(Topic ID: 83153)

Metallica CODE UPDATE is here!!! 1.5 is UP!!!

By Rarehero

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 809 posts
  • 201 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

picks.jpg
20140313_224619.jpg
eotl.jpg
hahahaohwow.jpg
foam1.jpg
image.jpg
MET score.JPG
1980788_10152007345416939_1204062861_n[1].jpg
Twoweeks.jpg
lumbergh.jpg
04aa70639a2711e0910f12313b10052d_small.jpg
image.jpg
surprised.gif
image-37.jpg
image-327.jpg
image-650.jpg
There are 809 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 17.
#551 10 years ago
Quoted from callmesteam:

Band members don't do much right now, but is there a pattern to which member is awarded first? I almost always get Lars first, but I played two quick games today and got Kirk on the first one. I'm pretty sure I've gotten James before, and pretty sure I've never gotten Robert. Just curious. Maybe it'll make more sense in two weeks.
And the three round inserts that echo the pop bumpers near the FUEL lane entrance. Any ideas yet? I watched a friend play on his MET Premium and they were solid/flashing/all on/some on, etc. I watched them when his ball was in the pops, and they didn't do anything. I never really notice them when I'm playing on my Pro. Thanks!

After reading this, I played four games in a row. I got Robert first the first two times, Lars first the third, and Kirk first the fourth. Must be random.

#552 10 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

After reading this, I played four games in a row. I got Robert first the first two times, Lars first the third, and Kirk first the fourth. Must be random.

I never paid attention, but alot of games randomly switch what mode is about to light with pop hits.

#553 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

It's quite possible that the answer is in here already and I missed it, but I have a question about completing the coffin requirements to start CIU. On a MET Pro, if it matters. On default settings, you have to hit it 15 times. Can you collect all 15 during a multiball or does it stop registering them once you light the lock? If the stacking setting is enabled, does that change the collection toward CIU or just toward coffin multiball?

I believe you can flail away on the block during a MB and get it.

Snake is another question - I had a bonus collect of over 15 snake hits on ball one, but I didn't have snake lit for CIU yet. Do only snake mouth and snake insert shots count - ie not jaw shots?

#554 10 years ago

I wonder...how hard would it be to replace the metal plate on the premium/le with a pro style captive ball?

#555 10 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

I wonder...how hard would it be to replace the metal plate on the premium/le with a pro style captive ball?

I'm slowly working on doing this. The one concern I have that most people probably aren't thinking of is the newton block is actually non magnetic, where a captive ball assembly typically is magnetic. I don't know what the repercussions will be with the coffin magnet so close so I'm looking at building a non magnetic version in the near future to try it out.

#557 10 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

what would be the end result you would like to accomplish by doing this?

#558 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Thank you for your answer. This is very helpful. Using this strategy, I did get Crank it up after my first multiball.

No problem! Glad to help

#559 10 years ago
Quoted from vex:

what would be the end result you would like to accomplish by doing this?

To make that part of the game play more like the pro.

#560 10 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

If you want to make your coffin lock even more useless then go for it. You dont think Stern tried it out then decided they needed to switch to the cube instead?

#561 10 years ago

I think they changed the captive ball to the block to get the ball to roll down over the magnet after being hit vs ricocheting all over. It is hard enough to get the magnet to actually catch a fast moving ball, this would just make the ball less likely(impossible) to hit the magnet ( but you never know).

#562 10 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

Got my pro yesterday, big thanks to Trent of Tilt. I played a friends LE a couple weeks ago on old code. I think I will miss the light show but I am extremely happy with my game. The new code is freaking great. I would have thanked him in person at Louisville if I had a chance but, thank you Lyman!!

Hey I'am getting my premium from Trent in Ohio as well, my first NIB. How was the shipping? He said they will have it shipped to my door, will the driver actually pallet jack the pin in the Stern box to my front door? My garage is 20 feet from the street, if he bring in there that's perfect and I can take it from there. How does this delivery process work? Tip the driver, etc.?

#563 10 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Hey I'am getting my premium from Trent in Ohio as well, my first NIB. How was the shipping? He said they will have it shipped to my door, will the driver actually pallet jack the pin in the Stern box to my front door? My garage is 20 feet from the street, if he bring in there that's perfect and I can take it from there. How does this delivery process work? Tip the driver, etc.?

The tipping question started a long thread a few months ago. Completely your call. I always do.

Depending on the size of the truck, I would count on the end of your driveway.

#564 10 years ago

Played LE today then Pro.

Love the color changers - really good.

The rest is a mixture really as prefer the open p/f without the hammer and having the captive ball.

If I could swop from pro to premium it would be a no brainer but I wouldn't for the $$$$ you need to do it because of the negatives.

#565 10 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

I picked it up at the show and saved big. I would recommend tipping the driver. I would especially do it if you plan to buy other pins shipped in the future. Two delivered my LOTR and I gave them $10 a piece.

#566 10 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Got mine updated this morning. Loving it. Im still a bit clueless to what exactly im supposed to be doing in the crank it modes. And i do wish there was a ball save during crank it...

After playing the new code for a couple days now, I couldn't agree more. I reached CIU about 6 times and lost the ball within the first 2-5 seconds several times. Bummer. I submitted a request for adding this...

#567 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I reached CIU about 6 times and lost the ball within the first 2-5 seconds several times.

Same here, but how is this different than SoS in Tron? Both are 1 ball modes that are hard to start, and if you drain, you're done.

#568 10 years ago

Everyone I talk to wants a ball save on CIU, I wouldn't be surprised to see Lyman/Stern listen. I'd call that the #1 complaint about the new code even.

#569 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Same here, but how is this different than SoS in Tron? Both are 1 ball modes that are hard to start, and if you drain, you're done.

The problem is you can start it, and then have the ball leave the scoop, never touch a flipper, and drain. That sounds like a fair use of a ball saver. It's only on for a few seconds, not gonna help you finish the mode.

To me ball saves are about avoiding frustration, not helping you cheat.

#570 10 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

The hammer does not hide Sparky, at all! I'm 5.foot 6.and can see Sparky in his entirety. Both feet and up. No blockage at all

ok, not hide, let's than talk to a more "open playfield", as some didnt like wolverine in x-men

#571 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The problem is you can start it, and then have the ball leave the scoop, never touch a flipper, and drain. That sounds like a fair use of a ball saver.

Sounds like a broken eject scoop. Why not just fix it so it delivers to the left flipper every time? I'd hope we're past the days we need software ballsavers to compensate for crummy hardware design...

#572 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The problem is you can start it, and then have the ball leave the scoop, never touch a flipper, and drain. That sounds like a fair use of a ball saver. It's only on for a few seconds, not gonna help you finish the mode.
To me ball saves are about avoiding frustration, not helping you cheat.

I can see the logic behind that, and I'm certainly not against an option for a ball save, even if it's on by default. My scoop does hit the flipper every time, but not in a way that I can control. If yours doesn't, that would be a PITA. Assuming the scoop kickout does hit the flipper, it would help if there was a kickout warning.

Quoted from metallik:

Sounds like a broken eject scoop.

I thought the same thing.

#573 10 years ago

My scoop shoots to the left flipper everytime, I would look at your scoop.

#574 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

My thought as well. Only gripe I have is the scoop kickout on Metallica is unannounced and quite aggressive. There needs to be a cue of either sound or light to let you know that thing is coming at you.

#575 10 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

My thought as well. Only gripe I have is the scoop kickout on Metallica is unannounced and quite aggressive. There needs to be a cue of either sound or light to let you know that thing is coming at you.

the ball will eject on command when both flippers are pressed simultaneously.

#576 10 years ago

There needs to be a cue of either sound or light to let you know that thing is coming at you.

"SCOOP DA WOOP! I'M A FIRING MUH PINBALL!"

#577 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Sounds like a broken eject scoop. Why not just fix it so it delivers to the left flipper every time? I'd hope we're past the days we need software ballsavers to compensate for crummy hardware design...

