IMG_20160305_180325_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_8586_(resized).JPG
MetPremRtsling_(resized).jpg
Mysteryholesplitting_(resized).jpg
Mysteryholeunderplayfield_(resized).jpg
IMG_0476_(resized).JPG
There are 137 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 8 years ago

I know this topic has probably been discussed before but can someone let me know if this happened to you and what Stern did for you? I think it's unbelievable that you buy a new game and less than a year and home use only play the playfield starts chipping and flaking. I even put Mylar around the magnet just to help protect the playfield. I don't think the magnet is the cause. This is the second issue I have had. My head decals peeled off and they sent me new decals. My twenty year old B/W games don't have this problem! I ordered my Metallica in April '15.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#2 8 years ago

Did you ever put the metal magnet protectors on this game?

When they curl, they could cause damage like this.

#3 8 years ago

No just the circle Mylar around the magnet. Even the chip below the magnet isn't really touching the magnet or caused by any Mylar peeling up.

#4 8 years ago

This is why I bought the extended sparky plastic for the airballs and mylared a large area around that magnet. Still it sldnt happen tho.

#5 8 years ago

There was a bad batch of play fields also . When was your made?

#6 8 years ago

There was a batch of faulty playfields around that time of early 2015 from memory, What's the build date on the pin?

#7 8 years ago

Bigd beat me by 35 seconds,

#8 8 years ago

The sticker on the back says April 8, 2015. If it is a bad batch what does Stern do?

#9 8 years ago

I hope it works out for you. Hard to tell from pic, but is magnet core to high? That could cause it to.

#10 8 years ago

Mine did the same thing. Stern sent me an empty box and I pulled the PF (populated) and shipped it to them and they shipped me a new PF.

met_(resized).jpgmet_(resized).jpg

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

I hope it works out for you. Hard to tell from pic, but is magnet core to high? That could cause it to.

Nope. Defect in a batch of playfields

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from RefugeNate:

The sticker on the back says April 8, 2015. If it is a bad batch what does Stern do?

I believe that is in the time period of the bad batch if im not mistaken

#13 8 years ago

Yeah magnet is level, no issues there. Thanks for the info Chrizg, that's what I was wanting to know. I hope they will accommodate mine as well. I would assume they should know what runs where defective. My back box decals were from a defective batch and they curled up like crazy until they fell off.

#14 8 years ago

My head decals are also peeling off

#15 8 years ago

Chrizg, when was yours manufactured?

#16 8 years ago

Oh man, that sucks and I agree is completely ridiculous to be happening on a new game. Stern should do the same thing they did for Chrizg and send a new populated playfield. How many plays do you estimate you had on your game by the time you noticed damage around the sparky magnet?

My MET Pro LED build date is April 15th and hasn't had any issues in that area yet. I did put the extended sparky protector and a large piece of mylar around the magnet. I'm not sure if my game has a bad playfield or not. No head / cabinet decal peeling at this point.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from RefugeNate:

Chrizg, when was yours manufactured?

Interested in knowing as well. Did Stern ever say what are the manufacturing dates of games that used a playfield from the bad batch?

#18 8 years ago

Not sure as it is on route. It was purchased around April or May so probably around April

#19 8 years ago

PanzerFreak, I would probably say around 250 or so plays. I just noticed it this weekend while I was playing with some friends. I noticed it on the top of the magnet first and then shortly after playing a few more I saw that below the magnet had a chip. I found the playfield chips laying around the playfield. I was so upset!!! There is no way a new game should be doing this! I do have the bigger sparky protector on as well.

#20 8 years ago

Flakes.

#21 8 years ago

Yeah that's BS for that to be happening, especially considering the lower number of plays on your game. Stern should make things right and ship you a new populated playfield out at no cost.

#22 8 years ago

I'll contact my distributor I got it through and let you guys know the outcome.

#23 8 years ago

My brother's machine is doing the same thing. He contacted his distributor and Stern is replacing the playfield.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

My brother's machine is doing the same thing. He contacted his distributor and Stern is replacing the playfield.

When did your brother get his machine? Any decal peeling as well?

#25 8 years ago

I'm so glad I opted for the wooden backbox original version. Bought in June 15 but build date was 2013.

That sux sorry to hear. Hope stern does you right

#26 8 years ago

I had the same issue, looked just like that. They had me send back the entire game and sent me another one, so I don't know what the build date was, but it was I got it in the spring. I heard that it could be have been because they were made when they were changing factories and they didn't cure for the proper time. My new one hasn't had a problem at all.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from MrDucks:

I had the same issue, looked just like that. They had me send back the entire game and sent me another one, so I don't know what the build date was, but it was I got it in the spring. I heard that it could be have been because they were made when they were changing factories and they didn't cure for the proper time. My new one hasn't had a problem at all.

How many plays do you think your original MET had on it before the issue occurred?

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

How many plays do you think your original MET had on it before the issue occurred?

Had it for probably 2 month, close to 1000 plays I bet. I played it a lot.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

When did your brother get his machine? Any decal peeling as well?

April I think. It was after TPF I know that. I am not sure about the head decals, but I haven't looked that closely at the head lately. I will look next time I am at our location.

#30 8 years ago

Mine has a chip right above the magnet. Got it NIB and within a few months of HUO I got the chip (got it the end of summer or so [LED]).

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from RefugeNate:

I'll contact my distributor I got it though and let you guys know the outcome.

Just make sure you get the same deal - you want to hold out for an exchange of a fully populated playfield, otherwise you're out 40+ hours of work stripping and reassembling.

#32 8 years ago

My build date is April 15th. Does anyone know which build dates were affected?

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from ScrewMan:

My build date is April 15th. Does anyone know which build dates were affected?

I have the exact same build date as yours. No issues on my game yet. I probably played a good 100 games on it before I put the extended sparky plastic protector and a large piece of mylar around the magnet. How many plays is on your game?

#34 8 years ago

Yeah my build date was April 16th 2015 and I do not have any issues with the playfield chipping or decals coming off. Granted I probably have less than 500 plays on this game but I'm still concerned as this is right around that April manufacture of bad stuff happening. I sure hope Stern takes care of you on this and I hope this doesn't happen to me.

#35 8 years ago

Mine chipped as well. I took the populated PF to Stern and they gave me a replacement. They were pretty good about the whole thing.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Mine chipped as well. I took the populated PF to Stern and they gave me a replacement. They were pretty good about the whole thing.

What was your build date?

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I have the exact same build date as yours. No issues on my game yet. I probably played a good 100 games on it before I put the extended sparky plastic protector and a large piece of mylar around the magnet. How many plays is on your game?

I have the extended sparky protector as well. I also have Cliffy's carbon fiber magnet protectors on. I don't know the exact number but I guestimate 500 or more plays. I have had the machine since early December. It's my first and only machine and me and the family play it daily.

#38 8 years ago

Mine did the same exact thing. I'm pretty sure it's April 2015 build date. Stern sent me a new populated pf without any problem. Excellent service! The new pf is the best I've seen from Stern.

#39 8 years ago

These kinds of threads is the reason why I never purchased a NIB Stern. I really want a newer Stern in my lineup but I'm just not willing to take the chance. I guess my loss in the long run. I hope everthing gets worked out with your playfields.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyd044:

These kinds of threads is the reason why I never purchased a NIB Stern. I really want a newer Stern in my lineup but I'm just not willing to take the chance. I guess my loss in the long run. I hope everthing gets worked out with your playfields.

I have had several NIB Stern games and very few problems with any of them, I just opened a NIB TWDLE and it was perfect.. Zero issues! Last note, Stern often warranty's things after the warranty has expired.

#41 8 years ago

I messaged Stern on Facebook about the issue in regards to what manufacturing dates were affected. I was told a rather generic response to "please contact your authorized stern pinball retailer for information regarding warranty claims if necessary". Wow...I'm glad Stern is sending out fully populated playfields but considering the price of these games some more information about the issue would be nice.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyd044:

I'm amazed you can gather up the courage to walk across a street, do you know how many people get hit by cars?

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyd044:

Don't let this issue prevent you from buying a new Stern. This problem is a one off, same with the decal peeling issue. Both have been resolved for a while now. The good thing is that Stern is sending fully populated playfields out to customers with the issue.

So it appears that maybe only early April build dates were affected? Seems like some people with games built the week of April 5th are reporting issues but not those from the week of April 12th? I suppose a different set of playfields could have been used the week of the 12th considering how many games Stern can build a day.

#44 8 years ago

What could cause this, I mean what is different about this run of playfields compared to older runs?

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

What could cause this, I mean what is different about this run of playfields compared to older runs?

Sounds like some playfields were not given enough time to cure. My own opinion is that Stern was trying to rush some games out when they were switching factories and maybe even cut some corners as that is when a lot of games were having decal peeling issues. Not an excuse and should never happen considering the price of these games.

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Sounds like some playfields were not given enough time to cure. My own opinion is that Stern was trying to rush some games out when they were switching factories and maybe even cut some corners as that is when a lot of games were having decal peeling issues. Not an excuse and should never happen considering the price of these games.

I think it is more the ink curing on the wood rather than the clear coat curing.

#47 8 years ago

So either way it sounds like the problem is due to the playfields being rushed?

#48 8 years ago

It just seems odd that it occurred right during their transition to a new factory. I never heard of Stern having this problem before or after the move.

If the problem was ink curing in the wood that sounds like the problem is on the playfield manufacturer.

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

So either way it sounds like the problem is due to the playfields being rushed?

I thought Stern didn't make their own playfields. They outsource it just like B/W did.

As for not buying new sterns they have multiple issues. Look at the GOT node board issue. The peeling decals. If I were buying a new titled I'd wait a few months and buy a huo one with no issues.

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

I thought Stern didn't make their own playfields. They outsource it just like B/W did.
As for not buying new sterns they have multiple issues. Look at the GOT node board issue. The peeling decals. If I were buying a new titled I'd wait a few months and buy a huo one with no issues.

Yup, if you can wait its usually a good idea to buy a game from a later run rather then the first. The ACDC premium / LE cloudy lower playfield issue on early games comes to mind. These runs of Metallica Pro's are from a later run so it's odd and frustrating that issues occurred on some of them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 25.50
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 149.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

7,600 (OBO)
There are 137 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/met-pro-playfield-chipping and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.