Topic Stats

• 138 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by fantasygoat
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4811.JPG
IMG_4205.JPG
indoor-pub-and-bistro-tables.jpg
Mermaid-Ebay-Bidding.jpg
Treaty.jpg
Backglass.jpg
image-1.jpg

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 4 years ago

This is the one near St. Louis with the worn out playfield that was on Craigslist:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/20471

Starting bid at $9,000

#2 4 years ago

WOW! Am I missing something or is that a little pricey!
I'll stick with this one for now....

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from jodini:

WOW! Am I missing something or is that a little pricey!
I'll stick with this one for now....
» YouTube video

If someone has one of the repro playfields laying around that Clay had made for Memaid it would be worth a lot more.........

Just found out there's a more interesting thread that the seller auto posted when he placed his ad: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-gottlieb-mermaid-pinball-machine

#4 4 years ago

Crazy money for that playfield.

If it wasn't a Mermaid it would be worth $300 in that condition.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

If someone has one of the repro playfields laying around that Clay had made for Memaid it would be worth a lot more.........

Would it really? I mean, I'm sure it would look lovely, but it's not an original then, is that truly worth $9k at that point?

#6 4 years ago

Well I think that one nicely restored one sold for $21k. So yeah, $9k isn't out of line. Well, to regular guys it is but that doesn't mean there isn't a market.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Would it really? I mean, I'm sure it would look lovely, but it's not an original then, is that truly worth $9k at that point?

Good point as usual.

There is a couple of money line ceilings for sure here with a Mermaid. If it is all original and pristine the value is off the chart currently. A Clay new play-field installed and its still very valuable and has big value. We know a Clay play-field exists per the other thread and Walt's pictures so I hope the deal gets done.

I have lately agonized just that point on some lesser valued games I am restoring. There is a current market for restored rare games. If some one takes a 'dog' of a game and restores it perfectly with modern techniques and materials I for one am willing to pay possibly as much as a mint but worn original. I don't plan to sell my games to museums.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yes, the million dollar question is what value do you place on it. And only legitimate buyers wanting it can answer that question.

As far as originality goes, I just bought a Criss Cross woodrail with a very nice cabinet and playfield, and was lucky enough to get a last repro bg from Shay and a set of plastics. So, it won't be original when it's done but nice. I think having a bad backglass and plastics is better than having a bad playfield because they may blend in a little better and still maintain most of the patina and not give it a new/old look as much. But, you also have to just have to take what's given to you sometimes........ If you drop a new playfield in a game that's shot, you've just resurrected another pinball for yourself and others to enjoy.

Just my .02

#9 4 years ago

I'm not willing to spend the time on this computer to do the research... but the guy on this site who had the new repro playfield... now's your chance to get the game you need to finally install that playfield.

Good luck!

#10 4 years ago

I have a repro backglass in my Abra Ca Dabra, with a repainted cabinet. I'm not a stickler for "original". But when you're paying $9k for an EM I think you can get pickier ...

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I have a repro backglass in my Abra Ca Dabra, with a repainted cabinet. I'm not a stickler for "original". But when you're paying $9k for an EM I think you can get pickier ...

I hear what you're saying. We know the last two decent Mermaids went for more than $14,000 but what is this worth with a bad playfield and no spares available? What other similar Mermaid sale can we compare it to?

#12 4 years ago

I think its worth it. I sold mine a few years ago for 15K It was in comparable condition but I sold it with one of those repro PF. I couldn't decide if should put the new PF in it or leave it original. The repro playfield looked a bit too new in my opinion. When I received the offer for it, I had to let her go.. I was happy and the buyer was happy. Here are some pictures of it: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-mermaid-price-check/page/3

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Yes, the million dollar question is what value do you place on it. And only legitimate buyers wanting it can answer that question.
As far as originality goes, I just bought a Criss Cross woodrail with a very nice cabinet and playfield, and was lucky enough to get a last repro bg from Shay and a set of plastics. So, it won't be original when it's done but nice. I think having a bad backglass and plastics is better than having a bad playfield because they may blend in a little better and still maintain most of the patina and not give it a new/old look as much. But, you also have to just have to take what's given to you sometimes........ If you drop a new playfield in a game that's shot, you've just resurrected another pinball for yourself and others to enjoy.
Just my .02

For me whilst I always prefer original it just isn't possible on many games and repro glasses on woodrails look fantastic. Much better than a shot to pieces original glass!