I don't own the game, so I dunno what to say, that's the story I got just yesterday from someone at Pinball Land. I see the complaint all over the forums here. I'm sure if they add it it will be optional, don't turn it on if you don't want it.

On my Shadow I turn on the ball saver (all or 3-4 seconds if that) for the middle shot. It's a hard enough game without getting the SDTM drains. If you don't have it on on your Shadow, hey, your game. I don't pretend my game room is a PAPA tournament. Nor do I set my games on 5 balls and bring in all my outlane posts, but if I wanted to I would, what's the point of owning your very own pinballs if you can't set them up in a way that makes you happy?

#578 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Everyone I talk to wants a ball save on CIU, I wouldn't be surprised to see Lyman/Stern listen. I'd call that the #1 complaint about the new code even.

When I had HSII, it would drain every time I started 4th Gear Super Charger. No ball save. It became comical, like the pinball gods were having a good laugh.

The ball is wild.

Personally, I don't think there should be a ball save on CIU, and I don't think there should be ball saves at the beginning of multi-balls, either.

#579 10 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

When I had HSII, it would drain every time I started 4th Gear Super Charger. No ball save. It became comical, like the pinball gods were having a good laugh.
The ball is wild.
Personally, I don't think there should be a ball save on CIU, and I don't think there should be ball saves at the beginning of multi-balls, either.

Do you turn them off in your game settings?

#580 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Do you turn them off in your game settings?

Too lazy.

#581 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

That's true…I'd like one on SoS as well And a 2-second GEM save...

#582 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The round captive ball on the pro is so much more fun to shoot at.

Heck yes. Can anyone confirm/deny that the Premium cube and Pro ball use the same mounting holes? If so, I'm changing my LE cube to a ball.

#583 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's a thing hitting a thing...same thing, really...and I know you say the ball does more combo-y stuff off the ball....*shrug*...same thing happens off the cube.

Unfortunately it's not even close to the same thing, in my experience. I've never hit the cube and combo'd a free Sparky hit. I have, however, combo'd the cube to left outlane a couple dozen times. Never happens when I play a Pro.

#584 10 years ago

Why not just have a ball save constantly active?

#585 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Also, the captive ball is very sensitive. If you barely tap it it registers a hit. The plate seems to need a much stronger hit. Is that common or perhaps his game needs some tweaking?

Recently I had to tighten up all three cube mounting nuts when I noticed it was getting harder & harder to score a hit over time. Loose cube was leeching a lot of the ball's momentum. Thankfully it's just a standard maintenance thing.

#586 10 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

#4 high score default in new code.

Sorry to bust everyone's bubble, but that is default TOPS scoring that has been in every SAM game ever made (and also most of the late-model Whitestars). It has nothing to do with the default high scores of the game itself, and all 5 scores are set low to ensure people that actually play the game in TOPS mode get to enter their names. It's not like I didn't work there for 9 years. I guess they're taking a dig/slam at Joe Blackwell too, huh?

Honestly this just makes me feel sorry for you guys trying to dig up dramas.

#587 10 years ago

The cube needs to be tapered to slow the ball down rather then sending it bouncing back.

#588 10 years ago
Quoted from movingpictures:

Why not just have a ball save constantly active?

Why the hyperbole? I hope they do add a ball save, people would like it. If you own the game you can turn it off. I imagine any serious tournaments will leave it turned off too. So what's the problem?

#589 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Why the hyperbole? I hope they do add a ball save, people would like it. If you own the game you can turn it off. I imagine any serious tournaments will leave it turned off too. So what's the problem?

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Lyman to add a ball save.

#590 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Lyman to add a ball save.

Why, does he have a history of not doing that?

#591 10 years ago

I'm slowly working on doing this. The one concern I have that most people probably aren't thinking of is the newton block is actually non magnetic, where a captive ball assembly typically is magnetic. I don't know what the repercussions will be with the coffin magnet so close so I'm looking at building a non magnetic version in the near future to try it out.

I don't think this will matter. What will matter is that one the pro the shots to the captive ball almost never come directly backwards. It'll be almost impossible to actually lock balls. I'd love to hear how this turns out. If good, and I'm wrong about the above, I'll buy premium.

#592 10 years ago

Well if they won't add a ball save, maybe they can add an option for the scoop power, like on the slingshots. Having adjustability might help?

#593 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Why, does he have a history of not doing that?

I can't think of any ball saver being added to any Stern based on "customer requests".

#594 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's a thing hitting a thing...same thing, really...and I know you say the ball does more combo-y stuff off the ball....*shrug*...same thing happens off the cube. Plenty of times I've hit the cube and it's gone right into the Snake....or on the other side and up into Sparky.

It really can't be the same to hit the cube vs the ball. If it were, they would have left the ball in on the LE design. The ball is round so only very straight on hits cause balls to float back where the magnet could grab the ball. This type of shot is infrequent. On the LE, it is designed to send the ball back at the magnet. This is the frequent result of the shot. On the LE, you can sometimes combo a ricochet from plate to snake but it's very hard to do and usually done by accident. This is by design or (again) the magnet couldn't reliably catch the ball. On the pro, you can reliably aim for the ball to snake combo. Ball to sparky is harder but happens frequently.

Remember, I had both pro and LE in my house together for several days making this comparison before settling on the pro. Unless someone has played a few hours on both games they may not know what one offers over the other. It's really not the same.

#595 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I can't think of any ball saver being added to any Stern based on "customer requests".

I wouldn't know, I'm not really versed in the Stern history, but this is Lyman, what he does is what Lyman does right? He just strikes me as the kind of guy who does what makes sense, and what makes his games better. Which is why he (supposedly) keeps working on his code from home for years after the games are released.

Anyways, I don't know him, so I won't speculate further, I just thought it was interesting that it seems like the closest thing to a "universal" request after the new code. Clearly some people think ball savers are cheap or cheating or something, but as long as it's an option, even if it defaults to off, seems okay to me. I wouldn't feel embarrassed to turn it on on my game at home personally.

#596 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I don't think this will matter. What will matter is that one the pro the shots to the captive ball almost never come directly backwards. It'll be almost impossible to actually lock balls. I'd love to hear how this turns out. If good, and I'm wrong about the above, I'll buy premium.

Ultimately I get few if any locks off a captive ball hit anyway... I really doubt my lock frequency will drop with a geometry change as most of my locks come from random roll overs and snake jaws. My bet is Stern had good intentions of that cube fixing things I don't see it working well as it is so why not try a few changes.

It's ultimately a minor part to trial and error a few ideas. Just have to get my butt in gear.

#597 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Disk restart on Tron isn't a ball saver but a similar gripe that was implemented after a few players mentioned it I understand.

I don't see this specific one happening though.

#598 10 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Sorry to bust everyone's bubble, but that is default TOPS scoring that has been in every SAM game ever made (and also most of the late-model Whitestars). It has nothing to do with the default high scores of the game itself, and all 5 scores are set low to ensure people that actually play the game in TOPS mode get to enter their names. It's not like I didn't work there for 9 years. I guess they're taking a dig/slam at Joe Blackwell too, huh?
Honestly this just makes me feel sorry for you guys trying to dig up dramas.

What was perceived as a joke is drama? All business and sense over there at JJP. Can we discuss what makes us feel sorry for you guys now?

#599 10 years ago

Disk restart on Tron isn't a ball saver but a similar gripe that was implemented after a few players mentioned it I understand.
I don't see this specific one happening though.

I do.

#600 10 years ago
Quoted from vex:

the ball will eject on command when both flippers are pressed simultaneously.

Yes but that's got nothing to do with the fact it's unannounced if you don't do that. Rushing and fast forwarding animations/award delays aren't what most control players (nor myself) usually do. That's frankly usually where I get myself in trouble by rushing things.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 149.00
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

There are 809 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/met-code-15-is-up/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.