DSC02406.jpg
DSC02408.jpg
DSC02394.JPG
DSC02393.JPG
DSC02395.JPG
$T2eC16ZHJHoE9n3KftmcBQss!YUCwQ~~60_14.jpg
$T2eC16FHJHwE9n8igsLzBQss!w7)yQ~~60_14.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Decided to add a few simple and inexpensive mods to my TFTC for fun. First up, added a red 'lens' in front of the DMD to make it look evil (like BSD's). First pic is the standard amber DMD from a JP, which is basically the same as TFTC uses:

DSC02249.jpgDSC02249.jpg

And pics with the red lens installed:

DSC02244.jpgDSC02244.jpg

The blood dripping scores benefit the most:

DSC02247.jpgDSC02247.jpg

Total cost: $2.31

#2 11 years ago

Second was to add ground effect LED lighting to the bottom of the cab. I went with the color-changing LED kit from Ikea. I think they market it as a backlighting kit for your LCD, LED or Plasma TV. Works well under a pin. First I installed the four led strips, adapter, junction box and controller to the bottom of the cab, strapping all wiring and cords tight to the bottom for a clean look which can only be seen from below:

DSC02267.jpgDSC02267.jpg DSC02253.jpgDSC02253.jpg DSC02266.jpgDSC02266.jpg DSC02255.jpgDSC02255.jpg DSC02254.jpgDSC02254.jpg

#3 11 years ago

After about an hour under the pin, I was finally able to crawl out and turn it on for the first time.

DSC02260.jpgDSC02260.jpg
DSC02257.jpgDSC02257.jpg
DSC02259.jpgDSC02259.jpg

It really adds a lot of ambiance to the pin and to the room in general. My son liked it so much he just had to make the space underneath his fort soon after installation:

DSC02250.jpgDSC02250.jpg
DSC02251.jpgDSC02251.jpg
DSC02252.jpgDSC02252.jpg

#4 11 years ago

Nice game Phet. Going to put some 22s on it next?

Looks good but you have a gremlin under the cab.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from HFK:

Nice game Phet. Going to put some 22s on it next?
Looks good but you have a gremlin under the cab.

After I took these pics he wanted to have a picnic under the TFTC. It was me, him, Godzilla, the Thing, The Hulk, Mechagodzilla and Rex from A Toy Story. Best picnic I ever had.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Phetishboy:

After I took these pics he wanted to have a picnic under the TFTC. It was me, him, Godzilla, the Thing, The Hulk, Mechagodzilla and Rex from A Toy Story. Best picnic I ever had.

Ha sounds fun!

#7 11 years ago

Looks like your having fun with it. Keep doing more so I have ideas when I actually get my hands on one as I have been searching like a madman.

#8 11 years ago

I think Phet is going to have lots of fun since he got into pins. You should see what he has done with arcade games so I fully expect to see some really cool pins from him.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Looks like your having fun with it. Keep doing more so I have ideas when I actually get my hands on one as I have been searching like a madman.

What about Jon Exidy's which is only like one state away? I thought you were buying that one?

#10 11 years ago

Really came out nice! I love the red lens and with the red lighting under, it looks perfect.

#11 11 years ago

That's pretty cool!

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Really came out nice! I love the red lens and with the red lighting under, it looks perfect.

I always wondered how that was done and it's a nice touch for something different.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Phetishboy:

What about Jon Exidy's which is only like one state away? I thought you were buying that one?

How is the speaker hum on your game?

