(Topic ID: 83153)

Metallica CODE UPDATE is here!!! 1.5 is UP!!!

By Rarehero

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 809 posts
  • 201 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 25 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

picks.jpg
20140313_224619.jpg
eotl.jpg
hahahaohwow.jpg
foam1.jpg
image.jpg
MET score.JPG
1980788_10152007345416939_1204062861_n[1].jpg
Twoweeks.jpg
lumbergh.jpg
04aa70639a2711e0910f12313b10052d_small.jpg
image.jpg
surprised.gif
image-37.jpg
image-327.jpg
image-650.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago

SWEETNESS!!!!

All will be forgiven

#7 5 years ago

88 megs of Lyman goodness.

#17 5 years ago

Fuel lane extra ball. Cool.

#23 5 years ago

"Fixed up LOTS of beeped speech. All questionable speech that could be
considered "ADULT CONTENT" has been beeped out (including a couple that
came as a request from customers (crazy b*st*rd, for example)."

What does this mean? That basically there is no adult content at all since it is all beeped out? Why do this when it could be changed in the settings (family mode)?

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Pretty sure that's what it means....bleeped for family mode.
C'mon lets PLAY this f*cker....no more speculating.

Well that would be good news, I read it the opposite, that it was done for non family mode.

Update seems to be taking forever. Doesn't help that I always verify the image first.

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It states that anything considered questionable has been bleeped ...safe to assume family mode. Words like f*ck and sh*t were bleeped but words like bastard weren't ...so now anything you wouldn't want the kiddies to hear is bleeped. Anyway, I'll verify in a few minutes when this update is done but this is f*cking Metallica, why would it be censored in Adult mode? Family Guy isn't censored in Adult. Sopranos isn't censored in Adult.

Exactly. That is my entire point! Would be really disappointing if the bleeped all of them in the non family mode.

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It states that anything considered questionable has been bleeped ...safe to assume family mode. Words like f*ck and sh*t were bleeped but words like bastard weren't ...so now anything you wouldn't want the kiddies to hear is bleeped. Anyway, I'll verify in a few minutes when this update is done but this is f*cking Metallica, why would it be censored in Adult mode? Family Guy isn't censored in Adult. Sopranos isn't censored in Adult.

Good news: I confirmed what you say here is accurate. In other words, playing with Adult Content = Yes, I heard "Sh*t" without it being bleeped.

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

OK here are my quick impressions so far after 3 games!
TONS of new insert and GI color lighting FX!
-Yellow inserts for Super Skill Shot
-Light Blue inserts for "chosen shot"
-Red inserts for combos (was like this before)
-Lighter red for Lady Justice
-GI Dims when you hit the Hammer captive ball
-Red & White GI during Fuel (gives the game an orangey glow)
-Lots of new flasher FX
Hammer is grabbing the ball really well - and the SLAM sound syncs perfectly with the hammer's action
Yes Rob, there is SWEARING lol (I heard "That little bastard just gave you a shitload of points")
Lots of Mystery fun!
I started a few Crank It Ups but I drained before I could do much of anything...still cool tho. I started Fade To Black and there were some roaming pulsing light FX
Grave Marker is now tons more awesome. The rising effect syncs with the DMD, new flasher FX...and it grabs and holds the ball for Super Jackpot. Kinda like ST's Vengeance Start...you have to hit the magnetized ball with your other ball. AWESOME
TONS more magnet action! My Sparky & Grave magnets never really flung much at all...now they're fling-city! The Grave one acted like a kickback a few times! Whipped it out really fast!
Update rocks so far...but gotta go to work lol...enjoy guys!

Sorry, missed this earlier Greg as I was too excited to post my findings about the swearing too!

There are a lot of additions regarding the color changing inserts too, with colors I hadn't seen before. Lots of new speech too.

Agree Grave Marker is way better now! Very cool. The hammer sound effect is still the same....just louder. Better than before, but I still had hoped for more.

#101 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

SHIT YEAH!
See, no bleep! Wooo!

F*CK YEAH!

Post edited by moderator: profanity

#107 5 years ago

Oh my God, the new Lady Justice mode is sweet!!!

#114 5 years ago

New Crank it Up mode is very cool!

This is like a totally new game now.

Magnets are definitely more active now. They throw the ball around. So far so good!

#115 5 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

I'm super happy that they put something out.

Trust me, this is a lot more than "something", even without the new songs or band member modes!

#127 5 years ago

Man, so many additions I am having sensory overload! Can't keep track of them all.

Now to collect the Super Jackpot during Cross multi-ball, you have to knock the ball off the magnet. The magnet grabs the next to last shot needed for the Super and holds it for a certain amount of time for you to knock it off.

Game is way deeper now. Lots more to do with being able to select song/modes during Crank it Up and Justice for All.

Great update! And this is without the new songs or band member modes!

I'm loving the use of the magnets and how they throw the ball back at you. Makes the game more exciting and challenging. Probably slightly shorter ball times as a result, but I am definitely good with that.

Scoring is a lot different for sure. I already put up a score of over 150 million on my third game.

#143 5 years ago
Quoted from DutchTommy:

i think today is kinda historical.. this update has been by far the largest update we ever witnessed for an stern game..

Hmmm. I think one of those AC/DC updates was pretty epic too if I remember correctly.

#145 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

What's different about it besides the insert colors? This is "new shit overload" ...I couldn't soak it all in lol

I'm starting to think that I was confused, and may have started Justice for All just prior to Crank it Up? I thought you could pick your mode when Justice started...but again, maybe I was in Crank it Up?

#146 5 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

I think all of you who participated in the 3000+ post bitching thread probably owe Lyman an apology.

Read the second post in this thread.

#224 5 years ago

Ok, this update is incredible!

Has anyone seen what happens in the crank it up modes?

There is now a huge risk/reward strategy to this game, very similar to that in AC/DC! When you are in one of the Crank it Up modes and you hit the shots and hit the ball back into the scoop when lit, you get the choice:

"<----Collect <bonus amount> or-----> Continue

Hitting continue allows you to try and build up the bonus even more, with the risk that if you drain you missed out on the jackpot that you could have collected.

This adds an entirely new dimension to the game, with way more risk/reward and resulting adrenaline!

Thank you Lyman!!!

#238 5 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

You really have to start all 4 mballs to get to crank it up?

No!

#263 5 years ago
Quoted from molspin:

Got to Crank It Up on my second game. First ball, 176M (+extra ball), finished my next 3 balls poorly ending with 194M. Not really sure how I started CIU, but it was silly fun. Love, love, loving this update. Amazing how much code affects your experience isn't it?

Indeed. The Crank it Up modes are a real game changer. Literally.

#266 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

So since everybody is blowing each other on here I guess it's time to bring Metallica home!
As good as Ac/dc? Yes or no.

Probably still a notch below it, but the addition of the Crank it Up modes has closed the gap considerably. If you like Metallica's music, it's a no-brainer in my opinion.

Now that the magnets throw the ball at you, it's a bit harder than it was and the ball times are a bit shorter, but it's still probably not quite as brutal as AC/DC can be.

Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

60 shots to get a crank it up mode?
Sounds like a lot of work!

It's not.

#374 5 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

I am doing this. Hitting that damned snake 15 times is a chore.

You don't have to.

#379 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Two weeks.
Stop worrying about it and spend those two weeks enjoying the new code and learning about the new stuff. It's practically overload as it is...I think I actually prefer it this way. In two weeks we'll have gotten a hang of the new stuff and it'll be easier to understand the MORE new stuff.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. I'm practically experiencing sensory overload as it is, so it will actually be nice to be able to "ease into" the new band member modes in a few weeks.

#386 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Speaking of sensory overload, I cannot stress how incredible the Prem/LE GI FX are now. They add so much personality and life to the game. Aside from the color FX, the dim FX are great. Can the Pro do the dimming?
-In the Prem/LE now, as you charge Sparky's chair, the GI gets dimmer...he's "draining it" as the chair powers up. So cool.
-"Enter Sandman" dims the GI in a way where the game has a creepy purple look to it.
-When you've got Grave Marker Multiball ready, the game has a blue/white GI combo to let you know it's ready.
-"Fade to Black" gradually dims the GI until it's just blue.
-Every time you hit a combo there's a Red GI "flash"
-Fuel uses the red & white GI in a way that gives the game a firey orange glow
There are probably way more, but those are the ones that really stick out off the top of my head. On top of that, there are all the new arrow colors to indicate various things...I can't imagine playing the Pro with just red arrows!
Prem/LE arrows:
-Light blue: "Selected shot"
-Red: Combo
-Light red: Lady Justice
-Yellow: Super Skill shot
-Pink: 2x ready
-Purple: 2x running
-Orange: After a Crank It Up is completed, inserts light orange...if you collect them all CIT lights again...but not to start another mode - but to collect more points (I think...I'm still trying to figure this one out)
I hope we see even more insert color use with the upcoming band features. Haven't seen green yet!

It's obvious to me that a ton of time was put into the new lighting. It's incredible.

I just finished playing a game and got 2x running before collecting a jackpot during CIU. My jackpot showed just over 20 million, and when I hit "collect" it gave me over 40 million. What a rush!

#405 5 years ago

Code continues to impress!

For those who say that getting to CIU is too difficult, I have to disagree. I got to it on my first ball and have started it twice in the same game a few times now, and I am sure I will get better when I learn more of the rules, like the super skill shot mentioned by Pinball Corpse.

The CIU modes are great! I think I was in For Whom the Bell Tolls and it seemed to take me forever to light the scoop again, but when I did I had 2x scoring going and I cashed in for a 118 million point jackpot!

MET score.JPG
#407 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Well, given the fact that I like the pro art more, and the choices of powder color Stern used on the premium is exceedingly MEH...

Uh....what powder coat on the premium?

Quoted from Frax:

413 million? Man, that's absurd compared to old scores, lol...

Yes. Old scores are irrelevant now.

It's a bit of a tradeoff though. Ball times are a bit shorter because of the magnets, but the scoring opportunities are way better/higher.

My GC score on old code was right at 300 million

#409 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

They didn't do any differnt powder than the normal black on the premium? That just makes the price difference even more stupid. Especially given what I paid for my game.

Nope, it's all black. You will see posts that I've made on this subject in the past and I've always said the the MET Pro is one of the best bang for the buck pins out there, but with this new code update and the HUGE enhancements made to the LED insert lighting, I would have a hard time giving it up in favor of a pro.

#469 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I believe you have to complete the CIU modes to get to End of the Line.

I think so too, and that's going to be a challenge!

#477 5 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

It's all good, I'm glad you're enjoying the game. I've only been able to play a couple games so far but plan on spending a lot more time on it today digging deeper into what's there. Hopefully we will get a gameplay video up soon. Seems I Learn much more about what's going on when I can watch someone aging and see what's happening on the DMD.

Yep. Always nice to watch someone else aging while they play.

#500 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Man, easily the worst thing about this game now are the band callouts. Sorry, but they really suck.

Ironically I was thinking how much better they are now. I like them.

Jack-F*CKING- POT!

#507 5 years ago
Quoted from CitznFish:

LOL, Mystery Award, 500,000.....Mystery Award 500,000
the irony of that happening with the new code update is LOL

I'm most definitely not having that issue

#547 5 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

The GI effects are sweet on the Premium especially in Fade to Black.

Fade to Black is the most impressive implementation of lighting that I've seen in any mode in quite some time.

#593 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Why, does he have a history of not doing that?

I can't think of any ball saver being added to any Stern based on "customer requests".

#613 5 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Disk restart on Tron isn't a ball saver but a similar gripe that was implemented after a few players mentioned it I understand.
I don't see this specific one happening though.

This doesn't make sense to me.

There was no such thing as "Disk restart" on Tron until the last code update. So how could this have been the result of people asking for it? (The prior Disc MB already had a ball saver on it obviously).

By complete contrast, there have been a lot of us who have been requesting a short ball saver to be implemented after hitting the Gem shot given the tendency of the ball to go SDTM through the pops after hitting Gem, but we didn't get one in the code update.

Quoted from markmon:

Historically, Lyman has not opted to add optional ball savers even when massively requested to do so. Same was requested for acdc on made correct canon shot. At one point he even told he he would break down and do it because of overwhelming number of requests but ultimately never did.

Exactly. Great example. And I *do* think that a short ball save should be implemented for a made cannon shot.

#614 5 years ago

It needs to be on Sea of Simulation then no? I don't agree with it there either frankly - and yes I get SUPER mad when I drain 2 seconds into these modes but I need to learn to calm my nerves haha.
The scoop kickout doesn't have a ball saver ever, what makes the CIU or SoS kickout different? Because it's high pressure? That's the point The middle shot on IM is super easy until Do or Die is lit for collect - should it just be a default award because I panic drained when I couldn't get the ball under control?

I agree completely.

Quoted from Aurich:

On Tron there's a sound cue and flasher to let you know the ball is being ejected anyways.

You really think having a warning on MET will make all the difference in the ball eject? I mean sure, I think it should have one too, but it's not like I'm clueless that the ball went into the scoop and that it's going to be coming back out.

#627 5 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

I did a simple mod. Added drop target foam to the top of the cube to help direct the ball down yet allow cube hits to register. Works almost 100% from the right flipper now.
Not sure this link will work but...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152369008430555&set=vb.672455554&type=2&theater

Simple shit that works, gotta love it!

#628 5 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Disagree on this one. It's another risk reward shot & Most times a ball can be saved with a well timed nudge or slide save but that's what makes it a risky play. When the jackpot is too low shoot the loop or something else.
Next people will be wanting a ball save for made bell shots.

Actually I think you are right, and I take back what I said about wanting a ball save after a made cannon shot. Especially since it doesn't happen that often.

What I actually meant to say was that I do think there should be a ball save on the mode where the cannon shoots the ball on it's own (can't remember which mode that is right now....For Those About to Rock?) and you have no control over where the ball goes. That one sucks.

#633 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Can you post a pic of what that looks like?

It's pretty simple. You stick drop dead foam against the cube.

Why you need a pic of that?

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=131

Quoted from Aurich:

Not if the problem is that the ball didn't even make it to the flippers no, which is why I think a ball save sounds good. But an "eject alert" is nice for timing purposes.

I guess I don't think of this as being a problem since I don't get drains from the scoop very often at all.

#636 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

A 5 or 10 second ball save on CIU would be very nice since it's theoretically a 6 minute non-multiball mode that you've worked hard to start. Draining within 5 seconds just makes you feel like a shithead. Multiballs ALWAYS have ballsavers, and you could argue that by their nature a ball save during MB is unnecessary. So, if MB can have ballsave, why not CIU?

Let's go back to the analogy that's already been made a few times in this thread. How is CIU much different than SoS on Tron?

Do you think starting CIU is substantially harder than starting SoS? I don't.

And what does the fact that CIU is theoretically a 6 minute non-multiball mode have to do with it? Theoretically, SoS is *unlimited* in time...and has no ball saver.

Don't you feel like a "shithead" when you drain 5 seconds into SoS? Yet....no ball saver.

Yes, MB's have ball savers. CIU isn't a MB. Neither is SoS...and, you guessed it, no ball saver.

Obviously it isn't a matter of whether CIU *can* have a ball saver. Of course it *can*. But perhaps that's not what the designer(s) want. Just like SoS.

Quoted from Aurich:

He said the top to direct it down, not clear what that looks like. Sounded like more than just some foam on the face.

Got ya.

#645 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I dunno, maybe it's psychological. I think because there are 4 CIU's that you need to play to get to EOTL, if you blow it super quick you feel like such a failure. Since SOS is near the end of the game, If I get to it I already feel like a success, even if I blow it.

As for what the "designer wants"...that's what "Director's Cut" settings are for...other than that, he's given you 100's of difficulty and rule variations to play with. One more won't kill anyone.

Hey, that's definitely a valid point. They *are* different. But then again, a ball saver on CIU isn't going to make getting to the next CIU any easier.

#648 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I just changed Replay and Special to extra ball. Is that the designer's intent? Probably not, but he's letting me do it lol.

Did you put rubber bands across the outlane posts too?

Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I had a pretty lengthy game on MET with the updated code and wow what a difference. It was exactly what I was hoping for to put it over the top. Got to and cashed out 3 CIU modes and had 4th lit but drained darn it. Just made the game much more enjoyable what a fun pin!!

Wow, that's an impressive game!

What was your score?? 8 balls?

#651 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

There's that "macho" "If-you-don't-have-your-game-set-up-like-I-do..." attitude. I don't get it. Plenty of people set their games to 5 ball. Plenty of people change the positions. No two pinball machines play alike because everyone sets them up differently. If you don't like my game with ball saves, just play Addams when you come over lol.

I'll never play in a tournament, I don't have to impress anyone with my game setups...I set it up to be fun for me.

Greg, relax pal.

I have Special = Extra Ball too. Lighten up.

Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Nope first game on new code all setting standard with loose tilt. Can't remember the score but was able to get GC score for now at least. You know I actually might be a capable player every once in a while. Ye of little faith.

Seriously dude, that is a pretty epic game!

Do you remember what your highest jackpot collected was on any of the 3 CIU modes?

#657 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

But an "eject alert" is nice for timing purposes.

By the way, if you really want to know when the ball is coming out of the scoop for timing purposes, simply hit both flippers at the same time = instant ball eject!

#680 5 years ago

Just because it wasn't in your mind doesn't mean players didn't recommend it. I've heard from number of sources (most recently the latest PAPA tv coverage) that that restart was a combination of Lyman's observations and recommendations from a handful of players (generally higher level players) that you can get locked out of portal badly if you have to keep restarting disc which turns the game into chopping wood. I realize this isn't the same as ball save... I'm just saying Lyman listens to ideas. However not every drainy shot or feature needs a ball save.
Edit: removed off topic crap

Actually I realized after re-reading your original post that I misunderstood it.

I thought that you were saying that people were asking for a ball save on the Disc MB restart on Tron, which isn't possible since it didn't even exist before the last code update.

What you are saying is that people were actually asking for the Disc MB restart to begin with. Correct?

I think we are on the same page now.

#735 5 years ago
Quoted from Bearded_Warrior:

^ It's definitely doable. I reached two CIU modes the second time I played with the new code. It's not supposed to be easy though, hence the term "wizard mode". And you don't even have to complete the CIU modes, just reach them. There's also plenty of adjustments to make to the game if it's too difficult for you or if you just want to see it.

I think CIU is considered a kind of "mini" wizard mode. The wizard mode is End of the Line and it's unlikely I will see it any time soon.

Edit: see pic above.

#762 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Almost 20 years is too soon?

You mean almost 30 years.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Machine - For Sale
Clearwater, FL
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 35.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside