“Which Pro Pin...”

• TWD Pro 35 votes
    32%
  • MET Pro 69 votes
    64%
  • Other Stern Pro 4 votes
    4%

(108 votes)

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

So I'm pretty set on buying a WOZ. They are still out there NIB to buy, I'll probably get a standard, I'd buy a used one buy none ever pop up for sale near me so NIB it is. The WOZ will satisfy my wife and get her into pinball, so our 2nd pin will be more to satisfy me (I still want the wife and kids to enjoy it though.) My wife has stated she hates the artwork on TWD (ugly walkers, I get it.) I played Metallica Pro once and wife/kids enjoyed it. Haven't played TWD yet. I briefly considered GOT Pro but we haven't played it, kids liked the premium we played, I didn't care for it. We are a 2 pin house max, we have exactly 2 spots for pinball machines. We have owned 2 pins in the past, one older one that I got tired of working on so I sold it. I'm only looking to buy newer pins, I am more of a player than someone that enjoys working on them. We owned a Star Trek Pro and got tired of it and sold it, just couldn't get into the rules on it, seemed kind of linear and repetitive in the rules. What do you guys think, TWD or MET? Can't afford a premium for the 2nd pin. I'm a little concerned I'm going to miss out on a lot with TWD if I go with the Pro. I'd consider other NIB pins possibly, thought about Mustang too.

#2 4 years ago

I prefer the Walking Dead. For me it comes down to artwork. I'm not a fan of the cartoons on the backglass. Game play on both is deep and interesting with fun shots.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I prefer the Walking Dead. For me it comes down to artwork. I'm not a fan of the cartoons on the backglass. Game play on both is deep and interesting with fun shots.

So you are saying MET looks too cartoonish? I do like the MET playfield, backglass art isn't my favorite though. I agree it does look a little bit cartoonish.

#4 4 years ago

I want to add that I do like TWD overall look to the pin, artwork/lights etc. over MET. But I don't want to buy just based on looks. I bought Star Trek Pro because I am a huge trekkie and I thought the pin looked amazing (still think its one of the best looking pins out there.) But I got bored with the ruleset and the looks/theme were not enough for me to keep it.

#5 4 years ago

Have you watched gameplay videos of both? That might help you decide if the game will get boring to you.

#6 4 years ago

Have you watched gameplay videos of both? That might help you decide if the game will get boring to you.

Yes, watched a ton of videos. We also played MET Pro before. Haven't had an opportunity to play TWD.

#7 4 years ago

I have played both and honestly don't think you can go wrong with either TWD or MET, but they have a different feel to them, in my opinion MET feels like a more open playfield with longer shots, difficult and prone to quick games (but very rewarding). TWD is more in your face and but has lots of fun shots and depending upon setup can be more frustrating due to strait down the middle drains that seem beyond player control. I like the artwork on both but its really about game play for me.

#8 4 years ago

MET and TWD are excellent Pros (I own them both), and you won't be disappointed with either. I give TWD a bit of an edge because I like the whole package a bit more (layout, rules, strategy, sounds, looks, and overall awesomeness). TWD is punishing an may wind up frustrating you and your whole family. MET has the Sparky multiball which players of all levels can achieve. MET also has a great ruleset and the Crank It Ups are awesome.

Good luck in your decision

#9 4 years ago

^^^...This...!!!..........Joey

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from BigBangBack:

MET and TWD are excellent Pros (I own them both), and you won't be disappointed with either. I give TWD a bit of an edge because I like the whole package a bit more (layout, rules, strategy, sounds, looks, and overall awesomeness). TWD is punishing an may wind up frustrating you and your whole family. MET has the Sparky multiball which players of all levels can achieve. MET also has a great ruleset and the Crank It Ups are awesome.
Good luck in your decision

Thanks. Do you feel your missing out a lot with TWD Pro instead of Premium? This is my last post for another hour, I reached my newbie limit of 5 posts per hour max!

#11 4 years ago

At Pro level I'd go with MET. TWD if it were premium (too many things missing on the pro for me). I've owned MET for about 10 months now and it still hasn't gotten boring for me or any of my friends. TWD I haven't had as long, but it keeps getting better--it's harder to fully understand than MET, so not nearly as friendly for guests that won't be able to play much of it, or have no interest "learning" a pin.

