Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221231_172952 (1) (resized).jpg
Melody 1000s score reel reset (resized).jpg
Melody D relay (resized).jpg
C9D4C976-F281-41CE-9C5F-10646594F52A (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Ok so I created a problem after cleaning and rebuilding the bottom board in my melody. Spent all day chasing this problem with no luck so looking for opinions. When I try starting a game the start relay pulls in followed quickly with the reset relay pulling in, the score wheels all reset to zero and then the score motor just runs continuously. The ball count remains at zero. Any suggestions on where to look?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Forgot to mention if I manually index the ball count stepper everything stops as it should when I get the count to 5. Just can’t get the reset sequence to increment the count itself

#3 6 years ago

Found it!
Looks like a broken jumper on one of the reset relay switches. Tough one for my aging eyes to see!

C9D4C976-F281-41CE-9C5F-10646594F52A (resized).pngC9D4C976-F281-41CE-9C5F-10646594F52A (resized).png

4 years later
#4 1 year ago

I know this is really old but I'm having the same problem with my machine. It looks like my jumpers are all intact but it keeps cycling. If I manually press the left most relay in (labeled reset relay coil A-1118) then it properly starts up the game. I'm trying to determine if my coil is dead or not receiving the signal to switch. It looks like the set you have in your picture there but I can't figure out exactly why it's not doing anything.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from natgreystar:

If I manually press the left most relay in (labeled reset relay coil A-1118) then it properly starts up the game.

Sounds like you're most of the way there. All of these switches need to close for the D/Reset relay to fire:
Melody D relay (resized).jpgMelody D relay (resized).jpg
Does the B/1st Ball relay fire? If so you know that the four Score Reel switches on the right are working. If it doesn't, chances are that the issue is with one of the Score Reel switches.

You can inspect the switches, or try jumpering around one or more switches to see if you can determine which switch isn't closing.

/Mark

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Sounds like you're most of the way there. All of these switches need to close for the D/Reset relay to fire:
[quoted image]
Does the B/1st Ball relay fire? If so you know that the four Score Reel switches on the right are working. If it doesn't, chances are that the issue is with one of the Score Reel switches.
You can inspect the switches, or try jumpering around one or more switches to see if you can determine which switch isn't closing.
/Mark

That might be the problem! B never fires at startup and the thousands won't reset. I cleaned up the leafs on the reels and the thousands will turn on hundreds rollover but it doesn't reset to zero. I'll have to check the cables. I figured I would solve it later but I didn't check the schematic. Didn't even occur to me that it might be the cause of the whole problem. Well at least now a whole bunch of leaf switches are clean. Thanks a ton. I'll have to solve the thousands reset and see if my problem is gone.

#7 1 year ago

Yeah, the Score Motor is just trying to reset that Score Reel. The Score Reel problem is likely in one of these two switches:
Melody 1000s score reel reset (resized).jpgMelody 1000s score reel reset (resized).jpg

#8 1 year ago

I tried jumpering a bunch of spots and doing some continuity tracing and I just can't figure out the source for why the thousands never resets. The score works but reset does not. I've tried jumping it with the hundreds and I can make it spin but it never stops at zero. Now I have a weird thing where it just switches between game over and 1 ball forever. I know this has to be some dirty or bent leaf switches somewhere I just can't seem to trigger things consistently.

#9 1 year ago

I noticed a few leaf switches were broken. A bunch more are over bent. I've tried rebending the ones related to score back to a neutral position. This position I'm pointing to is a hooked lever like the one on top but it never touches anything. The one on top triggers a switch when the rods push it but the one on the opposite side has no switch. Is this just a mechanical element and not a switch? I want to make sure someone didn't just cut out a switch entirely.

20221231_172952 (1) (resized).jpg20221231_172952 (1) (resized).jpg
#10 1 year ago

I got it! A couple leaf switches were bent wrong and always touching causing it to never zero out. It seems the majority of problems with this machine are unmaintained leaf contacts or overbent ones. It's a pain figuring out how these need to be adjusted but feels great once this boots up a game normally. Now I just have to figure out why my game has 6 balls instead of 5.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from natgreystar:

Now I just have to figure out why my game has 6 balls instead of 5.

The machine starts out with 6 balls?
Check for worn rivets on the Ball Count's wiper board.
The rivets the snowshoe wiper's are on when in the 4th
step up. I believe it's the bottom outside row that may be worn.

#12 1 year ago

The switch blade with no wires is the motor brake.

#13 1 year ago

I finally got it all. Basically it was a cascade of problems because of those reset leaf switches being so close together and so worn down. Adjusting one would throw off another and they were really touchy. Cleaning the contacts with iso alcohol fixed most of my problems. Some of the contacts actually had grease on them but I didn't see it until they were fully apart.

Thanks for the tips all.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

1,150 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/melody-reset-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.