Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-95.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from Schwaggs:

Some great information, thanks!
    I have been using the GPE 1.5F memory caps in my machines but was getting only 7-10 days of backup on my System 11 machine so I ordered a 4F cap and it has been working fine so far. I use straight jumpers over the blocking diode and haven't had any problems with that setup.
    The traces on the WPC board are much smaller than the System 6 and 11 boards so I will try using a 56 ohm resistor and report what I get. I will not be able to report how long the 4F cap lasts since I am playing the heck out of the game at the moment. I will post back when installed within the next few days or so...

Just for reference, the resistor on a Bally board is 270 ohms between the battery and the RAM. Nobody changes that resistor, so 270 ohms would be a fine value to use.

1 week later
    #16 10 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

i've been experimenting with a Demo man and a cr2032 coin style battery. installed it about 6 months ago and it's still holding. that's like half way between doing a remote AA battery mod and a memory cap i guess.

After seeing you do this a few times on Ninja videos i am now using all coin style batteries on all my boards. I really like that setup, cheap, easy, effective. My -35 and s6 test boards have been going on at least a year now with cr2032. I have probably sent out 100 MPUs with them installed and no reports of early failure yet. I just do bally and wms SS though.

I did put a cr2032 in a TSPP to test as well. That is only going on 2 months though. We'll see.

9 months later
    #19 9 years ago

There is a blocking diode already on the sys 11 board. You have to add a diode on a games that used a rechargeable batter, like early bally.

I always check to make sure the diode isnt shorted when i install a cr2032.

I am trying a cr2032 in a gtb 80b. I noticed the battery powers a few more ICs besides the RAM. 2 months or so and no problems yet. Voltage is steady.

#22 9 years ago

The ram is hard soldered in and the real time clock wouldn't run.

Quoted from jamieflowers:just out of curiosity wouldnt it be easier to install one of those Ram chips that doesnt need power? I think Boryguard sells them.

6 months later
    #32 8 years ago

For what its worth in my real world playing around. A 6264 ram holds data at 2v. Battery or cap under 2v and you start to get factory settings.

A 5101 RAM holds data even lower. It will hold data at 1v and over. Also the 5101 RAM scrambles pretty slow. After 30 minutes of no battery, in a bally game half of the data will still be saved right.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/memory-capacitor-fans?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.