#12 4 years ago

That's funny, I would've thought people would say the art on TWD is lacking compared to Metallica. At least that's my opinion. To each their own..

#13 4 years ago

Star Trek doesn't do a good job of communicating the rules other than "Shoot the blinking shot". There actually is logic as to what is happening, but if you don't get in that deep, it can get boring as you said.

Both MET and TWD are great games, so it is really the differences that separate them. I prefer the Pro for both of these, so that isn't an issue.

MET has wonderful rules as you learn them. You have the standard "hit this to start it and then hit it for jackpots" kind of thing. However that is only one dimension of the game. All of your multiballs come from those kind of things. But then you have the objective of Crank It Up (CIU). CIU qualifies by hitting a bunch of "something" (coffins, snakes, grave markers, sparky). The first time 15 of each lights CIU, which lights at the scoop. That is a single ball mode with a really cool way to cash out....

All that means that MET is good, because after you learn it, you can play it a bunch of different ways. Plus it has the fun of cashing out CIU, or letting it ride and cash it out bigger (or lose the ball). Good stuff.

TWD also has good rules, and great upper modes. But the thing with TWD is it is brutal, so you can have game after game of crap. It can be frustrating and angering just to do anything on the game... and that fits the theme in my opinion. You are trying to survive the zombie apocalypse, and that shouldn't be easy. So game after game of dog poop and cheap drains SDTM or from the pops. I'll say it, it is dog shit. But then something happens. You are hyped up, and all of a sudden you pull a great game out of your butt. And it all gels into an experience that is amazing. And then your resolve weakens and you flail a single shot, and you want to flip the machine over in anger. All that sounds bad, but it is awesome. Plus TWD has absolutely the best tilt warning sound in all of pinball... and you will hear it a LOT trying to prevent those cheap drains. Horde is a fantastic mode if you get there. I've never seen Last Man Standing, and I'm not sure I could with the glass on.

So both are great games. It just comes down to the type of game you like. MET is good fun. TWD is brutal (everyone else will hate it), but rewarding with great high notes. Take your pick.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

That's funny, I would've thought people would say the art on TWD is lacking compared to Metallica. At least that's my opinion. To each their own..

Agreed.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

TWD also has good rules, and great upper modes. But the thing with TWD is it is brutal, so you can have game after game of crap. It can be frustrating and angering just to do anything on the game... and that fits the theme in my opinion. You are trying to survive the zombie apocalypse, and that shouldn't be easy. So game after game of dog poop and cheap drains SDTM or from the pops. I'll say it, it is dog shit. But then something happens. You are hyped up, and all of a sudden you pull a great game out of your butt. And it all gels into an experience that is amazing. And then your resolve weakens and you flail a single shot, and you want to flip the machine over in anger. All that sounds bad, but it is awesome. Plus TWD has absolutely the best tilt warning sound in all of pinball... and you will hear it a LOT trying to prevent those cheap drains. Horde is a fantastic mode if you get there. I've never seen Last Man Standing, and I'm not sure I could with the glass on..

Well said! I sold my TWD but MET is not going anywhere anytime soon.

#16 4 years ago

My two favorite Sterns and I have them both side by side. You can't go wrong with either one, but I think TWD has the slight edge. Metallica is more of a "make a plan and stick to it" game for me while TWD is more fluid in its decision making and rewards being able to adapt to different situations.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

So I'm pretty set on buying a WOZ. They are still out there NIB to buy, I'll probably get a standard, I'd buy a used one buy none ever pop up for sale near me so NIB it is. The WOZ will satisfy my wife and get her into pinball, so our 2nd pin will be more to satisfy me (I still want the wife and kids to enjoy it though.) My wife has stated she hates the artwork on TWD (ugly walkers, I get it.) I played Metallica Pro once and wife/kids enjoyed it. Haven't played TWD yet. I briefly considered GOT Pro but we haven't played it, kids liked the premium we played, I didn't care for it. We are a 2 pin house max, we have exactly 2 spots for pinball machines. We have owned 2 pins in the past, one older one that I got tired of working on so I sold it. I'm only looking to buy newer pins, I am more of a player than someone that enjoys working on them. We owned a Star Trek Pro and got tired of it and sold it, just couldn't get into the rules on it, seemed kind of linear and repetitive in the rules. What do you guys think, TWD or MET? Can't afford a premium for the 2nd pin. I'm a little concerned I'm going to miss out on a lot with TWD if I go with the Pro. I'd consider other NIB pins possibly, thought about Mustang too.

