obiGary.jpg
MikeMyersKanyeWest.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
20150813_011936.jpg
met.jpg
20150811_215527.jpg
20150810_151839.jpg
There are 295 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
#201 8 years ago

Wish you the best outcome possible!!

#202 8 years ago

What a joke. Stern didn't even test the playfield properly. More to come soon..

Rob

#204 8 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

What a joke. Stern didn't even test the playfield properly. More to come soon..
Rob

Wow cant wait to hear more

#205 8 years ago

Oh boy.

#206 8 years ago

Insert popcorn gif here

#207 8 years ago

Can you spot the problem here? Symptom: no colour changing inserts working.

20150811_215527.jpg20150811_215527.jpg

See the two connectors in the bottom right? They are NOT supposed to be joined by a Z connector. They belong connected to the board in the image. They are part of the color changing insert wiring.

Rob

#208 8 years ago

The snake switches don't work. Neither the jaw or the mouth (ball sense)... Are there supposed to be diodes on these switches? These never had to be touched because there are connectors for them.

The RJ11 cable is not the one that was original to the game. The one I got is too short and barely reaches back to the RJ11 connector on the cpu board.

Rob

#209 8 years ago

Those were the apparent problems right off the bat. We haven't played it yet because we had to spend a few hours putting it together and then troubleshooting the issues. We're well experienced techs so we can figure out what's wrong and fix it, but we shouldn't have to. I wanted to play the game tonight, not have to start pulling things like the snake apart to fix them. We fixed the color changing inserts, but not the snake (yet).

And I don't want to sound ungrateful to Stern, but this whole process should have been a lot less frustrating than it has been. Truth be told, I was almost expecting some things to be wrong with the playfield because it is A LOT of work to swap a playfield. I've done it before so I know firsthand. Whoever tested it maybe didn't know how some features of the game were supposed to operate, like the snake which does not currently work. But the non working playfield lamps is pretty hard to miss.....

Rob

#210 8 years ago

I am glad you guys figured it out after I bailed. Where the the z connector supposed to connected to?

#211 8 years ago
Quoted from Gorno:

I am glad you guys figured it out after I bailed. Where the the z connector supposed to connected to?

It's not supposed to be there at all! Those 2 connectors in the lower right of the picture are not supposed to be joined together by a Z connector. They are supposed to connect to the board in the picture. The other connectors on the controller board were also not connected to the proper places.

Rob

#212 8 years ago

That's really poor on behalf of Stern. Their customer service should have put this right long ago. If you were a big distributor with these problems, the issue would have been resolved long ago. For you to receive a reworked playfield and have on going issues with it, is just sloppy quality control and final testing. No excuses Stern, lift your game!

All the best Rob, here's hoping your game functions 100% very soon.

#214 8 years ago

Totally insane. I can't believe the shit you've gone through.

At this point stern needs to step up send you a new machine. Then once you have it and verify it works you can send yours back.

It might change the sentiment of this thread from "wow I can't believe stern is doing this to him". To "awesome, did you see what stern did for that Guy who got screwed with a warped playfield??!!"

Good luck with your problems

#215 8 years ago

wow. just wow.

hey rob, at the very least, did borg sign your new playfield?

#216 8 years ago

I would go right back to Stern. After what you went through, having to wait and wait and wait and pester them nonstop, the least you could expect was a drop-in ready playfield.

#217 8 years ago

Painfully clear they didn't even bother to TEST this playfield before sending off. Unbelieveable.

#218 8 years ago

I was going to pull the trigger on a nib twd. Reading this post reminded of stern's recent lack of quality and good customer service and I decided to pass. They really need to get their act together.

#219 8 years ago

speechless. I see they are doing a re-run on the monster premiums? maybe you should just have them mail you a new machine and swap it for this one? in a perfect world

#220 8 years ago

Most expensive paper weight ever

#221 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Painfully clear they didn't even bother to TEST this playfield before sending off. Unbelieveable.

This part is completely true. The snake switches were diodeless and not functioning, and they clearly never tested those colour changing LEDs. Are they really that sloppy at quality assurance, or is it not policy to test these playfields before they are sent out?

#222 8 years ago

i'd bring it back to your distributor and return it. Tell him to get the money back from stern

#223 8 years ago

Sorry Rob, I was hoping for better results! Sounds like it will be good in the end, but what a hassle.

Trying to see the positive in this, at least they didn't charge you $$ for a new play field, then want you to do all the labour involved in a play field swap.

#224 8 years ago

This is exactly what they did to me on my acdc premium. Wanted to charge me for a new playfield that of course I would have to swap.

#225 8 years ago

I'm not a Stern basher, but this is BS. It sounds like they just slapped it together, and it went through zero testing and QA.
What happened if this went to the average Joe with minimal experience?
Not cool.....

I would be dropping Gary a note.

#226 8 years ago

given what it cost them to pay for the return shipping of rob's original pf and then send it back out, it's no wonder why the price of stern's machines continue to sky-rocket. sounds to me like they just said 'f*ck it, box it up' at 5pm on a friday

note to self:
at the stern seminar @ this year's chicago expo, remember to ask gary how much vodka he had to drink before boxing up rob's thrown-together playfield

#227 8 years ago

This crap is exactly why I will never buy a NIB Stern. A play-tested, fully coded HUO, maybe, but NIB, oh hell no.
Get yer shit together stern.

#228 8 years ago

they go through all that work, without taking the time to even test it in house? You would think, knowing they had a major faulty product, they would go out of their way to make sure this new one works 100% and plug and play. WTF? Customer service isn't that hard.

#229 8 years ago

Stern, this is lame! Don't you test anything before it goes out the door?

#230 8 years ago

They probably checked to see if it was warped.

#231 8 years ago

Can someone please answer if there are supposed to be diodes on the snake mechanism switches please! Thanks!

A picture or two of the switches would help a lot too!

Rob

#232 8 years ago

Stern Customer Support:"Well at least we threw in a free Z-connector!"

#233 8 years ago

I think stern needs to send you a populated and tested playfield off the line, and then you can ship them that non-working playfield back to them (again), but they can keep it.

#234 8 years ago

Unacceptable. It's great that you have the skills to identify and fix the problems, but many people wouldn't. They'd be stuck with a DOA machine instead of the plug and play that kind of money should buy.

#235 8 years ago

I spoke with Chas and he isn't sure if the diodes are on the switch or on a terminal strip. He will send me a new RJ11 cable. Hopefully everything else I can sort out easily.

Rob

#236 8 years ago

I'm not seeing how that huge connector is supposed to fit on that auxiliary board in the picture.

#237 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I'm not seeing how that huge connector is supposed to fit on that auxiliary board in the picture.

Here it is from the manual. Each large connector spans across 3 small connectors. The gaps are key pins.

met.jpgmet.jpg

#238 8 years ago

I don't know all the details but if I was your distributor Id send you a NIB pin and take back your current one. I'd refurb it and put in on an auction site. The PR would be worth the money lost..

#239 8 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Can someone please answer if there are supposed to be diodes on the snake mechanism switches please! Thanks!
A picture or two of the switches would help a lot too!
Rob

I dont have a met premium, but looked at the online manual and on page (hand written y23) it has diagrams for snake switches 54 55 56 and they all three appear to have diodes on them.

http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/games/metallica/pro/421/MTLAB1.PDF

Hope that helps

#240 8 years ago

The snake problem has been found. The green wire is from the middle lug of the switch. The heatshrink was holding it in place so you could not easily see it was broken off. Testing had shown the switch matrix was good, but the switches themselves were not. So I pulled the snake out to test them easier and found this.

For the record, it appears some switches have diodes that are not on the switches themselves. There are several small terminal strips with diodes on them mounted under the playfield. I assume this is for higher reliability since on high vibration mechanisms the switch diodes are more prone to breaking. Tracing the wiring is a real chore though!

Yes the problems sucked and were initially frustrating, but it could always have been worse. These issues can be fixed with a bit of troubleshooting and patience. If this is all I have to deal with then that's not too bad. Chas is going to send me a longer RJ11 (telephone-like) data cable.

Rob

20150813_011936.jpg20150813_011936.jpg

#241 8 years ago

I think in the manual that the switches that have a diode on the under side of the playfield are usually marked. DOTS for diode on terminal strip.

#242 8 years ago

Omg I can't belive they sent you back a payfield you then had to work on. Posts like this are the reason why casual buyers are fearful of pinball. Some of us just lack the skill required or don't have time to pull machines apart. How is stern reimbursing you for your time? This is crazy.

#243 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

How is stern reimbursing you for your time?

Hahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha..............Joey

#244 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

How is stern reimbursing you for your time? This is crazy.

They are sending me a free package of bacon....

Rob

#245 8 years ago

Pfff......look at how many Williams sent me......!!!...........Joey
image.jpgimage.jpg

#246 8 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

They are sending me a free package of bacon....
Rob

Turkey bacon to promote healthy eating?

least williams could have had company letterhead bacon.

#247 8 years ago

Rob_G - Looks like you got the answer you needed. If you come across anything else that could use a reference image or someone to check something out please send me a PM and I'll get you a pic of what you need. I've got an LE but it should be the same as the Prem's. I say PM as I get an e-mail on my phone for those so that would make sure I saw it fairly quickly.

#248 8 years ago

When I had an issue with my playfield, I told them I had no clue how to work on pinball machines, but I could try swapping the playfield if given proper instructions.

They did it themselves.

#249 8 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Pfff......look at how many Williams sent me......!!!...........Joey
image.jpg

Now I am jealous!

Rob

#250 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Rob_G - Looks like you got the answer you needed. If you come across anything else that could use a reference image or someone to check something out please send me a PM and I'll get you a pic of what you need. I've got an LE but it should be the same as the Prem's. I say PM as I get an e-mail on my phone for those so that would make sure I saw it fairly quickly.

Sure, sounds good and thanks! I hope to get it re-assembled tonight and test, but if not then tomorrow night.

Rob

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 25.50
11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 29.95
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 295 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/met-playfield-twisted/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.