image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Motor Keeps Spinning, ball in outhole. From another thread I will unplug the head and then the coin door to try and eliminate routes of malfunction. I did solder a lamp socket with the playfield up but cannot see any visible solder drips, I was careful, but anything is possible . Score reels all read 0

#2 8 years ago

If you remove the ball from the outhole manually while the motor is spinning, does the motor stop? Sounds like it's trying to kick the ball into the lane. I think there's an outhole relay that fires when the game wants to serve up another ball. Either that relay, or the outhole kicker may not be firing.

/Mark

#3 8 years ago

I have a Sing Along that does the same thing. Narrowed it down to playfield. Haven't found it though. When I manually push the bank under the playfield, motor stops and machine plays great. What tells the coil to pull in is question I can't answer yet. Reason I know it's the playfield is I have two Sing Alongs and have switched playfields to narrow it down.

#4 8 years ago

Ball out or in outhole has no effect on score motor. I sort of removed that switch & relay to the coil from the problem spot checklist . A relay is energized it pulls in but the labels on the relay bank are missing . It's the very first one closest to the plunger (lower right) . I manually tried the trough switch and no help.

#5 8 years ago

Unplug coin door motor stops. One double switch on door run by the red/credit button . Two NC switches. Front half connects the red & blue crime the coin mech. The back half conn eats the bounce switch fed by a black & a white/black wire

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#6 8 years ago

Schematic pics

#7 8 years ago

Part II schematic

#8 8 years ago

Correction bounce switch is NC credit switch is NO

#9 8 years ago

Unplug head & the motor keeps spinning thus eliminating score reels and ball count unit correct?

#10 8 years ago

Watched back box and ball count unit steps and I moved all 4 reels they all went back to 0000

#11 8 years ago

Hi DeltaQueen
in the JPG-4, post-7 I see the symbol of the score-Motor - and I see MOST of the switches causing the Score-Motor to turn:
I and J: a bit "special", later
G, Y, R, W, F
(Score- ) Motor-1C: a bit "special", later
I see one MORE switch - I cannot read the letter (name) ???

The List of Relays -2, post-7 is hard to read ...

I suggest: Start a game -> Reset will be done -> NOW the Motor turns and turns -> YOU examine these Relays (Pulling ? or NOT pulling?): G, Y, R, W, F

It CAN BE: Relays are NOT pulling - just the switch (causing the Score-Motor turning is bent making "faulty-always contact".
Are there MORE switches drawn in the schema "causing the Score-Motor to turn ?
Please check and write about the results.
Greetings Rolf

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

Unplug head & the motor keeps spinning thus eliminating score reels and ball count unit correct?

In this case, unplugging the head will prevent the reset logic from detecting that the score reels are all at zero, and keep the score motor running instead. So you'll want the head plugged in.

To debug a basic "score motor running" problem, locate the score motor symbol on the schematic ('M' inside a circle, typically located near the bottom of the schematic), then read left to right to see all the switches that can cause it to run. Then check each of the corresponding relays (e.g,. W, S, etc.) and see which are energized/energizing. Then look up that relay on the schematic and see which switches cause it to energize.

But first step is to see which switch is causing the motor to run, and that requires knowing which relay.

And if Melody has a Control Bank of relays on the bottom board, make sure that's resetting. Usually on that era of game, the Control Bank needs to reset, and then the Reset relay needs to trip when the reset is complete (often is the 'DB' relay).

#13 8 years ago

Disconnected credit /start blue wire still spinning. The ball ejector coil is not firing seems to be the issue. I suck at schematics but it looks like motor 4c black/red and confirmed no juice going to outhole kicker coil

#14 8 years ago

G W R W F are not pulling in. The other point of contact for the motor (m inside a circle) is slate/red on 1C

If you say "start a game" it really is not starting it is always spinning with power on . Two ways to stop the spinning is to unplug the door or break the contact on the coin door bounce switch black / white-black

#15 8 years ago

G W R W F are not pulling in. The other point of contact for the motor (m inside a circle) is slate/red on 1C
If you say "start a game" it really is not starting it is always spinning with power on . Two ways to stop the spinning is to unplug the door or break the contact on the coin door bounce switch black / white-black

If none of G, Y, R, W, or F are energized, and the switch at motor 1C is open when the score motor is at the home position (switch stack down in the cam notch at motor position 1), then there's still one more path via a normally closed switch on I, and a switch closing on J. So see if J is energized, and see that the motor 1C switch opens.

If the relays aren't energized, then you'll want to check the switches to see if any of them are closed (i.e., not opening as they should).

But other than a random short, those are the only paths that can activate the motor.

#16 8 years ago

Not sure if this will Help but I have a video in slo mo of position 1 on the score motor . Can't post but if you email me I can attach. Thanks for the help folks

#17 8 years ago

My thought is relay F controls the ball eject competing the sequence without that firing the motor will spin forever . By manually resisting the bank with the start relay S , the motor stops but no ball eject .

#18 8 years ago

Ok picking thus up later I won't dive back in until tomorrow AM I appreciate the help folks

#19 8 years ago

My thought is relay F controls the ball eject competing the sequence without that firing the motor will spin forever . By manually resisting the bank with the start relay S , the motor stops but no ball eject .

No, that's not really how the startup works. Without the ball in the outhole, the reset should complete and the motor stop. Then placing the ball in the outhole should cause the motor to run again to have the ball kick out to the shooter lane.

So still need to work through which of those switches mentioned above is closed, and causing the score motor to run.

#20 8 years ago

DF,

Man finding 1C is easy, watching it burried under a stack of switches, not so easy, but I got the score motor out of the bracket so I can now see underneath. Relay J is NC for all 3 switches and is not energizing kind of weird for me, it's a 50 pt. relay... Now finding relay I, I'm working with a 49 year old game a few of the stickers have fallen off.... Process of elimination perhaps. I can also figure that out by tracing the wire colors feeding into I on the schematic. This one is stumping me and truthfully at only 4 years into the hobby I am way better at mechanical and cosmetic repairs than electrical but...... I am not a quitter. You have been really helpful, and I can see I and J in the path for the score motor so I am reading what you are reading on the schematic. Now looking at what I am seeing, well that's another animal.

DQ

#21 8 years ago

the only switch at 1C is NC at rest with score motor in HOME position. Still trying to find Relay I.

#22 8 years ago

also on the schematic is relay S, on the motor path above I and J ,that is associated with a reset bar that will stop the motor from turning when I manually reset it.

#23 8 years ago

just a thot, have you looked at the coin switches?

#24 8 years ago

You're not missing a lift actuator(little white plastic 'spacer') in that stack by any chance are you?

#25 8 years ago

Coin mech is fine not missing s spacer. Score motor stopped spinning after cleaning 1C but now start a game doesn't start the motor with a push of the credit button like it did a few days back. However Score motor runs if you close a NO switch at 1B then stops when the cam opens it again

#26 8 years ago

I had meant in the score motor stack.

#27 8 years ago

Me too , sorry Cssh, I combined both answers in one sentence to Two posts, the other on the coin There is no lift actuator on my start/ credit button the coin mech is removed. Just the blue & red wires on the front half of the switch switch

#28 8 years ago

Start/credit switch* not switch switch

#29 8 years ago

the only switch at 1C is NC at rest with score motor in HOME position

I suspect you may not have the locations of the score motor switches mapped correctly.

There are four (and a half) positions around the motor for the switch stack locations (1, 2, 3, 3 1/2, and 4), and then up to five 'levels', A through E. Level 'A' is at the bottom, even with the bottom cam disc, then 'B' is in between the cam discs, then 'C' is even with the top cam disc (the one with the notches in it), then 'D' is above the top cam disc, and 'E' is above that (rarely used).

So '1C' is at position 1, and is the level that is activated by riding on the edges of the top cam. There will be more than one switch at 1C.

#30 8 years ago

I got it Dirt still having same issues. What I have is the Score motor switch factory card , I pried it off the inside of the cabinet .

#31 8 years ago

#32 8 years ago

[working this via email currently...]

#33 8 years ago

Issue resolved big thanks to Dirt Flipper

#34 8 years ago

Care to share? Everyone could learn from it...including me. ; )

I used to have a nice Melody. I always wanted to get all 'colors' lit and then collect, but it never happened...tough to do. Fun game though. Probably my favorite BG artwork.

Enjoy your game.

#35 8 years ago

It was the D relay not pulling in to fire the coil to reset bank with the the S relay which runs the motor. On 2B there is a yellow/ blue wire which was cleaned & gapped . Also the J relay wasn't energizing that was a cleaning with 1000 grit sandpaper. I used an ignition file on most dirty contacts.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.