Metallica is the more friendlier playing pin of the two so you may want to go that route. But its ruleset gets stale pretty quick, at least for me, very repetitive - more so than ST in my opinion.

TWD is one hell of a tough machine. The pro is actually more friendlier than the premium despite not having walker bombs which makes it a good choice for you. It has such a great depth and breadth to the ruleset that its a much longer term keeper than metallica in my opinion.

So while metallica may be the more friendlier pin on the surface, the TWD is the better pin for long term last ability.

#18 4 years ago

So would everyone agree that the code is deeper on TWD over MET? How about the flipper gap, is it the same as Ghostbusters?

#19 4 years ago

So would everyone agree that the code is deeper on TWD over MET? How about the flipper gap, is it the same as Ghostbusters?

Yes, code is deeper, wider, better on TWD. Flipper gap is not the same as GB.

#20 4 years ago

I voted Met but have Mustang and I think it's a blast. When I got back from vacation about 8 days first pin I played Mustang.

#21 4 years ago

I prefer TWD as that playfield layout is fun. Plus the theme is more unique, instead of one of many rock band games out there. However the inline drops on MET are my favorite

Call it a draw...both are great games

#22 4 years ago

So you are saying MET looks too cartoonish? I do like the MET playfield, backglass art isn't my favorite though. I agree it does look a little bit cartoonish.

I'm a big Metallica fan... But the back glass artwork in my opinion is awful. Just don't like the artists style. Can handle it in small doses on the playfield, but the big back glass will give me night terrors.

#23 4 years ago

I have a ST pro and TWD pro. If you had a hard time picking up the ST rules I think you'll have an even harder time with TWD (I still have not figured it out after a couple of months!). You see TWD described as "intense" or "brutal", and I think that's fairly accurate... I usually need to calm down after a couple of games by popping over to the ST! Also with TWD, if you don't put a lot of body english into it you're going to have a lot of lost balls-- don't know if that will work for your wife and kid (I have mine set to 3 tilt warnings per ball...)

Honestly I've not decided if I'll be hanging on to TWD as long as I've hung on to my ST... Sometimes you just want to play and mellow out, and TWD is not good for that. It's a great game for what it is, though.

So... can't say anything about MET, but hopefully the thoughts on TWD help!

#24 4 years ago

Both good ones...personally I like MET better but they are both good.

#25 4 years ago

That's a tuff one. They both hold there own. I own both but always find myself playing met more.

#27 4 years ago

Buy one for a year and switch out to the other title. Neither will lose much money as time goes on.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Buy one for a year and switch out to the other title. Neither will lose much money as time goes on.

Yea, my kid was talking about Transformers. I told him the value wouldn't hold up as much as MET or TWD if we wanted to trade it or sell it after a year or so. I'm wondering the same about Mustang? I think MET Pro will hold its value best since ranked #8.

#29 4 years ago

Value be damned, brotha. The real value is in game play ... A game you enjoy is worth way more than an expensive paper weight!

#30 4 years ago

Met is friendlier for not great players. Twd is hard, almost stupid hard. There are tricks to making it a bit easier but that would be for another thread.
This is all irrelevant though!
Your wife is pushing for the buy and does not like the art on Twd so get met! They are both awesome games (mine are next to each other). I suggest you keep what sounds like a super lady engaged in pinball and get the met. Imo met needs an external powered sub FYI, cheap and ez mod.

#31 4 years ago

Transformers probably won't devalue a ton, if it does at all. Used games have been holding their value more consistently than anything you buy nib.

#32 4 years ago

Both great games, Met by far if family will be playing a lot. TWD is quite a bit tougher, IMHO

#33 4 years ago

Both pros are great and there's no bad choice here. Personally, TWD relies a lot on the "difficult to hit" drop targets (above the left sling) to get big scores. Otherwise, the rest of the shot making is great.
I've had a chance to play both pins a lot.. And Met is just so much more fun. Bought a pro very recently and the whole family loves it. Easily the best pin in my collection.

