View topic image gallery

IMG_4811.JPG
IMG_4205.JPG
indoor-pub-and-bistro-tables.jpg
Mermaid-Ebay-Bidding.jpg
Treaty.jpg
Backglass.jpg
image-1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from jjpm:

Can someone please explain why this particular game is so valuable? Is this supposed to be a joke?

Low production. Hard to find in any condition. Gottlieb woodrail game with backglass animation.
I don't think there are any others with this feature. Has an aura about it among collectors that probably adds to the value. If you have one, you're the dude, so that's part of it. Is it worth that kind of money? We'll see. Value is what someone is willing to pay for it. I say no one goes 9K, but I could be wrong.

#29 8 years ago

What three games are they? "Mermaid" was made in 1951, so far fewer of them still exist compared to say, "Bristol Hills" which was produced 20 years later, but had a production run of only 110 units. Plus, rarity alone doesn't make a game valuable. There's a lot more to it; granted a big part of it is hype, but there are people who are willing to pay up for something that no one else has, provided it's something that's well known in collector circles and something that is desired by others in that collector circle.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

image-1.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Ok. I thought there might be others, but "Mermaid" is probably the first Gottlieb woodrail with back glass animation. The others are later and already into the metal leg era.

#95 8 years ago

Glad he got what he wanted because of all the abuse he took. Bottom line; something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Apparently, he knew what he had. In my opinion, many pins including many of the newer titles are grossly overpriced. And, it's not like they're rare or anything.
Even "rare" games like "TKO" do nothing for me. If I found one, I'd flip it in a second. It's just the market. Condition sometimes doesn't matter when it comes to something that's very collectible. Look at what some vintage Harley and Indian motorcycles go for, even if it's just a frame or rusted to crap. Same goes for pins. Surprised that many here don't realize that. Bad playfield, yeah, but it's a bleepin' "Mermaid". They don't grow on trees.

#97 8 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Must be nice to have that kind of money lying around just to buy one thrashed EM.
Ken

Yeah, it's nice. But lots of people have lots of crazy money. There's lots of thing I wouldn't spend on if I had loads of cash, but I'd have popped on that "Mermaid". But then again, I'm a hopeless pinhead!

#124 8 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

If somebody did pay that much they're freakin crazy.

Crazy is a relative term. To many people, those of us who collect pinball machines, or cars, or motorcycles, or Lionel trains, or whatever, and spend the money, time and effort to do what we do, we are all crazy!

#136 8 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

It's funny how many people walked right by this game to the W/B games at the VFW show and didn't know it was a 20k game. Not much love at the show for the old wood rails compared to the vip room.

But those who did know stopped and played a game or two!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mermaid-up-for-bids-on-pinside?tu=jrpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.