(Topic ID: 83153)

Metallica CODE UPDATE is here!!! 1.5 is UP!!!

By Rarehero

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 809 posts
  • 201 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

picks.jpg
20140313_224619.jpg
eotl.jpg
hahahaohwow.jpg
foam1.jpg
image.jpg
MET score.JPG
1980788_10152007345416939_1204062861_n[1].jpg
Twoweeks.jpg
lumbergh.jpg
04aa70639a2711e0910f12313b10052d_small.jpg
image.jpg
surprised.gif
image-37.jpg
image-327.jpg
image-650.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#270 10 years ago

Personally, I'm disappointed with this update. Yes, it's better than it was. But it does not feel like a new game or anything that major. The crank it up modes are great but you may not even see them every game. The band member modes are still unimplemented. The game still doesn't have any of the strategy typical in Lyman coded games. I know the changelog list is long. But the game does not feel al that different to me. It's still not blasting through the multiballs. I think acdc is way better code wise.

#278 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Pretty sure there's enough new code here to help people wait the couple weeks for that.

If its really only a couple more weeks then sure. What evidence is there that it won't be a few more months? The game is pretty fun. And the crank it up modes did make it so you're not just repeating the same old thing. But am I the only one that doesn't see any real strategy in this game? If I am, can some of you point it out to me? The way I see it is you basically start a mb or two, do your best and repeat.

Other Lyman games have lots of strategy that I feel is lacking here. For example, MM has huge strategy in getting the madness modes started without starting the first one too early. Or in using mb to safely destroy castles. Acdc has massive scoring strategies on when to take jackpots, using mb to progress on to encore etc. Spiderman has great stacking and strategies as to getting the white spider modes started before a mutiball starts. I don't feel Metallica really has any of this.

And all the new code really is stuff that happens later in the game. It's not unreasonable to expect to play a couple games and never notice any of the significant new features.

Quoted from badbilly27:

I respect this post. One pinsider did not automatically fall on his knees and blow another with a code update.
Really that disappointed? Seems like a lot more is going on.

I guess "very disappointed" is a bit strong. How about "somewhat disappointed".

Anyway, if another update really is just around the corner then I am ok with things and will wait it out. I expected something game changing though like when Lyman introduced VIP pass. I don't feel we got anything like that.

#285 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You'd feel different if you had a Prem/LE. The color changing insert and GI FX, new Hammer and Cross stuff definitely make it feel brand new.

That's pretty cool then. I'll go update my friends LE and see how things look there. I'm glad some of those features are panning out for LE owners. I hope the next drop adds the dimension of rules strategy that Lyman usually provides in his games. Then I'll be happy.

#287 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

You're joking right? I only got to play a prem for an hour or so but I was able to get lady justice, fuel, and a crank it up mode. Everything stacks with everything and in a smooth transition type way. There is plenty room on the board now for strategies and elements. Yea, the band member modes aren't in...which means Lyman isn't rushing out just 'any' type of code and more awesomeness is yet to come to this game.

I believe lady justice and fuel already existed though. So you got crank it up which is really cool no doubt. But the crank it up modes are somewhat difficult to get to and I doubt you see crank it up every game. That means the changes are at least somewhat subtle in that you may have a few games where you notice nothing different. Compare this to the big acdc drop last year when you skill shot VIP pass and have some super awesome strategic ways to use it like having your mb restart as you drain your last ball.

I'm not saying I know everything about the new rules. You're pretty good with rules. What types of strategy do you see here?

#298 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Maybe it would be a good idea to play it for a few days to see what's all in the new code as far as stacking strategies & new modes before complaining that there isnt much to the update???

I never said there wasn't much to the update. In fact, I even pointed out that the changelog was long. What I said was I was disappointed in the update and am not finding there to be strategy typical with Lyman rulesets. It shouldn't take "a few days" to feel like the game is a lot different or not. I was able to tell after plunging the ball that acdc was dramatically changed on its big update last year. Woz update is completely different. This one feels rather minor for 7 months of waiting. I'm not here complaining about it or bashing stern. I'm simply saying that while it is better than it was, it falls short of my expectations. However, I was not aware that another update is due out in a couple weeks. Based on that, I will reserve my judgement for that.

Quoted from sk8ball:

Try lighting as many inserts as you can before starting any multiball. This is a quick path to CIU since almost every shot you hit in multiball will count towards your CIU progress.