#34 4 years ago

I typically do not comment when people are asking for advice on which game. The simple answer is you should play both and decide what is right for you.

WOZ is eye candy for sure. It came out the same time as Metallica and I saw Metallica and WOZ side by side. The artwork on Metallica did not appeal to me at first......looked like a comic book threw up on it but the game play sold me.....My 2 girls wanted WOZ....I went with Met premium and doubt I will ever sell it. The Pro is excellent too.

TWD.......My first impression was I was just not impressed. I am a big fan of the show but just didn't dig the pin.........but I have had more time to play it and am starting to get into it. Will probably pick up one eventually.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Both great games, Met by far if family will be playing a lot. TWD is quite a bit tougher, IMHO

Yes, thats why I give TWD my vote, playtimes started to become too long with my Met Pre, great but a little easy and I'm very theme orientated, Met hurt me with the Black album and beyond just couldn't get past that but still 2 amazing games. GOT pro really impressed me, gameplay is very good and the theme works well, tough to compare it fully as code is still in the works but I think she's a contender.

#36 4 years ago

Yea, my kid was talking about Transformers. I told him the value wouldn't hold up as much as MET or TWD if we wanted to trade it or sell it after a year or so. I'm wondering the same about Mustang? I think MET Pro will hold its value best since ranked #8.

A HUO TFLE will hold its value better then a NIB Met or TWD if you buy it right. Mustang also. They have taken their big depreciation hit already. There have been some good games for sale at slight discounts due to the GB factor. If you do not plan on getting GB, like myself, theen take advantage of this opportunity.

#37 4 years ago

If you and your family arent't above-average players, I recommend Met. TWD is very drainy and punishing and intense. Met is all-around fun.

#38 4 years ago

Although I had to warm to both, I have loved playing MET and TWD since their rule sets have matured. Can't comment on the Pro versions specifically though.

I also LOVE playing Mustang and if I was looking for a great Stern game for general family use (no Metallica music/graphics or wife upsetting zombies) out of the three, I would go with this. A really FUN and often overlooked game!

If the choice was down to Met or TWD only, I'd personally probably go with MET (in a close decision) due to TWD's already mentioned frustrating drains and overall degree of difficulty.

#39 4 years ago

I'd be able to give you a better answer if I could see your collection.

of course, the only proper hoarding answer is... BOTH!

#40 4 years ago

Agree with Tuna about Mustang.

I just got a TWD prem... Awesome game... Agree with others, though, you need some fairly good skill to handle the game... If not, it's drain city and flailing shots won't get you too far.

#41 4 years ago

Choice between the Pros I'd go with Metallica.

I'd probably rather have a Walking Dead Premium though.

#42 4 years ago

TWD is a better game , but not the PRO. MET pro wins.

#43 4 years ago

Metallica is easier to get things going for newbie players... TWD can be unsatisfying to newbie players because of its brutality and just difficulty in getting to the more fun things the game offers.

Both are great games, but I think you need to steer your buying decisions based on what you and your family look to get out of games.

#44 4 years ago

I also thought about just waiting and seeing what the next music pin shapes up to be, might be a long wait until this fall or early next year?

#45 4 years ago

I also thought about just waiting and seeing what the next music pin shapes up to be, might be a long wait until this fall or early next year?

So what have they been doing...4 new a year lately? Fall sounds right for the next one, if it's music I don't know. Still unclewar if this Aerosmith is real or just throwing us off track

#46 4 years ago

You can always wait for the next maybe, or buy one you like now, play it, and sell it when you get tired of it.

It's not likely to lose much value in a year or two.

#47 4 years ago

TWD gets my vote hands down.

#48 4 years ago

Yup, twd is much better playing and more fun.

#49 4 years ago

Looks like it'll be met pro. Thanks for the advice!

#50 4 years ago

Put $10 into each and then make your own damn decision!

Would you marry a woman with flipping her buttons first?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Lighting - Led
3D MODS
$ 199.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Levittown, NY
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside