Linked Games

Topic poll

“MET Premium or Williams IJ”

• MET Premium 120 votes
    61%
  • Williams Indiana Jones 77 votes
    39%

(197 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Which would you choose? Indy is nice as it can be with some tasteful mods, new cab and decals etc. MET is NIB.

#2 8 years ago

I'd go met premium. A 20 year old game would just feel dated compared to a new premium stern with great lighting/sound/rules.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from bdaley6509:

Which would you choose? Indy is nice as it can be with some tasteful mods, new cab and decals etc. MET is NIB.

I would rather have NIB Premium than paying similar price for a 20 year old game.

Rob

#4 8 years ago

WMS made better pins all the way around.

#5 8 years ago

MET! its one of the best games ever built IMHO

#6 8 years ago

We got our first NIB game 3 weeks ago. Met Premium. We have been playing it non stop the whole time we have had it and absolutely love it

#7 8 years ago

I have both sitting side by side, and the METLE is going nowhere. IJ on the other hand may be leaving soon......

#8 8 years ago

Perhaps I'm biased but Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure is one of the greatest games period....

Taken from a thread 7 months ago which I posted...

From the second you pop a credit in and hear that whip crack.. you immediately get submerged into the Indiana Jones theme... The John Williams score which plays throughout majority of the game play is one of the greatest scores of all time. Plunger ? no... you are Indiana Jones... and you pull the gun which looks rather similar to his Smith and Wesson. You get to manipulate the I-N-D-Y letters at the top of the playfield to get your friends, which leads to points and extra balls. The pop bumpers begin to click and pop while you punch the Nazi in the face on the DMD... Your adventure has only just begun.... Do you start to have a ramp party, go for the idol drop targets, locking and revealing multi ball (with a great animation sequence on the dmd running from the boulder)... Did you happen to get a narrow escape without a drain one of the most satisfying feelings ! Perhaps you are choosing wisely in a video mode, or shifting your mine cart safely to the end or purposely attempting to reveal the easter egg... Did you spell ADVENTURE yet ?? go for that ramp... You are now controlling the upper mini playfield ! Careful don't fall just yet... earn that extra ball !! .... Pop bumpers are now worth 1 million!! how convenient you just got asps 6-ball multi ball... but they are very dangerous so you go first... Did you go for the captured ball behind the idol ? ... Perhaps you made it to the "Fish of Tales"... You call this archeology ?... Listen I came here to save you... I can go on and on, and of all of the machines mentioned in this thread, Williams Indiana Jones is certainly a keeper... a holy grail if you will. I have a decent sized collection of vids & pins and truth be told it would be my last game to go."

#9 8 years ago

I voted for IJ if it was QC.

#10 8 years ago

I own both and they are two very cool pins. Very difficult to choose one over the other as I think they are both keepers. IJ is my favorite of the Williams/Ballys titles. It offers a great theme, fun and varied modes, solid rules, great multiballs and one of the best mini play fields (when properly levelled). I think condition for this title is paramount- with a properly cleared playfield, the ball flows beautifully on this pin. It also has has great lights & art and timeless music/call-outs.
IMO Stern's best pin is MET premium. I have given it a higher rating than IJ just due to the high adreniline rush this game provides. It has that perfect balance of interactive toys, awesome flow, deep rules and an amazing light show. I also think the art package on the Monsters (Dirty Donnie) edition is one of the best out there.
You can't go wrong with either of these titles; but if you must choose one... I'd go with the MET premium (and add an IJ later).

#11 8 years ago

MET is a great game, but will probably get stale before IJ would. And an IJ with a Pinsound card and the reorchestrations is heaven.

#12 8 years ago

Looking at your collection to determine what I would do, it shows you already have an IJ, as well as some other great classics. I'm guessing you want to step up in quality or already purchased the IJ, either way MET would probably be a nice new addition to your line-up. I love the classics but some of these new pins are pretty awesome too!

#13 8 years ago

Metallica gets my vote..

#14 8 years ago

Hard to go wrong here.....voted IJ just because that game just clicks with me personally more than MET does.

#15 8 years ago

IJ is the better overall pin

#16 8 years ago

I sold IJ and kept MET LE. Both great games though...

#17 8 years ago

MET in a landslide. IJ is a slow, awkward, lumbering machine but it does have a spectacular theme integration and awesome sound/music. Gameplay is a bore though.

#18 8 years ago

IJ is a cool game that I wouldn't mind owning for a while, or doing a temp swap for or something. My Metallica LE is bolted to the floor, it's one of my favorite games. For me it's no contest, as cool at IJ is.

#19 8 years ago

Look im a huge wpc fan /snob but I own a met pro led and its a amazing game and probably the best and one of the few sterns I will ever own .

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

And an IJ with a Pinsound card and the reorchestrations is heaven.

Hmm. It sounds like I'm late to the party; I heard about this, but didn't realize the chip is available. Do you know where I could purchase this awesome item? Thanks, Boob!

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

Hmm. It sounds like I'm late to the party; I heard about this, but didn't realize the chip is available. Do you know where I could purchase this awesome item? Thanks, Boob!

http://www.pinsound.org/

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

MET in a landslide. IJ is a slow, awkward, lumbering machine but it does have a spectacular theme integration and awesome sound/music. Gameplay is a bore though.

This +1. Also, MET has some of the best rules ever written for a pinball.

Most people here saying "IJ easy win". How so? Have you played metallica on a pinball level or simple said, "Metallica is a meh theme for me?"

Putting all nostalgia aside, MET destroys it in every way. Art, music, call outs, rules (by an absolutel landslide here).

#23 8 years ago

WMS Indiana Jones is the best Indiana Jones game. Metallica Premium isn't even the best version of Metallica

#24 8 years ago

I own a MET but IJ is kind of grailish to me.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

This +1. Also, MET has some of the best rules ever written for a pinball.
Most people here saying "IJ easy win". How so? Have you played Metallica on a pinball level or simple said, "Metallica is a meh theme for me?"
Putting all nostalgia aside, MET destroys it in every way. Art, music, call outs, rules (by an absolutel landslide here).

That's why this is a great hobby....different strokes. I've played a lot of MET....I like it, I just don't love it. I certainly could have purchased one instead of my recent IJ acquisition. I'm very happy with my decision.

My buddy 30 minutes away has a MET....hell I helped him take it out of the box. Play it everytime I go over there. Fun game, but I even like ST better than MET.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Most people here saying "IJ easy win". How so?

I wonder if anyone will ever truly understand opinions here. Dare to dream I guess.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I wonder if anyone will ever truly understand opinions here. Dare to dream I guess.

Metallica Premium is 8.485, IJ is 8.477 on Pinside ratings. The One True Rating System has spoken, IJ is a pile of slow garbage and Metallica Premium is the god of flow and rules.

#28 8 years ago

Met!

#29 8 years ago

I have never played IJ outside of a virtual oij cabinet, but to me, Metallica is just an all around great game. I have to have one, hence my own order while we still can.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I do understand them, but not when they are based on no information. A buddy of mine was over a few months ago. He was super excited to play medieval madness. Granted, one of the better/deeper coded williams games from the 90s. He is an above average player and gets on metallica. Couple hours later he was blown away with how metallica was compared to medieval (his personal grail). He commented how he hadn't liked the metallica he played on route, but thats because the sound was down, it didnt play smooth so he didnt get far on it.

It's just really hard to beat a game like metallica or star trek even once you get a full understanding of the rules and what to shoot for and are able to activate many items on the game.

I love IJ, game is great, but it just couldn't ever last as long here as a Metallica, ST, TWD

#31 8 years ago

I think it's funny how people are comparing these games and boasting how one blows the other out of the water for artwork, rules, or sound. I think they're both great and have their own incredible packages on all of those fronts. Really, you cant compare the two. IJ will never leave my collection, it's just one of the ultimate integrations of theme in a game with fantastic game play and rules. The call outs resonate with me and I love the original music in it. Throw in the color DMD, the genuinely fun video modes, and the very unique POA and you have one of the coolest games ever. I know I'll catch shit for this, but if you like hearing lame voice call outs then Metallica is a great pin for you. While some people boast the rules are deep, I find them extremely repetitive and not nearly as creative as TWD for instance. But, to each their own, both are great just uniquely different... And yes, I've played the crap out of Metallica (Pro and Premium models), love the band, and love hand drawn illustration style art in pinball.

#32 8 years ago

I like the new games.. But I think late 80s early 90s just resonate with me. Plus Mark Ritchie is my favorite designer so IJ is a no brainer.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

I do understand them, but not when they are based on no information.

So is it your opinion that only people who don't have serious playing time on MET would like IJ more?
That would be an opinion, a silly one, but you'd be entitled to it.

I'm a little confused.

EDIT: Ah...nevermind...the classic Pinside "you obviously just don't understand the game" routine. Always good when someone dusts off that old garbage.

Quoted from jrivelli:

It's just really hard to beat a game like Metallica or Star Trek even once you get a full understanding of the rules and what to shoot for and are able to activate many items on the game.

#34 8 years ago

You already have AFM which MET is a direct copy of . IJ is unique and it is fast and deep. Anyone who says IJ is klunky does not know how to set up a pin . MET is fun and deep but the music needs to be changed to a decent band which can be done. It is all about taste and i prefer original layouts like IJ and AFM.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from wolfy:

You already have AFM which MET is a direct copy of . IJ is unique and it is fast and deep. Anyone who says IJ is klunky does not know how to set up a pin . MET is fun and deep but the music needs to be changed to a decent band which can be done. It is all about taste and i prefer original layouts like IJ and AFM.

U crazy

#36 8 years ago

Have another drink.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from wolfy:

Have another drink.

Tell me more about how Metallica is a direct copy of AFM. I'll be sitting here waiting.

#38 8 years ago

I just sold my METLE to get a HEP IJ so that tells you my vote. IJ in CQ will always be harder to get.

#39 8 years ago

I have an IJ, but Metallica is a great game too....

For me it would just come down to theme..... which I lean IJ... no wrong answer here though, both great games.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

I just sold my METLE to get a HEP IJ so that tells you my vote. IJ in CQ will always be harder to get.

My respect for you just skyrocketed. Not that you give a shit. Hell, even I don't give a shit.

But you're awesome.

#41 8 years ago

Metallica is a direct copy of AFM?! I have had AFM for about 5 years and got Met about 3 weeks ago and that thought never entered my mind. Is it the snake that is exactly the same or more the hammer and ball thru the playfield gimmick?

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Metallica is a direct copy of AFM?! I have had AFM for about 5 years and got Met about 3 weeks ago and that thought never entered my mind. Is it the snake that is exactly the same or more the hammer and ball thru the playfield gimmick?

More teal on Met.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Definitely tougher to get in same condition.

Quoted from wolfy:

LOL! If I drop a ball in the pops on IJ I can go make myself a sandwich and eat it before it dribbles out the left side. That's a design issue, not a setup issue.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Pretty sure he means how Metallica stole AFM's inline drops.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

LOL! If I drop a ball in the pops on IJ I can go make myself a sandwich and eat it before it dribbles out the left side. That's a design issue, not a setup issue.

You're confused. That's The Hobbit. When the ball's in the pops on IJ, I'm usually changing the lit lanes up top as the ball bounces around so that I can collect characters and earn the extra ball. It's not boring at all. And my game is faster than hell. I really don't understand people that say that game is slow, and I can only think that either they really don't know how to set up a game, or they haven't yet discovered wax.

#46 8 years ago

My ij playfield is beat and it's still pretty darn quick. If you want less pop bumper action open up the leaf switches til they work like data beast games.

#47 8 years ago

Metallica by a mile IMHO

#48 8 years ago

I find it difficult to believe this is even a serious question, IJ is an all time classic, Metallica of any ilk is an average at best Stern, just do not see what anyone sees in it except for the artwork.

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

I find it difficult to believe this is even a serious question, IJ is an all time classic, Metallica of any ilk is an average at best Stern, just do not see what anyone sees in it except for the artwork.

I don't know about that bro, and it kind of hurts your credibility in this thread to say that. Metallica is one of if not Stern's best game ever. That being said, IJ is one of the best games of all time. Most of the people voting have probably never even played IJ. The rest don't have the means to buy a nice one so they get angry and vote for MET. Then there are those who have legitimately played both and voted for MET based on personal preference.

Both games are awesome and if anything compliment each other.

#50 8 years ago

You are all right sparky bash toy is not straight up the middle like the alien ship, The 2 ramps do not loop and come straight back to the corresponding flippers on each machine .The snake drop hole is not on the right near where the stroke of luck drop is. The loop is nothing alike and they are not even basic fan layouts. Neither has the same flow or feel. These games are as opposite as any 2 games have ever been.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 29.00
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

14,000 (OBO)
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

12,500 (OBO)
$ 1,419.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/met-premium-or-williams-ij and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.