Can anyone expand on this strategy? How do you light inserts and which inserts do you mean to light?

#332 10 years ago
Quoted from micro:

I am somewhat familiar with the rules, and think I can answer this.
This is done by using the flashing spider.
Let's say you hit the left orbit. That shot's spider insert will light (indicating that you are about to light one of this shot's inserts, if you play your cards right).
Now, if you hit a cross drop target, the cross insert in front of the left orbit will light. If instead, you hit the snake, the snake insert in front of the left orbit will light. Using this method, you can start lighting up the inserts.
If you can complete all of these inserts (light them all on the left orbit, and all on the right orbit, etc, etc) then you get to the seek and destroy mode.
But, while you are trying to get there, Mr Sk8tball is saying that these shots (with lit inserts) will add to the requirments to the Crank it Up mode.
I hope I got that right, but I haven't actually gotten to play the new update yet.... so maybe I am way off

Thank you for your answer. This is very helpful. Using this strategy, I did get Crank it up after my first multiball.

#423 10 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

unless the hammer turns you off

I'd own a premium if it weren't for the square plate behind the hammer. It's not the hammer that ruins it but the plate. The round captive ball on the pro is so much more fun to shoot at.

#429 10 years ago

So thanks to the strategies you guys gave me last night I am finding this update to be a lot better now. The crank it up stuff is really good and pretty easy to get into if you light a few inserts then start a multiball. I like the option to cash in or continue. Is the continue at a higher scoring rate or anything? I cashed in each time.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#433 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Don't agree. I bought MET Pro because it plays better and is less buggy (and yes, I could afford the Premium). I think the hammer blocks the PF, looks goofy, and doesn't work well…my 2$. From my perspective, the light show is the only compelling feature of the Premium (not enough for me to upgrade given the other downsides).

I am in the same boat. I'm going to a friends to update his LE tonight and will give it a few plays to test and see if I change my mind. It's that square plate behind the hammer that ruins it.

#438 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Sorry one of the great things about the premium is the spinners & the new SFX for the hammer coming down kicks ass. Pro is a nice option but in no way better then the Premium/LE.

Well in one way the pro is better: the ball is way better to hit than the metal plate. I can accept someone claiming that the sum of the premium is better than the sum of the pro. But its crazy to say "in no way". That's wrong because there is this one way. I'm going to update my friends LE shortly and test it a bit. If the net experience is greater, I'll upgrade.

#453 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

So the captive ball is a plus (which I have no issues with the cube) then on the premium you have color changers, Spinners, Hammer lock, Moving Snake Jaw.
Sorry too many pluses on the Premium for me to be just concerned about a captive cube.

I can accept your stance on that. But you can't say the premium is better "in every way" only that you feel its sums of benefits over the pro outweigh its shortcoming. I can accept that stance.

I spent some time on my friends LE tonight. Its plays pretty well. I'm not sure that the hammer plate was accepting all ball hits. On my pro, coffin mb starts very early on but on the LE it was very late in the game. It also seems there were a couple phantom locks. How often does that generally happen? Also, the captive ball is very sensitive. If you barely tap it it registers a hit. The plate seems to need a much stronger hit. Is that common or perhaps his game needs some tweaking?

I did like the hammer when it worked on an actual lock. It's well synced to the sound now and gives a great effect.

#456 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Are there band member modes yet?

Are we sure these are coming? I heard "Lars is lit" and his insert was lit. Not sure how you light them. But perhaps that's all that's intended.

#457 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Maybe it would be a good idea to play it for a few days to see what's all in the new code as far as stacking strategies & new modes before complaining that there isnt much to the update???

I gotta admit it when I'm wrong and this time it seems I was. You were right. Another day of solid play and I'm really changing my perspective here. The way crank it up was implemented really gives a ton of strategy to this game a I'm having a blast with it for the first time in months.

#461 10 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

Exactly. The snake is so much better,that alone would sell me on a premium. The premium is how the designer intended it to be on all models. It's like buying a new car without power steering,cruse control,& all the things that make it"better" People can talk all they want but I'm not buying the cheap model if a better one is out there & then say the cheap one is better. Just play your pros & imagine if it had what all that was intended for it. Sorry but i had to say it. Sad but true.

If I remember right from an interview with stern, John Borg said he designs both models at the as time. Steve Ritchie said he designs the LE and strips features for pro, and Gomez said he designs the pro and adds for the LE.

#511 10 years ago
Quoted from Ruger:

Same as always for me, although I'm getting a lot more phantom hammers, even with the ball cradled on the flipper.

Did you toggle adjustment #80?

#512 10 years ago
Quoted from PinHeadz:

My first time doing a update guys and I'm guessing the machine is smarter than me.... I turned game on, went to to update code, flipped top switch to on , installed flash drive into board , the hit select on the coin door controls and it just says rebooting...... For like 20 mins, nothing happens..... What am I doing wrong? Thanks guys

And if you do the above with no USB drive installed what happens? If it boot and asks for USB drive, get another USB. If it does the same thing, your boot rom is probably corrupted. You'll have to call stern.

#518 10 years ago
Quoted from PinHeadz:

I tried it without the USB file inserted and when I hit the white reset button it just freezes

If you are freezing up without the USB inserted, it obviously has nothing to do with the contents of the USB. Call Stern. Your boot rom is hosed. It's possible that an updated ROM will fix it, or possible that you need a new CPU board. They'll help you.

Quoted from Roostking:

You've got to unzip the file. It's the .bin file you need

Quoted from thunderking50:

I had to download the code 2 times the first time it said nothing on the USB key!
Try erasing your code file on your key and download the code from Stern again!

Sorry guys, all this is irrelevant to his problem. He cant even get it to boot without the usb inserted.

#519 10 years ago

Can someone with a premium or LE go into their switch test and give me the switch numbers (row col) for each of the two spinners? Is it 37 and 38?

#525 10 years ago

Alright. Thank you.

#532 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, that's what's doing me in, it just sounds like something I don't want to miss out on. The toys aren't such a big deal to me, but there's just a lot going on now with the Prem/LE lighting. I'll make it out to Greg's some night next week and see what I think. I'm not in a rush to buy, Star Trek is still new in my collection, but have to see how much longer they're gonna run it on the line.

Yeah, for sure. Not entirely certain what all I'll touch, but you know me, can't leave well enough alone! Once the band member modes are in and the bugs worked out I'll look at condensing the rules into a card or two. Might take two for this one now like AC/DC did with everything Lyman is doing. There's a pattern forming here ...

You might want to spend time playing both. Here is my break down in my opinion of course:

- color changing arrows - big plus on the premium. No alternative on the pro. This is the number 1 reason to go premium.
- colored GI segments - while neat, it's not as big of an impact as say xmen or acdc. A nicely led pro does well here. Not just as well but it's not huge either
- snake jaw - I think this is another big one. Especially with the add a ball multiball. The pro gives you option to immediate spit out the ball or if you don't enable that, you might get two stuck in there, which sucks if you only have two balls left in the mb.
- cross - I prefer the stationary one over the moving one. The flashers behind the cross are directly visible to the eye when the cross is down. The stationary one looks cool and has flasher built in
- Spinners - nice effect. No rules to them yet. Sounds are neat. But not a game changer
- hammer - this is pretty bad ass now. I really like it. But the downside is:
- captive ball - pro has an awesome captive ball. Premium has a horrible square plate. Common shots are captive ball bounce into snake. Captive ball bounce into sparky. Captive ball bounce over left ramp. With the square plate, you can occasionally do some of these things but not very often, not very easy to do them intentionally, and the ball always kind of comes back dead. It's not near as fun to shoot.

In my opinion, it really comes down to captive ball vs color changing inserts. You should spend time on both games to really decide.

#591 10 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

I'm slowly working on doing this. The one concern I have that most people probably aren't thinking of is the newton block is actually non magnetic, where a captive ball assembly typically is magnetic. I don't know what the repercussions will be with the coffin magnet so close so I'm looking at building a non magnetic version in the near future to try it out.

I don't think this will matter. What will matter is that one the pro the shots to the captive ball almost never come directly backwards. It'll be almost impossible to actually lock balls. I'd love to hear how this turns out. If good, and I'm wrong about the above, I'll buy premium.

#594 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's a thing hitting a thing...same thing, really...and I know you say the ball does more combo-y stuff off the ball....*shrug*...same thing happens off the cube. Plenty of times I've hit the cube and it's gone right into the Snake....or on the other side and up into Sparky.

It really can't be the same to hit the cube vs the ball. If it were, they would have left the ball in on the LE design. The ball is round so only very straight on hits cause balls to float back where the magnet could grab the ball. This type of shot is infrequent. On the LE, it is designed to send the ball back at the magnet. This is the frequent result of the shot. On the LE, you can sometimes combo a ricochet from plate to snake but it's very hard to do and usually done by accident. This is by design or (again) the magnet couldn't reliably catch the ball. On the pro, you can reliably aim for the ball to snake combo. Ball to sparky is harder but happens frequently.

