Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Joker2415
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

KIMG2025 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Joker2415.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 6 years ago

I do remember something about old plastics from those time periods decomposing(?) over time, Shrinking, color change, And even putting off some kind of fume(?) or something that will corrode metal parts. Pocket and Wrist watch Plastic Crystals from that time period are a prime example of this! Not sure if the same type of plastics were used in pinball or not. Just saw the thread and kind of remembered something about it from working on watches as a hobby in the past.

I would imagine that it applies to most plastic of the time? And UV and heat from the lights, mentioned already.... Maybe it all plays into what happened. Even on my couple of projects from the 80's and 90's , the plastics are brittle and break pretty easy.

#10 6 years ago

All I remember is something about the reaction going on in the plastic and age has some kind of reaction with metal. Or will corrode metal.
    Too many pins might have the direction with that on the Nitrate and Acetate. I have no clue... I'll try to find an article I read on it. And post a link here if I find it. Basically it decomposes or starts reacting or something. I just know an old plastic crystal on a pocket watch will destroy and corrode the metal in the watch from whatever happens to the plastic. It shrinks, starts turning color, etc.....

ok..I'm just rambling...I'll go try to find the article...

#11 6 years ago

Here's a link that gives a really good description of what happens. This isn't the one I was looking for but will explain some until I find the other one. And I have no clue what type of plastic was used in pinballs. But the descriptions of what happens seem to match your pictures.

https://www.nps.gov/museum/publications/conserveogram/08-04.pdf

#13 6 years ago

I have a Mr and Mrs pacman. I finally got it working with a ton of help from an awesome member from pinside. Months of him helping me in PM's and threads. All the plastic drop targets looked great!! I took the drop targets apart, cleaned, touched up the paint on them, made them look almost new!!! After all of this? I broke most of them in one or two games from them being so brittle.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Joker2415.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/melted-looking-plastics?tu=Joker2415 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.