View topic image gallery

IMG_4811.JPG
IMG_4205.JPG
indoor-pub-and-bistro-tables.jpg
Mermaid-Ebay-Bidding.jpg
Treaty.jpg
Backglass.jpg
image-1.jpg

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 8 years ago

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

image-1.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Ok. I thought there might be others, but "Mermaid" is probably the first Gottlieb woodrail with back glass animation. The others are later and already into the metal leg era.

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Starting bid at $9,000

At that price I will just stick to the Mermen................cheaper and they sound great!

Cool tunes to to play while your playing your Surfer pins like a "Surf Side", right o-din?

Ken

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I would prefer Daisy May all day long.

Totally agree. BIG time.

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

At that price I will just stick to the Mermen................cheaper and they sound great!
Cool tunes to to play while your playing your Surfer pins like a "Surf Side", right o-din?
» YouTube video
Ken

Cool Grooves, but it may be a bit slow for playing pinball? Maybe it fits the floating of the ball on those old Wood Rails, but I need something a bit more up beat when I play pinball.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Cool Grooves, but it may be a bit slow for playing pinball? Maybe it fits the floating of the ball on those old Wood Rails, but I need something a bit more up beat when I play pinball.

Glad you liked that song, You should listen to the whole album Cactus Jack if you get the chance. There are faster surfer tunes on it as well. There are basically no vocals on the album except for some in the background which is very cool. A pretty well rounded album by the band that to me has a real upbeat Surfer feel to it.

Ken

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Totally agree. BIG time.

Daisy May is outstanding. What a kick for the kids back then. The fact it is still an excellent machine producing fun and pleasure 60 years later is its own testament. The un-paralleled artwork is more than..."Speshul", if you know what I mean. I hope Wizbang/Stern bring back a version of the DM with alligator flipper setup. Different and worthy of a repeat, if the Hillbillies wont be offended....LOL

Some say the 1950's was one of America's best decades. With the DM at the local malt shop, I can see why. Happy Memorial Day weekend.

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

It would be nice if the one guy with a repro play field and the one guy with a Mermaid for sale (that also happens to need a play field) could get together

#60 8 years ago

That is just Bat$hit crazy.

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

» YouTube video

That was your best ever, IMHO. 1970, 4th grade Van Hise Grade School, Madison Wisconsin, the sidewalks around 105 N. Whitney Way.......taking me wayyyyyy back. Those were the skates we shared and the key we lost!!

We need an O-Din, TOP TEN!!

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

That was your best ever, IMHO. 1970, 4th grade Van Hise Grade School, Madison Wisconsin, the sidewalks around 105 N. Whitney Way.......taking me wayyyyyy back. Those were the skates we shared and the key we lost!!
We need an O-Din, TOP TEN!!

I agree. I knew without even clicking exactly what song it was. You don't forget those things.

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from HFK:

You don't forget those things.

No matter how hard you try!!!

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from HFK:

I agree. I knew without even clicking exactly what song it was. You don't forget those things.

I am suspicious that was O-Din with the key and then the girl!!

When music made memories.....

#66 8 years ago

Now a separate post but like the ebay advert no specific info by seller on machine condition to support reserve.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-gottlieb-mermaid-pinball-machine

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

Now a separate post but like the ebay advert no specific info by seller on machine condition to support reserve.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-gottlieb-mermaid-pinball-machine

If I were him, I'd drop the reserve and take whatever I could get for it. There aren't that many people who collect woodrails and if the title wasn't desirable, that'd be a parts machine.

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from jjpm:

If I were him, I'd drop the reserve and take whatever I could get for it. There aren't that many people who collect woodrails and if the title wasn't desirable, that'd be a parts machine.

He started out at $16,000 on Craigslist last year and now he's taking offers starting at $9,000 on Pinside (not sure what his reserve is on ebay) so he's heading in the right direction........

#69 8 years ago

I have bought a good few woodrails in the last 6 months as think the art and gameplay is second to none. That said I am under no illusion re value as they are trending downwards at the moment. I was too impatient to wait a few more years!

#71 8 years ago

I don't think this guy is a pin guy. he only wants to get the most $$$ out of it that he can.
I bet his reserve is about 9k
he will have it for some time unless he comes down to around 4-5k even that is high imo

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

I bet his reserve is about 9k
he will have it for some time unless he comes down to around 4-5k even that is high imo

Never understood that kind of mentality if he really wants to sell, pin guy or not. If someone has something they got for nothing and know its rare and are not attached to the item, advertise the auction listing and let it go from there.

What happens a lot on Ebay is someone will come out of the woodwork with something perceived as rare and then someone else will come out of the woodwork with the same thing in much better shape. The market's trending down. Sell if you're not attached to the thing. Just ask anyone who "invested" in comic books, baseball cards, Cabbage Patch Kids or Beanie Babies.

#73 8 years ago

I think you're likely to still see "Reserve not met" when the auction goes off on ebay in a short while.

Perhaps the guy should've taken one of those fair offers he had on it before??

#74 8 years ago

$4509 with a couple minutes left......

#75 8 years ago

Sold $9000. It's a ton of money for what it is but I'm not surprised really. There is a whole world of collectors beyond the newsgroups.

#76 8 years ago

Wow! A couple of snipers out there. Was at $4509.09 for last 5 minutes. Jumped to $5109. in final 10 seconds. Then finished off with the $9000 bid / reserve met. That's a lot of Ebay Fees.

#77 8 years ago

Wow... nine grand!

A lot of money for a machine in that poor of condition.

But ya never know... somebody might have wanted it to upgrade their cabinet.

#78 8 years ago

Damn. He got $9K for it on eBay.

Last second bidding between two bidders doubles the price.

Mermaid-Ebay-Bidding.jpgMermaid-Ebay-Bidding.jpg

#79 8 years ago

Nope, wasn't me....
I tried but my pockets weren't deep enough

#80 8 years ago

Looks to me like the 2nd highest bidder was a human keyboard bidding and the winner was a Snipe Service doing the bidding in the final seconds (8100 and 9000 bid).

Sad to admit it but it looks like the seller knew his price point at $9K.

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from waltrr:

Nope, wasn't me....
I tried but my pockets weren't deep enough

Sometimes when one sells at a healthy number like this another one shows up shortly after. You can hope anyway.

#82 8 years ago

With an original run of 600, I wouldn't be surprised at all if more of these surface in the next few months.

#83 8 years ago

Man, time to hit some garage sales and find a Mermaid. Congrats to the seller.

#84 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Sometimes when one sells at a healthy number like this another one shows up shortly after. You can hope anyway.

So true...

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Looks to me like the 2nd highest bidder was a human keyboard bidding and the winner was a Snipe Service doing the bidding in the final seconds (8100 and 9000 bid).

Must be nice to have that kind of money lying around just to buy one thrashed EM.

Ken

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

So true
And now my new Mermaid playfield heads back to the closet and hopefully for not as long as it's been in there already

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

I thought the same thing and guessing the new owner is on Pinside too.
Congrats!!

Edited actually after a second thought, if the buyer put $10,000 in his sniper, it would have sold at the reserve of 9,
Sorry, I'm a bit shocked and wasn't thinking correctly, I was bidding on that dang thing too

#88 8 years ago

Check out the top bid o...n96 - for a moment odin I thought you had it!!

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

Sorry, that's not me! The next time I have that kind of money to spend on a pinball machine, I may just go on vacation. This is hard work, don't ya know...

#90 8 years ago

boy I was wrong!
I know if you find the right buyer you can get top dollar. I guess he had the right buyer

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from waltrr:

So true
And now my new Mermaid playfield heads back to the closet and hopefully for not as long as it's been in there already

I don't know if I would put it in the closet just yet. If that game sold for $9000.00 I bet you could sell the New Playfield for $5000.00 easily. You could buy a few nice 50's games for that kind of money. Just my 2 cents.

Ken

#92 8 years ago

Waltrr has a 5k+ playfield for that person.

Edit: wow, great minds think alike.

#93 8 years ago

Well, I just got back from the hardware store with some playfields. Going to throw them in some cabs and wire up some electronics -- anyone want in at $4500 before they go on eBay??

indoor-pub-and-bistro-tables.jpgindoor-pub-and-bistro-tables.jpg
#94 8 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

Think that he would of preferred Odin69 instead!

The winner bidder is actually e***n96.

#95 8 years ago

Glad he got what he wanted because of all the abuse he took. Bottom line; something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Apparently, he knew what he had. In my opinion, many pins including many of the newer titles are grossly overpriced. And, it's not like they're rare or anything.
Even "rare" games like "TKO" do nothing for me. If I found one, I'd flip it in a second. It's just the market. Condition sometimes doesn't matter when it comes to something that's very collectible. Look at what some vintage Harley and Indian motorcycles go for, even if it's just a frame or rusted to crap. Same goes for pins. Surprised that many here don't realize that. Bad playfield, yeah, but it's a bleepin' "Mermaid". They don't grow on trees.

#96 8 years ago

I can't help but be skeptical, I wonder if this thing will come up for sale in the near future.

#97 8 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Must be nice to have that kind of money lying around just to buy one thrashed EM.
Ken

Yeah, it's nice. But lots of people have lots of crazy money. There's lots of thing I wouldn't spend on if I had loads of cash, but I'd have popped on that "Mermaid". But then again, I'm a hopeless pinhead!

#98 8 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I can't help but be skeptical, I wonder if this thing will come up for sale in the near future.

I suspect there is more in this than we know & what some are letting on. No one, in my view, pays $9k for a machine with a ratted pf without having something up their sleeve!

#99 8 years ago

I'm shocked it went so high, but does show that the market will dictate the price. I was really hoping walterr got it, the last (as far as we know) of Clay's playfields would have found a great home.

#100 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

the last (as far as we know)

There are a few more out there.

LTG : )™

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mermaid-up-for-bids-on-pinside/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.