What I don't like is re-painted cabinets on 50's games - they just don't look right. On wedgeheads they look much better for some reason.

Your Criss Cross sounds like it will be real nice

#15 4 years ago

Can someone please explain why this particular game is so valuable? Is this supposed to be a joke?

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

when you're paying $9k for an EM

I can think of some alternate endings to that quote...

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from jjpm:

Can someone please explain why this particular game is so valuable?

Probably has something to do with all the topless ladies on the artwork.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from jjpm:

Can someone please explain why this particular game is so valuable? Is this supposed to be a joke?

Low production. Hard to find in any condition. Gottlieb woodrail game with backglass animation.
I don't think there are any others with this feature. Has an aura about it among collectors that probably adds to the value. If you have one, you're the dude, so that's part of it. Is it worth that kind of money? We'll see. Value is what someone is willing to pay for it. I say no one goes 9K, but I could be wrong.

#19 4 years ago

This is the BBB of Em's it is not wanted for it's game play it is a "Look what I have " type of game.

I would not pay the premium $$$ for this title, like I said the game play is average at best. But if I had the chance, I would pay $2000 - $2500 for this very machine Just so I can say " Look what I have "

You never know what price this might bring. there are a couple of repo playfields still floating around so who knows

GLWS

Brian Lenker

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Bribo13:

But if I had the chance, I would pay $2000 - $2500 for this very machine Just so I can say " Look what I have "

If I could buy this for $2000-$2500 it would be to see if I could find someone who would pay $9000 for it.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from reppie:

I think its worth it. I sold mine a few years ago for 15K It was in comparable condition but I sold it with one of those repro PF. I couldn't decide if should put the new PF in it or leave it original. The repro playfield looked a bit too new in my opinion. When I received the offer for it, I had to let her go.. I was happy and the buyer was happy. Here are some pictures of it: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-mermaid-price-check/page/3

Great post & pics reppie-you have a great line up of machines.

#22 4 years ago

denver.craigslist.org link

This is SURE to sell for $6200 so the Mermaid is a steal at 9. (another awesome Mountain West pinball price).

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

" target="_blank">denver.craigslist.org link
This is SURE to sell for $6200 ...

I have a King Kool...awesome!

#24 4 years ago

Like everything else... supply and demand.

#25 4 years ago

Like so many rare games that have a crazy price and mediocre game play, it's a dick measuring contest in the final analysis. I have one, and you don't.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Low production. Hard to find in any condition. Gottlieb woodrail game with backglass animation.
I don't think there are any others with this feature. Has an aura about it among collectors that probably adds to the value. If you have one, you're the dude, so that's part of it. Is it worth that kind of money? We'll see. Value is what someone is willing to pay for it. I say no one goes 9K, but I could be wrong.

I have 3 games in my collection with runs much lower than 600. If I could get 9K for any of them, they'd be sold in a second. One of them came from someone who bought their game from Restoration Hardware, then practically begged me to take it when the machine failed to turn on a month after buying. I didn't pay anywhere near the price they bought it for from Restoration Hardware. Live and learn.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from jjpm:

Restoration Hardware

What game does Resto Hardware sell??

#29 4 years ago

What three games are they? "Mermaid" was made in 1951, so far fewer of them still exist compared to say, "Bristol Hills" which was produced 20 years later, but had a production run of only 110 units. Plus, rarity alone doesn't make a game valuable. There's a lot more to it; granted a big part of it is hype, but there are people who are willing to pay up for something that no one else has, provided it's something that's well known in collector circles and something that is desired by others in that collector circle.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

now on ebay also.....
ebay.com link » Gottlieb Mermaid Pinball Machine

Seller assumed a new ID for this sale-kevin63031 > kevin32137

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Gottlieb woodrail game with backglass animation.
I don't think there are any others with this feature.

image-1.jpg

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

What three games are they? "Mermaid" was made in 1951, so far fewer of them still exist compared to say, "Bristol Hills" which was produced 20 years later, but had a production run of only 110 units. Plus, rarity alone doesn't make a game valuable. There's a lot more to it; granted a big part of it is hype, but there are people who are willing to pay up for something that no one else has, provided it's something that's well known in collector circles and something that is desired by others in that collector circle.

Bally Attention
Chicago Coin O Boy
United Prize Bowler

The last one had a production of 1 and was the first game ever to use score reels instead of BG lighting powered by steppers. It was an early run prototype.

As for animated backglasses, besides for what o-din already posted, I have Sunshine that has an animated backglass. There were quite a few games from the woodrail era that had various gimmicks.

Granted, I haven't been following rgp for more than a decade and am somewhat out of touch with the interweb end of EM Pinball, but 9K seems very out of whack for any EM, except for maybe the most extreme collectors of which I am not one.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

What game does Resto Hardware sell??

They sold dozens of games regionally this past Christmas, mostly to people who make tons of money and know nothing about EM pinballs.

#34 4 years ago

Speaking of Resto Hardware, looks like they have a very nice Universe at the special price of $3395, but compared to what you get for 9k with this Mermaid it does seem like a bargain.

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod4810022&categoryId=cat5090025

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

image-1.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

I have a Hi Diver, Miss Annabelle and also the Universe and all 3 have similar backglass animation.
Also made an offer on the Mermaid but.... not enough. One day my playfield will find a home.
I'm in no rush.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Speaking of Resto Hardware, looks like they have a very nice Universe at the special price of $3395, but compared to what you get for 9k with this Mermaid it does seem like a bargain.
https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod4810022&categoryId=cat5090025

Wow very nice machine!!

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from waltrr:

Also made an offer on the Mermaid but.... not enough. One day my playfield will find a home.
I'm in no rush.

Shame. I was hoping you could get to put them together.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from waltrr:

Wow very nice machine!!

If I didn't have one just a nice I would be tempted. $3400 might seem high for an EM, but in my book it is still a better deal than what that money gets you in a modern game. Plus I like vintage machines better. That Williams Kings they have looks fairly nice as well. They do get titles you don't see every day.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

now on ebay also.....

$2,617 now on ebay

#40 4 years ago

This game has mythical status and tons of 'perceived value' and kudos.

For me though, say Daisy May 1954, same production run of 600, has better art and massively better gameplay and is on the range of $3000 plus.

I would prefer Daisy May all day long. Collectors are funny sometimes but happens in every area of collecting.

Backglass.jpg
#41 4 years ago

Love that Daisy May.

Dancing Dolls and Hi-Diver are my woodrails with animation. Would like to add an earlier 50's game sometime.

#42 4 years ago

never played a mermaid but owned a daisy may and it was a good game. those clam flipper are very hard to master.

#43 4 years ago

Collector mentality is interesting for sure.

There was a Lovely Lucy 1954 on pinside last year that was in amazing original condition. Around 1/10th of what is wanted for this Mermaid. 700 made and a better player ( subjective ). Sat unsold for months.

Why? Collectors haven't deemed it as a 'must have' game.

I prefer to seek out gems that others haven't yet decided are the 'must have' games.

#44 4 years ago

Lovely Lucy! I used to have one of those! Fun game!

But I do stand corrected on that Mermaid....price is still going up on ebay! NUTS!

#45 4 years ago

Can't imagine 'any' collector wanting this game with that worn 'out of its mind' playfield.

Unless you 'did' have another playfield to stick in there.

Or if you were good with fixing the existing with one giant water-slide decal. : )

#47 4 years ago

That playfield looks like it was sanded at some point.

#48 4 years ago

It probably was with a rusty ball. It would be nice if the one guy with a repro play field and the one guy with a Mermaid for sale (that also happens to need a play field) could get together and compromise. It seems a game very worthy of restoration.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

It would be nice if the one guy with a repro play field and the one guy with a Mermaid for sale (that also happens to need a play field) could get together and compromise.

Treaty.jpg

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

It probably was with a rusty ball. It would be nice if the one guy with a repro play field and the one guy with a Mermaid for sale (that also happens to need a play field) could get together and compromise. It seems a game very worthy of restoration.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 35.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 50.00
$ 229.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 9,500.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 27.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 149.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 79.99
$ 30.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
T-shirt- Grey Color Out of stock
Project Pinball Charity
$ 38.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 9.99
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside