Is there a time limit to how long Stern will honor a fix for this defect? What would you consider a super deal?

I am original owner. I worked with my distributor to get the issue fixed. There is only a 1yr warranty? I think, but this was a pretty big issue and I had such low plays.

Well a new pf is ~800. Isn’t met still on the line? At the prices people are asking for it, it may be worth looking new?

#126 1 year ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

I called STERN and talked to Chas . I asked for a person or department to verbally talk to about the issues with my playfield . Chas told me to take photos and email them to parts.service@sternpinball.com . I told Chas I have been buying STERN LE and STERN pinballs for 17 years and I wanted to talk to someone in the decision making process . I had no luck with Chas getting a name . Who did you speak with please ? Name of person and there email . Send me a PM if you do not want to disclose info public . Thank you.

Hi Rob

I actually did exactly what you did (sent pics to email) and then followed up with stern by phone a week later. They never did let me talk to a decision maker but the process was very smooth and I am happy. I will say this, my playfield was a wreck. 3 inch radius around magnet was gone and chipped away, shooter lane was bad and exiting shooter lane had a quarter size chip missing. They probably fix major issues first.

#127 1 year ago

Mine was an April 2015 build and fell apart in the same areas. It took till 2017 to get my playfield. I just kept proper pics to show damage in all its states. It was a long battle, but I'm glad they finally made it right.

#128 1 year ago
Quoted from woody76:

Have thousands of plays on my april 2015 ..... no issues and its a beautiful playfield. Guess its hit or miss.

#129 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Have thousands of plays on my april 2015 ..... no issues and its a beautiful playfield. Guess its hit or miss.

Yea, I think it depends on who did the playfield. If your playfield has the layers in the shooter lane your good. My shooter lane had no wood grain layers and chipped horribly. Stern hooked me up with a beautiful new playfield. I have already put about 50 plays on it and it does not even have any dimples yet.

#130 1 year ago
Quoted from woody76:

Yea, I think it depends on who did the playfield. If your playfield has the layers in the shooter lane your good. My shooter lane had no wood grain layers and chipped horribly. Stern hooked me up with a beautiful new playfield. I have already put about 50 plays on it and it does not even have any dimples yet.

Ill have to check it out and see about the grain

#131 1 year ago
Quoted from woody76:

If your playfield has the layers in the shooter lane your good. My shooter lane had no wood grain layers and chipped horribly.

Are these the wood grain layers you are referring to?

D44BDF4D-9B04-494B-B777-904A3029D6F0 (resized).jpeg

#132 1 year ago

The type of wood grain does not matter in regards to chipping or not, it's just maple of birch. Please see the post below from Vid, great info.

pinball playfield wood (resized).JPG

#133 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The type of wood grain does not matter in regards to chipping or not, it's just maple of birch. Please see the post below from Vid, great info.

Bad wording on my part, I think vid had told me that he could tell by the grain in the shooter lane who produced the bad playfield. The playfield with heavier grain in the shooter lane seemed to be on the good run.

#134 1 year ago
Quoted from woody76:

Here's mine....20171203_200057 (resized).jpg

#135 1 year ago

Mmm I may be able to find my pics of my shooter I sent to my distributor.. I’ll post

#136 1 year ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Mine was an April 2015 build and fell apart in the same areas. It took till 2017 to get my playfield. I just kept proper pics to show damage in all its states. It was a long battle, but I'm glad they finally made it right.

It took over a year for these a-hole decision makers at Stern to make this right?

Oh, I almost forgot. The playfield on my Met Premium is darn close to perfect. What in god's name that has to do with this thread? I have no idea.

#137 1 year ago

I haven’t had time to pull my laptop but my drain clear cracked in under 50 games. Both decals on the head pealed as well.

333CA520-68BF-4559-9EB6-ADE9C7E06F06 (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Harrisburg, PA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
4,575 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Loveland, CO
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 137 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside