• 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Crash
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

yNlQWRM (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

These YouTube videos of people putting scrap metal in a forge and melting it are fascinating. I have a small amount of scrap copper but don't have the ability to melt it down (don't have the equipment or the skills). Was wondering if anyone on Pinside did this as a hobby.

#2 2 years ago

I've been saving scarp PCBs, hard drives, CPUs, and just about every connector or prom with gold legs for many years. Always wanted to process out the gold and melt it down. Pretty sure there is a lot of copper mixed in since I really can't tell what is gold plated or copper plated.

#3 2 years ago

Back when I was a teen I bought the molds and stuff and melted several pounds of lead into fishing weights.

#4 2 years ago

I’m sure you’ll get rich doing this

#5 2 years ago

I am a metallurgist (with 20 years of experience in ferrous, nickel, and titanium alloys) I see these videos too and I am pretty skeptical. I guess it might be ok for backyard knives, but I would never use that type of metal for anything important. There are just way too many variables you can’t take in account in a garage furnace.

#6 2 years ago

What are you planning to do with a bar of copper? Seems like there isn't anything really practical to use a bar of copper on.

#7 2 years ago
yNlQWRM (resized).jpgyNlQWRM (resized).jpg
#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_S:

What are you planning to do with a bar of copper? Seems like there isn't anything really practical to use a bar of copper on.

A team of Chinese researchers have turned cheap copper into a new material “almost identical” to gold.

But really be careful with any back yard refining.....Fumes, Fires....Burns

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_S:

It would just be neat to have as a conversation piece. Anything small, like a coin or ingot. The small wire trimmings I have still have value, even if it's not much.

#10 2 years ago

Oh you want to talk to people? Pinside and metallurgy are not that. Drinking is far easier

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

It would just be neat to have as a conversation piece. Anything small, like a coin or ingot.

Agreed. Sometimes it just neat to just make something for the heck of it as a hobby.

#12 2 years ago

I would definitely do this.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotemwill:

I would definitely do this.

It's a cool idea. Do you mean you have done this already?

#14 2 years ago

I have a piece of property on a river that just has power and a trailer under a nice cover. Basically a great place to camp and party. For many years we have saved our aluminum cans so that we could put a tin can in the fire and melt the cans....then we just pour out the metal on a piece of cement for a nice big blob of aluminum.

2 months later
#15 2 years ago

How did you melt the aluminum cans and what container did you use? Would a yard take the melt as scrap aluminum?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/melting-and-forging-scrap-metal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.