(Topic ID: 107615)

Melody Lane DIY power wiring gone wrong (i think)

By Kershawesome

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
pin1.JPG
pin3.JPG
pin2.JPG
pin4.JPG
#1 9 years ago

So i finally managed to grab my first real pin, a gottlieb Melody Lane in amazingly good condition, besides the backglass, which has been "restored". Still, only 8833 plays on it, which is cool.

ANYWAYS, whoever owned it before me took good care of it, but they installed a power switch inside the coin door with what im assuming is some suspect wiring. Now, i know little to nothing in this field, and i was hoping someone could give me some pointers? Here's what it looks like.

pin4.JPGpin4.JPGpin3.JPGpin3.JPG This is where the new plug has been installed and connected to an older power cord, which leads to the switch near the front coin door.

pin1.JPGpin1.JPGpin2.JPGpin2.JPG This is the power switch and the cord leading to it. Can anyone spot anything that might be wrong? I'm also assuming that fuses could be a problem as well, correct?

#2 9 years ago

Whats the problem you're having? Won't turn on?

#3 9 years ago

Haha, oh wow, did I forget to mention that part? Yes, it won't power on.

#4 9 years ago

So I tested some things and it doesn't seem to be that. Like I said before, I'm fairly clueless about this stuff, but I get this funny feeling its this guys fault:

image.jpgimage.jpg
#5 9 years ago

Bear in mind that if the playmeter is only the 4-digit style, then it's likely rolled over many, many times.

That's some serious reworking of the power though. Personally, I'd rip all that out and put it back to factory (which would have been just the line cord coming into the primary fuse and transformer). But as it sits, given the modifications, it would be challenging to provide guidance.

#6 9 years ago

Well to start, it looks like the previous owner was on the Yes side of the fence on the High Tap debate

3 weeks later
#7 9 years ago

So the problem has been resolved. It was apparently a stuck relay. However I'm still having problems (of course). Here's my current issues now that it's powering on.

1. Scoring

The scoring is doing this weird thing where the 1s will occasionally score fine, and occasionally the one point relay will lock on and stay locked on, buzzing loudly. Not every time though.

The tens, however, will only score on player 2s reel, even if the game is on player 1. 100s will still score on player ones reel though. However, scoring works fine for player two. I've checked both relays for the player 1/2 control and everything seeeeeeems fine but I might be wrong.

2. Reset

On a similar note, player 2s ones reel won't move when the game resets and the whole thing gets stuck and its a huge pain in the ass.

[EDIT: I fixed it also I'm stewpid]

3. Slingshots

One or two of the slingshots seem to "stutter" when triggered and I'm not entirely sure they're scoring or not.

So these are my current problems. Any advice?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/melody-lane-diy-power-wiring-gone-wrong-i-think and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.