I emailed him the first time I saw him indicate on another TFTC thread he had one for sale. Of course since I am out of state and can’t see or play the pin I asked a bunch of questions and for many details. Before I received a reply a few days later it was posted on pinside for sale. I then emailed thinking I would have first shot to get me all the details about the game. The game was posted with pictures that I could not view until I got home. I called him and emailed him that I was very interested. He emailed me with some answers on version of Rom and two additional pictures of the inside wiring and back glass wiring I requested. He also mentioned there was another buyer interested as much as me locally. I called and left him a voice message which did not say his name but just went straight to message. I got an email back indicating a potential buyer was on his way and if he did not get it he would email me back. Then I receive an email later in the day sorry game was sold. I guess it’s for the better because I had a good pinsider out of the blue looking out for me & a local pinsider email with additional technical questions after they viewed the pictures to ask him to see if there were additional issues with the game they noticed.” I was told to ask why the left slingshot kicker appears to be locked on in the only picture of it available. Looks like all the plastics behind the drop targets are broken. Also looks like one of the pop bumper skirts is chipped up. I may be wrong on all this, but I'd try to get some better, focused pictures just to be sure.” Oh well I know patience is the key and I can wait for mine to find me even if my B-Day is Thursday.

#14 11 years ago

I want that LED kit. Can you please provide more info on that? Cost?

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Acampero:

I want that LED kit. Can you please provide more info on that? Cost?

Ikea sells it for $42.

#16 11 years ago

Where did u get the red lens?

#17 11 years ago

Well this one was actually just my temp fix. I bought red, transparent overhead projector material from Crafts Direct, cut a swath a little bigger than the DMD window and placed it between the DMD and the actual clear lens. I will be getting a new red lens cut at TAP Plastics in the future, but this works for now.

#18 11 years ago

Thanx. I didnt know if the Stern one fits TFTC. Good idea.

#19 11 years ago

I have a TFTC mask with red or blues eyes left i just sold my tales if any one needs i can ship to you 35 easy to wire up

Red_Eyes_Crypt.pngRed_Eyes_Crypt.png

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Turboderf:

I have a TFTC mask with red or blues eyes left i just sold my tales if any one needs i can ship to you 35 easy to wire up

I seriously just looked into doing this very thing this morning. Awesome.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from 7craig7:

Thanx. I didnt know if the Stern one fits TFTC. Good idea.

I heard its close but you have to use a nippers or a router to trim it in places.

#22 11 years ago

Hey Turboderf,

I love your mask with the red eyes. I may be interested in buying one. Or Would you be willing to describe how you did it?

Thanks,
Gabe

#23 11 years ago

no problem gabe just drill 2 small holes in the eyes and hot glue some LEDs in the eyes and wire to the coin door light maybe a hour of your time i wired mine to the start button so it would flash it very cool at night goodluck

#24 11 years ago

nice spooky pinball sticker.

2 weeks later
#25 11 years ago

I came across a picture of this game with a Green X-Pin LED Display installed ($300 value) in it which seemed pretty cool. I finally purchased my TFTC game and will have it soon but and been told the DMD is pretty new so I won't be replacing it. I have seen this LED display in CFTBL as well which is a nice touch.

$T2eC16FHJHwE9n8igsLzBQss!w7)yQ~~60_14.jpg$T2eC16FHJHwE9n8igsLzBQss!w7)yQ~~60_14.jpg $T2eC16ZHJHoE9n3KftmcBQss!YUCwQ~~60_14.jpg$T2eC16ZHJHoE9n3KftmcBQss!YUCwQ~~60_14.jpg

#26 11 years ago

Been working mine too

#27 11 years ago

Finally got my red legs and blue pincab protectors together. These are gonna look sweet installed:

DSC02395.JPGDSC02395.JPG DSC02393.JPGDSC02393.JPG DSC02394.JPGDSC02394.JPG

#28 11 years ago

What do pinbal protectors do? I ask because whenever a leg has been taken off, the wood is already pressed in. What do these cab protectors do if the wood is already damaged?

Just curious - I honestly don't know \_O_/ .

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

What do pinbal protectors do? I ask because whenever a leg has been taken off, the wood is already pressed in. What do these cab protectors do if the wood is already damaged?
Just curious - I honestly don't know \_O_/ .

They provide a larger surface area for the pressure of the tightened legs to be spread over. Actually, I just use them because I think they look cool.

#30 11 years ago

Very Cool mod's bro ,,, I dig the Red Leg's ,,

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Very Cool mod's bro ,,, I dig the Red Leg's ,,

Thanks man. I think so too. Just waiting on the red lockdown bar, then I gotta decide what to do with the side rails. I'm thinking blood dripping down over the black powdercoat would be cool.

#32 11 years ago

And installed:

DSC02408.jpgDSC02408.jpg
DSC02406.jpgDSC02406.jpg
// Error: Image 56605 not found //
DSC02401.jpgDSC02401.jpg

#33 11 years ago

No chrome exhaust tip? Curb feelers?

On a serious note, never seen a TFTC that looks quite like yours! Enjoy it!

#34 11 years ago

Please let me know where to get red lens?

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Please let me know where to get red lens?

He answered in a post but it was not easy to spot.

Quoted from Phetishboy:

Well this one was actually just my temp fix. I bought red, transparent overhead projector material from Crafts Direct, cut a swath a little bigger than the DMD window and placed it between the DMD and the actual clear lens. I will be getting a new red lens cut at TAP Plastics in the future, but this works for now.

#36 11 years ago

I got my Lockdown bar back from Terry. Damn it looks good:

DSC02419.jpgDSC02419.jpg DSC02418.jpgDSC02418.jpg DSC02417.jpgDSC02417.jpg

#37 11 years ago

I have always enjoyed your work Phet but the siderails look kind of out of place now. Either the lockdown bar was one step too far or the rails need attention, just doesn't look quite right to me. Would still love to have it or pretty much any of your games you fixed up though.

#38 11 years ago

Oh the rails will be altered, never fear. I like to do things in steps. Check out my Jurassic Park Mod thread. As I mentioned earlier, I am gonna experiment a little. Blood dripping down over the black could be pretty cool.

#39 11 years ago

Very nice! Definitely the best looking TFTC I've seen, well done!

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from johnc714:

Very nice! Definitely the best looking TFTC I've seen, well done!

Hey thanks, it's getting there. I've got a long way to go.

#41 11 years ago

It seems too bright for TFTC for me. Needs to be darker.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

It seems too bright for TFTC for me. Needs to be darker.

The flash on the clear coat makes it look brighter than it is. It's a pretty deep blood red, which is what I wanted. Once the side rails are done, it will all tie together, just like my JP.

#43 11 years ago

Finally got the back legs and protectors on. Man having 3 little kids really makes it hard to get things done in a timely fashion. Oh well, side rails are next.

DSC02446.jpgDSC02446.jpg

#44 11 years ago

Color also looks off to me, like not a matching shade of red..would look better with a darker red like on the translite behind the title...

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Color also looks off to me, like not a matching shade of red..would look better with a darker red like on the translite behind the title...

I think it looks good with the word 'TALES' and his red hood on the sideart. That's the red I'm trying to match.

#46 11 years ago

I like the red on the game. My side rails are beat to hell I think I may go that route with mine after seeing yours. I'm not too sure about the color combo on your walls though I think we need a full room shot

#47 11 years ago

I like the red on the game. My side rails are beat to hell I think I may go that route with mine after seeing yours. I'm not too sure about the color combo on your walls though I think we need a full room shot

These pics are from when I first painted it, before the pins:

SSL11285.jpgSSL11285.jpg SSL11286.jpgSSL11286.jpg SSL11287.jpgSSL11287.jpg

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from ssbodyman:

You can pretty well fit stern armor guard side rails onto a data east.

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

You can pretty well fit stern armor guard side rails onto a data east.

Yeah I thought I had heard that and my original plan was to get the stern ones and put them on my x-files to cover up some pretty bad wear around the buttons,then put the old ones on TFTC. Ill probably do that and then mess around and bondo up the dented ones and paint them red at work.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 18.95
$ 64.00
$ 26.50
$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/messed-with-my-tftc-this-weekend and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.