View topic image gallery

IMG_4811.JPG
IMG_4205.JPG
indoor-pub-and-bistro-tables.jpg
Mermaid-Ebay-Bidding.jpg
Treaty.jpg
Backglass.jpg
image-1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shapeshifter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 8 years ago

Crazy money for that playfield.

If it wasn't a Mermaid it would be worth $300 in that condition.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Yes, the million dollar question is what value do you place on it. And only legitimate buyers wanting it can answer that question.
As far as originality goes, I just bought a Criss Cross woodrail with a very nice cabinet and playfield, and was lucky enough to get a last repro bg from Shay and a set of plastics. So, it won't be original when it's done but nice. I think having a bad backglass and plastics is better than having a bad playfield because they may blend in a little better and still maintain most of the patina and not give it a new/old look as much. But, you also have to just have to take what's given to you sometimes........ If you drop a new playfield in a game that's shot, you've just resurrected another pinball for yourself and others to enjoy.
Just my .02

For me whilst I always prefer original it just isn't possible on many games and repro glasses on woodrails look fantastic. Much better than a shot to pieces original glass!

What I don't like is re-painted cabinets on 50's games - they just don't look right. On wedgeheads they look much better for some reason.

Your Criss Cross sounds like it will be real nice

#40 8 years ago

This game has mythical status and tons of 'perceived value' and kudos.

For me though, say Daisy May 1954, same production run of 600, has better art and massively better gameplay and is on the range of $3000 plus.

I would prefer Daisy May all day long. Collectors are funny sometimes but happens in every area of collecting.

Backglass.jpgBackglass.jpg
#43 8 years ago

Collector mentality is interesting for sure.

There was a Lovely Lucy 1954 on pinside last year that was in amazing original condition. Around 1/10th of what is wanted for this Mermaid. 700 made and a better player ( subjective ). Sat unsold for months.

Why? Collectors haven't deemed it as a 'must have' game.

I prefer to seek out gems that others haven't yet decided are the 'must have' games.

#69 8 years ago

I have bought a good few woodrails in the last 6 months as think the art and gameplay is second to none. That said I am under no illusion re value as they are trending downwards at the moment. I was too impatient to wait a few more years!

#102 8 years ago

Feel pretty certain buyer has a better p/f to put in this game - crazy otherwise.

Whilst it seems crazy money, this game to collectors is truly rare and desirable.

On the other hand better 50's titles ( playability ) , and as rare can be had for a 10th of this price. Now, that is even crazier

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shapeshifter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mermaid-up-for-bids-on-pinside?tu=shapeshifter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.