Remember, I had both pro and LE in my house together for several days making this comparison before settling on the pro. Unless someone has played a few hours on both games they may not know what one offers over the other. It's really not the same.

#603 10 years ago

Ultimately I get few if any locks off a captive ball hit anyway... I really doubt my lock frequency will drop with a geometry change as most of my locks come from random roll overs and snake jaws. My bet is Stern had good intentions of that cube fixing things I don't see it working well as it is so why not try a few changes.
It's ultimately a minor part to trial and error a few ideas. Just have to get my butt in gear.

Please report how this turns out. Maybe its own thread when you get it done with the analysis.

#611 10 years ago

Historically, Lyman has not opted to add optional ball savers even when massively requested to do so. Same was requested for acdc on made correct canon shot. At one point he even told he he would break down and do it because of overwhelming number of requests but ultimately never did.

#626 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I hope he never does.

Yes yes... You've already stated tons of times in the acdc threads that you think making a designated shot resulting in a cheap drain is fun. After all, who wouldn't find that fun? This isn't about that. It's an example of why Lyman probably won't implement the ball save for CIU.

#661 10 years ago
Quoted from SolarRide:

Here is a beeline v1.5 strat (confirmed) to get CIU qualified at the scoop asap:
1) If you don't get super skill shot on right ramp, then mark right ramp by shooting it.
2) Hit sparky and snake in either order and then gravemarker drop target (if you hit gravemarker first it becomes the marked shot)
3) Hit right ramp and then nail the flashing captive ball
4) All three inserts are now lit on the right ramp.
5) Alternate hitting right ramp and lit snake head for snake letter until snake is flashing to start snake multiball
6) start snake multiball and go to town on captive ball. You can also try to get add-a-ball and knock down gravemarker targets once you hit the captive ball 15 times so that gravemarker is one hit away from being qualified when you exit snake (gravemarker to be used to get 20 captive ball hits for 2nd CIU once first CIU played). Use the remaining mb if you have it still to then hit right ramp more until 15 right ramp shots are made (status report does show hits needed for each CIU qualifying element and playfield inserts also show if you completed a CIU qualifying element like snake,sparky,coffin or gravemarker).
7) Once you have 15 captive ball hits, hit the right ramp until CIU is lit at scoop if it isn't lit upon exiting mb.
You can use this strat over and over again to get the other 3 CIUs (2nd CIU takes 20 hits of each element, but as long as you didn't get S&D, the right ramp still will have all 3 inserts lit), but just keep in mind that it takes more right ramps to light light the snake head for a snake letter (2 times for next snake mb and 3 times for next, I think on factory it maxes at 3 snake inserts to light snake head for snake letter). Along the way you will start Lady Justice, but it will be less points than normal since you are just hitting the right ramp.
The multiballs are now just a tool in v1.5 to get the 15 captive ball hits (or 20/25/30 for other CIUs) more safely than in single ball play, since the various CIUs dwarf the scoring of other game elements like mb,S&D,lady justice and fuel.

Ok, can someone clarify how the CIU qualification works? I was under the impression that all I need to do is shoot completed lit inserts 15 times. I assumed this meant mark a lane, shoot sparky, shoot snake, shoot grave, remark the lane, complete at snake, now shoot that lane 15 times. What does captive ball have to do with it after all this? Im sorry if this was already discussed, but a few posts ago I was given the strategy for this and it wasn't the same as the above with the captive ball.

#662 10 years ago

On the ball saver for the CIU mode, what do you guys think of this. Instead of a ball-saver, flash the CIU light for say 15 seconds. If you drain within that time you lose your ball, but CIU is still lit and you get an opportunity to start it on your next ball without requalifying it all over again.

#686 10 years ago

CIU, Sea of Simulation etc... are higher level player goals and as such do not need ball save to be fun -

I don't really agree. You need to be able to play the mode for it to be fun. If the mode starts and the ball drains instantly, (which happened to me today), well then you didn't play the mode nor did you have fun with it. Not only is this not fun, but it is also extremely irritating. If I had the chance on the next ball to shoot the scoop and try the mode again, then ok.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 12.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/met-code-15-is-up?tu=markmon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.