(Topic ID: 325191)

Melting Rubbers!

By Coyote

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 1 year ago

Okay guys, I'm really confused. WTF.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    Untitled (resized).jpgUntitled (resized).jpg

What the hull happened here? I mean, if temps got SO hot to melt them, then ALL of 'em would be melted, yes? Not just.. odd locations like this?

What's the best way to clean up this .. melted rubber (that seems hard as a rock, now) off the playfield?

#2 1 year ago

Is this recent damage, on a machine you know the history of? I.e. the machine was fine and then you or someone else came in one day and found it like that? Or are you looking at a machine that's new to you, and the damage occurred at some unknown point in time prior to your first time seeing the machine?

If the former: is the machine located near a window? Any chance there's some window glass nearby that might have focused sunlight and heated the rubber up? Or maybe a hanging decorative prism/crystal/etc. If the latter, I guess the "why/how did this happen" isn't all that important.

As far as cleaning up, I don't know. I guess someone who knows playfield restoration can give better advice. Maybe the "compressed air upside down" trick can freeze the rubber hard enough it will pop off on its own, or at least with just some gentle persuasion. Or maybe a light touch with a heat gun could soften it enough to clean it up without damaging the paint underneath.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from pete_d:

If the latter, I guess the "why/how did this happen" isn't all that important.

The latter, actually. And while, no, it doesn't really matter, I am ... curious. I've never seen anything like this before.
    I AM wanting to know how to clean it up though.. preferabl without ruining the field.

I'll be a monkey's uncle, thanks!
    Interesting, this is also a Gottlieb, BUT - the flippers are fine. In fact, they're still 'bouncy' It was only a few places, pictured. Heh.

#5 1 year ago

Maybe rubbers broke on the previous owner and tried to "weld" the rubbers back to life

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Interesting, this is also a Gottlieb, BUT - the flippers are fine. In fact, they're still 'bouncy' It was only a few places, pictured. Heh.

Hi uncle!

Anyway. It’s possible previous owner had the machine sitting by a window or some other obstruction saved the rubbers from damage. Maybe someone just did a partial rerubber too.

It’s possible degradation caused part of this but heat from sunlight more likely. Each day the sun wears it down a bit more.

I’ve probably seen this on 8-10 different games.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

The latter, actually. And while, no, it doesn't really matter, I am ... curious. I've never seen anything like this before.
    I AM wanting to know how to clean it up though.. preferabl without ruining the field.

Happens on old arcade games all the time:
    The rubber is spontaneously reverting to its non-vulcanized state.

Here’s a cool article about the science behind this: https://functions-enable.com/qa/why-does-old-rubber-get-sticky.html

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/melting-rubbers?hl=smp14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.