(Topic ID: 331479)

Merry Go Round factory error?

By EMsInKC

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Match predictor (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

My Merry Go Round, like many games of the era, uses the 0-9 unit to ring the one point bell. It steps via a switch on the N relay and via a n/c motor 2C.

The issue is when the motor starts up on a five point score, you get one step, then a pause, then three more steps and the cycle ends. The pause is happening because the switch drops into the indent on the C level cam. It then closes again and you get normal stepping.

On my other games of the era that use the unit to ring the bell, the switch is at 4C, which is a long dwell and only drops out at the end of the cycle. The effect of this all is you only get four bells instead of five, but the game scores correctly. I jumpered the switch and now get all five rings.

Why would they use a normally closed switch that they know is going to drop out before it does what it is supposed to do? I have to believe they goofed here?

Thoughts?

#2 1 year ago

I believe it was to make the 0-9 unit harder to track and calculate the match at the end of the game. It was a way to better "randomize" the match. I think my Rack A Ball does the same thing.

/Mark

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from MarkG:I believe it was to make the 0-9 unit harder to track and calculate the match at the end of the game. It was a way to better "randomize" the match. I think my Rack A Ball does the same thing.
    /Mark

Wow. I think you would have to be a card counter to do that but it's as good an explanation as anything I can come up with. I wish they had thought to just use a one point bell instead. I had never seen this before. Poor ringing from those units, yes, but not a total missing ring. It bugs you when you're not used to it.

Thanks for the explanation MarkG

3 weeks later
    #4 1 year ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

I believe it was to make the 0-9 unit harder to track and calculate the match at the end of the game. It was a way to better "randomize" the match. I think my Rack A Ball does the same thing.
    /Mark

I stumbled across this last week, on Bank-A-Ball, while trying to fix the bell for 5 point scoring. Saw the difference between the point scoring and bell ringing on the schematic and with a test lamp. Turns out my issue was too much travel on the clapper - it rested on the bell when the coil was energized.

But... then I checked out a few other machines’ schematics around the BaB timeframe and found a suprising variety of techniques to do, what John Osborne calls, “Match Mixing”. Of the six machines I looked at, there were five different techniques used… from point filtering to injecting additional signals such as a pulse from the 50 point relay and from the game feature circuits. Some machines drive the 0-9 unit with the 10 point relay instead of the 1 point relay...

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaMoib:

I stumbled across this last week, on Bank-A-Ball, while trying to fix the bell for 5 point scoring. Saw the difference between the point scoring and bell ringing on the schematic and with a test lamp. Turns out my issue was too much travel on the clapper - it rested on the bell when the coil was energized.
    But... then I checked out a few other machines’ schematics around the BaB timeframe and found a suprising variety of techniques to do, what John Osborne calls, “Match Mixing”. Of the six machines I looked at, there were five different techniques used… from point filtering to injecting additional signals such as a pulse from the 50 point relay and from the game feature circuits. Some machines drive the 0-9 unit with the 10 point relay instead of the 1 point relay...

I can't believe these guys wasted time thinking anyone seriously had the ability to count pulses during a five ball game and know where the match unit was. Talk about being paranoid.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

I can't believe these guys wasted time thinking anyone seriously had the ability to count pulses during a five ball game and know where the match unit was. Talk about being paranoid.

It's not difficult to predict the match number on games that don't randomize, and have perfectly operating score reels and steppers. At a recent show, I was showing someone how to do it, and most of the time we were able to accurately predict the match number.
    We also determined that sometimes it's impossible for the game to match, as the score reel and the number (hidden during game play) spotted by the match stepper, do not intersect. A person among us erroneously stated that the odds of matching are one in ten. That's not at all true. I guess in rare cases one could steal a replay by allowing the last ball to drain at an opportune moment, but I'd rather rely on skill to win a free game.

#7 1 year ago

Predicting matches was a thing...
    Match predictor (resized).jpgMatch predictor (resized).jpg

#8 1 year ago

Fascinating thread. Thanks to the OP and all those who shared their knowledge.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/merry-go-round-factory-error and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.